Home Daily Current Affairs
William Mark Tully has been chosen for the 2018 RedInk award for lifetime achievement in journalism
- Sir William Mark Tully, the veteran British journalist, and former BBC India correspondent, has been chosen for 2018 RedInk award for lifetime achievement in journalism.
Heena Sidhu Indian shooter has won gold in the women’s 10m air pistol event at the International Shooting Competitions of Hannover in Germany
- Indian Shooter Heena Sidhu clinched the gold medal while compatriot P Shri Nivetha settled for bronze in the women’s 10m air pistol event at the International Shooting Competitions of Hannover, Germany.
Bindeshwar Pathak Indian personality has been honored with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan
- Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak, the founder of Sulabh International, has been honored with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution to Asia’s development. Pathak is among the three who have been conferred with the award. Others are Ma Jun (China) & Professor Nguyen Thanh Liem (Vietnam). Nikkei Inc.
Rajyavardhan Rathore has taken charge as the new Minister of Information and Broadcasting (I&B)
- In a Cabinet reshuffle, Col Rajyavardhan Rathore has taken charge as the new Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) on May 15, 2018. He replaced Smriti Irani. Mrs Irani will now only hold the portfolio of Minister of Textiles. A communique from the office of President Ram Nath Kovind said, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has been given an additional charge of Ministry of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affairs till Arun Jaitley, who underwent a kidney surgery recently, recovers from treatment.
The theme of 2018 International Day of Families is Families and inclusive societies
- The International Day of Families is observed every year on May 15 across the world to promote awareness of issues relating to families and increase knowledge of the social, economic and demographic progression that affects families. The 2018 theme “Families and inclusive societies” will explore the role of families and family policies in advancing Sustainable Development Goal 16 in terms of promoting peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched REPLACE comprehensive plan to eliminate trans-fat in foods by 2023
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched a comprehensive plan “REPLACE” to eliminate industrially-produced artificial trans fats from the global food supply by 2023. The elimination of trans fats is key to protecting the health and saving lives. The global health body estimates that every year, trans fat intake leads to over 5,00,000 deaths worldwide from cardiovascular diseases.
The first-ever executive committee meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) was held in Kolkata
- The 4th executive committee meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) was held in Kolkata, West Bengal on May 8-10, 2018 to curb wildlife crime in South Asian region. It was the first-ever meeting of SAWEN to be held in India since its inception in 2011.
Walmart-Flipkart deal: from wishlist to cart
- U.S. retail giant Walmart Inc. is set to acquire approximately 77% stake in homegrown e-commerce company Flipkart by paying $16 billion. A move that is expected to redefine the country’s e-commerce space, is, perhaps, the single biggest effort by Walmart to take on arch rival Amazon.
- While one of Flipkart’s founders, Sachin Bansal, will bid adieu to the firm, some of existing shareholders, including co-founder Binny Bansal, Tencent Holdings Limited, Tiger Global Management LLC and Microsoft Corp will continue to be part of the company.