♠The Hindu Review♠
The hindu review provide you daily current affairs and English for all Bank, SSC, Railway, UPSC, UPSSSC, CDS, UPTET, KVS, DSSSB and other Government exams.. Check daily The hindu review from The Hindu paper.
♦ PM Modi awarded Seoul Peace Prize in South Korea, says it belongs to people of India
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is on a two-day visit to South Korea, was Friday awarded the Seoul Peace Prize for 2018 for his “contribution to international cooperation and fostering global economic growth”. The award was presented to him by the Seoul Peace Prize Foundation. A short film on the life and achievements of PM Modi was also screened at the event.
- Dedicating the prize to people of India, PM Modi said, “I believe that this award belongs not to me personally, but to the people of India. The success that India has achieved in the last 5 years is due to aspirations, inspiration and efforts of the people of India. On their behalf, I accept the Award and express my gratitude.”
- “I dedicate this award to the 1.3 billion people of India for giving me the opportunity to serve them. I am honoured that this award is being conferred on me in the year that we celebrate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi,” he added. Modi is the 14th recipient of the award and the past laureates include former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and international relief organisations Doctors Without Borders and Oxfam.
♦ Paris Olympics organisers propose breakdancing among four sports for 2024 Games
- Breakdancing will become an Olympic sport in 2024 if the International Olympic Committee backs the inclusion of four sports proposed by the Paris Olympics organisers.
- The Paris 2024 organising committee said on Thursday the four sports – including surfing, skateboarding and sport climbing – would reflect the French capital’s identity and help take the Games out of stadiums and into the streets.
- The organisers said they wanted to deliver a Games that were “in keeping with the times and inspire new audiences and attract young people … and which can be played anywhere and anytime in urban and other environments.”
- Skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing will all be making their debuts in the 2020 Tokyo Games.
- Under new IOC rules first introduced for the Tokyo Games, Olympic host cities can hand-pick sports and propose them for inclusion in those Games if they are popular in that country and add to the Games’ appeal.
♦ Voter registration services get more accessible with Helpline at number 1950
- In view of the impending General Elections, the Election Commission of India has strengthened its Voter Helpline to make it easy for the Voters to get authentic information pertaining to their voter registration. The range of services provided by the Helpline Number 1950 have been refurbished and made easily accessible.
- The enrolled electors in the Electoral Roll can check the details of their personal information, the Polling Station planned for them to visit on the Poll Day and to know the contact details of Booth Level Officers, Electoral Registration Officers and District Election Officers, by using the Voter Helpline Mobile App or through http://www.nvsp.in portal or by calling 1950 Helpline Number. In the same line, services through SMS can also be availed by citizens by sending SMS without any cost to 1950.
♦ Shooting World Cup opens in Delhi
- The tournament will have 16 Tokyo 2020 Olympics quota places up for grabs. India are fielding a 23-member squad with 11 shooters in the non-competition Minimum Qualification Score category.
- Overall, around 503 shooters from 58 countries will be competing for top honours with eight of the 10 events offering Olympic quota places.
- With Apurvi Chandela and Anjum Moudgil already securing an Olympic quota in Women’s 10m air rifle event, the Indian contingent will compete for a maximum of 14 quota places in the event.
♦ India, Sri Lanka ink MoU to establish business centre for ICT incubators in Jaffna
- India and Sri Lanka today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to establish a business centre for ICT incubators in Jaffna through grant of 25 crore Sri Lankan rupees from India.
- The MoU was signed by High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka Mr. Taranjit Singh Sandhu, and Secretary, Ministry of Development Strategies and International Trade Mr. S. T. Kodikara in Colombo in presence of Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe.
- The centre would provide opportunities and enhance the enabling environment for Information Communication Technology (ICT) and other professional services in the Northern region inhabited by minority Tamils. The ongoing development projects in the province under India’s grant assistance include construction of Cultural Centre in Jaffna, school buildings to 27 schools, 3000 rainwater harvesting units and 25 model villages among others.
- It is part of Government of India’s continued efforts to assist and cooperate with Government of Sri Lanka in people-oriented development projects.
♦ UP CM launches Scheme for Adolescent girls
In Uttar Pradesh, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched Scheme for Adolescent girls today. The scheme focuses on girls aged between 11 to 14 years who have left studies and will take steps for proper nutrition and special care for them.
The state government also decided to observe Adolescent girls day on 8th of every month at Anganwadi centres across the state.
State Government will also launch Nutrition Campaign for the adolescent girls on 8th March. On the occasion, CM said that education for girls till graduation is the government’s responsibility and state government is very sensitive in this matter
♠Vocabulary (The Hindu)♠
- STAGNATION (NOUN): inactivity:(निष्क्रियता)
Synonyms: quiescence, stasis
Antonyms: movement, activity
Example: It is hard to bear the stagnation of the economy.
- MOMENTUM (NOUN): push:(ताक़त)
Synonyms: impulse, strength
Antonyms: meekness, weakness
Example: His efforts gained momentum.
- BANTER (NOUN): fun:(मज़ा)
Synonyms: chitchat, gossip
Antonyms: flattery, praise
Example: We had a lot of banter in the locker room.
- HEARTFELT (ADJECTIVE): sincere:(हार्दिक)
Synonyms: genuine, unaffected
Antonyms: insincere, pretended
Example: I pay my heartfelt regards to them.
- INCOMMODIOUS (ADJECTIVE): (असुविधाजनक)inconvenient
Synonyms: uncomfortable, awkward
Antonyms: convenient, handy
Example: The incommodious mattress caused me severe back ache.
- PLIGHT (NOUN): (दुविधा)dilemma
Synonyms: quandary, impasse
Antonyms: boon, blessing
Example: The international community should do more to protect the plight of these people.
- RATIFY (VERB): (पुष्टि करना)corroborate
Synonyms: validate, approve
Antonyms: veto, disapprove
Example: A number of countries have refused to ratify the treaty.
- EXORBITANT (ADJECTIVE): (अत्यधिक)extravagant
Synonyms: outrageous, extreme
Antonyms: inexpensive, moderate
Example: The President is right in pointing how the exorbitant cost of child care can be devastating for families.
Filler Based On The Hindu Editorial
Tough-talking: On Taliban reconciliation process
The Taliban reconciliation process is moving at a faster pace than was anticipated. Talks facilitated by Russia in Moscow this week, with mainstream Afghan politicians sitting around the table with Taliban leaders, are similar in their ……..(1)……… to the recent U.S.-Taliban talks in Qatar, though the two are rival processes. The U.S. and Russia have ………(2)………. the idea that peace in Afghanistan is not possible without major concessions to the Taliban, including dialogue without insisting on a cessation of violence. In the duration of the Moscow conference alone, Taliban fighters killed 47 security forces personnel in attacks in Kunduz, Baghlan and Samangan provinces. The U.S. and Russia have, in separate processes, agreed to sidestep the Ashraf Ghani regime in Kabul, and accepted the Taliban’s condition that it will not ………(3)……… with the elected Afghan government at this stage. And both the Russian and U.S. processes are dependent on cooperation from Pakistan, which retains its influence over the Taliban leadership. Clearly, the current talks with the Taliban are not within the “red lines” agreed to by all stakeholders in the past: they are not Afghan-led, owned or controlled, and the Taliban has not abjured violence, or sworn allegiance to the Afghan constitution before joining talks.
However, despite the deep and obvious misgivings in New Delhi, it would be pointless to ignore or reject the outcomes of the talks, where some progress has been made. The U.S. has managed to bring senior Taliban leaders to the table, and is discussing the contours of its ultimate withdrawal from the Afghan war. The Taliban has unequivocally renounced ties with al-Qaeda and the Islamic State, and committed to preventing Afghan soil from being used by foreign terrorists. For its part, Russia has ……….(4)………. conferences where Taliban leaders sat down with members of the Afghan High Peace Council and senior Afghan politicians, including some contesting in this year’s presidential elections. While India’s principled position that it will not directly or publicly talk to the Taliban until it engages the Afghan government remains valid, it is necessary that India stays ……….(5)……..of all negotiations and isn’t cut out of the resolution process. It is hoped that a robust channel is open between Indian intelligence agencies and all important groups in Afghanistan, including the Taliban, in order to ensure that Indian interests, development projects and citizens are kept secure. New Delhi must intensify its dialogue with regional and global stakeholders, and impress upon them that any dialogue with the Taliban must not come at the cost of the hard-fought victories of the Afghan people in the past two decades: on establishing constitutional democracy and the rule of law, and securing the rights of women and minorities.
C) Sort out
Question 6: Select the word which is most nearly the OPPOSITE MEANING as the word printed in bold as used in the passage.
C) Take back,
6-E(कदम से कदम मिलाए हुए)
Mail us at : email@example.com
Follow our Blog for Regular Updates:- Ambitious Baba
Like & Follow our Facebook Page:- Click here
Join our Facebook Group:- Click Here
Telegram Group:- Click Here
Subscribe our YouTube channel:- Click Here
Follow us on Twitter:- Click Here
Join us on Linked In:- Click Here
“Thanks & Be Ambitious”😊😊