All You need to Know About UNSC:
What is UNSC?
UN has Six main organs, in which UNSC is one of them. UNSC stands for United Nations Security Council. The main work of this organ is to maintenance of International peace and security.
- Headquarter: New York
- Members of UNSC
- Formation – 1945,The council held its first session on 17 January 1946.
In the UNSC, there are 15 members. In which 5 members are Permanent and 10 members are temporary.
- Permanent Members are : United States, the Russian Federation, France, China and the United Kingdom.
- Non-permanent Members are:
Temporary members are elected by General Assembly for the Two years period.
How to Pass resolution in UNSC?
In UNSC each members has one vote. To pass a resolution, there must be 9 Yes votes in favour of resolution and no “No” votes from any of the permanent members.
If a member “ABSTAINS” from voting, it does not count as either a “YES” or “NO” vote.
The presidency of the Council is held by each of the members in turn for one month.
UNSC FUNCTIONS :
All Members of the United Nations agree to accept and execute the decisions of the Security Council:
- to maintain international peace and security.
- to investigate any dispute or situation which might lead to international friction.
- to recommend methods of adjusting such disputes or the terms of settlement.
- to formulate plans for the establishment of a system to regulate armaments.
- to determine the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression and to recommend what action should be taken.
- to call on Members to apply economic sanctions and other measures not involving the use of force to prevent or stop aggression.
- to take military action against an aggressor.
- to recommend the admission of new Members.
- to exercise the trusteeship functions of the United Nations in ‘strategic areas.
- to recommend to the General Assembly the appointment of the Secretary-General and, together with the Assembly, to elect the Judges of the International Court of Justice.