Bill on linking Aadhar-Voter ID
Team Ambitiousbaba and AB are here with a Current Affairs Special Series. In this series, candidates will be introduced to current affairs topics daily, which will not only improve their general awareness but also will ensure that the candidates do not lack in any current affairs topic. Today’s Current Affairs topic is “Bill on linking Aadhar-Voter ID”
The Union Cabinet had cleared the bill which was pending demand of the Election Commission. The bill was looking for checking multiple entries in electoral rolls and to make them error-free. The Election Commission had ventured on an ambitious project to link Aadhaar numbers with electoral data.
Here is your 10-point to know the situation:
- The proposed bill will facilitate the youth on four different time of period to enroll as voters on every year.
- Currently only an individual who has reached at the age of 18 years as of January 1 can be eligible to enroll in the voters’ list.
- The Election Commission had told the government that the January 1 is the cut-off date which is fixed for the purpose strips several youngsters of participating in the electoral exercise held in a particular year.
- In the new bill the electoral law will be built ‘gender-neutral’ for service voters.
- As per provisions described in the current electoral law, an army man’s wife is qualified to be enrolled as a service voter but a woman army officer’s husband is not. After the parliament’s passing the bill this may be altered.
- The poll panel had suggested the law ministry to exchange the term ‘wife’ with ‘spouse’ in the provision in the Representation of the People Act related to service voters.
- As of now, those turning 18 on or before January 1 of every year are only allowed to register as voters. The Election Commission of India (ECI) had been pushing for multiple cut-off dates to allow more eligible people to register as voters.
- In March 2021 former law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had answered Lok Sabha in a written reply that the poll panel has intended to link the electoral roll with the “Aadhaar ecosystem” with a ”view to curb the threat of multiple enrolments of the same person at different places”.
- Supreme Court put the brakes on the Election Commission’s project to link UIDAI (Aadhaar) number with voters’ electoral data to check multiple entries in electoral rolls in August 2015.
- A proposal sent in August 2019 by the Election Commission, the electoral law should be rectified to authorize electoral registration officers to search Aadhaar number of existing voters as well as of those going for registering themselves in the voters’ list.
Election Commission of India:
Formed: 25 January 1950 (Therefore Voter’s day is celebrated on 25th January every year)
Headquarter: New Delhi
Chief Electoral Commissioner of India: Sushil Chandra
Election Commission of India is directly set up under the article of 324 of the Constitution of India. Article 324 gives ECI the power and authority to conduct, direct, supervises and controls the elections to parliament, state legislatures, the office of the president of India and the office of Vice president of India.
Question & Answer:
Q1. Who is the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India?
Ans. Sushil Chadra (24th CEC of India)
Q2. On which date India celebrates its ‘National Voter’s day’ every year?
Ans. 25 January
Q3. What is the theme of Voter’s day 2021?
Ans. Making our Voter Empowered, vigilant, safe and informed
|2021 Preparation Kit PDF|
|Most important PDF’s for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Exam : Download PDF Now|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Static GK/Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Banking Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|Computer Awareness Capsule 2.O||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise PDF 2020||Get PDF here|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2.O E-book||Get PDF here|