Current Affairs 11th and 12th December 2021, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2021: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 4-5 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2021.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2021, Daily GK Update 2021. All the important updates based on current affairs 2021 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2021 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2020 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2021 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2021.
NITI Aayog to establish 1,000 Atal Tinkering Labs in J&K
- The NITI Aayog has planned to establish 1000 Atal Tinkering Laboratories in Jammu and Kashmir. Out of 1000 Atal Tinkering Laboratories, 187 will be established by the end of the financial year 2021-22.
- Out of 187 ATLs, 31 are being established across government schools of J&k while 50 will be established in several educational institutions like KVs, JNVs, and Private schools.
- Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL) is a sub-mission under the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) of the Central Government in India. It is the flagship initiative of AIM, that seeks to nurture an innovative mindset amongst high school students across India.
About NITI Aayog:
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
UP cabinet approved “AtmaNirbhar Krishak development scheme”
- Uttar Pradesh Cabinet has approved the Atma Nirbhar Krishak development scheme for boosting the agriculture sector. The scheme will be implemented from the current financial year.
- Under this scheme, 1,475 Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs) will be formed in the next three years in each development block. Rs 1 lakh crore will be provided by banks and financial institutions as loans to Primary Agricultural Credit Societies, Marketing Cooperative Societies, Self Help Groups, farmers, and joint liability groups.
- All loans will be provided with an interest subvention of 3 percent per annum up to a limit of Rs 2 crore. The scheme will be funded through the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund (AIF).
About Uttar Pradesh:
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Cabinet approved Ken-Betwa River Interlinking Project
- Ken-Betwa inter-linking of rivers project has been approved by the Union Cabinet, which is chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- At 2020-21 price levels, the overall cost of the Ken-Betwa link project has been estimated at 44,605 crores. It will cover the states of UP and MP.
- The Union Cabinet has approved central support for the project in the amount of Rs. 39,317 crores, which includes a grant of Rs. 36,290 crores and a loan of Rs. 3,027 crores.
- The project will be implemented through a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) known as the Ken-Betwa Link Project Authority (KBLPA). The project will irrigate 62 lakh hectares annually, provide drinking water to a population of 62 lakhs, and generate 103 MW of hydropower and 27 MW of solar power.
India Skills Report 2022: Maharashtra retained top position
- As per the 9th edition of India Skills Report (ISR) 2022, released by Wheebox, Maharashtra has retained the top position in the list of states with the highest poll of employable talent followed by Uttar Pradesh and Kerala.
- Pune is the city with the most highly employable resources with 78% of the test takers scoring above 60 percent.
- As per the current edition, the overall employability in India has improved with 46.2% of the youth being found to be highly employable compared to last year’s employability standing at 45.97%.
- States with Maximum Hiring Activity: Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu are the 3 states that have a higher job demand.
- Theme of ISR 2022: ‘Rebuilding and Reengineering the Future of Work’.
Top 5 States with Highest Employability:
Haiderpur wetland in Uttar Pradesh recognized as India’s 47th Ramsar Site
- The Haiderpur Wetland abutting the Madhya Ganga barrage, about 10 km from Bijnor in western Uttar Pradesh, has been recognized under the 1971 Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.
- Uttar Pradesh is now home to 9 Ramsar wetlands. The wetland, which is a part of Hastinapur Wildlife Sanctuary, has also been identified under Namami Gange, a central flagship, as a model wetland along the Ganga. With this, there are now a total of 47 such designated areas in the country.
List of Ramsar Sites in Uttar Pradesh:
- Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary
- Parvati Agra Bird Sanctuary
- Saman Bird Sanctuary
- Samaspur Bird Sanctuary
- Sandi Bird Sanctuary
- Sarsai Nawar Jheel
- Sur Sarovar or Keetham Lake
- Upper Ganga River
- Haiderpur wetland
India assumed the chairmanship of Council of Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure of SCO
- India assumed the Chairmanship of Council of Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (RATS SCO) for 1 year from October 28, 2021.
- The National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS), Government of India, in association with Data Security Council of India (DSCI), as a Knowledge Partner, organized a 2-day Practical Seminar on ‘Securing Cyberspace in the Contemporary Threat Environment’ (on December 7 and 8, 2021) for delegates from SCO member States.
- The seminar is the 1st event to be hosted by India during its Chairmanship of Council of RATS SCO.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO):
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Founded: 15 June 2001
- Secretary-General: Vladimir Norov
World Talent Ranking report 2021: India ranked 56th; Switzerland retained top spot
- IMD World Competitive Centre published its “World Talent Ranking Report” on December 9, 2021. In the report, Europe has dominated the ranking in 2021. Global top 10 countries are from this region. Switzerland has retained its top spot. India has been ranked at 56th position.
- In the Middle East & North Africa, UAE maintained its second position, following Israel (first in this region). Israel has been ranked 22nd . In the Arab world, UAE maintained its top position. The UAE have improved its global talent ranking by one position to 23rd.
- Taiwan has been ranked at third place in Asia while at 16th place In Asia, Taiwan has been ranked behind Hong Kong (11) and Singapore (12) but ahead of South Korea (34), China (36), and Japan (39).
Top 10 in World Talent Ranking report 2021:
List of India’s Rank Different Index 2021
- 2021 Mercer CFS Global Pension Index (MCGPI) survey: 40th
- World Justice Project’s (WJP) Rule of Law Index 2021: 79th
- ‘Five years on: Global climate tech investment trends since the Paris Agreement’ report: 9th
- Global Drug Policy Index 2021: 18th
- Climate Change Performance Index 2022: 10th
- 2021 TRACE global Bribery Risk Rankings: 82nd
UNGA granted observer status to International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) granted Observer Status to International Solar Alliance (ISA) by adopting resolution 76/123.
- This decision has been taken based on the UNGA’s Sixth Committee report. In November 2015, ISA was jointly launched by India and France during the 21st session of the United Nations Climate Change COP-21 in Paris, France to promote solar energy among its Member Countries.
About International Solar Alliance (ISA):
- Founded: 30 November 2015
- Headquarters: Gurugram
- Membership: 124 members of UN
- Director-General: Ajay Mathur
Banking and Financial
ADB approved a USD 350 million loan to improve urban services in India
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved ~Rs.2653.05 crore (USD 350 million) policy-based loan to improve urban services in India.
- This loan supports the policies formulated by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) to benefit the urban poor, economically weaker section, and low-income groups.
- ADB will also provide knowledge and advisory support to MoHUA in program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
List of Loan approved by ADB in 2020-21
- $250 million: to support India’s National Industrial Corridor Development Program (NICDP)
- $61 Million: loan under ‘Agartala City Urban Development Project’
- USD 300 million: loan to improve access to healthcare in urban areas
- USD 1.5 billion: to India for COVID-19 vaccine procurement
- $125 million: for Uttarakhand water supply and sanitation projects
- USD 500 million: to GoI for enhancing the quality of school education mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on students’ learning
RBI approved LIC to increase stake up to 9.99% in IndusInd Bank
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has received approval from the Reserve Bank of India to increase its stake to 99 percent in IndusInd Bank of the total issued and paid-up capital of the private sector lender.
- The approval will be valid for 1 year i.e., up to December 8, 2022. At present, LIC holds a 4.95 percent stake in the IndusInd Bank.
- Recently, LIC had also received a similar kind of approval from RBI to increase its stake in Kotak Mahindra Bank to 9.99 percent.
About IndusInd Bank:
- Founded: 1994
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Sumant Kathpalia
- Tagline: We Make You Feel Richer
Federal Bank entered into Bancassurance Partnership with Star Health Insurance
- Federal Bank entered into a Bancassurance partnership with Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd as a corporate agent to provide health insurance products for the Bank’s 8.90 million customers across India.
- The Bank’s customers can avail benefits of Star Health’s retail products and group affinity products through the bank’s various distribution channels which help the customers to address their complete financial needs under one roof.
About Federal Bank:
- Founded: 23 April 1931 (as Travancore Federal Bank) at Nedumpuram, Thiruvalla, 2 December 1949; 71 years ago (as Federal Bank)
- Headquarters: Aluva, Kerala
- MD & CEO: Shyam Srinivasan
- Tagline: Your Perfect Banking Partner
Bank of Baroda signed an MoU with Centrum Housing Finance for Housing Loans
- Bank of Baroda signed an MoU with Centrum Housing Finance Limited (CHFL) for sourcing and financing housing loan borrowers under Co-Lending Model (CLM) mechanism.
- The Bank will penetrate deep into the markets of tier 2 & tier 3 cities at very competitive interest rates. Bank extends upto of 1000 crore as Housing finance in one financial year.
About Bank of Baroda (BoB):
- Founded: 20 July 1908
- Headquarters: Vadodara, Gujarat
- Managing Director & CEO: Sanjiv Chadha
- Tagline: India’s International Bank
- Amalgamated Banks: Dena Bank & Vijaya Bank in 2019
Appointment and Resignation
Catherine Russell appointed as the new head of UNICEF
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed Catherine Russell as the head of UN children’s agency UNICEF, also known as the United Nations Children’s Fund.
- Catherine Russell is an assistant to US President Joe Biden. She also heads the White House Office of Presidential Personnel. Russell will succeed Henrietta Fore, who resigned in July 2021 because of a family health issue.
- Founded: 11 December 1946, New York, United States
- Headquarters: New York, USA
- President: Tore Hattrem
Karnataka Bank won 2 DigiDhan Awards by MeitY for Highest BHIM-UPI Transactions
- Karnataka Bank has been conferred with two DigiDhan awards instituted by the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). The awards were given during Digital payment Utsav in New Delhi.
- The award recognized banks for achieving the target with the highest percentage in BHIM-UPI transactions under the private sector bank category consecutively for two years 2019-20 and 2020-21.
Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi honored with the 2022 Royal Gold Medal
- Acclaimed Indian architect Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi has been named for the Royal Gold Medal 2022 which is one of the world’s highest honours for architecture.
- The announcement for the same was made by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). Notably, worked under Le Corbusier (Designed Chandigarh) and Louis Kahn, he is a pioneer of modernist and brutalist architecture in India.
- In 2018, he became the first Indian architect to receive the Pritzker Architecture Prize. He is also an awardee of Padma Shri and the Padma Bhushan.
Neena Gupta received the 2021 DST-ICTP-IMU Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians
- Indian Mathematician Neena Gupta has received 2021 DST-ICTP-IMU Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians from Developing Countries for her outstanding work in affine algebraic geometry and commutative algebra.
- She is the third woman to receive Ramanujan Prize, which was first awarded in 2005 and is administered by Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics jointly with Dept Science and Technology and International Mathematical Union.
DRDO successfully test-fired Pinaka-ER, ADM & indigenous Fuzes
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test-fired Pinaka Extended Range (Pinaka-ER), Area Denial Munitions (ADM), and indigenously developed fuzes.
- Pinaka-ER is the upgraded version of the earlier version of Pinaka which has been in service with Indian Army. It has been designed in the light of emerging requirements with advanced technologies.
- ARDE, Pune has developed different fuzes for Pinaka rocket for different types of applications.
Launch Missile with range by DRDO IN NEWS
- “Prithvi II”-350 Km
- “K-4 nuclear”-3500Km
- “Nirbhay”: 1500Km
- Agni P Ballistic Missile: 1000 to 2000KM
- ‘Akash-NG’: 60 KM
- Agni-5: 5000 KM
11 December: UNICEF Day
- UNICEF Day is observed on December 11 every year, to spread awareness on saving children’s lives, defending their rights and helping them fulfil their potential from childhood to adolescence.
- The United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution to create UNICEF on 11 December 1946 to provide assistance to children who suffered the impact of World War II globally.
- Theme 2021: “to help children to recover from interruption and learning losses experienced through the pandemic in the last two years”.
11 December: International Mountain Day
- International Mountain Day (IMD) is observed globally on December 11 every year to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life.
- The day was established by the UN General Assembly in 2003 to encourage the sustainable development of mountains. United Nations had declared 2002 as the UN International Year of Mountains.
- Theme 2021: “Sustainable Mountain Tourism.”
12 December: Universal Health Coverage Day
- December 12 is observed as International Universal Health Coverage Day, which aims at raising awareness on the need for strong and resilient health systems and universal health coverage with multi-stakeholder partners.
- The United Nations General Assembly endorsed a resolution on December 12, 2012, urging countries to make rapid progress toward universal health coverage (UHC). The United Nations declared December 12 as International Universal Health Coverage Day on this day in
- Theme 2021: “Leave No One Behind When It Comes to Health: Invest in Health Systems for All”
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs