Current Affairs 11th May 2022 Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Prominent crossing in Ayodhya will be named after Lata Mangeshkar
- A prominent crossing in Ayodhya will be developed and named after legendary singer Bharat Ratna late Lata Mangeshkar who passed away on February 6 this year.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has instructed the Ayodhya administration to pick a significant crossing in the temple town and submit a proposal to the state government in the next 15 days to rename it after Lata Mangeshkar.
- Songs devoted to Lord Ram and Lord Hanuman sung by Lata Mangeshkar would also be played in Ayodhya. The Ayodhya Municipal Corporation has begun to identify key crossings throughout the city. The key crossing in Ayodhya on the way to Ram Janmabhoomi was most likely chosen for this project.
Note: List of Some Important Renamed Places
- Hoshangabad City, MP: Narmadapuram
- Shivpuri, MP: “Kundeshwar Dham”
- Babai, MP: “Makhan Nagar”
- Shivamogga airport, Karnataka: BS Yediyurappa Airport
- Rajasthan’s ‘Miyan ka Bada’ Railway Station: ‘Mahesh Nagar Halt’
Prasar Bharati signed MoU with ORTM on cooperation and collaboration in Broadcasting
- Prasar Bharati signed an MoU on cooperation and collaboration in Broadcasting with ORTM (Office de la Radio et de la Television)in Madagascar’s capital Antananarivo.
- It was signed by Abhay Kumar (India’s Ambassador to Madagascar) and ORTM DG Belalahy Jean Yves.
- This MoU will give international exposure to the Prasar Bharati as Madagascar National Television (TVM) will broadcast programmes from internal productions of Prasar Bharati.
- Capital: Antananarivo
- Currency: Malagasy Ariary (MGA)
- President: Andry Nirina Rajoelina
- Prime Minister: Christian Ntsay
Yoon Suk–Yeol took oath as new President of South Korea
- Yoon Suk-yeol has been sworn in as the president of South Korea in a ceremony held at Seoul’s National Assembly.
- He served as South Korea’s prosecutor general from 2019 to 2021 under Moon Jae-in (former president) rule. He played an important role in the conviction of Park Geun-hye (former President) as a chief prosecutor of South Korea.
About South Korea:
- Capital: Seoul
- Currency: South Korean won
- President: Yoon Suk-yeol
India elected as Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities for 2022-24
- India has been unanimously elected as the new Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities (AAEA) for 2022-2024 at the meeting of the Executive Board and General Assembly in Manila, Philippines.
- Commission on Elections, Manila was the current chair of AAEA. The new member of the Executive Board now includes Russia, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Taiwan and the Philippines.
- The Election Commission of India 3-member delegation headed by Deputy Election Commissioner Shri Nitesh Vyas, along with CEO Manipur Shri Rajesh Agrawl and CEO Rajasthan Shri Praveen Gupta, attended the Executive Board meeting at Manila and presented the work plan for 2022-23 as also futuristic activities for 2023-24 to the Executive Board.
World’s longest glass-bottomed bridge opened in Vietnam
- World’s Largest Glass Bottom Bridge was opened in It is called Vietnam’s Bach Long pedestrian bridge, which is 632m (2,073 ft) long and located 150m (492 ft) above a huge jungle.
- As per the reports, the Asian country has opened a glass-bottomed bridge suspended above a lush jungle. It surpasses a 526 m Glass Bottom Bridge in Guangdong, China.
- The Bach Long pedestrian bridge which means ‘white dragon’ in Vietnamese, suspends above the rainforest. The bridge can support up to 450 people at a time and the floor of the bridge is made from tempered
- Capital: Hanoi
- Currency: Vietnamese dong
- President: Nguyen Xuan Phuc
- Prime Minister: Pham Minh Chinh
Banking and Financial
Ministry of Finance released Rs 7,183.42 crore Revenue Deficit Grant to 14 states
- Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance released Rs 7,183.42 crore as a revenue deficit grant to 14 states. This is the 2nd monthly installment of the Post Devolution Revenue Deficit (PDRD) grant to states.
- The 14 States that have been recommended for Post Devolution Revenue Deficit (PDRD) grant by the Fifteenth Finance Commission during 2022-23 are Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tripura, Uttarakhand, and West Bengal.
- Fifteenth Finance Commission recommended Post Devolution Revenue Deficit (PDRD) grant to states. Post Devolution Revenue Deficit (PDRD) grant is provided under Article 275 of the Indian Constitution.
- The Fifteenth Finance Commission has recommended a total Post Devolution Revenue Deficit (PDRD) Grant of Rs 86,201 crore to 14 states for the financial year 2022-23.
- The Department of Expenditure (Ministry of Finance) will release the grant to the recommended states in 12 equated monthly installments (EMIs). With the recent release, the total amount of Revenue Deficit Grants released to the States in 2022-23 has gone up to Rs 14,366.84 crore.
LIC’s IPO, India’s largest at Rs 21,000 crore, subscribed 3 times
- An initial public offering (IPO) of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC), India’s biggest public offer, was subscribed 2.95 times on the last day of the offer period i.e., on May 9, 2022, generating bids totaling Rs 43,933 crore.
- This will help the government to raise about Rs 21,000 crore. Notably, against 16,20,78,067 shares on offer, 47,83,25,760 bids were received. With this IPO, the government has diluted its 3.5% stake in LIC through the Offer for Sale (OFS).
About Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC):
- Founded: 1956
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairperson: M R Kumar
- Chief Financial Officer: Sunil Agrawal
UPI hit record high in April 2022 with 5.58 billion transactions worth Rs 9.83 trillion
- According to the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), Unified Payments Interface (UPI), India’s flagship digital payments platform, has recorded 5.58 billion transactions worth Rs 9.83 trillion in April 2022.
- This is the highest ever number of transactions recorded by UPI. The monthly UPI recorded a 3.33% increase in transaction volume from 5.4 billion transactions worth Rs 9.6 trillion in March 2022.
- Compared to April 2021, the transaction volume increased by 111%, and the transaction value increased by nearly 100%. In April 2021, UPI processed 2.64 billion transactions worth Rs 4.93 trillion.
- The UPI had breached the USD 1 trillion mark in transaction values in the financial year 2021-22.
About National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
- Founded: 2008
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
HDFC Bank launched industry first digital 30-minute new car loan ‘Xpress Car Loans’
- HDFC Bank has launched an end-to-end digital car loan scheme named ‘Xpress Car Loans’ for its existing customers as well as new customers.
- The bank has integrated its lending application with automobile dealers throughout India. Buyers can apply for a maximum of Rs 20 lakh and the loan amount will be credited to the dealers’ accounts within 30 minutes.
- The facility is currently available for four-wheelers and will be soon rolled out to two-wheelers as well.
It is the industry’s first automotive lending experience, and it is expected to change the way automobile financing is done in India.
About HDFC Bank:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: August 1994
- CEO: Sashidhar Jagdishan
- Chairman: Atanu Chakraborty
- Tagline: We understand your world
Avinash Sable broke 30-year-old 5000 metre record
- India’s Avinash Sable broke a 30-year-old record of Bahadur Prasad in 5000m, setting a new national record with a timing of 13:25.65 at the Sound Running Track meet in San Juan Capistrano, USA.
- The 27-year-old from Maharashtra broke the old record of 13:29.70 set by Bahadur Prasad in 1992.
- Sable is well-known for erasing age-old records. The Tokyo Olympian has broken the 3,000-metre steeplechase record seven times. The first time his name entered the record books in this event, he erased Gopal Saini’s 37-year-old mark. He holds the national half-marathon record too.
Mascot, logo, theme song, and jersey of the 4th Khelo India Youth Games launched
- The mascot, official logo, theme song, and the official jersey of the Fourth Khelo India Youth Games were launched on 7th May 2022 at Panchkula, Haryana by Anurag Thakur, Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports. The name of the mascot is ‘Dhakad.’
- Haryana will be hosting the fourth edition of the youth games from 4th June to 13th June 2022 at Panchkula and other cities. The cities that will be hosting the games are: Panchkula, Chandigarh, Shahabad, Ambala, and Delhi.
- In this edition of the Khelo India Youth Games, over 8,500 athletes will be participating. Five traditional games have been introduced which are: thang-ta, gatka, mallakhamb, kalarippayattu, yogasana.
- Along with these, the athletes will be taking part in talent in 20 sports disciplines in this competition.
Earlier editions of the youth games:
- 2018- Delhi
- 2019- Pune, Maharashtra
- 2020- Guwahati, Assam
Book and Author
Prakash Singh authored a book titled “The Struggle for Police Reforms in India”
- Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu, released a book titled “The Struggle for Police Reforms in India: Ruler’s Police to People’s Police” authored by a former IPS officer, Prakash Singh in New Delhi, Delhi.
- This book documents the efforts made to bring about police reforms in India. The book provides the historical background to the origin of the Indian Police and traces the evolution during British Rule and subsequently since independence.
- In 1996, Prakash Singh filed Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the Supreme Court for reforming the police. In 2006, he got a favourable judgement from the Supreme Court, mandating country-wide police reform and issuing seven crucial directives to immediately start the implementation process.
- Prakash Singh, a 1959 batch IPS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, is the Chairman of the Indian Police Foundation (IPF). Prakash Singh has served as the Police Chief of 2 of the largest states of India: Uttar Pradesh and Assam, and also Director General of India’s Border Security Force (BSF).
5 May: World Password Day 2022
- World Password Day is annually observed across the globe on the first Thursday of May to emphasis about the role strong passwords that secures all of our digital lives.
- The World Password Day 2022 falls on 5th May 2022. This also marks the observance of the 8th World Password Day. World Password Day 2023 will be observed on 4th May 2023.
- World Password Day was initiated by Mark Burnet, a security researcher, who encouraged people to have a specific day as “Password Day”.
- Later in 2013, Intel created and declared a day dedicated to password security, known as World Password Day.
11 May: National Technology Day
- National Technology Day is observed every year on 11th May across the country. National Technology Day has significant historical importance in India.
- Every year on this day, officials pay honour to India’s scientists for their achievements. This day is commemorated as an achievement of India’s technical advances, since on May 11, 1998, the country successfully tested nuclear weapons in Pokhran.
- It was on 11th May 1998, that India achieved a major technological breakthrough by successfully carrying out a series of nuclear tests at Pokhran. In addition, the first indigenous aircraft “Hansa-3” was tested on this day, besides which, India also performed a successful test firing of the Trishul missile on the same day.
- Considering the technological advancements, the then Prime Minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, declared 11th May to be celebrated as National Technology Day every year.
- Theme 2022: “Integrated Approach in Science and technology for sustainable future”.
Chess’ 1st centenarian & world’s oldest chess grandmaster Yuri Averbakh passed away
- Russian chess grandmaster Yuri Averbakh who was among the world’s best players for a decade, trained world champions and was the last surviving participant in one of the greatest competitions in history, has died in Moscow at 100.
- He won the Moscow Championship in 1949 and earned the Grandmaster title in 1952. In 1954, he became the champion of the USSR. He also chaired the Chess Federation of the USSR from 1972 to 1977.
Former Union Minister Pandit Sukh Ram passed away
- Veteran Himachal Pradesh Congress leader and former Union minister Pandit Sukh Ram has passed away at 94.
- He was the Union Minister of State, Communications (Independent Charge) from 1993 to 1996 and a member of Lok Sabha from the Mandi constituency (Himachal Pradesh).
- He won the Lok Sabha elections three times and the Vidhan Sabha elections five times. In 2011, he was sentenced to five years of imprisonment for corruption when he was Communications Minister in 1996.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs