Current Affairs 16th and 17th July 2022 Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
NASSCOM partnered with Google for DigiVaani Call Center
- Nasscom Foundation has partnered with Google to set up a call centre in collaboration with non-profit Indian Society of Agribusiness Professionals (ISAP) to help women farmers scale up their business. It’s called the ‘DigiVaani’ Call Center.
- Objective- To help women farmers scale up their business.
- The project is being run on a pilot basis to initially reach out to 20,000 rural women entrepreneurs across six states – Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana and Rajasthan.
- The project has been funded by Google through its philanthropic arm Google.org.
- A DigiVaani call centre has been set up at the Delhi and Lucknow offices of the with combined headcount of 19 people. Any decision to scale up DigiVaani will be taken after a year.
About National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM)
- Founded – 1988
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Chairman – Krishnan Ramanujam
- President – Debjani Ghosh
Government sets up committee to develop framework on right to repair; chaired by Nidhi Khatri
- The Department of Consumer Affairs has set up a committee in developing a framework for the ‘Right to Repair’.
- The committee will be chaired by Nidhi Khatri (Additional Secretary of Department of Consumer Affairs).
- Aim: To empower consumers and product buyers in the local market, harmonize trade between the original equipment manufacturers and the third-party buyers and sellers.
- The key sectors identified for this framework include Farming Equipment, Mobile Phones/ Tablets, Consumer Durables and Automobiles & Automobile Equipment.
- The right to repair has been recognized in many countries, including the US, the UK and the European Union. In the US, the Federal Trade Commission has directed manufacturers to remedy unfair anti-competitive practices and asked them to make sure that consumers can make repairs, either themselves or through a third-party agency.
- SEBI constituted Advisory Committee for ESG-related matters- Navneet Munot
- RBI constituted committee to review customer service standards at banks, NBFCs- B.P. Kanungo
- SC appointed 3-member committee to manage functioning of All India Football Federation- AR Dave
- Uttarakhand formed panel to implement Uniform Civil Code- Ranjana Desai
- SEBI restructured its Mutual Funds Advisory Committee- Usha Thorat
Defence Ministry sets up Apex Committee for Performance and Efficiency Audit
- The defence ministry has set up an apex committee to conduct ‘performance and efficiency’ audit of capital procurements, logistics, inventory and maintenance of assets of the armed forces.
- The committee, headed by the defence secretary, will advise Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on measures for overall improvement in strengthening of internal oversight and risk management framework in various aspects of functioning of the ministry.
- The members of the committee include Vice Chiefs of the three Services, Secretary Defence (Finance), Chief of Integrated Staff Committee, Controller General of Defence Accounts, Director General (Acquisition), etc.
- This kind of audit is expected to provide valuable inputs to the top management of the ministry of specific shortcomings, if any, in planning and execution of projects, and suggest systemic improvements in internal controls, soundness of financial procedures, identification of risk factors, etc.
PM Modi inaugurated Bundelkhand Expressway in Uttar Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Bundelkhand expressway in Jalaun district of Uttar Pradesh, which is expected to boost connectivity and industrial development in the region.
- The 296 km four-lane expressway has been constructed at a cost of around ₹ 14,850 crore.
- The foundation stone for the project was laid by the Prime Minister on February 29, 2020. Work on the expressway has been completed within 28 months.
- The expressway has been constructed under the aegis of Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority and can later be expanded up to six lanes as well.
- The 296-kilometre long, four-lane Bundelkhand Expressway passes through seven districts, Chitrakoot, Banda, Mahoba, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Auraiya and Etawah.
- The budgetary allocation of Rs 1.99 lakh crore for the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways in Budget 2022-23 is the highest ever. This is a jump of over 550% when compared to the allocation of about Rs. 30,300 crores in 2013-14.
- Over the span of last seven years, the length of National Highways in the country has gone up by more than 50% from 91,287 km (as on April 2014) to around 1,41,000 km (as on December 31, 2021).
About Uttar Pradesh
- Capital – Lucknow
- Chief Minister – Yogi Adityanath
- Governor – Anandiben Patel
Varanasi to be 1st cultural and tourism capital of SCO
- Varanasi will be declared the first Cultural and Tourism Capital of the SCO for 2022-23.
- It was announced by Secretary General of the bloc Zhang Ming.
- It is a new rotating initiative by the eight-member organization to promote people-to-people contacts and tourism among the member states.
- The holy city of Varanasi is showcasing India’s culture and traditions over the ages.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- Founded – 2001
- Headquarters – Beijing, China
- Secretary General – Zhang Ming (China)
- Member Countries – 9 (Iran, China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan & Uzbekistan)
- SCO Summit 2021 – Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
- SCO Summit 2022 – Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
- SCO Summit to be hosted by the Indian side in 2023
- The founding members (5) of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) were China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan. India and Pakistan officially joined this organization in 2017
KVIC launched knowledge portal to provide design directions to Khadi institutions
- The knowledge portal for Khadi is a platform developed by the center of excellence for Khadi to provide design directions to the Khadi Institutions.
- The portal was launched by Preeti Verma CEO of KVIC.
- The Center of Excellence for Khadi has been set up by KVIC, Ministry of MSME at NIFT, to support Khadi Institutions.
- The portal will be hosted on the website of the Center of Excellence for Khadi.
- The information will be updated twice a year to provide directions according to the seasons and trends. It is envisaged that the information will be of value to not only Khadi institutions but also to organizations providing support to develop apparel, home products, and packaging for Khadi.
Uttarakhand CM launched Uttarakhand police app and e-FIR service
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami has launched the Uttarakhand police app and e-FIR service.
- The police app is an integrated version of five online services provided by the State police. These are Lakshya Nasha Mukt Uttarakhand, Meri Yatra, Gaura Shakti, Traffic eye, and Public eye.
- The emergency number 112 and cyber helpline number 1930 have also been connected to this app.
- Capital – Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
- Chief Minister – Pushkar Singh Dhami
- Governor – Gurmit Singh
NHPC signed two MoU for development of Pilot Green Hydrogen Technologies
- NHPC has signed two MoUs for the development of ‘Pilot Green Hydrogen Technologies’ to reduce the carbon footprint in the Power Sector in Leh and Kargil of Ladakh.
- As per MoU signed for Leh district, NHPC shall consider the development of Pilot Green Hydrogen fuel cell-based Microgrid.
- According to the MoU signed for the Kargil district, the hydrogen generated in Kargil will be used in fuel cells, capable to run two buses for up to 8 hours in the local area.
- These two pilot projects will create a roadmap for future development of Green Hydrogen and subsequent reduction of carbon emission in the transportation/heating sector and will also attract long-term investment in the Hydrogen economy creating different revenue streams and job opportunities for the youth of Ladakh.
- RIL partnered with Athletics Federation of India to support Indian Athlete
- Vedanta partners with IIT Madras incubated startup
- SBICAP Ventures Ltd (SVL) signed an MoU with MEA for Trilateral Development Cooperation Fund
- HAL signed an agreement with Safran to build helicopter engines
- Health Ministry and Panchayati Raj Ministry signed an MoU to eliminate TB
Banking and Financial
RBI and Bank Indonesia signed an MoU to improve mutual cooperation
- The RBI and the Bank Indonesia has signed an MoU in Bali Indonesia to improve mutual cooperation between them.
- With this MoU, RBI and BI committed to deepening relations between the two central banks and strengthening the exchange of information and cooperation in the area of central banking.
- It includes payment systems, digital innovation in payments services, and a regulatory and supervisory framework for Anti Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (AML-CFT).
- The MoU will also provide a good basis for promoting mutual understanding, developing efficient payment systems, and achieving cross-border payment connectivity.
- RBI Governor – Shaktikanta Das
- Bank Indonesia Governor – Perry Warjiyo
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Founded – 1 April 1935
- RBI Nationalized – 1 January 1949
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- RBI set up – Hilton Young Commission
- 1st Governor – Sir Osborne Smith (Australia)
- 1st Indian Governor – CD Deshmukh
- 25th Governor – Shaktikanta Das
- RBI Deputy Governor (4) – 1. Tavarna Rabi Sankar
- Mukesh Kumar Jain
- Michael D Patra
- M Rajeshwar Rao
- Four Subsidiaries of RBI
- Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation of India (DICGC)
- Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Private Limited (BRBNMPL)
- Reserve Bank Information Technology Private Limited (ReBIT)
- Indian Financial Technology and Allied Services (IFTAS)
- Four currencies note printing presses
- Nashik in Maharashtra owned by govt of India
- Dewas in Madhya Pradesh owned by govt of India
- Mysuru in Karnataka owned by RBI
- Salboni in West Bengal owned by RBI
- Four mints owned by the Government of India
Mumbai, Hyderabad, Calcutta and Noida
Kotak Mahindra Bank completed integration with new tax portal
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has completed technical integration with the new e-filing portal (eportal.incometax.gov.in) of the Income Tax department.
- It has become one of the first private sector banks to be integrated for direct tax payments.
- Its customers can now pay their direct taxes through the e-pay tax tab on the portal using Kotak net banking or by visiting a branch. This will make the tax payment process simple, instant, and convenient for customers, said the bank.
- Last October, Kotak Mahindra Bank became the first scheduled private sector bank to receive approval as a collections partner for taxes, after the announcement to permit all banks to participate in government business.
About Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Founded – 2003
- Founders – Uday Kotak
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman – Prakash Apte
- MD & CEO – Uday Kotak
India’s WPI inflation at 15.18% in June
- The Wholesale Price Index (WPI) of India for the month of June 2022 is 15.18% (Provisional), is marginally lower than the WPI number of 88% in May, 2022.
- Reason of high rate of inflation- Rise in prices of mineral oils, food articles, crude petroleum & natural gas, basic metals, chemicals & chemical products, food products etc.
- Fuel and Power category- Index increased by 0.65% to 155.4 in June.
- It remained in double-digit for the 15th straight month.
Previous Months Wholesale Price Index (WPI)
- June 2022 – 15.18%
- May 2022 – 15.88%
- April 2022 – 15.8%
- March 2022 – 14.55%
- February 2022 – 13.11%
- January 2022 – 12.96%
About Wholesale Price Index (WPI)
- WPI is an index that measures and tracks the changes in the price of goods in the stages before the retail level.
- The base year for the Wholesale Price Index (WPI) is 2011-12.
- The WPI is published by the Economic Adviser of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Appointment and Resignation
VK Singh appointed as Director (Technical) of REC
- K. Singh has appointed as Director (Technical) of REC Limited.
- Before this elevation, Singh was Executive Director in REC holding portfolio of key business areas.
- REC is an NBFC focusing on power sector financing and development across India.
- Established in 1969, REC Limited has completed over fifty years in the area of its operations.
- Director General of Federation of Indian Fantasy Sports (FIFS) – Joy Bhattacharjya
- India’s next Ambassador to Bhutan – Sudhakar Dalela
- NaBFID Managing Director – G Rajkiran Rai (recommend)
- Additional charge as NIACL CMD – Madhulika Bhaskar
- New president of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) -T Raja Kumar
Google Parent Alphabet appointed Goldman Sachs Veteran, Marty Chavez to Board
- Wall Street veteran Marty Chavez is joining the board of Google parent Alphabet Inc. adding significant finance muscle to the technology giant. His appointment marks the first change to the Alphabet board since 2020 when former Google Chief Executive Officer Eric Schmidt departed.
- Chavez, a vice chairman and partner with Sixth Street Partners, has worked as an investor and software executive but is best known for his 20-year tenure at Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
- His appointment marks the first change to the Alphabet board since 2020, when former Google Chief Executive Officer Eric Schmidt departed.
- Founded – 1998
- Founders – Larry Page and Sergey Brin
- Headquarters – Mountain View, California, US
- CEO – Sundar Pichai
Dia Mirza honoured with Mother Teresa Memorial Award by the Maharashtra government
- The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) National Goodwill Ambassador Dia Mirza, and Environmental Activist Afroz Shah were felicitated with Mother Teresa Memorial Awards for Social Justice 2021.
- The award is given by the Government of Maharashtra Bhagat Singh Koshyari at Raj Bhavan, Mumbai.
- They were awarded for their commendable and notable achievements in Environmental Sustainability.
- Dia Mirza was awarded for her astounding and notable efforts in leading pivotal environmental campaigns across India as the Goodwill Ambassador of UNEP, India.
- Afroz Shah was awarded for his impeccable and seminal efforts to lead one of the world’s largest beach clean-up movements in India that have inspired people around the world.
- Capital – Mumbai
- Chief Minister – Eknath Sindhe
- Governor – Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Mrs Universe Divine Crown in South Korea – Pallavi Singh (India)
- Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star award by Japan Govt. – Narayanan Kumar VC of Sanmar Group
- CII Quality Ratna Awards 2021 – Ashok Soota
- Shiromani Award at NRI World Summit 2022 – Michelle Poonawalla
- Best Film award at the IIFA Awards – Shershaah
Rajnath Singh launched Project 17A stealth frigate ‘Dunagiri’
- Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has launched the fourth P17A stealth frigate ‘Dunagiri’ into the Hooghly River in Kolkata.
- The Project 17A frigate is built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders Limited.
- The P-17A class is a follow-on of the P-17 Shivalik Class with improved stealth features & advanced weapons.
- The first two ships of the P17A Project were launched in 2019 and 2020 at MDL and GRSE respectively. The third ship (Udaygiri) was launched at MDL on 17 May 22 earlier this year.
- Security challenges in the Indian Ocean region and Indo-Pacific are constantly increasing. In order to achieve the Prime Minister’s Vision of ‘SAGAR’, i.e., Security and Growth for All in the Region’ and to protect, preserve and promote India’s national maritime interests, the Indian Navy, Indian Coast Guard and other organizations have to increase the infrastructure and assets so that the country stays ahead of the curve in dealing with these challenges.
Syngenta India launched Biodiversity Sensor Project with IIT Ropar to monitor farm insects
- Syngenta India, a global agri-business major has launched a unique biodiversity sensor project in partnered with the Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, Punjab to study the behaviour of insects around farms, particularly bees and butterflies.
- Syngenta also flagged off India’s first Drone Yatra, that will travel 10,000 kms to create awareness on drone spraying among 10,000 farmers.
- The Yatra will travel to 13 states (Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka) to demonstrate and educate farmers on use of drones.
- The project includes a centralised biodiversity data repository that can be shared and tracked. The biodiversity monitoring will be done by a modem-like sensor that has a camera to capture real-time images of bees and butterflies flying across it on a farm where it is deployed.
- The sensor will be run on solar power and machine learning will also be used in capturing data.
IOA announced 322-member Indian contingent for Commonwealth Games
- The Indian Olympic Association has announced a 322-strong contingent including 215 athletes and 107 officials and support staff for the upcoming Birmingham Commonwealth Games.
- The Games are scheduled to be held in British city from July 28 to August 8, 2022
- Team India will compete in 15 sporting disciplines as well as four disciplines in the para sports category.
- Rajesh Bhandari, vice president of Boxing Federation of India (BFI), is the Chef de Mission of the squad.
Indian Grandmaster Aravindh Chithambaram won tournament in Spain
- Indian Grandmaster Aravindh Chithambaram has emerged winner in the 41st Villa De Benasque International Chess Open in Spain. Chithambaram’s coach R B Ramesh praised his ward for the title.
- He defeated Armenia’s Robert Hovhannisyan and compatriot Raunak Sadhwani on the basis of tie-break score here.
- Sadhwani finished in third place behind the Armenian.
- Chithambaram is also a former national champion.
Grand Master of India (Chess)
- 74th – Rahul Shrivastava P (Telangana)
- 73rd – Bharath Subramanian (Tamil Nadu)
- 72nd – Mitrabha Guha (West Bengal)
- 71st – Sankalp Gupta (Maharashtra)
- 70th – Raja Ritwik (Telangana)
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs