Current Affairs 16th February 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Rajasthan topped solar electrification under Saubhagya Scheme
- Under the Saubhagya scheme, Rajasthan has the maximum number of households electrified through the solar-based standalone system.
- In hill states of Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim and the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir had nil beneficiaries under the initiative. Under the Saubhagya Scheme, 2.817 crore households were electrified up to March 31 last year, including 4.16 lakh through solar-based standalone systems.
- Under the Saubhagya scheme, as many as 1,23,682 households were electrified through the solar-based standalone system in Rajasthan, followed by Chhattisgarh (65,373), Uttar Pradesh (53,234), Assam (50,754), Bihar (39,100), Maharashtra (30,538), Odisha (13,735), Madhya Pradesh (12,651), Power Minister R K Singh told the Lok Sabha.
- The Saubhagya scheme was launched on 25th September 2017 to achieve universal household electrification covering every village and every district in the country. Scheme outlay is 16,320 crore including Gross Budgetary Support of 12,320 crores.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
Govt sanctioned Rs 2.26 crores for Medaram Jatara Festival of Telangana
- The Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India, has allocated 2.26 Crores for Medaram Jatara 2022 Festival in Telangana.
- In 2022, the festival is being held from February 16 to 19, Medaram Jatara is the second-largest fair in India, after the Kumbh Mela.
- Medaram Jatara is conducted in honour of the Goddesses Sammakka and Saralamma. It was declared a State Festival in 1998.
- The four-day tribal festival is celebrated once in two years in the month of “Magha” (February) on the full moon day, in Medaram Village of Mulugu district in Telangana. The festival is organised by the second-largest Tribal Community of Telangana, the Koya tribe, in collaboration with the Tribal Welfare Department, Government of Telangana.
Famous festivals of Telangana:
- Bathukamma Festival
- Sammakka Sarakka Jatara
- Monthy Jataras
Telangana flagged off first-ever all-women officers sailing expedition
- Telangana Governor Tamilisai Sounderarajan has flagged off historic first-ever all-women officers offshore sailing expedition of Indian Army between Chennai Vizag Chennai at Chennai Port Trust.
- Governor praised Indian Army for opening its doors to women and the enhanced role and respect that they command to this day.
- Women officers completed grueling training for the expedition which is yet another step towards women empowerment.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- Chief minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
LAHDC, Leh launched “Kunsnyom scheme” for differently abled persons
- Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), Leh has launched Kunsnyoms scheme for differently-abled persons.
- Kunsnyoms = Equal for All, Fair for All and aims inclusive and accessible Ladakh. Under this, Leh Hill council is providing assistive devices, technologies to needy people at 90 percent subsidy.
- Under the scheme, 28 tri-scooters, battery-run wheelchair, walking aids and other aids required for special needs of the individuals has been distributed.
- Union territory Fomation: 31 October 2019
- Capitals: Leh, Kargil
- Lieutenant Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
Centre constituted Ken-Betwa link Project Authority, and 20-member National Steering Committee headed by Pankaj Kumar
- The Central Government has constituted a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) i.e., Ken-Betwa Link Project Authority (KBLPA) for the implementation of the Ken-Betwa interlinking of rivers (ILRs) project. The SPV will be headed by a CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of additional secretary rank.
- It also formed a 20-member National Steering Committee (SC) which will monitor the implementation. The committee will be chaired by the Secretary (Currently- Pankaj Kumar), Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The river Betwa or Betravati which is also called river Vetrawati in Sanskrit one of the major river basins of Madhya Pradesh (MP). It is a tributary of the Yamuna. It rises in the Vindhya Range just north of Hoshangabad in MP and flows north-east through MP and Orchha to UP.
List of Latest Committee and Headed by
- SEBI reconstituted 20 members Market Data Advisory Committee (MDAC): S Sahoo
- Ministry of Home Affairs constituted a committee to enquire into the serious lapses in the security arrangements during PM Modi’s visit to Punjab: Sudhir Kumar Saxena
- SC appointed a high-level committee to investigate PM’s security breach in Punjab: Indu Malhotra
- SEBI restructured High-Power Advisory Committee on Settlement Orders and Compounding of Offences: Jai Narayan Patel (previously headed by Vijay C Daga)
- SEBI restructured Advisory Committee on Investor Protection and Education Fund: G Mahalingam (earlier headed by Abraham Koshy)
India blocked 54 Chinese mobile apps over security threat and privacy risks
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology issued interim directions to ban 54 mobile applications of Chinese origin. India has banned a total of 321 Chinese apps since May-June 2020.
- The ban was recommended by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), as these apps pose a threat to India’s security. The 54 apps allegedly obtain various critical permissions and collect sensitive user data.
- The banned apps include Garena Free Fire; Beauty Camera: Sweet Selfie HD; Rise of Kingdoms: Lost Crusade; Viva Video Editor; Tencent Xriver among others.
- MeitY had banned the apps under Section 69A of the Information Technology Act 2000 which empowers to issue directions for blocking for public access of any information through any computer resource. Read more here
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
- President: Xi Jinping
Banking and Financial
Vedanta tied up with Foxconn to form joint venture to manufacture semiconductors in India
- The Indian mining major Vedanta has tied up with Taiwanese electronics manufacturing company, Hon Hai Technology Group (better known as Foxconn) to form a joint venture (JV) for manufacturing semiconductors in India. Anil Agarwal, the non-executive Chairman of Vedanta, will be the Chairman of the JV company.
- This is the first JV in the electronics manufacturing sector after the government announced a Rs 76,000 crore production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for semiconductor and display manufacturing, to create an ecosystem of local production of semiconductors in India.
- Vedanta will be the majority shareholder in the JV while Foxconn will hold minority share.
Wholesale price-based inflation declines to 12.96% in January
- India’s wholesale inflation eased to 12.96 % in January from 13.56 % in the previous month. The Wholesale Price Index (WPI) based inflation has declined consistently in recent months.
- It fell from 14.87 % in November 2021 to 13.56 % in December 2021 and further to 12.96 % in January 2022. However, inflation still remains at an elevated level and is a matter of concern for economic policymakers.
- “The high rate of inflation in January 2022 is primarily due to rise in prices of mineral oils, crude petroleum & natural gas, basic metals, chemicals, and chemical products, food articles etc as compared the corresponding month of the previous year”.
- Wholesale food inflation hardened during the month of January. The rate of inflation based on WPI Food Index increased marginally from 9.24 % in December 2021 to 9.55 % in January, 2022. Prices of Minerals rose by 11.08 % and non-food articles became costlier by 0.37 % in January 2022 as compared to December 2021.
Appointment and Resignation
Vineet Joshi appointed as new Chairman of CBSE
- IAS Vineet Joshi has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
- He replaced IAS Manoj Ahuja, who has been appointed as the Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- Mr Joshi, a 1992-batch IAS officer of the Manipur cadre, is an Additional Secretary, Department of Higher Education, under the Ministry of Education. He is also the Director-General of the National Testing Agency (NTA). In 2010 as well he got the responsibility of CBSE chairman.
About Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE):
- Head Office: Delhi
- Founded: 2 July 1929
- Chairperson: Vineet Joshi
Gita Mittal appointed as chairperson of Committee of Administrators to run TTFI
- The Delhi High Court has appointed former Chief Justice of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court, Gita Mittal as the Chairperson of the Committee of Administrators which will run the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI).
- The court ordered that all communications on behalf of TTFI with any sportsperson or international sports bodies, will now take place only through the Committee of Administrators and the existing office bearers shall no longer be entitled to discharge any functions.
- The office bearers will help the Committee of Administrators, as and when requested and a monthly honorarium of Rs 3 lakh and Rs 1 lakh each will be paid to Chairperson and two members, respectively.
About Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI):
- Founded: 1926
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- President: Dushyant Chautala
Sandeep Bakhshi named Business Standard Banker of the Year 2020-21
- Sandeep Bakhshi, managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of ICICI Bank, is the Business Standard Banker of the Year 2020-21 for turning around the private sector lender and changing the perception about it during his tenure of the past three and a half years.
- Bakhshi took charge in October 2018 amid a controversy around his predecessor, who had to step down over corporate governance issues. Since then, he has not just unhinged the bank from the controversy but also delivered growth on almost all parameters.
- The unanimous decision was taken by a high-profile jury of five, chaired by former Reserve Bank of India deputy governor S S Mundra. Other members were Keki Mistry; Anil Singhvi,; P S Jayakumar; and A Balasubram.
Keegan Petersen, Heather Knight declared ICC players of the month for January 2022
- South Africa’s Test sensation Keegan Petersen and England women’s team captain Heather Knight were voted ICC Players of the Month for January 2022.
- In the men’s category, South African batter Keegan Petersen was a sensation during the home Test series against India. He ended the series as the highest run-scorer with 276 runs and was named the Player of the Series.
- For the women’s award, England skipper Knight captained England in the one-off Ashes Test against Australia in Canberra and finished as the highest run-getter.
ICC men’s & women’s player of the month 2021
- Jan: Rishabh Pant (Ind), Shabnim ismail (SA)
- Feb: Ashwin (Ind), Tammy Beaumont (Eng)
- Mar: Bhuvneswar Kumar (Ind), Lizelle Lee (SA)
- Apr: Babar Azam (Pak), Alyssa Healy (Aus)
- May: Mushfiqur Rahim (Ban), Kathryn Bryce (Scotland)
- June: Devon Conway (NZ), Sophie Ecclestone (Eng)
- July: Shakib Al Hasan (Ban), Stafanie Taylor (WI)
- August: Joe Root (Eng), Eimear Richardson (Ireland)
- Sep: Sandeep Lamichhane (Nepal), Heather Knight (England)
- Oct: Asif Ali (Pak), Laura Delany (Ireland)
- Nov: David Warner (Australia) and Hayley Matthews (West Indies)
- Dec: Ajaz Patel (NZ)
Book and Author
Samuel Moyn authored a book titled ‘Humane: How the United States Abandoned Peace and Reinvented War’
- A new book titled “Humane: How the United States Abandoned Peace and Reinvented War” authored by Samuel Moyn was released.
- The book highlights the United States of America (USA) strategy on fighting wars and how armed combat was transformed from an imperfect tool for resolving disputes into an integral component of the modern condition.
- This provocative book argues about the endless wars USA created in the past including Vietnam War (1955-1975), Korean War (1950-1953), World War II (1939-1945) etc and this development might not represent progress at all.
- Samuel Moyn is the Professor of Jurisprudence at Yale Law School and a professor of History at Yale University.
15 February: International Childhood Cancer Day
- International Childhood Cancer Day (ICCD) is observed on 15 February every year, to raise awareness about the evil that entails this issue and the ways to deal with the same.
- The day is a global collaborative campaign to raise awareness about childhood cancer and to express support for children and adolescents with cancer, the survivors and their families.
- This annual event was created in 2002 by Childhood Cancer International, a global network of 176 parent organizations, childhood cancer survivor associations, childhood cancer support groups, and cancer societies, in over 93 countries, across 5 continents.
- The 3-year campaign for ICCD 2021-2023 called, ‘Tree of Life’, is designed to use the image of painted handprints of children to represent survival rates for childhood cancer on a national, regional and international scale.
- Theme 2022: ‘Better Survival’ is achievable #throughyourhands
Legendary Singer-composer Bappi Lahiri passed away
- Singer-composer Bappi Lahiri passed away at the age of 69 in Mumbai. He was ailing for some time and died at CritiCare Hospital in Juhu, Mumbai, due to Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- He was lovingly called Bappi Da & Disco King of Bollywood in the industry, and he was known for delivering iconic songs in several films of the late 1970s-80s like Chalte Chalte, Disco Dancer, and Sharaabi. His last Bollywood song was Bhankas for the 2020 film Baaghi 3.
- The singer is known for his gold chains. His real name was Alokesh Lahiri. He joined BJP in 2014. He was declared a BJP candidate from Srerampur (Lok Sabha constituency) in West Bengal for the 2014 Indian general election and lost.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs