Current Affairs 17th February 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Union Cabinet approved setting up of secretariat for India’s G20 Presidency
- Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi approved the setting up of a G20 Secretariat and its reporting structures. India is all set to hold the Presidency of the G20 (Group of Twenty) from December 1, 2022 to November 30, 2023.
- This Secretariat, functional till February 2024, will be responsible for the implementation of overall policy decisions and affairs needed for India’s G20 Presidency. India to host the 2023 G20 Summit in Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- It will be guided by an Apex Committee headed by the PM, and comprising the Finance Minister, Home Minister, External Affairs Minister, and G20 Sherpa (Union Minister Piyush Vedprakash Goyal, Ministry of Commerce & Industry; Ministry of Textiles, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution).
- A Coordination Committee will also be set up to oversee all G20 preparations and report to the Apex Committee.
About Group of Twenty (G20):
- Established: 1999
- Members: 20 (19 countries + European Union)
Government approved ‘New India Literacy Programme’, a new scheme of Adult Education for FYs 2022-27
- The Union Government approved a new scheme “New India Literacy Programme” (NILP) which is also known as “Nav Bharat Literacy Program” during the FYs 2022-2027 to cover all the aspects of adult education and also to align with national education policy 2020.
- The scheme will cover non-literates of the age of 15 years and above in the country. Now, Government has replaced the term “Adult Education (प्रौढ़ शिक्षा)” as ‘Education for All’ in the country.
- It will be implemented through volunteerism through online mode.
- The total estimation of NILP is Rs. 1037.90 crore, in which the Central government and State government share Rs 700 crore and Rs 337.90 crore respectively.
Centre sanctioned construction of 60,000 homes under PMAY(U) in 5 states
- Central Government of India gave approval to the project proposals for the construction of more than 60,000 houses in 5 states including Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka and Rajasthan under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U), during the 58th meeting of Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee (CSMC).
- The virtual meeting was chaired by Manoj Joshi, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- The meeting discussed the issues pertaining to grounding and construction of houses in different States under different verticals of PMAY(U).
- At Present, the total number of sanctioned houses under PMAY(U) stand at 114.04 Lakhs, of which around 25 Lakh have been grounded for construction and around 54.78 Lakh are completed and delivered to the beneficiaries.
- The total investment under the Mission is INR 7.52 Lakh crore, with INR 1.87 Lakh Crore as direct assistance from the Central Government. So far, Central Assistance amounting to INR 1.21 Lakh Crore has already been released.
NITI Aayog in association with PhonePe launched Fintech Open Hackathon
- NITI Aayog in association with PhonePe will launch the Fintech Open Hackathon. The Hackathon will provide an opportunity for innovators, digital creators and developers from all over India to think, ideate and code.
- It aims to showcase path-breaking solutions for the Fintech Ecosystem. The last date to register for the event is 23rd February and the deadline to submit the final entries is on 25th February this year. The winners of the Hackathon will be announced on the 28th of February.
About NITI Aayog:
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
WHO launched ‘Quit Tobacco App’ to help people end Tobacco consumption
- World Health Organization launched the ‘Quit Tobacco App’ to help people quit tobacco use in all forms including smokeless and other related products.
- It is a first-of-its-kind app which helps users identify the triggers, set their targets, manage cravings, and stay focused on quitting tobacco.
- The ‘WHO Quit Tobacco App’ is the first such initiative of the WHO. It was launched during WHO’s year-long ‘Commit to quit’ tobacco control campaign.
About World Health Organization (WHO):
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 7 April 1948
- Director-General: Tedros Adhanom
Banking and Financial
RBI extended deadline for NBFCs to meet new NPA upgradation norms till September 2022
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) extended the deadline for non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) to comply with new Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) classification norms (the norms are issued by RBI in November 2021) to September 2022 from the earlier deadline of March 2022.
- As per the ‘Prudential norms on Income Recognition, Asset Classification and Provisioning pertaining to Advances – Clarifications’, which was issued by RBI on November 15, 2021, the loan accounts that are classified as NPAs could be upgraded as ‘standard’ asset only if entire arrears of interest and principal are paid by the borrower.
- Currently, RBI has clarified that, the definition of ‘out of order’ as applicable to all loan products being offered as an OD facility, including those not meant for business purposes and/or which entail interest repayments as the only credits.
- The ‘90 days period’ for determination of ‘out of order’ status of a Cash credit/Overdraft (CC/OD) account should be inclusive of the day for which the day-end process is being run.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
- Founded: April 1, 1935
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M Rajeshwar Rao, T Rabi Sankar
Kotak Mahindra Bank tied up with Ezetap to provide integrated PoS solutions
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has tied up with Ezetap to provide integrated Point of Sale (PoS) solutions across 4,000 locations in India.
- The initiative will strengthen the bank’s presence in the digital payments market space. The partnership will enable it to scale up its PoS product base across merchant segments, including retail enterprises and government customers.
About Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB):
- Founded: 2003
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Uday Kotak
- Tagline: Let’s make money simple
Standard Chartered Bank launched interest-only home loan facility
- Standard Chartered Bank India has launched the ‘interest-only home loan’ facility for completed residential properties where borrowers can pay only the interest without principal deduction during a limited period.
- This facility is available to both new and existing clients of Standard Chartered Bank.
- Borrowers can choose to pay only the interest amount without principal through Equated Monthly Instalment (EMI) for an initial period of up to 1-3 years, after which it will be treated like a normal loan account where the EMIs comprise of both the principal and interest till the maturity of the loan.
- The facility is available for a loan amount ranging from Rs 35 lakh to Rs 3.5 crore with the maximum tenure of 30 years for salaried individuals and 25 years for self-employed individuals.
About Standard Chartered Bank:
- Founded: 1969, London, United Kingdom
- CEO: Bill Winters
Bank of Baroda signed MoU with Assam Rifles to provide Central Forces Salary Package
- Bank of Baroda had signed an MoU with Assam Rifles, the oldest paramilitary force, to provide the ‘Baroda Central Forces Salary Package (BCFSP)’ to all personnel of the Assam Rifles, both serving and retired.
- BoB will offer services such as free unlimited transactions at all Bank ATMs, free remittance services like National Electronic Fund Transfer (NEFT) / Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) online or through branch, free debit card, free unlimited demand draft facilities, 50% discount on locker rentals, 100% waiver on Demat annual maintenance charges and 75% waiver on issuance charges for Gift and Travel cards.
- It also offers special benefits like Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) and a co-branded credit card.
About Bank of Baroda (BoB):
- Founded: 20 July 1908
- Headquarters: Vadodara, Gujarat
- Managing Director & CEO: Sanjiv Chadha
- Tagline: India’s International Bank
- Amalgamated Banks: Dena Bank & Vijaya Bank in 2019
Appointment and Resignation
Shah Rukh Khan appointed as Brand Ambassador of Gaming app A23
- A23, the gaming application owned by Head Digital Works, an online skill gaming company, has roped in Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan as its brand ambassador.
- Shahrukh Khan will feature in A23’s ‘Chalo Saath Khele’ campaign, along with a first of its kind responsible gaming campaign, which showcases all the multi-gaming platforms of A23 such as carom, fantasy sports, pool and rummy, among others.
- As the brand ambassador, Shah Rukh will support to elevate the brand among Indians who relate to using their skills to win.
- According to the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry’s gaming committee, India has become the largest fantasy sports market in the world with over 13 crore users playing fantasy sports.
Note: List of brand ambassador
- Ambassador of All Women Match Official Team of Legends League Cricket (LLC): Jhulan Goswami
- RenewBuy: RajKummar Rao
- GoodDot: Neeraj Chopra
- Games24x7’s ‘RummyCircle’: Hrithik Roshan
- Uttarakhand: Akshay Kumar
- Bata India: Disha Patani
- MediBuddy: Amitabh Bachchan
- Brand Ambassador and investor of Krishi Network: Pankaj Tripathi
G Ashok Kumar appointed as India’s first national maritime security coordinator
- Retired Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar has been appointed as the India’s first national maritime security coordinator by the government.
- Government of India has taken the decisive move to ensure reliability on security and its objective to strengthen the country’s maritime security.
- The NMSC (National Maritime Security Coordinator) will be working with coordination with the National Security Council Secretariat which is headed by NSA Ajit Doval.
- The main task will be given to NMSC to make coordination among the Indian Navy, the Coast Guard, security agencies those tangled in coastal and maritime security and 13 coastal states and Union Territories.
List of important heads of offices of India:
- Chief Justice of India: V. Ramana.
- Chief Election Commissioner of India: Sushil Chandra
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG): Girish Chandra Murmu
- Controller General of Accounts: Sonali Singh
- Attorney General of India: K K Venugopal
- National Security Advisor: Ajit Doval
- Solicitor General of India: Tushar Mehta
- Central Vigilance Commissioner: Suresh N. Patel
Karnataka Bank bagged 3 awards at 17th Annual Banking Technology Conference and Awards 2020-21
- Karnataka Bank has bagged three awards at the 17th Annual Banking Technology Conference and Awards: 2020-21 Next Gen Banking.
- The awards have been instituted by Indian Banks’ Association (IBA). The bank has won the awards under categories: Best Technology Bank of the Year; Best Fintech Adoption; and Best Use of AI/ML & Data Analytics.
About Karnataka Bank:
- Founded: 18 February 1924
- Headquarters: Mangaluru, Karnataka
- MD & CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
Chelsea won first FIFA Club World Cup by defeating Brazil’s Palmeiras
- Chelsea won the first FIFA Club World Cup by defeating Brazil’s Palmeiras in extra-time in the final in Abu Dhabi.
- Chelsea defeated South American counterparts in the final at Mohamed bin Zayed Stadium by 2-1. The winner came from the penalty spot in the 117th minute.
- Chelsea Football Club is an English professional football club based in Fulham, West London.
UPCOMING FIFA WORLD CUP & VENUES
- FIFA World Cup 2022 – Qatar
- FIFA World Cup 2026 – Canada, Mexico, US
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 – Australia and New Zealand
Book and Author
Ro Khanna authored a book titled “Dignity in a Digital Age: Making Tech Work for All of Us”
- A new book titled “Dignity in a Digital Age: Making Tech Work for All of Us” authored by Ro Khanna released.
- The book highlights the effects of changing lifestyle patterns of Americans due to technological progress.
- It also mentioned about the digital divide i.e., unequal access to technology and the revenue, as it is one of the most pressing issues faced by the United States.
- Ro Khanna is an Indian-American who is a US Congressman representing California district that includes the Silicon Valley region.
Kannada poet Chennaveera Kanavi passed away
- Kannada writer and poe tDr Chennaveera Kanavi passed away due to age-related illnesses at a private hospital in Dharwad.
- He was also known as ‘Samanvaya Kavi’(Poet of Reconciliation). Katavi’s first book, Kavyakshi, was published in 1949.
- Dr Kanavi received the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1981 for his work Jeeva Dhwani (Poetry).
Renowned Bengali singer Sandhya Mukhopadhyay passed away
- The Veteran Bengali singer Sandhya Mukhopadhyay passed away at the age of 90 years due to cardiac arrest in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- She was an Indian playback singer and musician, specializing in Bengali music. She got the fame for her playback singing for films, which emerged as a new genre and labeled modern Bengali songs (“adhunik gaan”).
- Sandhya Mukhopadhyay’s first album of Durga Puja songs was released in 1948 and her first playback singing was for the film ‘Samapika’ released in 1948.
- She received National Film Award in the Best Female Playback Singer category in 1970, and Banga Bibhushan, the highest civilian honour to be conferred in West Bengal, in 2011. She had recently refused to accept the Padma award from the central government that was awarded in January 2022.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs