Current Affairs 17th March 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Nirmala Sitharaman presented a Rs 1.42 Lakh crore Budget for FY 2022-23 for J&K in Lok Sabha
- Union Minister of Finance Nirmala Sitharaman presented Rs 14215009.87 crore (~1.42 Lakh crores) Budget for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir in Lok Sabha, New Delhi.
- J&K government will be spending Rs 112950 crore in fiscal 2022-23 i.e., Revenue Expenditure: Rs 71615 crore, and Capital Expenditure: Rs 41335 crore (22 % of GSDP).
- She also presented supplementary Demands for Grants, and Demands for Excess Grants totaling Rs 18,860.32 crore for J&K. The budget projected 5% Growth in GSDP (Gross State Domestic Product) of J&K.
- Lieutenant Governor: Manoj Sinha
- Formation (Union territory): 31 October 2019
- Capital: Jammu (winter), Srinagar (summer)
Welspun One Logistics Parks signed MoU with Haryana Govt to invest Rs. 1500 crores to set up warehouses
- Welspun One Logistics Parks (WOLP) and the Government of Haryana signed an MoU for the development of large-scale warehousing facilities in Haryana, WOLP will invest Rs. 1500 Crores.
- The project aims to explore the available government land parcels to build Grade A warehousing facilities across key warehousing micro-markets.
- Welspun Group will invest under the integrated fund Rs 1,500 crores in Haryana for the warehousing infrastructure and development.
- The developmental projects will be around 5 million square feet of land over 3-4 years and will also help generate more than 4,500 jobs.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
- Chief minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
MV Ram Prasad Bismil became longest vessel to sail from Ganga to Brahmaputra via Bangladesh
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways has attained a landmark achievement by sailing the Motor Vessel Ram Prasad Bismil, the longest vessel ever to sail on the river Brahmaputra.
- The vessel is 90 meters long flotilla is 26 meters wide, loaded with a draft of 2.1 meters. With this, it successfully completed the aspiring pilot run of heavy cargo movement from Haldia Dock in Kolkata to Pandu Port, Guwahati, Assam.
- The vessel along with two barges DB Kalpana Chawla and DB APJ Abdul Kalam was flagged off by Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways (PSW), Sarbananda Sonowal, from the Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port in Haldia.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
- President: Abdul Hamid
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
36th International Geological Congress will be held in New Delhi
- The 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) will be held virtually from 20th to 22nd March 2022. It is also known as the Olympics of Geosciences.
- It is a joint endeavor of the Ministry of Mines, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Indian National Science Academy, and Science Academies of Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.
- They are held quadrennial under the International Union of Geological Congress (IUGS).
- Theme: Geosciences: The Basic Science for a Sustainable Future
About International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS):
- Formation: 1961
- Secretariat: Beijing, China
- President: Qiuming Cheng (Canada/China)
- Secretary-General: Stanley Finney (US)
- Treasurer: Hiroshi Kitazato (Japan)
Banking and Financial
ICICI Bank launched co-branded credit cards with Emirates Skywards
- ICICI Bank has announced a tie-up with Emirates Skywards, a loyalty program of Emirates and flydubai, to launch a range of co-branded credit cards named “Emirates Skywards ICICI Bank Credit Card”, an exclusive card for avid travelers that gives them access to unmatched luxury and comfort.
- The cards will enable customers to earn reward points, called Skywards Miles, on travel, lifestyle, and everyday spending. For every Rs. 100 spent, it awards up to 2.5 Skywards Miles.
- ICICI bank is the first Indian bank to partner with Emirates Skywards, to offer an exclusive range of credit cards in India.
- The co-branded credit cards are powered by Visa as the network partner and are available in three variants: Emeralde, Sapphiro, and Rubyx.
- Founded: 25 March 1985
- Founder: Maurice Flanagan
- Headquarters: Garhoud, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Chairman and CEO:Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum
CPI-based Retail inflation rose to 6.07% in February, above RBI’s upper limit for 2nd straight month
- In February, India’s retail inflation rate climbed to an eight-month high, maintaining above the central bank’s comfort level of 6% for the second month in a row.
- The consumer price index (CPI)-based inflation rate increased to 6.07% in February from 6.01% the previous month, according to data issued by the statistics department, with food and beverages, apparel and footwear, and fuel and light groups driving the increase.
- Meanwhile, food inflation in the reporting month stood at 5.85% as against 5.43% in January. A Reuters poll predicted inflation at 5.93% in February on an annual basis.
Wholesale price index-based inflation rose to 13.11% in February
- The wholesale pricing index (WPI)-based inflation rate climbed to 13.11% in February after falling for two months, according to data issued by the industry department. Wholesale price inflation continued to be in double digits for continuous eleventh month in a row.
- WPI was 12.96% in January 2022. WPI was 4.83% in February 2021. Inflation in food articles, however, eased to 8.19% in February from 10.33%. Vegetable inflation was 26.93% in February, against 38.45% in the previous month.
- While inflation for manufactured goods increased to 9.84 % in February as manufacturers passed on rising input costs to consumers, inflation for food and gasoline fell to 8.19% and 31.5%, respectively.
- After a downward trend since May 2021, edible oil inflation increased to 14.9 % in February. Inflation in crude petroleum spiked to 55.17% during February, against 39.41% in the previous month, on rising prices of crude oil globally.
IIT Madras signed MoU with RBI Innovation Hub to boost fintech startups
- India’s leading deep-tech startup hub spearheaded by IIT Madras Incubation Cell (IITMIC) has joined hands with RBI Innovation Hub (RBIH) to work together in developing the ecosystem necessary to support and scale fintech startups in India.
- It will jointly provide incubation support and nurture early-stage startups with innovative and disruptive solutions. It will empower startups to scale with agility and deploy technological innovations transforming the Fintech landscape.
About RBI Innovation Hub (RBIH):
- Incorporated: 2020
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- CEO: Rajesh Bansal
Appointment and Resignation
Ramesh Murthy appointed as CFO of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
- Ramesh Murthy has been appointed as the new Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank.
- As a CFO, he will be responsible for formulating and guiding bank’s strategy for growth, while also leading the Finance and Accounts functions.
- Murthy joins Ujjivan SFB from Karur Vysya Bank where he was the CRO and subsequently, the CFO, leading and directing the Finance, Accounts, Analytics & MIS, Tax and Regulatory functions of the Bank.
About Ujjivan Small Finance Bank:
- Founded: 2017
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- MD & CEO: Ittira Davis
- Tagline: Build a Better Life
Frank Torres appointed as President of Nissan India
- Senior executive of Nissan, Frank Torres has been appointed as the President of Nissan India with effect from 1st April 2022. He succeeded Sinan Özkök.
- He has also been appointed as the Region Divisional Vice President for Business Transformation in AMIEO region (Africa, Middle East, India, Europe, and Oceania).
- He joined Nissan in 2007 in Spain as a Production Engineering Analyst, before becoming Managing Director for Nissan Motor Iberica (NMISA) in 2011.
Narayan Pradhan selected for 31st GD Birla Award for Scientific Research
- Professor Narayan Pradhan has been selected for the 31st GD Birla Award for Scientific Research for his outstanding contribution in the field of material sciences.
- Instituted in 1991, the award recognizes eminent Indian scientists below the age of 50 for their original and outstanding contributions to any branch of science. It carries a cash prize of ₹5 lakh. The recipient is chosen by a selection board, whose present head is professor Chandrima Shaha, the president of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
- Pradhan’s research work focused on understanding the chemistry and physics of light-emitting semiconductor nanocrystal His research group has significantly contributed to the surface construction of the newly emerged light-emitting halide perovskite nanocrystals, which are expected to be the next-generation lighting materials for photovoltaics and making LEDs. He has provided his expertise in crystal modulations to help design new shapes of these tiny lighting materials.
- Pradhan has been a recipient of the LNJ Bhilwara Nanoscience award, the DST Swarnajayanti Fellowship award, the DST Nanoscience Young Career award, and the Oxford Nanoscientist award.
Gen Bipin Rawat Memorial Chair of Excellence instituted at United Service Institution of India
- Indian Army has dedicated Chair of Excellence in the memory of late Chief of Defence Staff, General Bipin Rawat at the United Service Institution of India (USI), the country’s oldest think tank founded in 1870, on the eve of General Bipin Rawat’s 65th birthday anniversary.
- The purpose of Gen Bipin Rawat Memorial Chair of Excellence at USI will be to conduct research on strategic issues related to the armed forces, with a focus on the field of Jointness and Integration.
- The chair will be open to Veterans of three Services and civilians with knowledge of National Security. The topic for 2022 research will be Jointness and Integration in the Context of Land Warfare in India.
About United Service Institution of India (USI):
- Founded: 1870
- Location: New Delhi, India
- Director: Maj Gen (Retd) B.K Sharma
Nitin Gadkari launched India’s 1st Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell EV ‘Toyota Mirai’
- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated the world’s most advanced technology-developed Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) Toyota Mirai at New Delhi.
- Toyota Mirai is India’s first Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV), which is completely powered by Hydrogen.
- Toyota Mirai has been launched by Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt Ltd and International Center for Automotive Technology (ICAT) under a pilot project, to study and evaluate the performance of Toyota Mirai on Indian roads and climatic conditions.
- This is a first-of-its-kind project in India that will create a Green Hydrogen-based ecosystem in the country and help India to become ‘Energy Self-reliant’ by 2047.
About Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt Ltd:
- Founded: 6 October 1997
- Headquarters: Bidadi, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Managing Director: Masakazu Yoshimura
Book and Author
Biography of Rahul Bajaj’s titled “Rahul Bajaj: An Extraordinary Life” authored by Gita Piramal
- The first authorized biography titled “Rahul Bajaj: An Extraordinary Life”, authored by Gita Piramal will be launched on 21 March 2022.
- The book is based on the life of the late iconic industrialist Rahul Bajaj. It highlights his life’s journey, struggle, and challenges in becoming one of the most well-regarded business personalities in the world
- Rahul Bajaj was the chairman emeritus of the Bajaj Group and a former member of Parliament. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan. He is also a former chairman and member of the International Business Council, World Economic Forum.
15 March: International Day to Combat Islamophobia
- The 193-member UnitedNations General Assembly (UNGA) has adopted a resolution to proclaim 15 March as the International Day to Combat Islamophobia every year, starting from 2022.
- The resolution regarding International Day to Combat Islamophobia was introduced by Pakistan’s permanent representative to United Nations (UN), Munir Akram.
- The resolution was introduced on behalf of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) countries, under the agenda item Culture of peace. The resolution was sponsored by 57 member states of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and eight other countries including China and Russia.
- India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations (UN) Ambassador T S Tirumurti, expressed concern over phobia against one particular religion being elevated to the level of an international day.
Former Andhra Pradesh Governor Kumudben Joshi passed away
- Kumudben Manishankar Joshi, the former Governor of Andhra Pradesh and former Union Minister, has passed away at the Changa Dhanori village in Navsari district, Gujarat.
- Kumudben Joshi served as the Union Deputy Minister of Information and Broadcasting from 1980 to 1982 and as the Union Deputy Minister of Health and Family Welfare from 1982 to 1984.
- She served as the Governor of Andhra Pradesh from 1985 to 1990, she was the 2nd female to hold the office after Sharda Mukherjee. She was also the General Secretary of the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC).
- She has served as a member of the Rajya Sabha (Gujarat), representing the Indian National Congress (INC) for 3 terms between 1973 and 1988.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs