Current Affairs 18th April 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
India’s first Internet Radio for visually challenged “Radio Aksh” launched in Nagpur
- India’s first-ever radio channel for the visually impaired, named ‘Radio Aksh’ has been launched in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- Nagpur’s 96-year-old institution, The Blind Relief Association Nagpur (TBRAN) and Samdrushti Kshamata Vikas Avam Anusandhan Mandal (Saksham) are the organisations behind this idea. The channel will be available on various internet radio platforms for free.
- A dedicated team of trained volunteers, mostly women, help in the creation of content for the radio channel, which can be streamed to the visually impaired across India and the world.
Puducherry’s 1st-ever Beach Festival named I Sea PONDY-2022 inaugurated
- Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry, Tamilisai Soundararajan has inaugurated the Puducherry’s first-ever Beach Festival named I Sea PONDY-2022 in the presence of the Chief Minister N. Rangasamy.
- The four days festival will be celebrated in Puducherry Gandhi Beach, Pondy Marina, and Sandunes of Paradise Beach.
- Various cultural events and contests organized during the festival. Pondicherry (or Puducherry) was a French colonial settlement in India until 1954 and is currently a Union Territory town bordering the Tamil Nadu state in the southeast.
About Union Territory of Puducherry:
- Established: 1674
- Lieutenant Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan (Additional Charge)
- Chief Minister: Rangasamy
Extreme poverty in India declined by 12.3% during 2011-2019
- According to the World Bank report, poverty in India is 12.3% lower in 2019 as compared to 2011. The poverty headcount rate has declined from 22.5% in 2011 to 10.2% in 2019.
- Poverty depletion was higher in rural areas as compared to urban India. Rural poverty declined by 14.7% while the urban poverty rate declined by 7.9% from 2011 to 2019. Small landholding farmers have experienced higher income growth.
About World Bank:
- Founded: July 1944, Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, United States
- Headquarters: Washington DC, USA
- President: David Robert Malpass
- Member Countries: 189 (including India)
Banking and Financial
WPI based inflation in March rose to 14.55%
- The wholesale price index (WPI) based inflation in India in the month of March rose to 14.55% due to an increase in power prices and rising edible oil prices.
- In March 2021, the WPI-based inflation had stood at 7.89%. In March 2022, the high rate of inflation was recorded due to a rise in prices of mineral oils, crude petroleum and natural gas, and basic metals owing as there was a disruption in the global supply chain caused by the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
- The food index, which includes food products from the Manufactured Products group and food articles from the government’s Primary Articles group, has risen to 167.3 in March 2022 from 166.4 in February 2022.
- The WPI Food Index-based rate of inflation also increased to 8.71 % in March 2022 from 8.47 % in February 2022. In March 2022, the index for the major fuel and power group increased by 5.68 % to 146.9 from 139.0 in February 2022.
Govt amended FEMA rules to allow 20% FDI in LIC
- The government has amended the rules of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) to open the way for up to 20% Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
- The government is also planning to dilute its stake in LIC through the Initial Public Offering (IPO). SEBI has also given approval to the draft papers and the insurer is in the process of filing a request for a proposal with changes.
About Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC):
- Founded: 1956
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairperson: M R Kumar
- Chief Financial Officer: Sunil Agrawal
PhonePe partnered with Extreme IX to provide faster digital payment
- PhonePe partnered with internet exchange point, Extreme IX to enable faster digital payments service to over 370 million PhonePe users.
- This partnership helps PhonePe to decrease the latency for its users irrespective of their location or ISP in India.
- PhonePe has become the first digital payments platform to participate in an Internet Exchange in India. The Partnership will enable the PhonePe users to swiftly administer their day-to-day financial transactions across the Geographic locations.
- Extreme IX is carrier neutral, data centre neutral Internet Exchange point for Indian ISPs and for local and international content providers. Extreme IX is a project operated by Extreme Infocom Pvt. Ltd. a newly established Indian based company dedicated to operating and maintaining it.
- Founded: 2015
- Headquarters: Bangalore, Karnataka
- Founder & CEO: Sameer Nigam
Appointment and Resignation
Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas re-appointed as Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission for one year
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet has granted one-year extension to Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas.
- The extension in service to Vyas for a period of one year beyond May 3, 2022or “until further orders”. This is the second extension for Vyas, he was first appointed to the post in September 2018.
- Awards: The Indian Nuclear Society Outstanding Service Award 2011; The Homi Bhabha Science and Technology Award 2006, and DAE Award 2007.
Robin Uthappa appointed as ambassador for Karnataka’s Brain Health Initiative
- The Karnataka government has appointed Indian Cricket Player Robin Uthappa as the ambassador for Brain Health Initiative which was started by the Karnataka Health Department.
- The KA-BHI was launched in January 2022 in association with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, NITI Aayog, and the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, Karnataka.
Note: List of brand ambassador
- ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ Brand Ambassadors of Gurugram: Tanishka Kotia & Riddhika Kotia
- Dish TV India Limited’s DTH brand D2H: Rishabh Pant
- UpGrad: Amitabh Bachchan
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance: Vidya Balan
- Lupin Limited’s Shakti campaign: Mary Kom
- My11Circle by Games24x7: Shubman Gill and Ruturaj Gaikwad
- PharmEasy: Amir Khan
Sourav Ganguly appointed as brand ambassador for Lloyd’s eastern indian markets
- Electrical goods major Havells India’s consumer durables brand, Lloyd, has roped in former Indian cricket captain and current BCCI President Sourav Ganguly as its Brand Ambassador for Eastern Indian markets.
- Sourav will endorse Lloyd range of consumer durables through promotion, advertising and marketing. Sourav has been roped into Lloyd, as he portrays a rare blend of talent, class, intelligence, and popularity who also complements Lloyd’s legacy and brand ethos.
- Lloyd’s product portfolio comprises air conditioners, washing machines, refrigerators and LED TVs.
Trishakti Corps conducted EX KRIPAN SHAKTI in West Bengal
- Indian Army’s Trishakti Corps has organized an Integrated Fire Power exercise EX KRIPAN SHAKTI at Teesta Field Firing Ranges (TFFR) near Siliguri in West Bengal.
- The exercise was led by Lieutenant General Tarun Kumar and General Officer Commanding Trishakti Corps.
- The aim of the exercise is orchestrating and synergizing the capabilities of the Indian Army and the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) to fight an integrated battle.
- The units of the Trishakti Corps have demonstrated their abilities to hit hard and swiftly with precision during the exercise. The firing involved employment and weapon systems and firing of all arms.
Stefanos Tsitsipas won Monte-Carlo Masters
- Greek tennis player, Stefanos Tsitsipas has defeated Alejandro Davidovich Fokina by 6-3, 7-6 (3) to retain the title of Monte-Carlo Masters. It was his eighth ATP title.
- He became the sixth player to win back-to-back Monte Carlo Masters in the Open era. He became the first repeat champion at the Monte Carlo Masters since Rafael Nadal in 2018.
- In the ATP rankings, Novak Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev, Alexander Zverev, and Rafael Nadal currently sit above Tsitsipas.
Sajan Prakash won gold in men’s 200m butterfly at Danish Open swimming
- Sajan Prakash has won gold in the men’s 200m butterfly and Vedaant Madhavan clinched a silver medal in the men’s 1500m freestyle event at the Danish Open swimming in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Prakash stopped the clock at 1.59.27 to stand atop the podium. He became the first-ever Indian swimmer to achieve the ‘A’ qualification mark for the Olympics in Italy (2021).
- Vedaant Madhavan, who is the son of actor R Madhavan clocked 15.57.86 to finish second in the 10-swimmer final.
Book and Author
A new book titled “The Boy Who Wrote a Constitution: A play for Children on Human Rights” authored by Rajesh Talwar
- A new book titled “The Boy Who Wrote a Constitution: A play for Children on Human Rights” authored by Rajesh Talwar, a fact-based drama on Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar’s own recollections of his childhood has been released on April 14 ,2022, during the occasion of Dr. BR Ambedkar’s 131st birth anniversary.
- It is published by Ponytale Books. This book conveys the children about the challenging boyhood and grown-up years of Ambedkar who had written the Constitution of India and became India’s first law minister.
- Talwar’s also authored books include “The Vanishing of Subhash Bose”, “Gandhi, Ambedkar, and the Four-Legged Scorpion”, and “Aurangzeb”.
18 April: World Heritage Day
- United Nations commemorates World Heritage Day on April 18 every year.
- The Day is observed to preserve the human heritage and recognize the efforts of the organizations working for it. Monuments and ancient buildings are an asset to the world. They make for the rich heritage of the nation.
- The International Day for Monuments and Sites was proposed by the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) on 18 April 1982 and approved by the General Assembly of UNESCO in 1983.
- Later in 1983, UNESCO adopted the idea during the 22nd General Conference. In order to restore and conserve historical cities, and dying ancient tribes, World Heritage Day is being observed.
- Theme 2022: “Heritage and Climate”.
About International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS):
- Founded: 1965
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- President: Toshiyuki Kono
Table Tennis Player Vishwa Deenadayalan passed away
- Tamil Nadu table tennis player Vishwa Deenadayalan passed away in a road accident while travelling from Guwahati to Shillong.
- He was travelling with three teammates for the 83rd Senior National and Inter-State Table Tennis Championships, which is scheduled to begin.
- All three teammates have been declared stable by the doctors. Haryana Deputy Chief Minister Dushyant Chautala offer his condolence on his death and announced Rs 5 lakh as compensation for his family.
Legendary Odia Musician & music director Prafulla Kar passed away
- Legendary Odia singer and music director Prafulla Kar has passed away due to age-related ailments.
- An eminent musician, singer, lyricist, writer and columnist was born on February 16, 1939 in Puri. He was awarded with Padma Shri award (2015), and Jayadeva award (2004).
- He had also received the state film award eight times, six times in a row. The Odisha government has announced that his funeral would be held with full State honour.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs