Current Affairs 23rd and 24th April 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Karnataka launched Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully (SAANS) Campaign
- Health and Medical Education Minister of Karnataka, Sudhakar launched the ‘Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully’ (SAANS).
- SAANS is a campaign that has been launched to ensure early detection and greater awareness of pneumonia in children under the age of five.
- Pneumonia is a lung infection that is caused due to viral, bacterial, or fungal infection. As per SRS 2018, Karnataka’s under-five mortality is at 28 per 1000 live births.
- By 2025, the state’s goal is to reduce the under-five mortality to 23 per 1,000 live. Also, to achieve the National Health Policy goals, pneumonia mortality has to be reduced to less than 3 deaths per 1,000 live births.
Recent Karnataka Schemes:
- Grama One Program
- Janasevaka Scheme
- Janaspandana platform
- ‘Women@Work’ programme
- Vinaya Samarasya scheme
Panchayati Raj Ministry signed pact With UNDP for localisation of SDGs
- The Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) signed MoU to collaborate in the areas of knowledge sharing and strengthening monitoring mechanisms for the localisation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The MoU was signed by the Secretary in the Ministry of Panchayati Raj Sunil Kumar and UNDP resident representative Shoko Noda on the final day of the Iconic Week Programme organised as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) celebrations.
- As 65% of India’s population lives in rural areas, the Government of India is increasingly routing the funding of social sector schemes in sectors such as sanitation, housing, solid waste management through the rural local bodies. The achievement of SDGs by 2030 can happen only by considering the local situations.
About United Nations Development Programme (UNDP):
- Founder: 1965
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Administrator: Achim Steiner
- Secretary: Jordi Llopart
NITI Aayog released draft battery swapping policy
- NITI Aayog has released a draft battery swapping policy under which all metropolitan cities with a population above 40 lakh will be prioritized for the development of battery swapping network under the first phase.
- All major cities such as state capitals, UT headquarters, and cities with populations above 5 lakh will be covered under the second phase.
- Importance has been given to the two-wheeler and three-wheeler vehicle segments in growing cities. According to the draft policy, vehicles with swappable batteries will be sold without a battery, providing the benefit of lower purchase costs to potential EV owners.
About NITI Aayog:
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairperson: Suman Bery
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
NITI Aayog signed Statement of Intent with UNICEF India on SDGs focusing on children
- National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog has signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) with UNICEF India on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with a focus on children.
- The SoI intends to formalize a framework of cooperation in order to launch the first report on the “State of India’s Children: Status and Trends in Multidimensional Child Development,” emphasizing a mutual commitment to achieving children’s rights in India.
- The joint efforts will contribute to India’s commitments to the 2030 Agenda and provide a set of policy recommendations and achieve their holistic development.
- Founded: 11 December 1946, New York, United States
- Headquarters:New York, USA
- Executive Director: Catherine Russell
- President: Tore Hattrem
Prasar Bharati signed MoU with Public Broadcaster of Argentina
- Prasar Bharati has signed an MoU with the Public Broadcaster of Argentina Radio Television Argentina (RTA) for collaboration in the field of broadcasting.
- The MoU encompasses a range of fronts in Media and Broadcasting that is set to exemplify the communication and transmission networking of both nations.
- India and Argentina share cordial relations and developmental partnerships in the areas of political, economic, scientific and technological cooperation.
- Capital: Buenos Aires
- Currency: Argentine peso
- President: Alberto Fernández
UNESCO named Guadalajara as World Book Capital 2022
- Guadalajara, Mexico was named World Book Capital for the year 2022 by the Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay, on the recommendation of the World Book Capital Advisory Committee.
- The city, already a UNESCO Creative City since 2017, was selected for its comprehensive plan for policies around the book to trigger social change, combat violence and build a culture of peace.
- As a UNESCO Creative City of Media Arts Guadalajara has supported its local talents and advancing creative industries through initiatives that places media arts at the core of their programmes including in its world-famous International Book Fair.
- Cities designated as UNESCO World Book Capital undertake to promote books and reading and to organize activities over the year. As the twenty-second city to bear the title since 2001, Guadalajara follows Tbilisi (2021) Kuala Lumpur (2020).
About UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization):
- Founded: 16 November 1945
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Members: 193 countries
- Head: Audrey Azoulay
BHIM UPI became operational at NEOPAY terminals in the UAE
- The National Payment Corporation of India’s (NPCI) international arm, NPCI International Payments Ltd (NIPL), has announced that BHIM UPI (Bharat Interface for Money-Unified Payments Interface) has gone operational at NEOPAY terminals across the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- This initiative will empower Indian tourists to pay at NEOPAY terminals using BHIM UPI, which has become the preferred means of payment for Indian citizens. In 2021, NIPL and NEOPAY collaborated to build the acceptance infrastructure in the UAE.
- NEOPAY is the payment subsidiary of Mashreq Bank, the UAE’s oldest bank and a leading financial institution in the Middle East.
- The introduction of BHIM UPI in the UAE will be a significant step toward boosting digital payments in the country. Indian tourists can now make seamless payments using BHIM UPI throughout NEOPAY enabled shops and merchant outlets in the UAE.
About NPCI International Payments Ltd (NIPL):
- Establishment: 2020
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- CEO: Ritesh Shukla
Banking and Financial
SIDBI gave in-principle nod for ₹600-crore assistance to Maharashtra to revive ITIs/ polytechnics
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has provided the first approval under the SIDBI Cluster Development Fund (SCDF) to Maharashtra Government.
- The ₹600 crore aid has been approved for reviving/ upgrading ITIs/polytechnics run by the Directorate of Vocational Education and Training under the Department of Skills, Employment, Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
- SIDBI has already accorded in-principal sanction of more than ₹5,968 crore for the development/ upgradation of various Industry Cluster Projects to various State Governments / Union Territories across the country.
- SIDBI is the principal financial institution focused on promotion, financing.
About Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI):
- Founded: 2 April 1990
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- CMD: Sivasubramanian Ramann
RBI extended LEI guidelines for larger borrowers of NBFCs, UCBs
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the guidelines on Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) to large borrowers of Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) and Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks (UCBs).
- The RBI further advised that non-individual borrowers enjoying aggregate exposure of ₹5 crores and above from banks and financial institutions (FIs) shall be required to obtain LEI codes as per the given timeline.
- By 30th April 2023, the borrowers who have exposure of Rs 25 crore are required to obtain LEI. Borrowers having a total exposure of Rs 10 crore and up to Rs 25 crore will have to obtain LEI by 30th April 2024. Borrowers having a total exposure of over Rs 5 crore and up to Rs. 10 crore will have to obtain LEI by 30th April 2025.
- The borrowers who will be failing to obtain LEI codes from an authorized Local Operating Unit (LOU) will not be sanctioned any new exposure and they will also not be granted renewal or enhancement of any of their existing exposures.
- The Legal Entity Identifier is a 20-digit number used to uniquely identify parties to financial transactions globally.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
- Founded: April 1, 1935
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M Rajeshwar Rao, T Rabi Sankar
Appointment and Resignation
Suman Bery appointed as Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog
- Noted economist Suman Bery has been appointed as NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman with effect from May 1, 2022.
- He was appointed after Rajiv Kumar stepped down from the post. The Government accepted his resignation.
- Kumar, an eminent economist, took over as vice-chairman of NITI Aayog in August 2017 after the then VC Arvind Panagariya exited the govt think-tank.
Vishakha Mulye appointed as the next CEO of Aditya Birla Capital
- Vishakha Mulye has been appointed as the next Chief Executive Officer of Aditya Birla Capital.
- Mulye is currently the executive director in charge of corporate banking, proprietary trading, markets and transaction banking.
- Mulye replaces Ajay Srinivasan who will now take up another role within the Aditya Birla Group. In her prior roles, she was the head of ICICI Lombard and ICICI Ventures.
AP Abdullahkutty elected chairperson of the Haj Committee of India
- AP Abdullahkutty has been elected as the chairperson of the Haj Committee of India, while for the first time, two women have been chosen as its vice chairpersons– Munnawari Begum and Mafuja Khatun.
- The Government of India has appointed C Muhammed Faizi as a member of the Haj Committee of India (HCoI), a statutory body under the Ministry of Minority Affairs, under sub-section (11), of Section 4 of Haj Committee Act 2022, for a period of 3 years up to 31st March 2025 with effect from 21st April 2022.
- Ministry of Minority Affairs is the nodal ministry to conduct the Haj pilgrimage in India. Haj pilgrimage for the Indian pilgrims is conducted either through HCoI or the Haj Group Organisers (HGOs) approved by the Ministry.
Sir David Attenborough named recipient of Champions of the Earth Lifetime Achievement Award 2021 by UNEP
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has named Sir David Attenborough, English natural history broadcaster and naturalist, as the recipient of the Champions of the Earth Award 2021 under the Lifetime Achievement category, for his dedication to research, documentation, and advocacy for the protection of nature and its restoration.
- Sir David Attenborough is well known for his innovative educational television programs, especially the nine-part Life series forming the Life collection. His well-known documentaries include The Green Planet and A Plastic Ocean.
- He was knighted twice by Queen Elizabeth II in 1985 and again in 2020. He has won 3 Emmy Awards and 8 British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) awards.
Other Winners of 2021 Champions of the Earth Awards:
|Policy Leadership||Mia Mottley
Prime Minister, Barbados
|Inspiration And Action||Sea Women of Melanesia||Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands|
|Science And Innovation||Dr Gladys Kalema-Zikusoka
Founder and CEO of Conservation Through Public Health (CTPH)
|Enterpreneurial Vision||Maria Kolesnikova||Kyrgyz Republic|
About The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP):
- Founded: 1972
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya
- Executive Director: Inger Andersen (Denmark)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy received John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award 2022
- The John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, for the first time ever, awarded the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award 2022 to five individuals — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, United States (US) Representative Liz Cheney, Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, Arizona Representative Russell “Rusty” Bowers, and Wandrea “Shaye” Moss — each for their courage to protect and defend democracy.
- The award will be presented by Caroline Kennedy and her son, Jack Schlossberg on May 22, 2022 at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library, Boston, USA.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Ukrainian President is named for his valour to protect Ukrainian people during Russia-Ukraine Conflict.
- John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award was created by the family of the late president John Fitzgerald Kennedy to honour public figures who risk their careers by embracing unpopular positions for the greater good, and is named after Kennedy’s 1957 Pulitzer Prize-winning book, ”Profiles in Courage”.
- Capital: Kyiv
- Currency: Ukrainian hryvnia
- President: Volodymyr Zelenskyy
- Prime minister: Denys Shmyhal
Indian Navy’s NIETT, Kochi signed MoU with IIM Kozhikode to exchange best practices
- The Naval Institute of Educational and Training Technology (NIETT) based at Naval Base Kochi signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K).
- The MoU is intended to build collaboration and exchange of best practices in the field of Instructional Leadership, Educational Psychology and Management.
- The Indian Navy also signed MoU with M/S Larsen and Toubro (L&T) for nurturing and inducting various technological domains into the Indian Navy.
- The Ministry of Defence (MoD) and AYUSH Ministry signed MoU for setting up Ayurveda Centres at 37 Cantonment Hospitals and 12 Military Hospitals of Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) at various parts of India.
IIT-Delhi signed MoU with POSOCO to conduct R&D on India’s power sector
- Northern Regional Load Despatch Centre (NRLDC) of Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO) and Indian Institute of Technology Delhi signed an MoU to encourage research and development on issues related to India’s power sector and strengthen interaction between the academia and industry.
- The MoU aimed at strengthening industry-academia interaction with goals of knowledge sharing and capacity building through collaboration.
- It also encourages research on issues related to India’s power sector such as ancillary services for grid operations, short term demand and Renewable Energy forecasting using artificial intelligence and machine learning, dynamic security assessment, phasor measurement, unit analytics etc.
About Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO):
- Founded: March 2010
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- CMD: S R Narasimhan
New Space India Limited inked pact with OneWeb for satellite launches
- New Space India Limited (NSIL), a commercial arm of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and OneWeb, inked an agreement to complete OneWeb’s Satellite Launch Programme.
- The pact was signed in the mutual interest of NSIL and Oneweb, for developing Satellite Constellation Network, delivering industry-grade secure Internet connectivity.
- The first launch with the NSIL is expected to be launched from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) formerly called as Sriharikota Range (SHAR), Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh by 2022.
- The new launches will add OneWeb’s Low Earth Orbit (LEO) communication satellites, in-orbit constellation network to 428 satellites, which is 66 percent of the planned total fleet to deliver a high-speed, low latency connectivity.
About New Space India Limited (NSIL):
- Founded: 6 March 2019
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- CMD: Narayanan
- ED: Radhakrishnan Durairaj
Book and Author
Naveen Patnaik released 2 books “The Magic of Mangalajodi” & “The Sikh History of East India”
- Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik released 2 books, a coffee table book titled “The Magic of Mangalajodi” by Avinash Khemka; and a compilation of the Sikh history of eastern India titled “Sikh History of Eastern India” by Abinash Mohapatra.
- The coffee table book “The Magic of Mangalajodi” provides a bird’s eye view of Mangalajodi in Chilika lake through various images and descriptions.
- Sikh History of Eastern India is a result of the meticulous research work on Sikh history and philosophy by Abinash Mohapatra. This is a compilation of 8 books authored by Abinash Mohapatra, which includes a Sikh history of Bihar, Assam, Bangladesh, West Bengal, Odisha, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
23 April: World Book and Copyright Day
- World Book and Copyright Day, also known as World Book Day & International Day of the Book, is an annual event organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to promote reading, publishing, and copyright.
- The first World Book Day was celebrated on 23 April 1995 and continues to be recognized on that day. Till now world book day is celebrated every year on the 23rd of April.
- The UN agency chose this particular date to posthumously commemorate and immortalise the memory of literary personalities like Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, Miguel de Cervantes and William Shakespeare – two of which died on April 23 and the other (Miguel) on April 22 (1616).
- Theme 2022: ‘Read…So you never feel alone.’
23 April: UN English Language Day
- English Language Day is celebrated on 23 April annually and is a United Nations (UN) observance day.
- The day is observed to spread awareness and respect for the history, culture and achievements of each of the six UN working languages.
- The day coincides with both the birthday and death day of William Shakespeare and World Book Day.
- In 2010, the Department of Global Communications decided to observe April 23 as English Language Day together with other days celebrated for each of the UN’s six official languages namely English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish, and Russian.
24 April: National Panchayati Raj Day
- National Panchayati Raj Day is celebrated every year on 24 April in India.
- The Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24th April, 1993 has vested constitutional status on Panchayati Raj institutions.
- The National Panchayati Raj Day (NPRD) is being celebrated on 24 April since 2010.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs