Current Affairs 23rd March 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Kerala became 1st state to introduce carbon-neutral farming methods
- Kerala became the first state in India to introduce carbon-neutral agricultural practices in select locations for better soil health. The Kerala Government in its Budget 2022-23, allocated ₹6 crores for introducing Carbon-neutral farming methods in the state.
- In the first phase, the Agriculture Department will implement carbon-neutral farming in 13 farms including in tribal areas and steps were also taken to convert the State Seed Farm at Aluva to a carbon-neutral farm.
- In the second phase, model carbon-neutral farms will be developed in all the 140 Assembly constituencies.
- Carbon-neutral farming is the technique of decreasing carbon emissions and aid carbon storage in the soil, through techniques such as Integrated farming methods, Crop rotation, Fertigation, Precision Farming methods, shifting how the soil is irrigated, and restricting the haphazard use of Fertiliser application.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
- Chief minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
Pushkar Singh Dhami took oath as Chief Minister of Uttarakhand for 2nd term
- Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Pushkar Singh Dhami was sworn in as Chief Minister of Uttarakhand at the Parade Ground in Dehradun for the second consecutive term. Along with him, eight cabinet ministers were also administered the oath.
- Governor Lieutenant General Gurmit Singh administered him the oath of office and secrecy. The BJP contested the Assembly elections under Dhami’s leadership and secured a comfortable majority in the 70-member House, winning 47 seats.
- He was appointed CM of Uttarakhand for the first time in 2021. He was elected as MLA in Uttarakhand Vidhan Sabha from Khatima in 2012 and 2017 respectively. He is also the youngest CM of Uttarakhand.
- Capitals: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
- Governor: Lt Gen Gurmit Singh
- Chief minister: Pushkar Singh Dhami
Knight Frank’s Global House Price Index Q4 2021: India ranked 51st; Turkey topped
- India has improved its rank by five spots to be placed at 51st position in the ‘Global House Price Index Q4 2021’ released by property consultant Knight Frank.
- India was placed at 56thposition in Q4 of 2020. India witnessed a 21 percent annual appreciation in housing price rates during the October-December quarter of 2021 against Q4 of 2020.
- Turkey saw the highest annual price growth rate by 59.6 percent in Q4 2021. New Zealand (22.6 percent), Czech Republic (22.1 percent), Slovakia (22.1 percent), and Australia (21.8 percent) are among the top 5 countries respectively in the latest research report.
- Malaysia, Malta, and Morocco markets recorded a decline in housing prices by 0.7 percent, 3.1 percent, and 6.3 percent, respectively, in the year 2021.
List of India’s Rank in Different Index 2021-22
- Henley Passport index 2022: 83; Japan & Singapore topped
- 2021 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI): 85th, Denmark, Finland, New Zealand topped
- EIU’s Democracy Index 2021: 46th; Norway topped
- 10th International Intellectual Property Index (IIP Index 2022): India ranked 43rd; US topped
- V-Dem’s Democracy Report 2022: 93rd; Sweden topped
- World Happiness Report 2022: 136th; Finland topped
IQAir’s 2021 World Air Quality Report: New Delhi is world’s most polluted capital city
- New Delhi has been ranked the world’s most polluted capital city for the second consecutive year as per IQAir’s 2021 World Air Quality Report.
- New Delhi is followed by Dhaka (Bangladesh), N’Djamena (Chad), Dushanbe (Tajikistan), and Muscat (Oman) as the top five most polluted capital cities respectively.
- Meanwhile, Bhiwadi was the most polluted city in India, followed by Ghaziabad, Delhi, and Jaunpur.
- Bangladesh was the most polluted country, followed by Chad, Pakistan, and Tajikistan. India was the fifth most polluted country.
- The 2021 World Air Quality Report by Swiss organization IQAir is the first major global air quality report based on updated annual WHO air quality guidelines for PM2.5. The new guidelines were released in September 2021 and cut existing annual PM2.5 guideline values from 10 Aug/m 3 to 5 Aug/m 3.
Banking and Financial
RBI canceled license of People’s Co-operative Bank Ltd Kanpur, UP
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has canceled the license of People’s Co-operative Bank Limited, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh as the bank failed to adhere to the requirements of Sections 22(3) (a), 22 (3) (b), 22(3)(c), 22(3) (d) and 22(3)(e) – under Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- The bank is found to lack adequate capital and earning prospects under the provisions of Section 11(1) and Section 22 (3) (d) – under Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 – ‘Act to apply to co-operative societies subject to modifications’.
- The bank is prohibited from continuing its ‘banking’ business such as acceptance of deposits and repayment of deposits as defined in Section 5(b) as mentioned in Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 with effect from the close of business on March 21, 2022.
Banks whose license got canceled by RBI recently:
- Maharashtra’s Mantha Urban Cooperative Bank, Jalna Dist
- Maharashtra-based Independence Co-operative Bank, Nashik
- Karnala Nagari Sahakari Bank, Panvel in Maharashtra
- Goa-based Madgaum Urban Cooperative Bank
- Dr Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd, Nilanga, Latur
- Sarjeraodada Naik Shirala Sahakari Bank, Sangli, Maharashtra
PhonePe acquired a 100% stake in freelance entrepreneur network GigIndia
- PhonePe, a digital payment company backed by Flipkart announced the acquisition of a 100 % stake in GigIndia, which is a network for freelance micro-entrepreneurs.
- Under the acquisition, PhonePe will get the leverage of GigIndia’s network of 1.5 million freelance micro-entrepreneurs to help corporates and promote development. GigIndia’s customer base includes companies like Amazon, Paytm, Tata Group, Reliance Industries, Swiggy, PayU, among others.
- Aim: To strengthen its offerings to corporate and enterprise partners.
- PhonePe’s key services are payments and financial services, and the Walmart-owned company has a 47 percent share of monthly Unified Payments Interface (UPI) volumes.
- Founded: 2015
- Headquarters: Bangalore, Karnataka
- Founder & CEO: Sameer Nigam
Fitch Ratings projected India’s FY23 growth forecast at 8.5%
- Fitch Ratings in its ‘Global economic Outlook-March 2022’ declined India’s growth forecast for FY23 (2022-2023) by 1.8 percentage points to 8.5% from 10.3% due to high energy prices amid the Russia-Ukraine war.
- On the other hand, for FY22, the agency has increased the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth by 0.6 pp to 8.7% from 8.1%. For 2023-24, it is estimated at 7 percent.
- For FY22, the agency declined the world GDP growth forecast by 0.7 pp to 3.5% from 4.2%. For FY23, it also revised down world growth by 0.2pp to 2.8% from 3%.
Note: India GDP projected for FY22 & FY23
- Crisil-5% for FY22, 7.8 for FY23
- Economic Advisory Council to PM: 0-7.5% in FY23, 5% in FY22
- Goldman Sachs: 9.1% in FY22
- Word Bank-3%, 8.7% in 2022-23
- ICRA-9% in FY22 and FY23
- National Statistical Office (NSO):2% in the financial year 2021-22, 6.6% in 2020-21
- Economic Survey 2021-22: 8-8.5% for FY23
Diebedo Francis Kere became first African to win 2022 Pritzker Architecture Prize
- Architect, educator, and social activist Diebedo Francis Kere from Burkina Faso, West Africa became the first African to win the 51st Pritzker Architecture Prize 2022. It’s a most prestigious honor in the field of architecture.
- In 2021 French architects Anne Lacaton and Jean-Philippe Vassal won the 50th Pritzker Architecture Prize. Balkrishna Doshi is the first Indian winner of the 2018 Pritzker Prize.
- Established by the Hyatt Foundation in 1979, the Pritzker architecture prize is bestowed on architects whose built work demonstrates a combination of talent, vision, and commitment.
- Diebedo Francis Kere is known for his pioneering and sustainable designs of schools, health facilities, housing, civic buildings, and public spaces across Africa.
- In 2017, he became the first African architect to design the Serpentine Pavilion in Hyde Park, London, United Kingdom. It is a prestigious assignment awarded each year to a prominent architect.
- He was also one of the architects behind Geneva’s International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum.
Devendra Jhajharia became 1st para-athlete to receive Padma Bhushan
- Devendra Jhajharia became the first para-athlete to receive the Padma Bhushan award. He has won many Paralympic medals, including gold at the 2004 Paralympics in Athens and 2016 Rio Games, and a silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Avani Lekhara (para-shooter) was also awarded the Padma Shri award in the Sports category. She is the first Indian woman to win two Paralympic medals in the same Games, as well as the first Indian woman to earn Paralympic gold.
Ministry of Civil Aviation & FICCI organized ‘WINGS INDIA 2022’ in Hyderabad
- Ministry of Civil Aviation (MOCA) and FICCI are jointly organizing Asia’s largest event on Civil Aviation (Commercial, General and Business Aviation), titled ‘WINGS INDIA 2022’. WINGS INDIA AWARDS will also be conferred during this event.
- The event focuses on new business acquisition, investments, policy formation, and regional connectivity. It is being held from 24th to 27th March 2022, at Begumpet Airport, Hyderabad.
- Theme: India@75: New Horizon for Aviation Industry
About Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI):
- Founded: 1927
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- President: Sanjiv Mehta
- Secretary General: Dilip Chenoy
- Director-General: Arun Chawla
3rd India-Uzbekistan joint military exercise EX-DUSTLIK began in Yangiarik, Uzbekistan
- The third edition of the joint training exercise between Indian and Uzbekistan armies titled ‘EX-DUSTLIK’ is being conducted at Yangiarik, Uzbekistan from 22 to 31 March 2022.
- It will focus primarily on sharing tactical level drills and learning of best practices from each other. The Indian contingent will be represented by the Grenadiers Regiment and will join the Uzbekistan Army contingent represented by troops of the North-Western Military District.
- The Last edition of DUSTLIK was conducted in Ranikhet, Uttarakhand in March 2021.
Note: Some Important Exercise:
- Red Flag-India and US
- Al Nagah-India and Oman
- ‘Naseem-Al-Bahr’-India and Oman
- Ekuverin-India and Maldives
- Garuda Shakti-India and Indonesia
- Desert Warrior- India and Egypt
World no. 1 Ashleigh Barty announced retirement from professional tennis
- World number one Tennis player in the women’s category, Ashleigh Barty aged 25 years, has announced her retirement from professional tennis.
- She won her first Grand Slam at the 2019 French Open. In January 2022, she became 1st home player to win the Australian Open men’s or women’s singles title in 44 years.
- Serena Williams is the only other active female player to have won major titles on clay, grass, and hard courts.
Book and Author
A new book titled “Unfilled Barrels: India’s oil story” authored by Richa Mishra
- Indian journalist and reporter (Hindu Business line) Richa Mishra has authored a new book titled “Unfilled Barrels: India’s oil story”. The book is published by Bloomsbury Publishing India Pvt. Ltd (Bloomsbury).
- Through this book, the author aims to recount the story of India’s upstream sector (Oil and Gas) and highlight the need of producing own oil and gas.
23 March: World Meteorological Day
- World Meteorological Day is celebrated globally on March 23rd every year. The day is celebrated as the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), and it concentrates on the behavior of Earth’s atmosphere.
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO) was established on March 23, 1950. The roots of the organization emerged from the International Meteorological Organization (IMO) and were inspected by Vienna International Meteorological Congress 1873. In the year 1950, WMO finally came into motion by the sanction of the WMO convention.
- Theme 2022: Early Warning and Early Action.
23 March: Shaheed Diwas or Martyrs’ Day
- Shaheed Diwas or Martyrs’ Day is celebrated on March 23 every year to pay tribute to the freedom fighters who gave their lives for India’s independence from British rule.
- The day was observed to pay tribute to the death anniversary of the freedom fighters Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, and Shivaram Rajguru, who laid their lives for the freedom of India. Also, 30 January is observed as Martyr’s Day or Shaheed Diwas in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi.
- On March 23, three heroes of our nation were hanged to death, namely Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru, and Sukhdev Thapar by the British. Therefore, in order to homage to the three of these revolutionaries, India has commemorated March 23 as Shaheed Diwas.
Former Prime Minister of Mali Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga passed away
- Former Prime Minister of Mali, Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga passed away at the age of 67 in Bamako, Mali. He served as the PM of Mali for the tenure of 2 years (2017- 2019).
- Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga was born on 8 June 1954 in Gao, Mali. He was the leader of the Alliance for Solidarity party in Mali. He was a journalist by training and in the 1990s he was appointed as the director of intelligence services by President Alpha Oumar Konaré.
- Before joining as the PM, He served as Minister of Foreign Affairs (2011-12) under President Amadou Toumani Touré. He also served as Minister of Defense (2013 -14) under President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita.
- Capital: Bamako
- Currency: West African CFA franc
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs