Current Affairs 23rd May 2022 Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Table of Contents
NMCG approved Rs 660 crores Water Infrastructure Projects
- The 42nd Meeting of the Executive Committee of National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) under the Chairmanship of G Asok Kumar, Director General, NMCG approved 11 projects with an estimated cost of approx Rs 660 crores to develop Water Infrastructure Projects along the River Ganga.
- Projects approved for Interception, Diversion and Treatment Works in Saharanpur Town focusing on cleaning River Hindon, Uttar Pradesh.
- Rejuvenation of Chamunda Mai Pond in GarhMukteshwar, Uttar Pradesh, was announced. The total area of the pond to be rejuvenated is about 10,626 Square metres.
- Environmental Upgradation of Shivna River in Mandsaur, Madhya Pradesh, with the cost of Rs. 28.68 crore dol immersion facility.
Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated North East Research Conclave 2022 at IIT-Guwahati
- Union Minister for Education and Skill Development Dharmendra Pradhan launched the North East Research Conclave (NERC) 2022 at IIT Guwahati.
- It is being held between 20th and 22nd May 2022 jointly with the Science, Technology, and Climate Change Department and the Department of Education, Government of Assam at the IIT Guwahati campus.
- The inauguration of the conclave was followed by the signing of a MoU between IIT Guwahati and the Government of Assam to establish ‘The Assam Advanced Health Innovation Institute (AAHII).
Piyush Goyal will lead Indian delegation at the WEF in Davos
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal will lead Indian delegation at World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland from May 22 to 26.
- This event will assist to strengthen India’s status as a vital and relevant player in creating the global narrative, especially as it prepares to take over the G-20 presidency next year.
- The annual meet of the WEF, a Geneva-based international organisation working towards an array of global issues, will take place in a physical form for the first time since January 2020.
- Theme: “Working Together, Restoring Trust”
About World Economic Forum (WEF):
- Founded: January 1971
- Founder & Executive Chairman: Klaus Schwab
- Headquarters: Cologny, Switzerland
Anthony Albanese sworn in as Australia’s 31st PM
- Labour Party leader Anthony Albanese was sworn in as Australia’s 31st Prime Minister with four key Cabinet members, including new Foreign Minister Penny Wong.
- Richard Marles is the new Deputy Prime Minister and Employment Minister, Jim Chalmers is Treasurer, and Katy Gallagher is Attorney General and Finance Minister. It is Australia’s first Labour.
- Outgoing Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who was heading the Liberal-National coalition has conceded defeat.
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian dollar
Jose Ramos-Horta sworn in as president of East Timor
- Former independence fighter and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Jose Ramos-Horta was sworn in as president of East Timor (Timor-Leste).
- He defeated incumbent Francisco “Lu Olo” Guterres, his fellow independence fighter, in the election.
- Ramos-Horta was prime minister from 2006 to 2007 and president from 2007 to 2012. East Timor is marking the 20th anniversary of independence for Asia’s youngest country.
About East Timor:
- Capital: Dili
- Currency: United States Dollar
India and Jordan signed MoU for cooperation in fertiliser sector
- During the visit of Union Minister of Chemicals & Fertilizers Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya to Jordan, MoUs were signed with Jordan to ensure the supply of Phosphatic and Potassic fertilizers to India.
- The objective is to secure fertilizers for the short and long term. This comes in the backdrop of the ongoing global fertilizer crisis.
- For the current year, MoUs were signed with Jordan Phosphate Mining Company (JPMC) for the supply of 30 LMT Rock Phosphate, 2.50 LMT DAP, and 1 LMT phosphoric acid.
- A long-term MOU for 5 years was also signed with Jordan for annual supplies of 2.75 LMT of Muriate of potash (MoP) which will be increased every year up to 3.25 LMT.
- In 2015, a Joint venture project worth USD 860 million between the Jordan Phosphate Mines Company (JPMC) and the Indian Farmers Fertilizers Cooperative (IFFCO) for the manufacturing of Phosphoric Acid was set up in Jordan.
- Capital: Amman
- Currency: Jordanian dinar (JOD)
- Prime Minister: Bisher Al-Khasawneh
Banking and Financial
India recorded all-time high FDI inflow of $83.57 bn in 2021-22
- As per the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, India has recorded the highest-ever annual FDI inflow of USD 83.57 billion in 2021-22.
- In 2020-21, the inflow stood at USD 81.97 billion. FDI equity inflow in manufacturing sectors has increased by 76% in 2021-22 (USD 21.34 bn) compared to 2020-21 ($12.09 billion).
- In terms of top investor countries, Singapore is at the top with 27%, followed by the US (18%) and Mauritius (16%) during the last fiscal.
- Among sectors, computer software and hardware attracted maximum inflows followed by the services sector and automobile industry.
IDBI Bank will sell 25% stake in Ageas Federal Life Insurance for Rs 580 crores
- IDBI Bank has barged into a share purchase agreement to sell its remaining 25% stake in private sector life insurer Ageas Federal Life Insurance for Rs 580 crore.
- It will help Ageas, one of the few foreign insurers to increase its stake in its Indian insurance joint venture to 74 percent after the government raised the FDI capin the insurance sector.
- The deal is scheduled to close in Q2FY23, pending regulatory approvals and the fulfilment of the share purchase agreement’s terms and conditions. Ageas, a European insurer, has already expanded its stake in the Indian insurer from 26% to 49% in December 2020.
- The insurer’s name was changed from IDBI Federal Life Insurance to Ageas Federal Life Insurance as a result of this.
- Ageas Insurance International now owns 49% of the private sector life insurer Ageas Federal Life Insurance, while Federal Bank owns 26%. Ageas Insurance International will increase its investment in the insurance company to 74% after purchasing IDBI Bank’s 25% interest.
About IDBI Bank:
- Founded: 1 July 1964
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- MD & CEO: Rakesh Sharma
Appointment and Resignation
IFS Vivek Kumar appointed as new PS to Prime Minister Modi
- The appointment committee of the cabinet has approved the appointment of Vivek Kumar as the Private Secretary (PS) to Prime Minister Narendra Modi at joint secretary level.
- He will take over as PM Modi’s private secretary from Sanjeev Kumar Singla. Vivek Kumaris the director of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) and is a 2004 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer. Kumar has joined the PMO as a deputy secretary in 2014.
- He is a BTech in chemical engineering from IIT Bombay and has served in diplomatic positions in Russia and Australia. India’s Ambassador to Israel, Sanjeev Kumar Singla, is ready to take over.
PN Vasudevan stepped down as MD & CEO of Equitas Small Finance Bank
- PN Vasudevan, Managing Director and CEO, Equitas Small Finance Bank headquartered at Chennai in Tamil Nādu, has decided to step down from his role in order to focus on the public charitable trust.
- Concerned Bank Board shall be forming a Search Committee shortly to undertake the process of identifying a successor to become next Managing Director and CEO.
- Till the successor is found, PN Vasuden would officiate as MD & CEO of Equitas Small Finance Bank.
- Small Finance Banks are the financial institutions which provide financial services to the unserved and unbanked region of the country. SFBs are registered as a public limited company under the Companies Act, 2013.
About Equitas Small Finance Bank Ltd:
- Founded: 2016
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Part-Time Chairman: Arun Ramanathan
- Tagline: It’s Fun Banking
Anjali Pandey won CII EXCON Committed Leader Award
- Anjali Pandey, Engines and Components Business Unit Leader at Cummins India has been awarded the Committed Leader Award at CII EXCON 2022 in Bengaluru for her efforts to create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Cummins views Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) as a competitive advantage and hence it’s a business imperative.
- Cummins India has taken active measures to increase its female representation over the past few years resulting in an increase in gender diversity ratio from 5 to 32 percent over the last two decades, which is a significant achievement for a manufacturing organization.
4th India-Bangladesh Navy Bilateral CORPAT exercise commenced in Northern Bay of Bengal
- The 4th edition of the Indian Navy-Bangladesh Navy Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) The patrolling drill commenced in the northern Bay of Bengal and would continue between May 22 and 23.
- Both units will undertake joint patrolling along International Maritime Boundary Line. The last IN-BN CORPAT was conducted in October 2020.
- Indian Navy’s indigenous warships, INS Kora and INS Sumedhaalong with Bangladesh Navy’s warships BNS Ali Haider and BNS Abu Ubaidah would touch the waters during patrolling. Maritime Patrol Aircraft of both navies will also undertake joint patrol along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) during CORPAT.
Note: Some Important Exercise:
- Red Flag-India and US
- Al Nagah-India and Oman
- ‘Naseem-Al-Bahr’-India and Oman
- Ekuverin-India and Maldives
- Garuda Shakti-India and Indonesia
Max Verstappen won Spanish Grand Prix 2022
- Formula One world champion, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won the Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
- Mexican Sergio Perez finished second, 13 seconds behind but with the consolation of a bonus point for fastest lap, after being told to let his teammate pass for a third victory in a row after Imola and Miami.
- Britain’s George Russell came third for a revived Mercedes and after going wheel-to-wheel with Verstappen early on in a thrilling display of defensive driving as they battled for second place behind Leclerc.
Note: List of 2022 F1 Race
- Bahrain Grand Prix: Charles Leclerc (Ferrari-Monaco)
- Saudi Arabian Grand Prix: Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands)
- Australian Grand Prix: Charles Leclerc
- Emilia Romagna Grand Prix: Max Verstappen
- Miami Grand Prix: Max Verstappen
Odisha won 12th Hockey India Senior Women’s National Championship title 2022
- Odisha women’s team has won its first-ever gold in Senior Nationals as they defeat Karnataka 2-0 in the final of the 12th Hockey India Senior Women’s National Championship.
- Earlier, HockeyJharkhand defeated Hockey Haryana 3-2 in the third-fourth place match. The 12th Hockey India Senior Women’s National Championship was held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Punam Barla (34′)opened the scoring in the match in the third quarter as Odisha picked up the lead. Ashim Kanchan Barla (59′) sealed the game with a late goal as Odisha beat Karnataka 2-0 to claim the championship.
Manchester City won 2021-22 Premier League Football championship
- Manchester City have been crowned 2021/22 Premier League champions their fourth title success in the last five seasons.
- Manchester City win over Aston Villa in the final game of the season. In Manchester City’s 38 league matches this season, they have won 29, drawn six, and lost three, scoring 99 goals in the process.
- Manchester City have now won four Premier League titles and eight major trophies under Pep Guardiola since his arrival in the summer of 2016.
23 May: International Day to End Obstetric Fistula
- UNInternational Day to End Obstetric Fistula is marked on 23rd May since 2013 to promote action towards treating and preventing obstetric fistula, a condition that affects many girls and women during childbirth in developing countries.
- In 2003 the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and its partners launched the global Campaign to End Fistula, a collaborative initiative to prevent fistula and restore the health of those affected by the condition. The day was officially recognised in 2012.
- Obstetric fistula is a devastating childbirth injury, and a neglected public health and human rights issue.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs