Current Affairs 28th July 2022 Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
India designated 5 new Ramsar sites
- Environment Minister Bhupendra Yadav has announced that India has designated five new Ramsar sites or wetlands that are of international importance.
- These are the Karikili Bird Sanctuary, Pallikaranai Marsh Reserve Forest and Pichavaram Mangrove in Tamil Nadu, the Sakhya Sagar in Madhya Pradesh and Pala Wetland in Mizoram.
- There are now a total of 54 Ramsar sites in the country.
- On the occasion of World Wetlands Day on 2 February, India added Khijadia Wildlife Sanctuary in Gujarat and Bakhira Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh to the list of Ramsar sites in India.
- As per the Ramsar Convention on wetlands report, the wetlands are disappearing three times faster than forests, with 35% of the wetlands lost from 1970-2015.
- The alarming situation demands urgent attention as 40% of the world’s plant and animal species breed in wetlands. The wetlands are also vital feeding and breeding grounds for migratory birds.
- The Ramsar Convention on Wetlands, an international treaty, aims at the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands. Named after the city of Ramsar in Iran, the convention was signed in 1971.
ONGC signed an MoU with Greenko to produce green hydrogen
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has signed an MoU with renewable energy company Greenko ZeroC to make green hydrogen and to jointly pursue opportunities in renewables, and other derivatives of green hydrogen.
- Under the partnership, the companies will jointly develop a 1-MMTPA green ammonia production and storage facility in the country for export purposes.
- The activities envisaged under this MoU will contribute toward India’s target of producing 5 million tonnes of Green hydrogen per annum by 2030. This MoU will also act as a stepping stone for ONGC to achieve renewable energy targets as per its Energy Strategy 2040.
- The companies have joined hands at a time when energy companies in India are diversifying their portfolio and investing in renewable energy as the government has set a target for the country to turn carbon neutral by 2070.
About Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Chairman: Alka Mittal
- Headquarters: Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- ONGC signed gas sale agreements with GAIL & AGCL
- India signed an MoU with UK for Mutual Recognition of Educational Qualification
- NHPC signed an MoU with DVC for setting up hydropower projects and pump storage projects
- India and Maldives signed an MoU for judicial cooperation to accelerate court digitization.
- India signed an MoU with Namibia for wildlife conservation
HCL Tech’s Roshni Nadar Malhotra Richest Woman in India
- HCL Technologies’ chairperson Roshni Nadar Malhotra has retained her position as the richest woman in India, with a 54 percent jump in her net worth to Rs 84,330 crore in 2021.
- Falguni Nayar has emerged as the richest self-made woman with a net worth of Rs 57,520 crore, as per the Kotak Private Banking-Hurun list published
- Nayar, who is 59, saw a 963 percent increase in her wealth during the year and is also the second richest woman overall.
- Biocon’s Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw witnessed a 21 percent decline in her fortune and has moved down one rank to be the third richest woman in the country with a wealth of Rs 29,030 crore.
- The cumulative wealth of these 100 women have increased 53 percent in a year to Rs 4.16 lakh crore in 2021 from Rs 2.72 lakh crore in 2020, and they now contribute 2 percent of India’s nominal GDP.
- The highest number of entrants in the list are from Delhi-National Capital Region at 25, followed by Mumbai (21) and Hyderabad (12).
iDEX-DIO signed 100th contract for defence innovation
- The defence ministry has signed the 100th contract for defence innovation under a framework called ‘iDEX’ that was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2018.
- Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) is the flagship initiative of the Department of Defence Production and it was rolled out to encourage start-ups and other such entities engaged in defence innovation.
- The iDEX initiative is being implemented by the Defence Innovation Organization (DIO), which was established under the Department of Defence Production.
- iDEX has been successful in generating thousands of jobs and has attracted talent back to the country. And, Rs 250 crore worth of projects have been allocated and procurement of 14 items worth over Rs 400 crore has been cleared.
Bharat Forge arm signed an agreement with Talgo for manufacturing trains
- Bharat Forge subsidiary BF Infrastructure has signed an agreement with Talgo for manufacturing high-speed passenger trains in India.
- Talgo is a wholly owned subsidiary of Spain-based high-speed passenger train manufacturer Patentes Talgo.
- The alliance will address emerging business opportunities in the railways industry and tap upcoming domestic requirements in the field.
- The proposed collaboration will focus on setting up manufacturing, maintenance and life cycle support hub for new generation, energy efficient, lightweight aluminum high-speed trains.
- The tie-up with Talgo India comes in the backdrop of the Indian Railway’s tender for the manufacturing and maintenance of 100 new generation light weight energy.
- JSW Steel partnered with BCG to accelerate decarbonization journey
- Telangana government partnered with UNDP for Data in Climate Resilient Agriculture (DiCRA)
- The Telangana government has joined hands with the United Nations Development
- NASSCOM partnered with Google for DigiVaani Call Center
- RBI and Bank Indonesia signed an MoU to improve mutual cooperation
- RIL partnered with Athletics Federation of India to support Indian Athlete
City Union Bank partnered with Aditya Birla Health Insurance for distribution of health insurance product
- City Union Bank (CUB) and Aditya Birla Health Insurance have announced a tie-up for distribution of health insurance products through the bank’s network.
- While this is the 14th agreement by Aditya Birla Health Insurance with a bank for the bancassurance partnership, CUB has already entered into MoUs with two other health insurance players for the purpose.
- On the other hand, Royal Sundaram General Insurance Co Limited has also entered into a bancassurance partnership with CUB.
- This arrangement will enable the customers of the bank to have easy access to general insurance products from Royal Sundaram across its 727 branches.
- CUB garnered ₹4-5 crore revenue in FY22 through its health insurance tie-ups and its alliance with ABHICL is expected to bring incremental fee-based income for the bank.
- Some of ABHICL’s innovative health plans that will be accessible for CUB customers include Day 1 cover for asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes; wellness coaching on nutrition and fitness; counseling on mental health; incentivized wellness benefits of up to 100% Health Returns and chronic management program, among others.
- While ABHICL has a vast network of more than 10,000 hospitals across the country, the Southern region accounts for one-third of the network of hospitals at about 3500. In Tamil Nadu, its network has 1000 hospitals.
- Royal Sundaram’s general insurance products bouquet includes health, motor, personal accident, and travel, as well as home insurances in retail and insurance against fire, marine, industrial and other risks under commercial lines.
- Vedanta partners with IIT Madras incubated startup
- SBICAP Ventures Ltd (SVL) signed an MoU with MEA for Trilateral Development Cooperation Fund
- HAL signed an agreement with Safran to build helicopter engines
- Health Ministry and Panchayati Raj Ministry signed an MoU to eliminate TB
Japan’s Sakurajima volcano erupted
- Japan’s Sakurajima volcano located on the island of Kyushu, erupted, prompting evacuations in the region.
- Sakurajima is one of Japan’s most active volcanoes and eruptions of varying levels take place on a regular basis.
- The authorities have raised the alert level to the highest level of 5.
- Earlier this year, on January 15, The Hunga Tonga volcano eruption destroyed the uninhabited island of Hunga Tonga Ha’apai.
- It is now officially the largest explosive eruption of the 21st century.
- Capital – Tokyo
- Currency – Yen
- Prime Minister – Fumio Kishida
Banking and Financial
RBI launched awareness campaign for Unclaimed deposits
- RBI has launched a national campaign with a focus on the eight states along with Hindi and English that have maximum amount of unclaimed deposits.
- The unclaimed deposits in banks have sharply jumped to Rs 48,262 crore in FY22 from Rs 39,264 crore in FY21, according to the annual report of the central bank.
- Most of these funds are lying with banks across Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Gujarat, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Karnataka, Bihar, and Telangana/Andhra Pradesh.
- Balances in savings/current accounts not operated for 10 years, or term deposits not claimed within 10 years from the date of maturity, are classified as ‘unclaimed deposits’.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Founded – 1 April 1935
- RBI Nationalized – 1 January 1949
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- RBI set up – Hilton Young Commission
- 1st Governor – Sir Osborne Smith (Australia)
- 1st Indian Governor – CD Deshmukh
- 25th Governor – Shaktikanta Das
- RBI Deputy Governor (4) – 1. Tavarna Rabi Sankar
- Mukesh Kumar Jain
- Michael D Patra
- M Rajeshwar Rao
- Five Subsidiaries of RBI
- Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation of India (DICGC)
- Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Private Limited (BRBNMPL)
- Reserve Bank Information Technology Private Limited (ReBIT)
- Indian Financial Technology and Allied Services (IFTAS)
- Reserve Bank Innovation Hub
- Four currencies note printing presses
- Nashik in Maharashtra owned by govt of India
- Dewas in Madhya Pradesh owned by govt of India
- Mysuru in Karnataka owned by RBI
- Salboni in West Bengal owned by RBI
- Four mints owned by the Government of India
Mumbai, Hyderabad, Calcutta and Noida
Tata Group delivered QRFV to Indian Army
- Tata group’s arm for aerospace and defence, Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL), has transported an indigenously developed Quick Reaction Fighting Vehicle-Medium (QRFV) to the Indian Army.
- The vehicle will enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Army in future conflicts and war-like situations.
- In April, Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane had inducted the first set of QRFV. As per a defence release, the Army Chief had inducted the QRFV, Infantry Protected Mobility Vehicle (IPMV), Ultra Long-Range Observation System developed by TASL and Monocoque Hull Multi-Role Mine-Protected Armoured Vehicle developed by Bharat Forge.
- The initiatives was taken by the Centre for to encourage the production of indigenous defence equipment have resulted in cutting the expenditure on defence procurement from foreign sources from 46 percent of the overall expenditure to 36 percent in the last four years – 2018-19 to 2021-22.
- Indian Army had earlier inducted Ultra Long-Range Observation System earlier.
Russia decided to quit International Space Station after 2024
- Russia has decided to quit the International Space Station (ISS) after 2024.
- Moscow’s space agency Roscosmos’s new chief Yury Borisov announced this decision.
- ISS is a multinational collaborative project involving 5 participating space agencies: NASA (United States), Roscosmos (Russia), JAXA (Japan), ESA (Europe), & CSA (Canada).
- It has been in Earth’s orbit since 1998.
- Capital – Moscow
- Currency – Rubel
- President – Vladimir Putin
SAI started ‘Create for India’ campaign to cheer for Team India at CWG
- A 215-member Indian athlete contingent across 16 disciplines is all set to participate in the Commonwealth Games beginning on July 28 in Birmingham.
- Sports Authority of India has started a new initiative to cheer for Team India with the campaign ‘Create for India’.
- Participants can submit their creative entries by July 26th, 2022, using the hashtags #create4India and #cheer4India.
- SAI Director General – Sandip Pradhan
44th Chess Olympiad started in Chennai from 28 July
- The 44th Chess Olympiad started in Chennai from 28 July 2022. It will be held till 10th August 2022.
- The prestigious competition, which is being organized since 1927, is being hosted in India for the first time and after 30 years in Asia.
- The event’s official mascot has been named ‘Thambi’, a horse clad in the traditional Veshti –Sattai. Buses with ‘Namma Chess, Namma Pride’ written over them alongside a picture of Thambi were flagged by Stalin to travel across the city.
- Rajnikanth and AR Rahman roped in for the promotion of the event.
- On February 25, 2022, FIDE announced that it will move the Olympiad from Moscow and is searching for an alternate place to host the event. However, it was not until March 16, 2022, that Chennai was officially announced as the host city for the 44th Chess Olympiad.
- Tamil Nadu government had announced a budget of Rs 92 crore for the Chess Olympiad. It will be used for the smooth functioning of the event.
- A total of 343 teams from 187 countries are participating in the event, with 25 players from India participating under the mentorship of legendary Indian Chess Grandmaster Vishwanathan Anand.
27 July 2022 – Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam’s 7th death anniversary
- 27 July 2022 marked the 7th death anniversary of former President and Bharat Ratna Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
- He was also popularly known as the Missile Man of India.
- He made significant contribution as Project Director to develop India’s first indigenous Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV-III) which successfully injected the Rohini satellite in the near-earth orbit in July 1980.
- Kalam died of heart attack in 2015 when he was delivering a lecture in Shillong.
- Abul Pakir Zainulabdeen Abdul Kalam was born on 15th October 1931 at Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu. Dr. Kalam specialized in Aeronautical Engineering from Madras Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Kalam is one of the most distinguished scientists of India with the unique honour of receiving honorary doctorates from 30 universities and institutions. He was elected 11th President of India on 25th July 2002.
- Kalam received the prestigious Padma Bhushan (1981), Padma Vibhushan (1990), and Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour (1997).
27 July 2022 – 83rd Raising Day of CRPF
- 27 July 2022 has been observed as the 83rd Raising Day of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- The CRPF is one of the seven Central Armed Police Forces of the country working under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The force was established on July 27, 1939, as the Crown Representative Police.
- After Independence, this force was named Central Reserve Police Force by an Act of Parliament on December 28, 1949.
28 July – World Hepatitis Day
- World Hepatitis Day is observed each year on 28 July.
- Objective – To raise awareness about viral hepatitis, which causes inflammation of the liver that leads to severe disease and liver cancer.
- The hepatitis virus has five primary strains: types A, B, C, D and E.
- The first World Hepatitis Day was observed in 2008.
- Theme 2022 – Bringing hepatitis care closer to you
Punjabi singer Balwinder Safri passed away
- Veteran Punjabi singer Balwinder Safri has passed away. He was 63.
- Balwinder Safri was a UK-based Punjabi singer and was known for his popular tracks like ‘O chan mere makhna’, ‘Pao Bhangra’, ‘Gal Sun Kuriye’, ‘Nachdinu’ and many more.
- He was part of the UK bhangra scene since 1980 and formed the Safri Boyz Band in 1990.
Padma Shri awardee Sushovan Bandyopadhyay passed away
- Sushovan Bandyopadhyay famous as Bengal’s ‘one rupee doctor’ has passed away in Kolkata.
- He treated people for just one rupee and is fondly known as ‘Ek Takar Daktar’ (one rupee doctor).
- He was awarded the Padma Shri in 2020. The same year his name was recorded in the Guinness World Records for treating the maximum number of patients.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs