Current Affairs 7th and 8th May 2022 Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Kerala Govt will launch ‘Shaili App’ for diagnosing, controlling lifestyle diseases
- The government of Kerala is set to launch an Android App ‘Shaili’, aimed at diagnosing and controlling lifestyle diseases among the people in the state of Kerala.
- The app has been set up as part of the population-based screening project launched by the Kerala State Health Department under the ‘Nava Kerala Karma plan’.
- Under the health-screening project, the Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) workers have been tasked with collecting information from persons over the age of 30 in their respective areas about any lifestyle diseases or risk factors they may have.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
India’s 1st Regional Rapid Transit System to be handed over to NCRTC in Gujarat
- India’s first semi-high-speed train set for Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) has been handed over to National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) at Alstom’s Savli project in Gujarat.
- RRTS train sets are being manufactured under Make In India initiative and are capable of running at speed of 180 km per hour.
- It will be brought to Duhai Depot in Uttar Pradesh. NCRTC is the implementing agency of India’s first RRTS corridor between Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut. The 82-kilometer-long route is now under construction.
About National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC):
- Founded: 21 August 2013
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Managing Director: Vinay Kumar Singh
MHA signed MoU with SECI to realize India’s green energy initiative
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has signed MoU with Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI) to promote renewable energy thereby moving towards a carbon-neutral economy in Delhi.
- This MoU envisages collaboration between the two parties for jointly undertaking installation of Solar Rooftop PV Power Plants. Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI)has estimated the total solar power potential of 71.68 MWs in the campuses of CAPFs & NSG.
About Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI):
- Established: 20th September 2011
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
- Chairman: Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi
- Managing Director: Suman Sharma
Haryana launched ‘e-Adhigam’ scheme to distribute tablets to three lakhs students
- The Haryana State Government launches ‘e-Adhigam’ scheme under which nearly 3 lakh students will be receiving tablet computers to aid their online education.
- Under the scheme, Class 10 and Class 12 students of Haryana Board will be eligible to receive free tablets with 2GB internet data.
- Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched Advance Digital Haryana Initiative of Government with Adaptive Modules (Adigham) scheme at Maharishi Dayanand University in Rohtak, Haryana.
Recent Haryana Schemes/apps:
- Matrushakti Udyamita Scheme
- Mukhya Mantri Bagwani Bima Yojana
- Vehicle Movement Tracking System (VMTS) mobile app
Health Minister Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated 3-day Swasthya Chintan Shivir- Health Summit in Gujarat
- Union Health Minister Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya has inaugurated a three-day Swasthya Chintan Shivir (Health Summit) at Kevadiya in Gujarat.
- Aim: Detailed discussion on various topics and policies related to the health sector and recommend ways and means for better implementation of these policies/programmes.
- This summit is being organized as a part of the 14th Convention of the Central Council of Health and Family Welfare (CCHFW).
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- Chief minister: Bhupendrabhai Patel
Delhi government announced Startup Policy to aid the entrepreneur
- The Delhi cabinet has approved the “Delhi Startup Policy” with an aim to create an ecosystem for people to launch startups and provide them with fiscal and non-fiscal incentives, collateral-free loans, and free consultancy from experts, lawyers, and CA.
- The Delhi Government will pay up to 50% of the rent of a startup’s office lease or pitch in for a portion of the salaries that these startups will pay to their employees. We will also reimburse them for the costs incurred on applying for patents, copyrights and trademarks.
- The 20 members task force will be set up to oversee the startup policy. This committee will be headed by Delhi’s Finance Minister.
- Aim: To encourage, facilitate, and support 15,000 startups by 2030.
Recent Delhi Schemes/apps:
- ‘Hobby Hubs’ scheme
- My EV portal
- Shramik Mitra Scheme
- Paryavaran Saathi chatbot & website
United Nations launched Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025
- United Nations has launched UN-Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025 to catalyze large-scale action and support needed for transition to clean, affordable energy for all and net-zero emissions.
- It was launched by some 30 leading organizations comprising UN-Energy. UN-Energy is the United Nations’ mechanism for inter-agency collaboration in the field of energy established by the UN System Chief Executives Board for Coordination (CEB).
- It aims to promote coherence in the UN system´s multi-disciplinary response to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG 7) in support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Energy Compact Action Network was also launched to match those government seeking support for their clean energy goals with those government and businesses that have pledged over $600 billion. It sets out a framework for collective action by nearly 30 UN and international organizations.
About United Nations (UN):
- Founded: 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California, United States
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- Secretary general: António Guterres
Banking and Financial
Adani Wilmar became India’s largest FMCG company surpassing HUL
- Adani Wilmar Limited became the largest Fast Moving Consumer Goods Company (FMCG) in India beating Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), after the announcement of its Quarter Four results for the financial year 2022 (Q4FY2022).
- AWL has reported the total operational revenue of Rs 54,214 crore in the Financial Year 2022 whereas HUL reported the revenue of Rs 51,468 crore in the Financial Year (FY) 2021-22.
- In Q4FY22 (January-March 2022), the AWL has seen a 40 percent jump in revenue from operations to Rs 14,960 despite a 26 percent i.e., Rs 234.29 crore hit in net profit in the same period.
About Adani Group:
- Founded: 1988
- Headquarters: Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Chairman: Gautam Adani
- Managing Director: Rajesh Adani
L&T Infotech and Mindtree announced merger to become India’s 5th-largest IT services provider
- L&T Infotech and Mindtree, two independently listed IT services companies under Larsen & Toubro Group have announced merger that would create India’s fifth-largest IT services provider.
- This combined entity will be known as LTIMindtree This proposed integration will see Mindtree and LTI join strengths to create an efficient and scaled up IT services provider exceeding USD 3.5 billion.
- These opportunities will create a more distinctive employee value proposition and stronger partnerships with ecosystem players.
About Larsen & Toubro Infotech Limited:
- Founded: 23 December 1996
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Sanjay Jalona
Appointment and Resignation
Sudarshan Venu appointed as Managing Director of TVS Motor company
- Sudarshan Venu has taken over as the Managing Director of TVS Motor Company. Prior to this, he was the Joint Managing Director of the company.
- His elevation coincides with the appointment of Prof Sir Ralf Dieter Speth as the Chairman of the company. He succeeded Venu Srinivasan, who has become the Chairman Emeritus of the company.
- TVS Motor Company is Indian motorcycle manufacturer headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It is the 3rd largest motorcycle company in India.
About TVS Motor Company:
- Headquarters: Chennai
- CEO: N. Radhakrishnan
Air Marshal Sanjeev Kapoor assumed charge as Director General (Inspection and Safety) of Indian Air Force
- Air Marshal Sanjeev Kapoor has assumed the appointment of Director General (Inspection and Safety) of Indian Air Force at Air HQ New Delhi.
- The Air Marshal is a graduate of the National Defence Academy and was commissioned in the Flying branch of IAF in December 1985 as a Transport Pilot.
- Sanjeev Kapoor is an alumnus of Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) Wellington, College of Defence Management and National Defence College.
- He is a recipient of Vayu Sena Medal and Ati Vishist Seva Medal. In a service career spanning over 36 years, he has tenanted important command and staff appointments.
List of Chiefs and DGS
- Army Chief– Manoj Pande
- Vice Chief of Indian Army- BS Raju
- Naval Chief- R Hari Kumar
- Air Chief – Vivek Ram Chaudhari
- IB- Arvind Kumar
Alkesh Kumar Sharma appointed as new Secretary for Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
- Alkesh Kumar Sharma, 1990 batch IAS of Kerala cadre, has assumed charge as Secretary of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY).
- Sharma worked as Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director of the National Industrial Corridor Development Corporation Limited (NICDC) (earlier DMICDC) from October 2015 to September 2019. He was also CEO of National Industrial Corridor Development and Implementation Trust (NICDIT).
- Prior to this, he served as the Additional Secretary and Secretary in Cabinet Secretariat. He was also chairman of Indian Highways Management Company and implemented FASTAG system of toll collection.
Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship signed MoU with ISRO to launch ISRO Technical Training Programme
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) signs an MoU with the Indian Space Research Organisation with the goal of upskilling the technical workforce at the Department of Space of ISRO.
- The initiative aims to establish a formal framework for short-term courses to provide training for the skill development and capacity building of ISROtechnical professionals in the space domain in the country, in accordance with industry requirements.
- Over the next five years, more than 4000 ISRO technical professionals will be taught in the programme. The training will take place at MSDE’s National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs) throughout India.
- Founded: 15 August 1969
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Chairman: S Somanath
Asian Games 2022 to be held in Hangzhou, China postponed to 2023
- The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) announced that Asian Games 2022, due to be held in Hangzhou, China in September, has been postponed to 2023 due to rising COVID-19 cases in the country.
- The Olympic Council of Asia, the governing body for the Asian Games, said it will announce the new dates for the 19th edition of the Games. The Asian Games 2022 were originally scheduled from September 10 to 25.
- The OCA also announced that the third edition of the Asian Youth Games, scheduled to be held in Shantou in December, have been cancelled. The World University Games 2021, to be held from June 26 to July 27 in Chengdu this year, have also been pushed to 2023.
About Olympic Council of Asia (OCA):
- Founded: 16 November 1982, New Delhi
- Headquarters: Kuwait City, Kuwait
- Acting President: Raja Randhir Singh
Book and Author
Rajnath Singh released a book titled ‘INDO-PAK WAR 1971- Reminiscences of Air Warriors’
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh released a book titled ‘INDO-PAK WAR 1971- Reminiscences of Air Warriors’ at the 37th Air Chief Marshal PC Lal Memorial Lecture organised by the Air Force Association in New Delhi, Delhi.
- The book was edited by Air Marshal Jagjeet Singh and Group Captain Shailendra Mohan. The book features 50 Swarnim articles written by veterans narrating their experience in detail.
- Defence Minister also paid tribute to Air Chief Marshal Pratap Chandra Lal (PC Lal). Air Chief Marshal Pratap Chandra Lal (PC Lal), served as the Vice Chief of the Air Staff during the 1965 war and had served as the 7th Chief of the Air Staff during the 1971 war.
7 May: World Athletics Day 2022
- World Athletics Day is being celebrated globally on the 7th May 2022 to raise awareness about the importance of fitness and encourage them to play sports, especially athletics.
- The basic objective of World Athletics Day is to boost the participation of youths in athletics.
- In 1996, World Athletics Day was started by the then International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) President Primo Nebiolo. The World Athletics federation and an international governing body for the field of athletics.
7 May 2022: BRO 62nd raising day
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was founded on 7th May 1960 as a leading road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence with Shramena Sarvam Sadhyam (everything is achievable through hard work) as its motto.
- On 7 May 2022 BRO celebrated its 62nd Raising Day (foundation day). BRO is a leading road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence.
- Its primary role is to provide road connectivity in India’s border areas. It also creates upgrades and maintains infrastructure along borders to meet India’s overall tactical and strategic goals.
About Border Roads Organisation (BRO):
- Founded: 7 May 1960
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Director-General: Gen. Rajeev Chaudhary
8 May 2022: Mother’s Day
- Mother’s Day is being celebrated this year on 8 May 2022. Mother’s Day is celebrated to show appreciation and love towards motherhood worldwide. It is celebrated all over the world on the second Sunday in May.
- The first Mother’s Day was celebrated by Anna Jarvis of Philadelphia in the year 1908. On 12th May 1908, she held a memorial for her late mother in the church of Grafton, West Virginia.
- Within five years, nearly every state had observed the day, and President Woodrow Wilson of the United States declared it a national holiday in 1914.
8 May: World Thalassaemia Day
- World Thalassemia Day is observed on May 8, every year to create awareness about the ailment and support patients, their families and health care workers with information to combat it.
- The event was first organised by the Thalassemia International Federation (TIF) in 1994, in memory of George Englezos, the son of TIF founder Panos Englezos. He had lost his life to the disease. Since then, the event is observed every year.
- Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder in which the body fails to create enough haemoglobin, resulting in the weakening and destruction of red blood cells. Two types of thalassemia, alpha and beta occur, with Thalassemia Minor, Thalassemia Intermedia and Thalassemia Major being sub-categories.
- Theme 2022: “Be Aware. Share. Care: Working with the global community as one to improve Thalassemia knowledge.”
8 May: World Red Cross Day
- World Red Cross Day is observed globally on 8th May every year. The day aims to broaden the public’s understanding of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Red Crescent Societies are affiliated and work in cooperation with the World Red Cross to assist in the activities of the movement.
- Henry Dunant was born on 8th May, 1828 and also was the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. World Red Cross Day is also known as World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day. In 1863, Henry Dunant established the Red Cross Committee International in Geneva, Switzerland.
- In 1934, the principles of the Red Cross Truce were presented at the 15th International Conference. It was approved at the same conference. World Red Cross Day is annually celebrated on May 8, 1948. In 1984 it was named as World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day.
- Theme 2022: #BeHUMANKIND (Believe in the power of Kindness).
About International Committee of the Red Cross:
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founder: Henry Dunant
- Founded: 17 February 1863, Geneva, Switzerland
- President: Peter Maurer
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs