Current Affairs 8th December 2021, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2021: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 4-5 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2021.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2021, Daily GK Update 2021. All the important updates based on current affairs 2021 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2021 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2020 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2021 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2021.
Kazhuveli Wetland declared as 16th Bird Sanctuary of Tamil Nadu
- The Kazhuveli wetland situated in Villupuram district of Tamil Nadu has been declared as the 16th Bird Sanctuary by Surpiya Sahu, Environment and Forest Secretary, at the Minister of Environment Forest and Climate Change.
- The declaration was made under subsection (1) of section 18 of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972. The Kazhuveli wetlands is referred to as the 2nd largest Brackish Water Lake in South India, only after Pulicat lake.
About Tamil Nadu:
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief minister: K. Stalin
- Governor: N. Ravi
Adama Barrow won second term as President of Gambia
- The President of Gambia, Adama Barrow, won the second term as President during Gambia’s presidential election by achieving over 53% votes from 50 of 53 constituencies.
- He defeated his main challenger Ousainou Darboe who won 27.7% of the vote. The results of the election were declared by Electoral commission Chairman Alieu Momarr Njai.
- Capital: Banjul
- Currency: Gambian dalasi
Banking and Financial
RBI imposed restrictions on Nagar Urban Co-operative Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India imposed several restrictions on Nagar Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, including restrictions on withdrawals up to Rs. 10,000 for customers.
- RBI has issued the directions in the exercise of powers vested in it under subsection (1) of Section 35 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 read with Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 for six months.
About Nagar Urban Co-operative Bank:
- Headquarters: Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
- Acting CEO: V. Rokde
- Slogan: ‘One Family….. One Bank’
RBI Monetary Policy (8th December 2021): kept repo rate unchanged at 4% for the 9th consecutive time
- The Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) Monetary Policy Committee headed by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Shaktikanta Das kept the key lending rate, repo rate unchanged at 4 percent for the ninth consecutive time while maintaining an ‘accommodative stance’ as long as necessary.
- The reverse repo rate will continue to be 35 percent. The central bank had last revised the policy rate on May 22, 2020, in an off-policy cycle to perk up demand by cutting the interest rate to a historic low. The meeting was held between December (6 to 8). The remaining will take place in February (7 to 9, 2022).
- India’s GDP, in the second quarter of FY22, grew at 8.4 percent, compared with a decline of 7.4 percent in the corresponding period in the last year.
- The projection for real GDP growth is retained at 9.5% in 2021-22, consisting of 6.6% in Q3, & 6% in Q4.
- Real GDP growth is projected at 17.2% for Q1 of 2022-23 and at 7.8% for Q2 of 2022-23.
- The inflation projection was retained for FY22 at 5.3%, 5.1% for Q3, 5.7% for Q4, and 5% for Q1 FY23.
Current Policy Rate:
|Reverse Repo Rate||3.35%|
|Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) Rate||4.25%|
|Cash reserve Ratio (CRR)||4.0%|
|Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)||18.0%|
J&K Bank launched revised mobile banking app ‘mPAY Delight’
- R K Chhibber, Chairman and Managing Director of Jammu & Kashmir Bank launched its revised and refurbished mobile banking app named ‘J&K Bank mPAY – Delight’ for the public.
- The app was initially launched (soft launch) in July 2021. The features of the app include Account Details (Deposit and Advances), Fund Transfer, Bill Payments & Donations, Positive Pay System and Bharat Bill Pay, etc.
About Jammu & Kashmir Bank:
- Founded: 1 October 1938
- Headquarters: Srinagar
- Tagline: ‘’Serving to Empower’’
PayPhi became the 1st certified tokenization service for NTS to support tokenization of RuPay cards
- On the lines of the guidelines issued by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in September 2021 regarding tokenization of cards during online transactions, NPCI announced the launch of NPCI Tokenization System (NTS).
- In this regard, PayPhi, Phi Commerce’s API (Application programming interface) first digital payments platform, became the first certified tokenization service for NTS supporting tokenization of RuPay cards. Tokenization of cards as an alternate to storing card details with merchants.
- NPCI’s NTS platform enables PayPhi Tokenization service to provide partner merchants and aggregators with TROF. Token Reference On File (TROF) turns sensitive cardholder data into randomly generated 16 digit numbers called “token” with no meaningful value if breached.
About National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
- Founded: 2008
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
Shivalik SFB & Indiagold partnered to launch India’s 1st loan against ‘Digital Gold’
- Shivalik Small Finance Bank (SSFB) signed a partnership agreement with fintech firm, Indiagold to launch India’s first Loan against Digital Gold.
- This agreement will enable customers to use their digital gold balance to avail instant and digital loans upto Rs. 60,000 and also seamlessly access gold loans starting at a monthly interest of just 1%.
- Aim: To provide access to secure and affordable credit to the customers looking for quick liquidity against their gold assets.
About Shivalik Small Finance Bank (SSFB):
- Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- MD & CEO: Suveer Kumar Gupta
ICICI Bank partnered with Flipkart to offer instant digital Overdraft Facility
- ICICI Bank partnered with Flipkart, an e-commerce platform, to offer an instant and digital overdraft (OD) facility of up to 25 lakh to individual sellers and businesses registered on Flipkart.
- The OD is renewable on an annual basis, depending on the repayment track records of the seller. The OD Facility is enabled by Application Programming Interface (API) and the process from application to sanction to disbursement is completely digital.
- Sellers having a current account with ICICI Bank can immediately avail OD and Customers of any bank can also avail of ODs from ICICI Bank if they are registered as sellers with Flipkart.
About ICICI Bank:
- Founded: 1955 (Incorporated in 1994)
- Headquarters: Vadodara
- MD & CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Chairperson: Girish Chandra Chaturvedi
- Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khayal Apka
Appointment and Resignation
Ittira Davis appointed as MD & CEO of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
- The Board of Directors of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank (SFB) appointed Ittira Davis as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for a period of 3 years.
- Ittira Davis is succeeded by former MD and CEO Nitin Chugh. The bank has also appointed Rajesh Kumar Jogi, Harish Devarajan, and Umesh Bellur as additional directors.
About Ujjivan Small Finance Bank:
- Founded: 2017
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- MD & CEO: Ittira Davis
Sanjiv Mehta will be appointed as Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) President
- Sanjiv Mehta, Chairman and Managing Director of Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) will be appointed as Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) President.
- He will be succeeding Uday Shankar, the current President of
- Currently, Sanjiv Mehta is also the President of Unilever South Asia and is a member of the ‘Unilever Leadership Executive’ which is Unilever’s Global Executive Board.
Note: List of Chairman of Important Organisation
- SIDBI: S Ramann
- SEBI: Ajay Tyagi
- NABARD: Chintala Govinda Rajulu
- NHRC: Arun Mishra
- UIDAI: Saurabh Garg
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT): B. Mohapatra
Nilmani Phookan Jr & Damodar Mauzo won Jnanpith Award
- Sahitya Akademi and Padma Shri awardee Assamese poet Nilmani Phookan Jr won the 56th Jnanpith Award and Sahitya Akademi Awardee Konkani novelist Damodar Mauzo won the 57th Jnanpith Award.
- Jnanpith Award is a literary award presented by the Bharatiya Jnanpith organization to Indian writers every year. This was instituted in 1961 and is given only to Indian writers who write in Indian languages and English.
- The country’s highest literary award, the Jnanpith is bestowed on writers for “their outstanding contribution to literature”.
Indian Shuttler PV Sindhu won Silver at BWF World Tour Finals 2021; Viktor Axelsen and An Se-young won gold
- Indian Shuttler and 2-time Olympic medalist Pusarla V Sindhu, world’s number 7, won the silver at the 2021 Badminton World Federation(BWF) World Tour Finals, officially known as the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals 2021, the final tournament of the Women’s Singles 2021 BWF World Tour.
- The reigning world champion PV Sindhu has won the BWF World Tour finals in 2018 and became the only Indian to achieve the feat.
HSBC BWF World Tour Finals 2021 Winners:
|Women’s Singles title||An Se Young (South Korea)||PV Sindhu (India)|
|Men’s Single title||Viktor Axelsen (Denmark)||Kunlavut Vitidsarn (Thailand)|
|Men’s double Title||Takuro Hoki and Yugo Kobayashi (Japan)||Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo. (Indonesia)|
|Women’s Double Title||Kim So-yeong and Kong Hee-yong (South Korea)||Nami Matsuyama and Chiharu Shida. (Japan)
Book and Author
A book titled ‘The Midway Battle: Modi’s Roller-coaster Second Term’ authored by Gautam Chintamani
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu launched a book titled ‘The Midway Battle: Modi’s Roller-coaster Second Term’ authored by Gautam Chintamani at Upa-Rashtrapati Nivas, New Delhi.
- The book mentioned about the political scenario of India. It marks the second tenure of the current Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Other Books of Gautam Chintamani:
- Rajneeti: A Biography of Rajnath Singh,
- Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak,
- Nouf: A Yogi in Saudi Arabia: A Preview,
- Dark Star: The Loneliness of Being Rajesh Khanna,
- Pink: The Inside Story
7 December: National Armed Forces Flag Day
- National Armed Forces Flag Day, also known as the National flag day of India is celebrated and observed every year in India on 7th December.
- A committee was set up on August 28, 1949, under the then Defense Minister of India. The committee decided to observe a Flag Day annually on December 7.
- The aim to observe this day as the national armed forces day is to collect funds from the people for the betterment of armed forces.
India’s 1st woman psychiatrist Sarada Menon passed away
- Padma Bhushan Dr Mamballaikalathil Sarada Menon, India’s 1st woman Psychiatrist and the longest-serving head of the Institute of Mental Health has passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- She was born in a Malayali family in Mangaluru, Karnataka. She became the 1st woman Superintendent of the Institute of Mental Health in 1961.
- She established the Schizophrenia Research Foundation (SCARF India) in 1984 along with psychiatrist R Thara. She was honored with Padma Bhushan in 1992 for social works.
Chief of Defence Staff Bipin Rawat and his wife passed away in IAF Chopper Crash in Tamil Nadu
- Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Bipin Rawat, his wife Madhulika Rawat, and 11 others died in an IAF Mi-17V5 helicopter crash on Wednesday, 8 December, the Indian Air Force has confirmed in a tweet.
- An IAF Mi-17V5 helicopter, with General Bipin Rawat, his wife, the pilot Wing Commander Prithvi Singh Chauhan, and staff, as well as other senior officials on-board, crashed in Tamil Nadu’s Coonoor.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs