Daily Current Affairs 20th February 2023 Daily GK Update
Daily current affairs are extremely important for competitive exams because they help candidates stay updated on the latest events and developments in the world. This knowledge is essential for answering questions in the general awareness or current affairs section of the exam, which is often included in many competitive exams such as UPSC, SSC, Bank Exams, etc. Additionally, having a good understanding of current affairs can also help candidates in other sections of the exam, such as reasoning, English, and quantitative aptitude. In short, staying updated on current affairs is crucial for performing well in competitive exams and increasing the chances of success.
First state-level ‘shrimp mela’ began in Punjab
- Punjab’s first state-level ‘Prawn Fair’ began at Enakheda village in Muktsar district.
- This mela is an effort of the state government to create more awareness about shrimp farming.
- This fair is being organized to make farmers aware of various schemes for fish farming and to encourage more and more people to participate in it.
- In this, experts will help farmers understand about aquaculture.
- Shrimp farming began in the state in 2016-17.
- Capital – Chandigarh
- Chief Minister – Bhagwant Mann
- Governor – Banwarilal Purohit
Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurated SemiconIndia Conference 2023
- The Minister for Communications, Electronics & Information Technology and Railways, Ashwini Vaishnaw has inaugurated the ‘SemiconIndia Conference of Electronics Manufacturing Supply Chain Ecosystem in New Delhi.
- The conference held a panel discussion on the existing semiconductor ecosystem in India.
- It is being organized by the Institute of Supply Management (ISM).
Ashwini Vaishnaw in News
- Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurated AMRPTEX 2023 in Maidan, Delhi.
- Ashwini Vaishnaw launched ‘Digital Payments Utsav’ in New Delhi
- Ashwini Vaishnaw launched ‘Stay Safe Online’ Campaign
- Ashwini Vaishnaw launched Entrepreneurship Cell at C-DOT Campus, Delhi
- Ashwini Vaishnaw announced new train ‘Kashi Tamil Sangamam’
First G20 meeting of Finance Ministers to be held on 24 February
- The first G20 meeting of Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) under the G20 Indian Presidency will be held on the 24 to 25 of February in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das will jointly chair this meeting.
- It will see the participation of Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of the G20 members, invitee members and heads of International Organizations. Seventy-two delegations will attend the meeting.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur will inaugurate the G20 FMCBG meeting.
G20 in News
- G20 Global Tech Summit (GTS) – Visakhapatnam (16 – 17 February 2023)
- First G20 Culture Working Group Meeting – Khajuraho, MP (22 – 25 February 2023).
- First Agriculture Deputies Meeting of the Agriculture Working Group – Indore (14 February 2023)
- Digital economy working group meeting – Lucknow (13 February 2023)
- Inception Meeting of G-20 empower group of Women & Child Development Ministry – Agra (11-12 February 2023)
Kerala CM inaugurated Biodiversity Congress
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has inaugurated the 2nd edition of the State Biodiversity Congress in Kozhikode, Kerala.
- It is organized by the Kerala State Biodiversity Board under the theme ‘Biodiversity and Livelihood’.
- It features sessions and events related to the theme including a workshop on ‘Conservation of Biodiversity for Women’s Empowerment and Livelihood’.
- The exhibition has around 100 stalls featuring products ranging from a variety of rice seeds, Theyyam costumes, bamboo craft, traditional food products (especially millet products), spices, traditional crops, traditional medicine, traditional agricultural products, and stalls by several government departments.
- Capital – Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister – Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor – Arif Mohammad Khan
Jaishankar unveiled bust of Sardar Vallabhai Patel in Fiji’s capital Suva
- India’s External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has unveiled Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s bust in India House in Fiji’s capital Suva.
- He was in Fiji from 15-17 Feb 2023, where he participated in the 12th World Hindi Conference.
- Jaishankar also launched an India-funded project for the Solarisation of the Pacific Heads of State Residences launched by the Pacific Islands Development Forum (PIDF).
- The leaders of the two countries took stock of bilateral relations and discussed ways to further strengthen the development partnership between India and Fiji in various sectors including capacity building, health, education, agriculture and information technology.
- Capital- Suva
- Currency- Fijian dollar
- President – Wiliame Katonivere
- Prime Minister- Sitiveni Rabuka
Banking and Financial
Karnataka Bank awarded ‘Prathista Puraskar’ under Digidhan Awards 2022
- Karnataka Bank has been awarded with ‘Prathista Puraskar’ under ‘Digidhan Awards 2021-22’ by the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology for achieving target with highest percentage in BHIM-UPI transactions in private sector bank category.
- The bank is currently undertaking an accelerated digital drive ‘KBL-NxT’ under its transformation journey ‘KBL VIKAAS 2.0’.
- This award is an ideal tribute to the founding fathers of this great institution as Karnataka Bank is stepping into its 100th year of its fruitful existence.
About Karnataka Bank
- Founded- 18 February 1924
- Headquarters– Mangalore, Karnataka
- MD & CEO- Mahabaleshwara M S
RBI announced 2nd global hackathon ‘HARBINGER 2023’
- The Reserve Bank of India recently announced the “HARBINGER-2023”. It is a hackathon.
- The theme of the hackathon is “Inclusive Digital Services”.
- Competitors from 22 different countries will participate in the hackathon.
- This includes Israel, the Philippines, Singapore, Sweden, the USA, and the UK. RBI also received 363 proposals from Indian candidates.
- The hackathon is to be conducted in four segments namely Digital Banking, regulations, transactions, and the use of blockchain in transactions.
- The winner will get Rs 40 lakhs and the runner-up will get Rs 20 lakhs.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Founded – 1 April 1935
- RBI Nationalized – 1 January 1949
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- RBI set up – Hilton Young Commission
- 1st Governor – Sir Osborne Smith (Australia)
- 1st Indian Governor – CD Deshmukh
- 25th Governor – Shaktikanta Das
- RBI Deputy Governor (4) – 1. Tavarna Rabi Sankar
- Mukesh Kumar Jain
- Michael D Patra
- M Rajeshwar Rao
Appointment and Resignation
C.P. Radhakrishnan sworn in as new governor of Jharkhand
- P. Radhakrishnan was sworn-in as the 11th governor of Jharkhand.
- Acting chief justice, Jharkhand high court, Justice Aparesh Kumar Singh administered him oath of office at a ceremony organized at the Birsa Mandap of Raj Bhavan.
- He succeeded Ramesh Bais, who served as the Governor of Jharkhand since July 2021.
- Radhakrishnan is a two-time Lok Sabha member from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Capital – Ranchi
- Chief Minister – Hemant Soren
- Governor – P. Radhakrishnan
Ramesh Bais takes oath as Governor of Maharashtra
- Ramesh Bais took oath as the 22nd Governor of Maharashtra, replacing Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- Bais was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Acting Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court S V Gangapurwala at the Raj Bhavan here.
- Previously, he was the Governor of Jharkhand.
- Koshyari, who served as the Maharashtra governor from September 2019, resigned last week after a controversial tenure.
- Capital – Mumbai
- Chief Minister – Eknath Sindhe
- Governor – Ramesh Bais
- Governor of Arunachal Pradesh – Lt. General Kaiwalya Trivikram Parnaik
- Governor of Sikkim – Lakshman Prasad Acharya
- Governor of Jharkhand – C P Radhakrishnan
- Governor of Himachal Pradesh – Shiv Pratap Shukla
- Governor of Andhra Pradesh – S. Abdul Nazeer
Chetan Sharma steps down as Chief Selector of Indian cricket team
- Chairman of the senior men’s selection committee, Chetan Sharma has submitted his resignation to BCCI Secretary Jay Shah.
- He did this following a sting operation by a private news channel.
- Chetan Sharma was reinstated as the chief selector after India’s bitter-sweet campaign at the T20 World Cup in Australia.
- S Sharath, Subroto Banerjee, Salil Ankola, and Shiv Sunder are the other 4 selectors in the 5-member selection committee.
About Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
- Founded – 1928
- Headquarters – Wankhede Stadium
- 1st President – R E Grant Govan
- 39th President – Roger Binny (12 oct)
- Vice president – Rajeev Shukla
- Secretary – Jay Shah
- Men’s coach – Rahul Dravid
- Women’s coach – Ramesh Powar
VP Rajan Amba appointed as MD of Jaguar Land Rover India
- Jaguar Land Rover India, part of Tata Motors, has appointed Rajan Amba, Vice President – Sales, Marketing and Customer Care, Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles.
- He will be replacing Rohit Suri, who announced his retirement from the position of MD and President back in January 2023.
- Amba will be taking up his new position in JLR from 1st March 2023.
- He started his career in 1990 and worked at Nike, Titan Watches, and Levi Strauss companies.
- Vice Chief of Army -MV Suchindra Kumar
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of YouTube – Indian-American Neil Mohan
- President of the Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) – Aniket Sunil Talati
- World’s Brightest’ student – Indian-American student Natasha Perianayagam
- Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) – Dr. Rajeev Singh
Saurashtra beat Bengal to bag second Ranji Trophy title
- Saurashtra has won the Ranji Trophy 2022-23 title by defeating Bengal by 9 wickets in the final match played.
- Saurashtra won their second Ranji Trophy title at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
- Saurashtra won the Ranji Trophy title for the first time in 2019-20.
- Saurashtra captain Unadkat was adjudged man of the match for his nine-wicket haul in the match, while teammate Arpit Vasavada was adjudged player of the Ranji season.
20 February – Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh Foundation Day
- Northern States Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh celebrated their Foundation Day on February 20.
- Arunachal Pradesh became the 24th state of India and is also known as the ‘land of the rising sun’.
- Mizoram was declared a UT in 1972 under the Northeast Areas (Reorganisation) Act of 1971.
- It became the 23rd state of India after the 53rd Amendment to the Indian Constitution in 1986.