Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs 23rd October 2023 Daily GK Update
Current Affairs quiz 2022, Daily gk updates and Current affairs is playing a major role in any competitive exam. so here we are providing the current affairs quiz on daily basis for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Competitive Examinations.
Here you can find Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB Clerk Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Assistant Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Grade B, Current Affairs Quiz for SSC.
Odisha to promote maize cultivation
- Odisha Government has decided to launch a programme to enhance the acreage under maize cultivation, introducing superior varieties of grain.
- The cabinet led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik made a provision of Rs 481.94 crore for the crop diversification scheme for five years at a meeting.
- The scheme – Mukhyamantri Maka Mission (MMM) – will be implemented in a “more scientific and progressive way”.
- The government will also work on increasing the productivity of pulses, oilseeds, and fibre crops (cotton and jute) besides maize. This is expected to give a boost to employment generation in rural areas and augment farmers’ income in the state.
- The state government also decided to enhance the corpus fund for procurement and prepositioning of fertilizers from Rs 90 crore to Rs 150 crore.
- Capital – Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
- Governor – Raghubar Das (26th)
CBSE develops Vidya Samiksha Software- Saagar se Saraansh
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has developed Vidya Samiksha Software- “Saagar se Saraansh” as part of the Vidya Samiksha Kendra for amplifying data-based decision-making.
- Vidya Samiksha Software of CBSE aims to leverage data and technology to bring a big leap in decision-making and governance
- This software covers data from more than 28 thousand CBSE schools, over 13 lakh teachers, and approximately 3 crore students.
- The data will be used for effective analysis of academic enrichment projects in schools in order to enhance the overall monitoring of the CBSE education system. It has over 12 billion data points.
- This software is compliant with the National Digital Education Architecture that was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2021. The software provides real-time updates and data processing.
- The existing data resources collected by CBSE have been utilized to bring forth insights and generate reports to provide guidance and direction for the Board, Departments, Regional Offices, Schools, Teachers, and Students.
Sex Ratio at Birth improved from 904 in 2017-19 to 907 in 2018-20
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Mansukh Mandaviya convened the 29th meeting of the Central Supervisory Board (CSB), marking a crucial occasion to reiterate the nation’s commitment to addressing gender discrimination against girls and women.
- The primary concern discussed at the meeting was the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) in the country, indicative of the ongoing battle against sex-based discrimination leading to sex selection/ determination followed by pre-birth elimination.
- Citing the latest Sample Registration Survey (SRS) report of 2020, the Minister announced significant progress in the SRB. The data revealed a commendable three-point improvement from 904 in 2017-19 to 907 in 2018-20.
- Importantly, 12 out of 22 surveyed states have demonstrated improvement, underlining the combined efforts of the states in implementing the Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (Regulation and Prevention of Misuse) Act, 1994 (PC&PNDT Act) and the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme.
- The latest SRS report indicated that the Gender Gap has witnessed a two-point decrease in 2020 compared to a five-point gap in 2015. 10 states have effectively reversed the gender gap, positively impacting female survival rates.
- Dr Mandaviya also emphasized the challenges posed by modern technologies, such as IVF procedures, the Non-Invasive Prenatal Test (NIPT), and compact diagnostic equipment, which facilitate sex selection under the pretext of family balancing.
PM Modi launches Bengaluru Metro’s Purple Line operations
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has virtually inaugurated the Baiyappanahalli-KR Pura and Kengeri-Challaghatta sections of Bengaluru metro’s purple line.
- The full operation of the metro’s purple line has boosted the connectivity to the IT hub. In Bengaluru, nearly 8 lakh people travel by metro.
- Bangalore has been growing at a faster pace and the Karnataka government has approved the construction of 317 km of metro lines under the comprehensive mobility plan by 2031, of which 257 km are under the operation, construction and planning stage. The feasibility survey of the remaining 60 km of metro lines will be taken up shortly.
- The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited’s network has now been expanded from 69.6 km to 73.8 km, connecting 66 stations.
- The inauguration by Modi also marked 12 years of Namma Metro, which started on a stretch of merely 7 km in 2014. Today, Bengaluru’s metro network is the second longest in the country.
PM Modi in News
- PM Modi launched 511 Pramod Mahajan Grameen Kaushalya Vikas Kendras in Maharashtra
- PM Modi released a new Garba song titled “Maadi”.
- PM inaugurated 3rd edition of Global Maritime India Summit 2023
- PM inaugurated 141st International Olympic Committee Meeting in Mumbai
- PM Modi inaugurated 9th ‘G20 Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit in New Delhi
Mizoram celebrates Anthurium Festival begins with fervor & enthusiasm
- In Mizoram, a two-day-long Anthurium Festival began with all festivities and enthusiasm at Reiek in Mamit District.
- The festival is being organized by the Department of Tourism of Mizoram. Tourism is an important sector for income generation for the overall development of the state. It also provides an avenue for employment to the youth.
- The Anthurium flower is one of the most expensive flowers cultivated in India & widely used in ceremonies ranging from birthdays, weddings as well as funeral services cultural heritage and traditions of the Mizo people.
- Capital – Aizawl
- Chief Minister – Zoramthanga
- Governor – Hari Babu Kambhampati
Banking and Financial
Sberbank becomes first Russian bank to register with SEBI as FPI
- Sberbank of Russia has become the first Russian bank to register with the Indian markets regulator as a foreign portfolio investor (FPI), according to data available on the website of the National Stock Depository (NSDL).
- Sberbank of Russia, a state-owned bank that already has a presence in India, registered with the Indian markets regulator for a Category FPI licence.
- FPIs with category I licence have to follow less lenient beneficial ownership disclosures can subscribe to overseas derivative instruments which have Indian stocks as underlying, and also enjoy certain taxation benefits.
- Category I FPI registration is only granted to government or government-related foreign investors or regulated entities such as banks, sovereign wealth funds, investment trusts, pension funds, and asset management companies.
- Sberbank’s registration takes the total number of Russia-based FPIs in India to five, with all others being non-banks. Till now, Alfa Capital Management, First Asset Management, Igor Noskov, and Vesvolod Rozanov have been granted FPI registrations.
- Sberbank received approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in May 2010 to set up a branch in India and commenced its banking business in January 2011.
- It acts as a key partner for Indian and Russian companies in facilitating bilateral trade. Industry experts expect a few more banks to follow Sberbank’s suit.
Ipsita Dasgupta appoints as SVP & MD for HP India
- Personal computers maker HP (Hewlett-Packard) has appointed former Apple executive Ipsita Dasgupta as Managing Director and Senior Vice President for India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lankan markets, effective 30 October.
- She will report to David McQuarrie, HP chief commercial officer. Gurpreet Singh Brar, who was officiating as interim India MD since November last year, will move to a new role of the vice-president, innovation and growth for HP’s India market.
- Dasgupta was senior director of marketing for Apple Services based at Apple headquarters leading global synergy marketing, external partnership marketing, consumer insights, and market and competitive intelligence for Apple’s subscription services.
- CMD of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) – Sanjay Kumar Jain (replace Mahendra Pratap Maal)
- CMD of Housing and Urban Development Corporation Ltd (HUDCO) – Sanjay Kulshreshtha
- International Dairy Federation (IDF) Board – Dr Meenesh Shah
- Finance Director of Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. (IREDA) – Dr. Bijay Kumar Mohanty
- National president of the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC) – Pankaj Bohra
Ashok Vaswani appoints as MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India has approved the appointment of Ashok Vaswani as Management Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD and CEO) of the Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- Ashok Vaswani replaces Uday Kotak following his resignation after spending 21 years with the bank.
- As per Kotak Mahindra Bank’s regulatory filing, Vaswani has been appointed for a period of three years from the date of taking charge, which shall not be later than January 1, 2024.
- Ashok Vaswani has been a career banker for the past three-and-a-half decades. Vaswani was initially at Citigroup and has built and grown global businesses at scale. While working with Citigroup, he was the CEO of Citigroup Asia Pacific and a Member of the Citigroup Global Operating and Management Committees.
Recent Appointment in Banking & Insurance Sector
- Chairman of the South Indian Bank – VJ Kurian (replace Salim Gangadharan)
- Chairman of SBI – Dinesh Kumar Khara (reappointment)
- Global CEO of PayU – Anirban Mukherjee (replace Laurent Le Moal)
- Executive Director of RBI – Muneesh Kapur
- CMD of General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re) – Ramaswamy N
About Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Founded – 2003
- Founders – Uday Kotak
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman – Prakash Apte
- MD & CEO – Ashok Vaswani
REC Limited honoured with the Golden Peacock Award
- REC Limited, the Maharatna Central Public Sector Enterprise under the Ministry of Power, has been recognized for its exceptional performance in risk management with the esteemed Golden Peacock Award.
- The Golden Peacock Award in Risk Management highlights REC’s continued commitment to implementing effective risk assessment strategies.
- The Golden Peacock Awards, established by the Institute of Directors (IOD), India in 1991, has emerged as an internationally acclaimed standard for corporate excellence.
- REC Limited was selected by the jury panel headed by former Chief Justice of India, Justice M. N. Venkatachaliah.
- Director (Projects), REC, Shri V. K. Singh and Executive Director (Finance), REC, Shri Daljeet Singh Khatri received the award on behalf of REC at a glittering ceremony held in London.
About REC Limited
- REC Limited is an NBFC focusing on Power Sector Financing and Development across India.
- Established in 1969, REC Limited has completed over fifty years of operations.
- It provides financial assistance to state electricity boards, state governments, central and state power utilities, independent power producers, rural electric cooperatives, and private sector utilities.
- Its business activities involve financing projects in the complete power sector value chain; for various types of projects including Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Renewable Energy.
- REC’s funding illuminates every fourth bulb in India. REC has recently diversified into financing infrastructure and logistics sector as well.
Jina Mahsa Amini wins EU’s Sakharov Prize 2023
- The European Union parliament awarded its annual Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought to Iranian woman Mahsa Amini who died in police custody last year and the “Woman, Life, Freedom” movement in Iran.
- On 16 September we marked one year since the murder of Jina Mahsa Amini in Iran.
- The European Parliament proudly stands with the brave and defiant who continue to fight for equality, dignity, and freedom in Iran.
- Amini, 22, born in Iran’s western province of Kurdistan, died in morality police custody in September last year after being arrested for allegedly flouting the Islamic Republic’s mandatory dress code.
- UNWTO’s Best Tourism Village 2023 – Gujarat’s Dhordo Village
- Best Tourism Village of India Award – West Bengal’s Kiriteshwari village
- Best Tourism Village of India Award – Telangana’ s Pembarthi and Chandlapu
- UN Award 2023 – Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- Dalip Singh Saund Award for Political Leadership -Raja Krishnamoorthi
CJI receives Harvard Law School’s “Award for Global Leadership”
- Chief Justice of India (CJI) DY Chandrachud was felicitated with the “Award for Global Leadership” by the Harvard Law School.
- The Chief Justice was announced as the recipient of the award in January this year in an online ceremony.
- The CJI, who was present at the Harvard Law School with David Wilkins, Professor at Harvard Law School and Faculty Director, spoke about the initiatives taken by the Supreme Court during his first year of tenure, which included the use of technology in court processes, the launch of handbook on combating gender stereotypes and others.
- The CJI remembered his time at Harvard as an LLM student in 1982-83 and then an SJD candidate in 1983-1986.
- Cambrian Patrol 2023 military exercise in UK – Indian Army won gold medal
- Girls Leading Change by US First Lady Jill Biden – Indian American Gitanjali Rao
- World’s Best Employers 2023 in Forbes World’s Best Employers list 2023 – NTPC Ltd
- Satyajit Ray Lifetime Film Award at 54th IFFI – Michael Douglas
- Best Asian TV Series at Busan International FF – Hansal Mehta’s newsroom drama series Scoop
ISRO to test the country’s first human spaceflight mission Gaganyaan
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully tested the crew escape system of the country’s first human spaceflight mission Gaganyaan.
- The liquid-propelled single-stage Test Vehicle (TV-D1) lifted off from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota carrying a homegrown system that would be crucial for the safety of the Indian astronauts – the Crew Escape System.
- The test validated the motors that will be used during this mission. This included low-altitude motors, high-altitude motors, and jettisoning motors, that will be put to use to safely eject astronauts away from the vehicle, in case of an emergency.
- The launch was initially halted due to an anomaly, which was corrected, and the spacecraft lifted off at 10 AM. After nine minutes, the mission crew module successfully splashed in the Bay of Bengal, ten kilometers away from Sriharikota.
- The Indian Navy was stationed at the destined place for the recovery of the module. The module was retrieved by Naval divers and was taken to a Naval ship.
- Gaganyaan will be launched from the first launch pad of the Sathish Dhawan Space Centre. India on its way to a manned mission in 2025 will be testing the launch sequences before that schedule.
About Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
- Founded – 15 August 1969
- Headquarters – Bangalore, Karnataka
- Founder / 1st Chairman – Vikram Sarabhai
- 10th Chairman – S Somanath
- Aryabhata India’s first satellites Launched on 19 April 1975
Japan becomes first nation to launch an Electromagnetic Railgun
- The Japanese Ministry of Defense has successfully executed the world’s first electromagnetic railgun fire test from a ship.
- It is conducted in coordination with the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) and represents a significant step forward in Japan’s pursuit of sophisticated defense capabilities.
- ATLA has accomplished ship-board firing test of railgun first time in the world with the cooperation of the JMSDF.
- Objective – To protect vessels against air threats and surface threats by high-speed bullets, ATLA strongly promotes early deployment of railgun technology.
Mohammed Shami becomes 1st Indian bowler to claim multiple 5-wicket hauls in ODI World Cups
- Fast-bowler Mohammed Shami became the first Indian bowler to claim multiple five-wicket hauls in ODI World Cups.
- Shami claimed five wickets against New Zealand to bowl them out for 273 runs in the first innings at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamshala.
- Shami picked the wickets of Will Young, Rachin Ravindra, Daryll Mitchell, Mitchell Santner and Matt Henry in India’s ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 clash against New Zealand. Shami ended up picking five wickets while giving away 54 runs in 10 overs.
- The list of Indian bowlers who have previously achieved this feat includes Shami himself (2019), Ashish Nehra (2003), Venkatesh Prasad (1999), Robin Singh (1999), Yuvraj Singh (2011), and Kapil Dev (1983).
22 October – International Stuttering Awareness Day
- International Stuttering Awareness Day is observed every year on October 22nd.
- Objective – To raise awareness about this speech disorder that affects millions of people worldwide
- Theme – One Size Does NOT Fit All
- In 1998, the ISA officially launched International Stuttering Awareness Day, setting the date as October 22 to coincide with the birthday of the famous English author and playwright, Sir George Bernard Shaw, who was also known to have stuttered.
- Shaw’s experiences with stuttering were an inspiration for many people who stutter and those advocating for greater awareness and acceptance of the condition.
Join Best test series for Current Affairs
Recommended PDF’s for 2023:
- Computer Capsule 2022 : Download PDF
- Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise Online Test Series 2022
- Banking Awareness (Theory+MCQ’s) Complete PDF : Download Now
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS , RBI, SBI, LIC AAO , LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
2023 Preparation Kit PDF
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Static GK/Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Banking Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|Computer Awareness Capsule 2.O||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise PDF 2020||Get PDF here|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2.O E-book||Get PDF here|