Daily Current Affairs 24th May 2023 Daily GK Update
Current Affairs quiz 2022, Daily gk updates and Current affairs is playing a major role in any competitive exam. so here we are providing the current affairs quiz on daily basis for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Competitive Examinations.
Here you can find Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB Clerk Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Assistant Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Grade B, Current Affairs Quiz for SSC.
2nd Trade and Investment Working Group meeting begins in Bengaluru
- The second Trade and Investment Working Group meeting under the G20 India Presidency began in Bengaluru.
- It is a three-day meeting and is attended by 75 delegates from G20 countries, invited countries and regional/international organizations.
- The objective of the Bengaluru meeting is to address issues related to international trade and investment and seek agreeable solutions.
- The first Trade and Investment Working Group meeting was held in Mumbai.
G20 in News (Note – All Meetings are Under the Presidency of G20 by India)
- 2nd G-20 Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRRWG) – Mumbai, Maharashtra (23 – 25 May 2023).
- 3rd G20 Tourism Working Group Meeting – Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir (22 – 24 2023).
- 3rd Energy Transitions Working Group Meeting (ETWG) – Mumbai (15 – 17 2023)
- 2nd G20 Culture Working Group Meeting – Bhubaneswar, Odisha (14 -16 May 2023)
- Youth-20 Consultation Programme – Rishikesh, Uttarakhand (4 – 5 May 2023)
2nd G-20 Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group meeting begins in Mumbai
- The second meeting of the G-20 Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRRWG) began in
- The meeting aims to mitigate the impact of disasters on vulnerable communities by identifying opportunities and examining creative financing mechanisms.
- The three-day meeting will be attended by government officials, industry experts, private sector representatives, and stakeholders from over twenty countries.
- The meeting is based on the theme of “Financing for DRR” from the first DRRWG meeting held in Gandhinagar.
- The Coastal Road Project in Mumbai was discussed during the DRRWG meeting.
G20 in News (Note – All Meetings are Under the Presidency of G20 by India)
- Science 20 Engagement Group Meeting – Bangaram Island, Lakshadweep (1 -2 May 2023)
- Y-20 Pre-Summit Meeting – Leh, Ladakh (26 – 28 April 2023)
- G20 Tourism Expo – Jaipur, Rajasthan (23 -25 April 2023)
- First G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting – Bengaluru, Karnataka (24 -25 April 2023)
- G-20 Research and Innovation Initiative Gathering Conference – Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh (19-20 April 2023)
- G20 Space Economy Leaders Meet – Shillong, Meghalaya (17-18 April 2023)
Maharashtra govt launches new portal ‘Shasan Aplya Dari’
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde has launched the ‘Shasan Aplya Dari’ (government at your doorstep) initiative with an aim to provide benefits of government schemes at one place.
- With an aim to make government schemes available at the doorstep of the common man, the state government will now use a new portal called ‘Mahalabharthi, where all the state schemes will be enlisted.
- The objective of ‘Shasan Aplya dari’ is to take the government schemes to the doorstep of the common people so that they can take benefits of various schemes without any hassle.
- A dedicated cell has been set up in the CM’s office for the initiative and 15,146 volunteers have been appointed for the same across the state.
- Capital – Mumbai
- Chief Minister – Eknath Sindhe
- Governor – Ramesh Bais
Andhra Pradesh CM launches Machilipatnam port project for economic growth
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has formally launched the ₹5,156 crore Machilipatnam port works.
- The port, with an initial cargo capacity of 35 million tonnes, will be completed in two years.
- The capacity of the 4-berth deep water port will be increased to 116 million tonnes as cargo traffic gradually increases.
- The port will help develop Machilipatnam on the lines of developed port cities like Mumbai and Chennai as it will be connected by National Highway 216 and the Gudivada-Machilipatnam railway line soon.
- 25,000 new jobs will be created at each port and the fishing port and fish land center will help fishermen to improve their lives economically.
About Andhra Pradesh
- Capital – Amaravati
- Chief Minister – YS Jagan Mohan Reddy
- Governor – Abdul Nazeer
GRSE’s launched ‘GAINS’ Startup Challenge
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd launched GRSE Accelerated Innovation Nurturing Scheme (GAINS) 2023 in Kolkata.
- The GAINS 2023 Challenge is designed to encourage innovation and fresh perspectives in the shipbuilding industry.
- The primary focus areas for this challenge are Artificial Intelligence, Renewable/Green Energy, Energy Efficiency, and Efficiency Enhancement. By emphasizing these thematic areas, GRSE aims to drive sustainable practices and technological advancements in shipbuilding.
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) was established as a Category 1 Mini Ratna Company and one of India’s premier defence shipyards.
- In 1961, GRSE achieved a remarkable milestone by delivering the first indigenous warship, INS Ajay, to the Indian Navy.
HP government to formulate Green Hydrogen policy
- Himachal Pradesh government has formulated the ‘Green Hydrogen’ policy to promote the use of green hydrogen and establish the state as a leading hub for its production.
- It aims to attract investments in large-scale renewable energy projects, ensuring a consistent and sustainable supply of green electricity for electrolysis.
- The government has already signed an MoU with Oil India Limited to enable the production of green hydrogen and green ammonia on a pilot basis.
About Himachal Pradesh
- Capital – Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Chief Minister – Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu
- Deputy Chief Minister – Mukesh Agnihotri
- Governor – Shiv Pratap Shukla
India to open new consulate in Brisbane
- India has announced plans to open its fourth consulate in Australia in Brisbane, the capital of Queensland state.
- The announcement was made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a diaspora event in Sydney.
- India has a high commission in the national capital Canberra and there are currently consulates in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth. There is also an honorary consulate in Brisbane.
- The oldest Indian consulate was established in Sydney in 1941 as the trade commission of India. A consulate was established in Melbourne in September 2006, and another in Perth in October 2011.
- Brisbane is the most populous city of Queensland state and the third-most populous city in Australia, with a population of about 2.6 million. Indian-origin residents make up the third-largest diaspora in Brisbane.
- Indian-origin residents make up 2.8% of the Australian population.
- Capital – Canberra
- Currency – Dollar
- President – Anthony Albanese
Banking and Financial
Paytm Money launches bond investing
- One97 Communications Limited (OCL), which owns the Paytm brand, its wholly-owned subsidiary Paytm Money Limited has launched bonds platform for retail investors in India.
- The company is making bonds more accessible for retail investors by offering three distinct types: government bonds, corporate bonds and tax-free bonds.
- Bonds on the Paytm Money app present investors with all relevant information in one place and convert everything to yield so that investors can analyze and understand the returns they can earn.
- Investors can find all information related to coupon vs yield, clean price vs dirty price, coupon frequency, and coupon record dates on one dashboard.
Google Pay launches RuPay credit cards support on UPI in India
- Google Pay has launched RuPay credit card support on UPI in India.
- The company has partnered with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to bring the feature to its customers.
- The users can now link their RuPay credit cards with Google Pay to pay at all online and offline merchants where RuPay credit cards are accepted.
- The feature is now available to RuPay credit card holders of Axis Bank, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank, HDFC bank, Indian Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Punjab National Bank and Union Bank of India, the company aid in a statement.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had allowed linking of RuPay credit cards to the UPI platform in June 2022.
- Launched in June 2017, the RuPay credit cards enable secured payments for purchasing goods and services.
Appointment and Resignation
Jayakumar S. Pillai appoints as Deputy MD of IDBI Bank
- The Board of Directors of IDBI Bank approved the appointment of Jayakumar S. Pillai as Deputy Managing Director on the Bank’s Board for 3 years.
- Pillai’s appointment is with effect from the date of his taking charge as specified in the RBI approval received in this regard.
- Pillai is presently working as Chief General Manager and Circle Head in Canara Bank, Mumbai.
- Jayakumar S. Pillai has 32 years and 7 months of experience in Canara Bank.
- He has headed branches in various scales across different geographies and has rich experience in branch banking, mobilization of retail resources, Credit delivery in sectors like Retail, Agriculture, MSME and Recovery.
About Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) Bank
- Founded – 1964
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman – T N Manoharan
- MD & CEO – Rakesh Sharma
- Deputy MD – Jayakumar S. Pillai
Recent Appointment in Banking & Insurance Sector
- President and COO of Paytm – Bhavesh Gupta
- MD & CEO of Bank of Baroda (BoB) – Debadatta Chand
- MD & CEO of Bank of India (BoI) – Rajneesh K
- Chairman of LIC – Siddhartha Mohanty
- CEO of Association of Asset Reconstruction Companies – Hari Hara Mishra
Jayaprakash re-elected as President of Swimming Federation
- Jayaprakash and Monal D Chokshi were re-elected as President and Secretary of the Swimming Federation of India (SFI).
- The SFI will focus on developing grassroots participation in swimming by holding camps and coaches’ clinics at the State-level.
- SFI plans to propose to four states to set up an academy for a year-long camp where foreign coaches will be brought in.
About Swimming Federation of India (SFI)
- Founded- 1948
- Headquarters – Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- President- R N Jayprakash
- CEO- Virendra Nanavati
- Membership- 30 State/UT associations
Neeraj Chopra becomes World No 1 in men’s javelin throw
- Tokyo Olympics gold medalist Neeraj Chopra has achieved the number one ranking in men’s javelin throw for the first time.
- He is the new World No.1 in the rankings issued by the World Athletics.
- Chopra was leading the ranking with 1455 points, 22 ahead of Grena’a’s Anderson Peters.
- Chopra had been at the No.2 position since August 30, 2022, but overtook Peters, the reigning world champion, this week.
- Czech Republic’s Jakub Vadlejch is placed third with 1410 points with Julian Webber of Germany in fourth with 1385 points and Pakistan’s Arshad Nadeem at fifth with 1306 points.
Khelo India University Games begins in Gautam Budh Nagar
- The third Khelo India University Games begins with a Kabaddi event in the Gautam Budh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh.
- 15 teams of different universities are taking part in this event, for which the matches will be held at Shaheed Vijay Singh Pathik stadium in Gautam Buddha Nagar district.
- The official opening ceremony of the Khelo India University Games will take place on May 25 in Lucknow and will continue till June 3.
- The Khelo India University Games will be held in four cities: Gautam Buddha Nagar, Lucknow, Gorakhpur and Varanasi and the closing ceremony of the Games will be held in Varanasi.
- A total of 240 players will participate in wrestling events, while 96 players will participate in Yogasana events.
About Uttar Pradesh
- Capital – Lucknow
- Chief Minister – Yogi Adityanath
- Governor – Anandiben Patel
24 May – Commonwealth Day
- Commonwealth Day is a global celebration observed annually on March 13.
- However, India and some other countries commemorate it on May 24.
- Objective – To raise awareness and highlight the achievements of the 54 Commonwealth nations in diverse areas, such as combating climate change and advancing gender equality.
- Theme 2023 – Forging a Sustainable and Peaceful Common Future.
- The day, also known as Empire Day, aims to unite 2.5 billion Commonwealth citizens in honouring their shared values and principles, as well as pursuing a collective future focused on sustainability and peace.
- The origins of Commonwealth Day can be traced back to 1902 when it was established to pay tribute to Queen Victoria following her death on January 22, 1901.
- The inaugural celebration of this significant day occurred on May 24, 1902, aligning with Queen Victoria’s birthday. However, it was not until 1916 that the event, known as Empire Day at that time, received official recognition as an annual occurrence.
- In 1958, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom at that time, Harold Macmillan, acknowledged the changing dynamics of the relationships among Commonwealth member nations. As a result, he made the decision to rename Empire Day to Commonwealth Day.
Actor Sarath Babu passes away
- Veteran actor Sarath Babu passed away at the age of 71.
- Babu worked predominantly in Tamil and Telugu cinema. He appeared in more than 200 films, including Hindi films too.
- He made his debut in 1973 but gained fame in 1978 through the Tamil film Nizhal Nijamagiradhu, directed by K Balachander.
- He has received eight state Nandi Awards.
Download Online Mock Test Mobile APP
Recommended PDF’s for 2023:
- Computer Capsule 2023 : Download PDF
- Banking Awareness (Theory+MCQs) Complete PDF : Download Now
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS , RBI, SBI, LIC AAO , LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
2023 Preparation Kit PDF
Most important PDF’s for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Exam : Download PDF Now
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Static GK/Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Banking Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|Computer Awareness Capsule 2.O||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise PDF 2020||Get PDF here|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2.O E-book||Get PDF here|