Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs 2nd June 2023 Daily GK Update
Current Affairs quiz 2022, Daily gk updates and Current affairs is playing a major role in any competitive exam. so here we are providing the current affairs quiz on daily basis for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Competitive Examinations.
Here you can find Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB Clerk Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Assistant Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Grade B, Current Affairs Quiz for SSC.
Ahmednagar to be named after Ahilyabai Holkar
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde announced that Ahmednagar district will be named after warrior queen Ahilyabai Holkar.
- The announcement was made during a program organized at the birthplace of Ahilyabai Holkar on her 297th birth anniversary at Chondi village in Ahmednagar district.
- Ahilyabai Holkar, born in 1725, was a famous ruler of the Indore kingdom, known for her wisdom and compassion.
- Earlier, Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde announced that the Bandra-Versova sea-link bridge would be named ‘Veer Savarkar Setu’.
- Capital – Mumbai
- Chief Minister – Eknath Sindhe
- Governor – Ramesh Bais
India, Vietnam hold 3rd Maritime Security Dialogue
- The 3rd India-Vietnam Maritime Security Dialogue was held in New Delhi.
- Both sides discussed ways to better maintain the marine environment which is helpful for the inclusive development of both countries.
- They also reviewed maritime cooperation initiatives and avenues of reinforcing international and regional mechanisms for comprehensive maritime security.
- Senior officials from ministries and services dealing with maritime affairs participated in the dialogue.
French company Alstom to make 100 Vande Bharat trains
- French railway major Alstom has emerged as the lowest bidder for manufacture and maintenance of 100 aluminium Vande Bharat trainsets, valued at Rs 30,000 crore.
- The company, which is a major player in the Indian railway and urban transport sector, bid Rs 150.99 crore as the cost to manufacture one trainset, followed by a consortium of Swiss rolling stock company Stadler Rail and India’s Medha Servo, which quoted Rs 169.9 crore to build one trainset.
- The basic manufacturing cost would be paid upon delivery of the trainsets, while the remaining portion of close to Rs 17,000 crore would be paid for maintenance for a period of 35 years.
- The train is pegged to have a speed capability of 200 km per hour.
1,275 Railway Stations to be upgraded under Amrit Bharat Station Scheme
- The Consultative Committee of Members of Parliament for the Ministry of Railways has resolved to upgrade 1,275 railway stations under Amrit Bharat Station.
- The decision was taken at a meeting in New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw.
- The catering services were given to passengers through either static or mobile units, adding that there were 473 pairs of trains with pantry cars/mini pantries and 706 pairs of trains with a train-side vending facility.
- It added that there were 9,342 minor and 582 Major Static units of Indian Railways which included the Jan Aahaars outlets, Food Plazas, and Refreshment Rooms.
3rd Employment Working Group meeting organized in Geneva
- The Indian G20 Presidency is organizing the third Employment Working Group EWG meeting at the International Labour Organization ILO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It is a G20 tradition since the inception of the EWG, to organize an Employment Working Group at the side-lines of the ILO’s annual International Labour Conference in Geneva.
- 78 delegates from twenty G20 member countries, nine guest countries and four International Organizations are attending the meeting.
- The Ministry of Labour and Employment’s international knowledge partners, ILO, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development OECD, International Social Security Association ISSA, World Bank and a domestic knowledge partner, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship are attending the meeting to provide their technical expertise to the Group.
G20 in News (Note – All Meetings are Under the Presidency of G20 by India)
- 2nd G-20 Anti-Corruption Working Group Meeting – Rishikesh, Uttarakhand (25 – 27 May 2023)
- 2nd G-20 Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group Meeting – Mumbai, Maharashtra (23 – 25 May 2023)
- 2nd Trade and Investment Working Group Meeting – Bengaluru, Karnataka (23 – 25 May 2023)
- 2nd G-20 Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRRWG) – Mumbai, Maharashtra (23 – 25 May 2023).
- 3rd G20 Tourism Working Group Meeting – Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir (22 – 24 2023)
Banking and Financial
Bajaj Allianz Life launches term insurance plan for Type 2 diabetics
- Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance has launched an exclusive term plan Bajaj Allianz Life Diabetic Term Plan Sub 8 HbA1c.
- This is a first-of-its-kind protection plan in the Indian life insurance industry designed especially for Type 2 diabetic and pre-diabetic individuals.
- The plan offers coverage by factoring in the nuances of the health condition of those having diabetes.
- For pre-diabetic or Type 2 diabetic individuals whose HbA1c is up to 8 percent, the comprehensive plan will enable them to provide financial security.
- The insurer offers a 10% premium reduction for individuals trying to achieve health goals and other health management services.
- The policy term ranges from five to 25 years and premiums can be paid monthly/annually.
Recent Facilities Launched in Banks & Insurance Sector
- YES BANK launches new logo and Life Ko Banao Rich campaign
- Razorpay launcheds “Turbo UPI” with Axis Bank & NPCI
- Axis Bank launches a digital onboarding platform ‘Sarathi’
- Paytm launches Paytm SBI Card on RuPay Network with NPCI
- Bank of Baroda launches electronic bank guarantee on its digital platform
Appointment and Resignation
Govt appoints Ashwani Kumar as MD & CEO of UCO Bank
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Ashwani Kumar, Executive Director of Indian Bank as MD and CEO of UCO Bank.
- Kumar will replace Soma Sankara Prasad, who is due to superannuate on May 31. It may be recalled that Centre had in December 2021 appointed Prasad as MD & CEO of UCO Bank.
- Ashwani Kumar will lead the public sector bank for period of three years from June 1.
- Kumar, a Chartered Accountant, has served in various offices of five public sector banks – Bank of Baroda, Corporation Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Punjab National Bank and Indian Bank.
- His work experience includes working as the Head of the Wholesale Banking Division and several branches (including industrial finance branches).
About United Commercial Bank (UCO) Bank
- Founded – 1943
- Headquarters – Kolkata
- MD & CEO – Ashwani Kumar
- Tagline – Honours your Trust
- UCO Bank, Syndicate Bank, Indian Overseas Bank merged with Canara Bank
Recent Appointment in Banking & Insurance Sector
- MD & CEO of Karnataka Bank – Srikrishnan Hari Hara Sarma
- Part-time chairman of Paytm – Vijay Shekhar (reappointment)
- Deputy MD of IDBI Bank – Jayakumar S. Pillai
- President and COO of Paytm – Bhavesh Gupta
- MD & CEO of Bank of Baroda (BoB) – Debadatta Chand
- MD & CEO of Bank of India (BoI) – Rajneesh K
Rajesh Kumar Anand VSM takes over as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration (AOA)
- Air Marshal Rajesh Kumar Anand took over as the Air Officer-in-Charge Administration (AOA).
- An alumnus of the National Defense Academy, the Air Marshal was commissioned as Air Marshal in the administrative branch of the Indian Air Force.
- In a career spanning over 36 years, the Air Marshal has held various field and staff appointments.
- Prior to his present appointment, he was the Director General (Administration) at Air Headquarters, New Delhi.
- For his distinguished service, he was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal by the President of India in January 2022.
Recent Appointment in Defence Sector
- Vice Chief of the Air Staff – Ashutosh Dixit
- Director Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) – Praveen Sood (replace Subodh Jaiswal)
- Military Advisor to National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) – Sandeep Singh
- Director General Naval Operations (DGNO) – Vice Admiral Atul Anand
- Vice Chief of Naval Staff – Vice Admiral Sanjay Jasjit Singh
P Upadhyay INAS takes over as Director General of Naval Armament
- P Upadhyay, INAS has taken over as Director General of Naval Armament (DGONA) from KSC Iyer.
- Upadhyay is an officer of the 1987 batch of the Indian Naval Armament Service.
- He joined the Naval Armament Organization of the Indian Navy on 12 July 1989.
- An Electrical Engineering Graduate from SGSITS Indore, he earned his Post Graduate degree from Devi Ahilya University in Electrical Engineering with a specialization in ‘Digital Techniques and Instrumentation’ in 1988.
- In a span of 34 years, he has held various important assignments at NAD (Visakhapatnam), NAD (Karanja), NAD (Trombay), NAD (Alwaye) and IHQ, MoD(N).
Bidyut Bihari Swain sworn in as UPSC member
- Former Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) secretary Bidyut Bihari Swain was sworn in as a member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- Swain, a 1988 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of the Gujarat cadre, was administered the oath of office and secrecy by UPSC chairman Manoj Soni.
- He served in various capacities within the Gujarat government from 1989 to 2018, holding significant positions such as CEO of the Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board, Secretary of Primary Education, Industries Commissioner, Vice Chairman, and Managing Director of the Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation, and Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat State.
- In 2018, he joined the Government of India as Additional Secretary in the Department of Commerce, overseeing Special Economic Zones and trade negotiations with CIS countries.
- He also served in positions such as Chairman of the Kimberley Protocol and Commissioner General of India for the World Expo-Dubai.
- From January 2021 to May 2023, he served as the Secretary in the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Establishment – 1 October 1926
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Chairman – Manoj Soni
- UPSC is the central recruitment agency in India for Group ‘A’ officer posts under the Government of India.
- It is established as a constitutional body under Article 315 of the Indian Constitution.
- Shalini becomes 1st girl NCC cadet to complete mountaineering course – Shalini Singh
- MD of Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI) – Ajay Yadav
- CEO for Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) – K. Krithivasan
- Central Vigilance Commissioner – Praveen Kumar Srivastava
- Sworn in as member of UPSC – Suman Sharma
South Korea launches first commercial-grade satellite
- South Korea has launched its first commercial-grade satellite.
- The commercial-grade satellite was launched by the Naro Space Center in Gohang, South Korea, using a Launch Nuri rocket.
- The main satellite objectives include verifying imaging radar technology and observing cosmic radiation in near-Earth orbit.
- The main satellite, called “Next Generation Small Satellite 2”, was accompanied by seven cube-shaped satellites.
- South Korea also plans to launch three more Nuri rockets by 2027.
About South Korea
- Capital – Seoul
- Currency – South Korean Won
- Prime Minister – Han Duck-soo
- President – Yoon Seok-youl
India wins Junior Asia Cup 2023 hockey title
- The Indian Junior Men’s Hockey Team won the Men’s Junior Asia Cup 2023 by defeating Pakistan 2-1 in Salalah, Oman.
- India had won the tournament three times previously, in 2004, 2008, and 2015. While Pakistan has won the tournament three times: in 1987, 1992, and 1996.
- Recognizing the team’s efforts and unbeaten record in the prestigious tournament that saw the country qualify for the FIH Men’s Junior World Cup in Malaysia, the Hockey India Executive Board announced a cash award of Rs 2 lakh for each player and Rs 1 lakh for each support staff member.
Book and Author
Shashi Tharoor releases Vijay Darda’s book “Ringside”
- Renowned author and Congress MP Shashi Tharoor has released the book “Ringside” written by Lokmat Media Group Editorial Board Chairman and former MP Dr. Vijay Darda.
- The book is a captivating compilation of Darda’s weekly articles, which were published in the Lokmat Media Group newspapers and other prominent national and regional dailies of the country between 2011 and 2016.
- As a follow-up to his earlier book “Straight Thoughts”, which encompassed articles from 2004 to 2011, this latest work delves into a diverse range of subjects beyond political developments and happenings.
- “RINGSIDE” will take readers on an intellectual journey encompassing science, environment, economy, security, social developments, sports, arts, culture, foreign policy, and national and international affairs.
- This book is a reflection of contemporary political, social, cultural and other significant happenings and developments.
- The Golden Years: The Many Joys of Living a Good Long Life – Ruskin Bond
- The Indian Metropolis: Deconstructing India’s Urban Spaces – Varun Gandhi
- Made in India: 75 Years of Business and Enterprise – Amitabh Kant (CEO of NITI Aayog)
- My Life as a Comrade –K. Shailaja
- Collective Spirit, Concrete Action – Shashi Shekhar Vempati
- Smoke and Ashes – Amitav Ghos
2 June – International Sex Workers’ Day
- International Sex Workers’ Day is observed every year on 2 June.
- This day is dedicated to all sex workers, and it aims to raise awareness of the exploited working conditions of sex workers globally.
- According to the latest data, there are around 3 million sex workers in India between the age group 15-35 because of the emphasis on physical appearance and endurance capacity to entertain multiple customers.
- Globally, the number of sex workers is 40-42 million, of which 80 percent are females and range in age between 13-25.
- The movement started in 1975 on June 2 when nearly 100 sex workers occupied the Saint-Nizier Church in Lyon.
- The women occupied the church for eight days, demanding an end to police discrimination against sex work and asking for decent working conditions.
- The protest by the women was sparked by sex workers facing increasing violence. The movement brought the plight of sex workers to national attention.
2 June – Telangana Formation Day
- Telangana Formation Day is celebrated on June 2 every year, marking the day when the state of Telangana was formed in 2014.
- The Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act 2014 bill was passed in the Parliament in February 2014 for the formation of the Telangana state.
- The bill was then passed by the President of India on March 1, 2014, and the state of Telangana was finally formed on June 2.
- The creation of Telangana was a complex and lengthy process. The demand for a separate Telangana state emerged in the early 1960s, eventually leading to the passing of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act in 2009. This act paved the way for the formation of Telangana.
- Since its establishment, Telangana has experienced positive developments, including increased investment and growth. The state has also witnessed improvements in poverty reduction and employment opportunities.
Recommended PDF’s for 2023:
- Computer Capsule 2023 : Download PDF
- Banking Awareness (Theory+MCQs) Complete PDF : Download Now
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS , RBI, SBI, LIC AAO , LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
2023 Preparation Kit PDF
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Static GK/Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Banking Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|Computer Awareness Capsule 2.O||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise PDF 2020||Get PDF here|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2.O E-book||Get PDF here|