Daily Current Affairs 9th February 2023 Daily GK Update
Daily current affairs are extremely important for competitive exams because they help candidates stay updated on the latest events and developments in the world. This knowledge is essential for answering questions in the general awareness or current affairs section of the exam, which is often included in many competitive exams such as UPSC, SSC, Bank Exams, etc. Additionally, having a good understanding of current affairs can also help candidates in other sections of the exam, such as reasoning, English, and quantitative aptitude. In short, staying updated on current affairs is crucial for performing well in competitive exams and increasing the chances of success.
Visva-Bharati to be world’s first Living Heritage University
- Visva-Bharati University, West Bengal is set to become the world’s first “Living Heritage University”.
- The university is expected to receive the heritage tag from UNESCO in April or May 2023.
- Visva-Bharati University was founded by Rabindranath Tagore in 1921. It is one of India’s major Central Government funded autonomous universities.
- The institution was given the status of a Central University in 1951 through a central Act.
- The Vice-chancellor of the University is appointed by the President of India.
About United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Formation – 16 November 1945
- Headquarters – Paris, France
- Director General – Audrey Azoulay (France)
- Member countries – 193
Agriculture Ministry signed MoU with Digital Green to develop national-level digital extension platform
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has signed an MoU with Digital Green under a public-private partnership framework to build a national-level digital extension platform.
- The platform will host a digital library of curated multi-format multi-lingual content, helping extension workers access.
- It also upskills the vast network of extension workers for agriculture, horticulture, fisheries, and rural livelihood missions.
- There are over two lakh extension workers in the country in agriculture, livelihood and allied sectors.
- The Ayush Ministry signed MoU with ITDC to work together for the promotion of medical value travel in Ayurveda and other traditional systems of medicine.
- Adani Enterprises signed agreement with Ashok Leyland to develop Asia’s first hydrogen-mining truck
- NTPC signed with Italy-based Maire Technimont Pvt Ltd for green methanol production
- NTPC Limited signed MoU with GE Power India Limited to reduce carbon intensity
- NTPC signed an MoU with GE Gas Power for hydrogen co-firing in gas turbines
India ranks first with 24 percent contribution to global milk production
- According to production data from the Food and Agriculture Organization Corporate Statistics Database (FAOSTAT), India is the world’s largest milk producer, contributing 24 percent to global milk production in the year 2021-22
- India’s milk production has registered a growth of 51 percent during the last eight years – 2014-15 and 2021-22 and has increased to 220 million tonnes in the year 2021-22.
- The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying runs various schemes to benefit the economically weaker farmers in the dairy sector.
- Further, the National Programme for Dairy Development aims at enhancing the quality of milk, milk products and increasing the share of organized procurement, processing, value addition and marketing
Karnataka CM launched 108 Namma Clinics in Bengaluru
- Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai has launched 108 Namma Clinics within the municipal limits of the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP).
- Objective – To integrate promotive, preventive and curative healthcare services under one roof and provide quality primary care to people in their neighbourhood.
- Along with the treatments for common ailments like cough and fever, there will also be examination and testing of blood pressure and diabetes at the clinics. Even the medicines will be provided free of cost.
- Around 438 clinics are being set up in the urban areas across the state
- Capital – Bengaluru
- Chief Minister –Basavaraj Bommai
- Governor – Thawar Chand Gehlot
World’s first ‘Super’ magnets for testing in nuclear plant developed
- World’s first ‘Super’ magnets for testing in nuclear fusion plant developed by UK’s Tokamak Energy.
- Tokamak Energy announced that the Demo4 magnet has a magnetic field strength that is nearly a million times stronger than the Earth’s magnetic field, making it capable of confining and controlling the extremely hot plasma created during the nuclear fusion process.
- Nuclear fusion has been hailed as the “holy grail” of clean energy, with scientists working on the technology since the 1950s.
- Tokamak Energy is aiming to be the first private company to produce commercial fusion energy, with the goal of demonstrating grid-ready fusion in the early 2030s.
About United Kingdom (UK)
- Capital – London
- Currency – Pound sterling
- Prime Minister – Rishi Sunak
Banking and Financial
Airtel Payments Bank launched BizKhata for Small Businesses & Merchant
- Airtel Payments Bank has launched its current account “BizKhata” which offers unlimited transactions and instant activation for account holders across the country.
- Airtel Payments Bank’s BizKhata has been designed specifically for these small merchants and business owners.
- It brings all business transactions to one platform and allows them to maintain clear records while enjoying multiple banking benefits, like Zero Minimum Balance, Secure, hassle-free payments, Auto Sweep Out etc.
Appointment and Resignation
Apsara Iyer becomes first Indian American woman president of Harvard Law Review
- A second-year student at Harvard Law School, Apsara A Iyer has been elected as the President of the prestigious Harvard Law Review.
- 29-year-old Iyer has become the first woman to be named to the post in the prestigious publication’s 136-year-long history.
- Iyer will replace Priscilla Coronado.
- Iyer was elected the 137th president of the Harvard Law Review, which was founded in 1887 and is one of the oldest student-run legal scholarship publications.
- First LGBTQ woman of colour city council in the US state of California – Janani Ramachandran
- First minister of the new Ministry of Indigenous People in Brazil – Sonia Guajajara
- First woman president of Indian Olympic Association – PT Usha
- First woman officer to be posted at BRO – Captain Surbhi Jakhmola
- First woman chief secretary of Telangana – Santhi Kumari
- First female Sikh judge in US – Manpreet Monica Singh
K Satyanarayana Raju appointed as MD and CEO of Canara Bank
- K Satyanarayana Raju has been appointed as the new Managing Director and CEO of Canara bank.
- He has replaced L V Prabhakar, who resigned on 31 December 2022.
- He has 33 years of experience in all banking segments, like branch banking, corporate credit, etc.
- He joined the erstwhile Vijaya Bank in 1988 and has risen to the level of chief general manager in the Bank of Baroda
- He also served as the executive director of Canara bank.
About Canara Bank
- Founded – 1906
- Headquarters- Bengaluru, Karnataka
- MD & CEO – K Satyanarayana Raju
- Tagline – Together with Can
Recent Appointment in Banking Sector
- As member of Advisory Committee of SIFL, SEFL by RBI – V Ramachandra
- CEO of JP Morgan Chase & Co (India) – Prabdev Singh
- RBI Deputy Governor – Michael Patra (reappointment)
- MD & CEO of Paytm Payments Bank Limited (PPBL) – Surinder Chawla
- Interim CEO of BharatPe – Nalin Negi
Rakhi Kapoor awarded Golden Book Awards 2023 for ‘NowYou Breathe’
- Author Rakhi Kapoor has been awarded the Golden Book Awards 2023 for her book ‘Now You Breathe – Overcoming Toxic Relationships and Abuse in the category Powerful Relationship Guide’.
- The Golden Book Awards is one of Asia’s prestigious award programs which celebrates the best works on literature.
- Now You Breathe is author Rakhi Kapoor’s twenty-fifth book.
- Rakhi was awarded the author of the year at the National Achievers Award in December 2022 at the Constitution Club of India.
- She has also won the prestigious Writeinfluence award and Author of the year nonfiction in the Ukiyoto Literary Awards.
- Mathrubhumi Book of The Year’ award 2023 – Peggy Mohan
- Lifetime Achievement Honour in UK – Former Indian PM Manmohan Singh
- FIH President’s Award 2023 – V Karthikeyan Pandian (Odisha)
- First Asian to bag Oscar nomination for Best Actress – Michelle Yeoh (Film – Everything Everywhere All at Once)
- Subhash Chandra Bose Disaster Management Award 2023 – Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) & Lunglei Fire Station (LFS)
- Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr. Prabha Atre
VP Nandakumar, Manappuram Finance gets Hurun India award 2023
- MD & CEO of Manappuram Finance Ltd, VP Nandakumar has bagged the Hurun India’s award for his remarkable achievements in the world of business.
- He received The Hurun Industry Achievement Award 2022 from top Hurun India officials at a function held in Mumbai.
- While V.K. Mathews, founder, and executive chairman, of IBS Software, has been conferred the Hurun Industry Achievement Award 2022.
- K. Mathews was nominated on the basis of the research made by the Hurun global team.
- Gaja Capital Business Book Prize 2022 – Harish Damodaran
- Most distinguished scientist of the year 2022 – R Vishnu Prassad
- Golden Kailasha award at 8th Ajanta-Ellora FF – Naanera (Rajasthani film)
- Federal Bank Literary Award 2023 – Writer K Venu for Oranweshananthinte Katha’.
- 71st annual Miss Universe pageant – R’Bonney Gabriel (USA)
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award – Thiru Kumar Nadesan
Women’s Premier League to be held in Mumbai
- The inaugural season of the Women’s Premier League (WPL) 2023 will be held in Mumbai (Maharashtra) from 4 to 26 March 2023 in Mumbai.
- The Brabourne Stadium and the DY Patil Stadium will host all the matches with the tournament opener expected to be played between Gujarat Giants and Mumbai Indians-owned franchise.
- The auction of WPL players will take place on February 13 in Mumbai.
- With the five teams fetching Rs 4669.99 crore and the BCCI selling the media rights for Rs 951 crore, the WPL is the second biggest T20 League in the world behind the Indian Premier League.
- Apart from three IPL team owners — Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Delhi Capitals — Capri Global Holdings (Lucknow) and the Adani Sportsline have bought the five franchises.
- Around 1500 players have registered for the league.
- IPL chairman: Arun Dhumal
Aditi Ashok won Kenya Ladies Open title 2023
- Indian golf player, Aditi Ashok has clinched her fourth Ladies European Tour (LET) title at the Kenya Ladies Open 2023 golf tournament held at Vipingo Ridge, Kenya.
- Aditi last won a Ladies European Tour golf tournament in 2017.
- She carded a 12-under to win ahead of Alice Hewson (England) and April Angurasaranee (Thailand), who finished with identical final scores of 3-under.
- Meanwhile, India’s Avani Prashanth finished tied-ninth and Amandeep Drall came tied-52nd.
Kamran Akmal announced retirement from all forms of cricket
- Pakistan wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal has announced his retirement from all forms of professional cricket.
- He is currently serving as a batting consultant for Peshawar Zalmi.
- He made his Test match debut against Zimbabwe in November 2002 and he also made his ODI debut against Zimbabwe in November 2002.
- He featured in 53 Tests, 157 ODIs, and 58 T20 Internationals for Pakistan.
Recently Retired Players
- Aaron Finch – International Cricket – Australia
- Raphael Varane – International football – France
- Joginder Sharma – All forms of cricket – India
- Murali Vijay – All forms of international cricket – India
- Hashim Amla – – International Cricket – South Africa
- Hugo Lloris – International football – France
- Gareth Bale – International football – Wales
- Sania Mirza – International Tennis – India
- Farhaan Behardien – International Cricket – South African
- Karim Benzema – International football – France
Popular artist B.K.S. Verma passed away
- Veteran Indian painter, BKS Varma passed away at the age of 74.
- The subject of his paintings was mainly environmental and social issues presented in a surreal form.
- He was honoured with the Karnataka Rajya Puruskar (2001), Rajyothsava award (2001), and Honorary Doctorate by Bangalore University (2011).
- Verma was trained in art by the legendary art teacher A.N. Subbarao at the art and culture institution.
Click to Buy Bank MahaCombo Package
Download Online Mock Test Mobile APP
Recommended PDF’s for 2023:
- Computer Capsule 2023 : Download PDF
- Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise Online Test Series 2023
- Banking Awareness (Theory+MCQs) Complete PDF : Download Now
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS , RBI, SBI, LIC AAO , LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
2023 Preparation Kit PDF
Most important PDF’s for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Exam : Download PDF Now
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Static GK/Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Banking Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|Computer Awareness Capsule 2.O||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise PDF 2020||Get PDF here|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2.O E-book||Get PDF here|