Daily GK Update: 21 May 2020, Daily Current Affairs 2020:
Here we are regularly update the Daily GK Update & Current affairs 2020. If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Current Affairs 2020, Daily GK Update 2020. All the important updates based on current affairs 2020 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2020 article. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2020 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways , SBI Clerk 2020 and State Exam of 2020.
National (Current Affairs)
♦J&K starts an initiative SUKOON’ – COVID-19 Beat the Stress
- Department of Information and Public Relations, J&K has started an initiative ‘SUKOON’ – COVID-19 Beat the Stress”.
- Aim: The aim is to ensure that people stay mentally fit and cope with the fears related to COVID-19 with a sound mind. This initiative is in line with the growing concern that COVID-19 pandemic and the prolonged lockdown has resulted in tremendous stress among various sections of the society.
Note: About J& K
- Capitals: Jammu (Winter), Srinagar (Summer)
- Lieutenant Governor: Girish Chandra Murmu
♦Mee Annapurna programe launched for farmers in Maharashtra
- Mee Annapurna, an inclusive programe has been launched for the welfare of farmers and Bhoomiputras in Maharashtra. The initiative was announced by Integrated Risk Insurance, an IRDA Licensed insurance intermediary.
- Mee Annapurna will integrate three critical aspects of livelihood and comprehensive engagement. Elaborating on the scheme, Dr JH Rusat from Integrated Risk Insurance stated that the ‘Mee Annapurna’ programme involves three commandments – Expertise, Engagement and Entitlement.
- Aim: Through the programme, Integrated Risk Insurance aims to re-invest a substantial amount of their income in building long-term sustainable program for continuity of income for the farmers and other individuals associated with agriculture and allied activities.
Note: About Maharashtra
- Capital: Mumbai
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- CM: Uddhav Thackeray
♦Yogi Adityanath Launches ‘UP Startup Fund’, Hands Over First Tranche Of Rs 15 Cr To SIDBI
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on 20th May launched the “Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund” to revive the State’s economy amid COVID-19 pandemic and handed over the first installment of Rs 15 crore to Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
- Aim: He providing employment to migrant workers and labourers would not only solve their problems but the entire country will get the benefit of their skills through Uttar Pradesh. Under the new start-up policy, the government would motivate more youth to begin start-ups.
Note: About UP
- Capital: Lucknow
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Chief minister: Yogi Adityanath
♦Govt extends ‘Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana’ by 3 yrs till Mar 2023
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday extended the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY), a social security scheme for senior citizens, for three years till March, 2023.
- PMVVY scheme, implemented through the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC), is intended to give an assured minimum pension to senior citizens (60 years and above) based on an assured return on the purchase price/subscription amount. The assured rate of return for fiscal 2020-21 has been pegged at 7.4 per cent per annum and thereafter to be reset every year, an official release said after the Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, decided to extend the scheme for a further period of three years up to March 31, 2023.
♦Sonia launches “Nyay scheme” for farmers in Chhattisgarh
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi launched the Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay scheme in Chhattisgarh through video conferencing on 21st May and said this was a true tribute to the former prime minister.
- Benefit: The aim of the scheme is to help farmers earn more and bring more area in the state under cultivation, which currently stands at 20 per cent.
Note: About Chhattisgarh
- Capital: Raipur
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey
- Chief minister: Bhupesh Baghel
♦MP Govt launch Didi Vehicle Service for rural women
- In the tribal-dominated Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh, the women of Rural Livelihood Mission have started Didi Vehicle Service for rural women for the safe delivery. This vehicle service is completely free.
- The women of Rural Livelihood Mission have started this service for 29 villages of 10 Gram Panchayats of Petlavad development block of Jhabua.
Note: About MP
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor: Lalji Tandon
International (Current Affairs)
♦Moeketsi Majoro sworn in as Lesotho’s new prime minister
- Moeketsi Majoro has been sworn in as Lesotho’s prime minister following the resignation of his embattled predecessor, Thomas Thabane.
- Thomas Thabane’s decision to step down on Tuesday came amid mounting pressure over a case in which he and his current wife are suspected of involvement in the 2017 murder of his estranged wife.
Note: About Lesotho
- Capital: Maseru
- Currency: Lesotho loti
♦US Senate passes law to ban Chinese companies listing on exchanges
- The US Senate has passed a legislation that could ban Chinese companies from listing shares on American exchanges. The legislation may also ban Chinese companies (Approx 800 companies) from raising funds from American investors.
- The bill, moved by Louisiana Republican Senator John Kennedy, on Wednesday would require companies to certify that “they are not owned or controlled by a foreign government”.
Banking and Financial
♦Kotak Mahindra Bank becomes first Indian lender to allow video KYC
- Kotak Mahindra Bank on 18th May has introduced video-KYC facility for customers opening savings account on Kotak 811 – the banks digital banking platform. The private lender is the first Indian bank to offer video based “zero-contact” onboarding service.
- The initiative is presently being launched on a pilot basis for savings accounts, Kotak Mahindra said in a press release. “The video KYC process to onboard new customers will be extended to other products in a phased manner.
♦Flipkart ties up with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance for digital motor cover
- Flipkart and Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company have partnered to offer a digital motor insurance policy to customers of the e-commerce major.
- “Consumers can buy this motor-insurance policy using their Flipkart app. Bajaj Allianz General Insurance also offers mobile insurance on Flipkart.
♦Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed NABARD chairman
- Govinda Rajulu Chintala has been appointed the chairman of the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD). Govinda Rajulu Chintala, at present, is working as the chief general manager (CGM) of the bank. He will hold the post till his superannuation on July 31, 2022.
- Shaji KV and P V S Suryakumar have been appointed deputy managing directors in the NABARD. Shaji is general manager of Canara Bank.
- Suryakumar, at present CGM in the NABARD, will hold the post till his superannuation on July 31, 2023.
Note: About NABARD
- Founded: 12 July 1982
- Headquarters: Mumbai
♦Mr Dilip Oommen is new president of Indian Steel Association
- Indian Steel Association announced that Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel India Mr. Dilip Oommen has taken over as President of the Indian Steel Association.
- He was unanimously appointed as President for the next two years. This was decided in the Extra Ordinary Board Meeting of ISA, which was on May 19, 2020.
♦World Bank names Carmen Reinhart as chief economist and vice president
- The World Bank on 20th May named former Bear Stearns executive Carmen Reinhart as its new vice president and chief economist, tapping an expert on financial crises who also serves on the advisory board of the New York Federal Reserve.
- Reinhart has a Ph.D. from Columbia University and currently teaches international economics at the Harvard Kennedy School. She has also worked at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, International Monetary Fund and the University of Maryland.
♦NADA Suspends Powerlifters Savita Kumari and Ankit Shishodia for violating anti-doping rules
- The National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) has provisionally suspended two powerlifters — Savita Kumari and Ankit Shishodia for violating anti-doping rules.
- Athletes were given an opportunity to present themselves before the Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel (ADDP) and explain their cases on the date and time fixed by the panel for a hearing. However, due to COVID 19, followed by lockdown in the country no sitting of the panel could take place in April.
- As per the Anti-Doping Rules of NADA, an appeal can be filed by the athlete and other parties against the order of the ADDP.
Recently Ban player
- Discus thrower Sandeep Kumari banned for four years
- Umar Akmal banned for three years from all forms of cricket for corruption charges
- Middle distance runner Jhuma Khatun handed 4-year ban for dope flunk
- ICC bans Deepak Agarwal from all cricket for 2 years
♦20th May: World Metrology Day
- World Metrology Day is celebrated annually on May 20. The day is the celebration of the signature of the Metre Convention on May 20, 1875, by representatives of seventeen nations.
- Many are aware that the Convention sets the framework for global collaboration in the field of science and especially in measurement and its industrial, commercial and societal
- Theme 2020: Measurements for global trade
Revision List of important Day (May)
- May 1: Workers’ Day (International Labour Day) & Maharashtra Day, Gujarat Day
- May 3: World Press Freedom Day
- May 4: Coal Miners’ Day & International Firefighters Day
- May 7: World Athletics Day
- May 8: World Red Cross Day & World Thalassaemia Day
- May 11: National Technology Day
- May 12: International Nurses Day
- May 15: International Day of the Family
- May 17: World Telecommunication Day & World Hypertension Day
- May 18: World AIDS Vaccine Day & International Museum Day
♦21st May: National Anti Terrorism Day 2020
- National Anti Terrorism Day 2020 will be celebrated on May 21 which also marks the death anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi. He served the nation as the prime minister from the year 1984 to 1989.Rajiv Gandhi was campaigning for the Congress as the party leader for the national elections when he was assassinated in Sriperumbudur region of Tamil Nadu, in May 1991.
- Anti-Terrorism Day is observed annually to spread the message of peace and humanity and to promote unity among people.
♦21st May: International Tea Day 2020
- The world will join hands to celebrate its first Tea Day on May 21, 2020. The day is observed primarily with a view to increasing consumption of tea.
- Not only has the UN recognised the medicinal property of tea, but it has also considered the beverage as an important ingredient of its Sustainable Development Goal programme. It hoped tea will play a pivotal role in eradicating hunger and poverty across the world.
♦21st May: World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
- World Day for Cultural Diversity, for Dialogue and Development provides an opportunity to deepen our understanding of the values of cultural diversity and to learn to “live together” better.
- One way to celebrate is through the campaign ‘Do One Thing For Diversity and Inclusion’, which encourages people and organizations from around the world to take concrete action to support diversity.
Online Mock Test Available on App as well as Web:
How to Access on App:-
- Go to Playstore search Ambitious Baba or Click here to Install App
- After Install Login with Google Account or Facebook Account
2020 Preparation Kit PDF
|I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION (DI) 2020 E-book||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK||Get PDF here|