Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 9th April 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for IBPS, SBI, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
National Current Affairs
♦ NIRF ranking 2019: IIT-Kharagpur retains top position, list of top Architecture colleges
- After the introduction of ‘Architecture category’ last year, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur retained the top position for the second successive year in National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF 2019). IIT-K has been ranked as the best architecture institute, followed by IIT-Roorkee and National Institute of Technology, Calicut.
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind announced the NIRF ranking on Monday, April 8. This year, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-Madras) topped the ranking in the overall category.
- The ranking framework releases several lists including one overall list of top Indian higher education institutes (HEIs) and several subcategories based on stream and nature of institute. The NIRF rankings will be released for a total of 9 categories – Overall, Universities, Engineering, Colleges, Management, Pharmacy, Medical, Architecture.
Banking and Finance
♦ IMF scales down India’s growth projection for current fiscal to 7.3%
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has moderately scaled down India’s economic growth projection to 7.3 per cent for the current financial year from its earlier forecast of 7.4 per cent, while suggesting that the country should continue to undertake economic reforms, including a hire and fire policy to generate jobs. The new growth projection is a bit more optimistic than the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI), but moderately pessimistic than that of the World Bank.
- In its World Economic Outlook (WEO), a flagship publication brought out during the annual spring meetings of IMF and World Bank in Washington, the Fund also revised down its prediction for the country’s economic growth to 7.5 per cent from an earlier 7.7 per cent for the next financial year.
♦ Direct tax collection may fall short of Rs 50,000 cr in FY’19: Official
- The government has fallen short of Rs 50,000 crore in its direct tax collection target of Rs 12 lakh crore for 2018-19, said a senior finance ministry official Tuesday.
- The shortfall in direct tax mop-up coupled with lower Goods and Services Tax (GST) realisation may have implications on fiscal deficit, which the government has pegged at 3.4 per cent of the GDP.
- “Direct tax collection for 2018-19 is around Rs 11.5 lakh crore,” the official said.
- The government had revised the direct tax collection target upwards to Rs 12 lakh crore from the original Budget Estimate of Rs 11.5 lakh crore for 2018-19. It was expecting higher collections from corporate taxes. The revision was made during the interim Budget for 2019-20 in February.
- The target for GST collection was revised downwards to Rs 6.44 lakh crore from the Budget Estimate of Rs 7.44 lakh crore.
♦ Tata Steel wins ‘Global Slag Company of the Year’ award
- Tata Steel has been named as the ‘Global Slag Company of the Year’ at the 14th Global Slag Conference and Exhibition 2019. The conference held recently in Aachen, Germany is one of the largest global annual slag event, attended by major steelmakers, steel mill service providers & associated companies.
- The award has been presented to Tata Steel for its innovative practices in development of new applications for Steel by-products (Slag). The award demonstrates global recognition of Tata Steel’s commitment towards sustainability & circular economy principles.
- Speaking on the award, Mr. Sanjiv Paul, VP (Safety, Health & Sustainability), Tata Steel said, “As apioneering steel producer, Tata Steel has been built on long enduring principles of sustainability and innovation. Handling industrial waste responsibly is a key part of our process and material innovation.This recognition reaffirms our commitment to sustainable business practices and to build on the principles of circular economy.”
♦ Presidential Award of Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman 2019
- A Scholar of Pali, Dr. Gyanaditya Shakya, has been honoured with the Presidential Award of Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman 2019 with prize money of INR 1,00,000 and a certificate. He accepts award from Vice- President of India M Venkaiah Naidu.
- Dr. Shakya was conferred the award for his outstanding contribution in the field of Pali language and literature. He was selected for the award by the department of Higher education,Ministry of Human Resource Development,Government of India for his five books namely Bauddha Dharma Darshan Mein Brahmavihara Bhavana, Anagatavasa, Chakesadhatuvasa, Panca+gatidipani and Gandhavasa.
- He was awarded with Vividh (Shraman) Puruskar by Governor of Uttar Pradesh Shri Ram naik and Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Shri Yogi Adityanath.
- Presidential Award of Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman was introduced in the year 2002, is given to selected young scholars in the age group of 30 to 45 years. The Presidential award carries a certificate of honour, a memento and a one time cash prize of Rs.1 lakh.
♦ Graham Reid named chief coach of India’s men’s hockey team
- Hockey India, on Monday, confirmed the appointment of Graham Reid as chief coach of the India men’s hockey team.
- The 54-year-old Reid is likely to join the team midway through the national camp in Bengaluru that commenced on Monday.
- While Reid’s name had been doing the rounds for a while now, his appointment was all but confirmed when HI and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) forwarded it for final clearance to the Sports Ministry late last month.
♦ International Convention on World Homoeopathy Day
- A two day convention is being organised on 9-10th April 2019 by the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy (CCRH), an autonomous research organisation, Ministry of AYUSH on the occasion of the World Homoeopathy Day at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi.
- The World Homoeopathy Day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy, Dr. Christian Fredrich Samuel Hahnemann.
- The Convention will be graced by Shri. Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary of AYUSH, Sh. Roshan Jaggi , Joint Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH, Sh. Nilanjal Sanyal, Chairman, Board of Governors, Central Council of Homoeopathy and Sh. Tridandi Chinna Ramanuja Jeeyar Swamiji. Tributes will be paid by Dr. Gary Smyth, President, Faculty of Homeopathy, UK and Dr. Alok Pareek, President, LMHI (International).
- With an aim to recognise exemplary work in Homoeopathy, AYUSH awards relating to Homoeopathy for Life Time Achievement, Best Teacher, Young Scientist and Best Research paper will be conferred on this occasion.
♦ K.M. Mani, longest serving legislator in Kerala’s history, passes away at 86
- Kerala Congress (M) chairman K. M. Mani, the longest serving legislator in the State’s history, is no more. The 86-year-old passed away on Tuesday at a private hospital.
- Mr. Mani was admitted to the hospital on Friday with respiratory disease and was being treated for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The hospital authorities said that his condition had improved in the morning from the day before, but by afternoon it had worsened. He was admitted to the hospital on earlier occasions too with COPD but was discharged.
- Fondly called ‘Mani Saar’ by the masses and the State’s political class alike, the lean, heavy-browed politician had represented the Pala assembly constituency for 52 years on a trot ever since its formation in 1965. Till now, he won all the 13 elections from the constituency and also held the state’s finance portfolio for the longest period and presented 13 budgets.
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|