Table of Contents
Indian navy tested heavy weight torpedo ‘Varunastra’
Indian Navy has won the indigenously designed and developed heavy weight torpedo (HWT) Varunastra. The heavy weight torpedo has been successfully test-fired with a live warhead against an undersea target.
As per the defence ministry’s sources induction of Varunastra has commenced after extensive trials. India has made a plan for Varunastra to be the mainstay of anti-submarine torpedo for all naval warships. This new arrival will replace the older torpedoes on all naval ships that can fire HWT.
What is torpedo?
- It is an underwater ranged weapon which can be launched above or below the water surface, self-propelled towards a target.
- It can carry an explosive warhead which is built to detonate either on contact with or in proximity to the target.
Indian navy torpedoes:
- Takshak- Heavy weight torpedo
- Advanced Light torpedo Shyena
- Varunastra- Heavy weight torpedo
- Varunastra is a ship-launched anti-submarine torpedo which having low drift navigational systems. Not only that it having acoustic homing, advanced acoustic counter measure features, autonomous guidance algorithms, insensitive munitions warhead and a GPS-based recovery aid for practice torpedo.
- According to the Defence Ministry, the Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL) and the Indian Navy had jointly carried a total of 130 technical trials to evaluate the weapon in all aspects of its capabilities.
- Varunastra is designed and developed by Vizag-based Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL) under the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Varunastra is built by Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL).
- The acceptance of Varunastra was happened by Ministry of Defence for induction into Services in 2015.
Features of Varunastra:
- According to BDL, the torpedo has a maximum speed of 40 knots and a maximum operating depth of 600 m.
- The torpedo has a long range with multi-maneuvering capabilities and is capable of acoustic homing with a wide look angle capable of tracking silent targets.
- It owns autonomous advanced guidance algorithms and has float navigational systems over long endurance.
Question & Answer:
Q1. What is the name of heavy weight torpedo that has been tested successfully by Indian Navy recently?
Q2. Which entity has designed and developed heavy weight torpedo Varunastra?
Ans. Naval Science and Technological Laboratory
Q3. Which defence equipment manufacturing company has manufactured heavy weight torpedo Varunastra?
Ans. Bharat Dynamics Limited