National Youth Day 2022: Know about Swami Vivekananda
National Youth Day or Yuva Diwas is celebrated across the country on Swami Vivekananda‘s birth anniversary on January 12 every year.
Why is National Youth Day celebrated on Swami Vivekananda Birth Anniversary?
- National Youth Day is observed to honor Swami Vivekananda’s many contributions to the country.
- The government of India, in the year 1984, declared his birthday as National Youth Day.
- The main objective of National Youth Day is to promote rational thinking among the youth. Youth is expected to rise to the values, principles, and beliefs that Vivekananda lived by.
- The theme of 2022 is ‘ “It’s all in the mind,”
About Swami Vivekananda
- Born: January 12, 1863
- He was born as Narendranath Datta.
- Introduced the world to the Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga.
- He was a major force in the revival of Hinduism.
- He was a chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic Ramakrishna Paramhansa.
- Laid the greatest emphasis on education for the regeneration of our motherland.
- He advocated a man-making character-building education.
- Established the Ramakrishna Mission in 1897.
- Died: 4 July 1902 at Belur Math.
Some famous slogans of Swami Vivekananda
“Arise! Awake! and stop not until the goal is reached.”
“The greatest religion is to be true to your own nature. Have faith in yourselves.”
“We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far”