Sri Lanka declared emergency in country
A state of emergency has been declared in Sri Lanka after President Gotabaya Rajapaksa fled away from the country to escape anti-government protests. Sri Lankan president Gotabaya Rajapaksa run away as thousands of people came to the streets and demanding to down him as president of the country.
Currently, almost 22 million people are scrambling to get daily necessities like petrol, ration, medicines etc as growing inflation sent prices at its highest level. Even power cuts and long queues for fuel have provoked the country since April.
Here is the brief understanding Sri Lanka’s the worst economic, political and humanitarian crisis in over 70 years.
Reasons for economic crisis:
- The corona virus pandemic has wiped out foreign-currency earnings from tourism and global inflation pushed Sri Lanka’s economy over the edge.
- A ban on chemical fertilizers in favor of organic alternatives in 2021 also led to fatal crop failures.
- The country’s financial position continued to drop even after Sri Lanka had taken to international sovereign bonds for their existing debt at commercial interest rates.
Protest in country:
- As Sri Lanka’s sovereign-debt crisis stops its economy, it triggered off months of political turmoil and public protests.
- Much of the anger has been concentrated on President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, whose powerful family has ruled the country’s political landscape for about two decades.
- Anti-government demonstrations invaded the official residences of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
- Both Rajapaksa and Wickremesinghe tried to making way for an all-party government which will be tasked with restoring the economy, negotiating a debt restructure with creditors and progressing talks with the International Monetary Fund for financial relief.
President of Sri Lanka fled away to Maldives:
As Rajapaksa has fled away to Maldives, Wickremesinghe has been appointed to be acting president.
Relief from India:
India has guaranteed all help regarding food and medical aid on requests from Sri Lanka.
As per the Ministry of External Affairs, India has supported to Sri Lanka through providing 3.8 billion US dollar assistance in this financial year.
Question & Answer:
Q1. Which neighbor country of India has recently declared emergency?
Ans. Sri Lanka
Q2. What is the name of president of Sri Lanka who has fled away to Maldives?
Ans. Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Q3. Who has been appointed as acting president of Sri Lanka?
Ans. Ranil Wickremesinghe