Table of Contents
The Hindu Editorial Analysis
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
- Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky’s visit to Washington, his first overseas travel since Russia’s invasion on February 24, and the Biden administration’s decision to sending a new $1.8 billion military aid package, including Patriot missile defense systems and precision-guided missiles, are testament to the deep relationship Ukraine and the U.S. share in the time of war.
- Ukraine has already received American financial and military funding from approved assistance worth around $54 billion.
- The U.S. supply of long-range missiles (HIMARS) has played a major role in Ukraine’s recent battlefield advances in Kharkiv and Kherson, after its heavy losses in Donbas.
- The Patriot missile system is expected to strengthen Ukraine’s air defenses at a time when Russia is bombarding the energy grid and water supplies.
- In Washington, President Joe Biden discussed a 10-point peace formula with Mr. Zelensky (the details are unknown) and also promised continued support “for as long as it takes”.
- Both leaders tried to send out a message of unity amid concerns of cracks in the western alliance as the war is continuing indefinitely with its massive economic costs.
- The U.S. has gradually stepped up its supply of weapons to Ukraine, but is still wary of sending offensive weapons out of fears of escalating the conflict.
- Ukraine has relentlessly campaigned for more advanced weapons, including U.S. aircraft, tanks and long-range tactical missile While Mr. Biden said his administration would continue to Back in Ukraine, he also warned of the risks of sending offensive weapons to Ukraine, which could “break up NATO, the EU and the rest of the world”.
- Currently, Ukraine has a battlefield advantage, recapturing swathes of territories in the northeast and south. But Russia has air superiority.
- The Patriot missiles could offer some protection to Ukraine but could also prompt Russia to carry out heavier attacks.
- This leaves Mr. Biden in a dilemma. He is ready to bolster Ukraine’s defense but does not want to provoke a wider war between Russia and NATO.
- Which incident leaves Mr.Biden in dilemma?
- Why does Ukraine have an advantage over Russia in the battlefield?
- What are the 10 points Joe Biden had discussed?
- Dilemma- situation in which you have to make a difficult choice between two or more things
- Prompt- to cause something to happen
- Testament- something that shows that something exists
- Provoke- to cause a particular feeling or reaction
- Swathes- to wrap or cover somebody