Current Affairs 12th May 2022 Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Haryana launched ‘Chaara-Bijaee Yojana’ for fodder cultivating farmers
- Haryana Agriculture Minister, Jai Parkash Dalal launched the ‘Chaara – Bijaee Yojana’, a scheme launched to provide financial assistance of Rs 10,000 per acre (Upto 10 acres) to farmers cultivating and supplying fodder to Gaushalas (Cowsheds).
- The rationale behind the scheme is to address the State’s fodder shortage and rising stray cattle. The Subsidy will be directly credited to the farmers account under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
- Also, the Phosphate-Rich Organic Manure (PROM) prepared from cow dung can be used as an alternative for synthetic fertilisers. The Prom is also prepared from various gaushalas of Pinjore, Hisar and Bhiwani districts of Haryana.
Recent Haryana Schemes/apps:
- Matrushakti Udyamita Scheme
- Sahbhagita scheme
- Mukhya Mantri Bagwani Bima Yojana
- Vehicle Movement Tracking System (VMTS) mobile app
- ‘e-Adhigam’ scheme
India’s 1st EV charging station powered by food waste inaugurated in Mumbai
- Maharashtra Environment Minister Aaditya Thackeray has inaugurated the nation’s first organic waste-powered EV charging station at Keshavrao Khadye Road near Haji Ali in Mumbai.
- The station will generate 220 units of electricity from food waste collected from its nearby areas, mostly from bulk generators like hotels and offices. This station powers street lights and charge electric vehicles too.
- The project is a joint venture between the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation and AeroCare Clean Energy. This EV Charging Plant is connected with the Waste-Energy Unit at Minatai Thackeray Park.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Chief minister: Uddhav Thackeray
India’s 1st Centre of Excellence for Khadi inaugurated in New Delhi
- Union Minister for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises Narayan Rane will inaugurate the first Centre of Excellence for Khadi in New Delhi.
- The Ministry of MSME has created a Centre for Experimentation, Innovation, and Design for the Khadi Village and Industries Commission (KVIC) with the goal of empowering Khadi Institutions across the country.
- The Center’s mission is to create clothing, home goods, and fashion accessories that appeal to individuals of all ages. The goal of the Khadi Centre of Excellence (CoEK) is to make Khadi a worldwide, classic, and value-driven brand.
- The National Institute of Fashion Technology has developed the Khadi Centre of Excellence in Delhi, with spokes in Bangalore, Gandhinagar, Kolkata, and Shillong.
About Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC):
- Founded: 1956
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Chairperson: Vinai Kumar Saxena
Saudi Aramco became world’s most valuable company by replacing Apple
- Oil giant Saudi Aramco has dethroned Apple Inc. to become the world’s most valuable company, underscoring the recent surge in oil prices that have boosted the energy giant this year.
- The current worth of Aramco is about $2.43 trillion as compared with Apple’s $2.37 trillion. Saudi Aramco has reported a 124% surge in net profit in the last year from $49.0 billion in 2020 to $110.0 billion in 2021.
About Saudi Aramco:
- Founded: 1933
- Headquarters: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- CEO: Amin H. Nasser
Banking and Financial
ICICI Bank partnered with Santander UK for India-UK business ease
- ICICI Bank has joined hands with London-based Santander UK Plc in a pact aimed at facilitating the banking requirements of corporates operating across both countries.
- The memorandum of understanding (MoU) between ICICI and Santander UK Plc is designed to establish a framework of the partnership between the banks to meet the financial service requirements of corporate customers operating within the India-UK corridor.
- It was signed by Sriram H Iyer, Head of the International Banking Group, ICICI Bank, and John Carroll, Head of International and Transactional Banking at Santander UK, in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
About ICICI Bank:
- Founded: 1955 (Incorporated in 1994)
- Headquarters: Vadodara
- MD & CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Chairperson: Girish Chandra Chaturvedi
- Executive Director: Anup Bagchi
- Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khayal Apka
Bharti AXA launched financial literacy campaign ‘InspiHE₹’ for mothers
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance has launched its financial literacy campaign ‘InspiHE₹-Enabling an empowered future’. It is a special initiative to spread financial awareness among women about financial decisions for a secured future.
- The campaign was launched in line with “International Mother’s Day” (May 8, 2022) and ahead of the “International Day of Families” (May 15, 2022).
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance is a joint venture between Bharti Enterprises and AXA. The joint venture company has a 51% stake in Bharti and a 49% stake in AXA.
- Through this campaign, the company hopes to increase awareness of a financially secure future for women by engaging with women, notably mothers, their families, and close to 1 million citizens of India on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
About Bharti AXA Life Insurance Company Limited:
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Parag Raja
Appointment and Resignation
Campbell Wilson appointed as new MD & CEO of Air India
- Campbell Wilson, the previous head of low-cost airline Scoot, has been appointed as the new chief executive officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of Air India.
- He has 26 years aviation industry expertise across both full service and low-cost airlines. He is the chief executive of Scoot, a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines.
- Wilson’s appointment comes after Turkey’s Ilker Ayci decided not to take on the role of chief executive of Air India after the announcement of his appointment led to opposition in India over his previous political links.
- Recently, Nipun Aggarwal appointed as Chief Commercial Officer and Suresh Dutt Tripathi as Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Aggarwal, who is also Senior Vice President at Tata Sons, replaced Air India veteran Meenakshi Malik, while Tripathi, who was Vice President of Human Resources at Tata Steel from 2012 to 2021, succeeded AI’s Amrita Sharan.
About Air India:
- Founder: R. D. Tata
- Founded: 1932
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: N Chandrasekaran
Rajiv Kumar appointed as next Chief Election Commissioner
- Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar was today appointed as the next chief election commissioner.
- He will assume charge on May 15 after incumbent Sushil Chandra demits office on May 14, a notification issued by the Law Ministry said.
- In pursuance of clause (2) of Article 324 of the Constitution, the President appointed Shri Rajiv Kumar as the Chief Election Commissioner with effect from the 15th May 2022.
- Kumar took charge as the Election Commissioner of the Election Commission of India (ECI) on September 1, 2020. Prior to assuming charge in the Election Commission, Kumar had been the chairman of the Public Enterprises Selection Board. He joined as the PESB chairman in April 2020.
About Election Commission of India (ECI):
- Formed:25 January 1950
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chief Election Commissioner: Rajiv Kumar
- Election Commissioner: Anup Chandra Pandey
Deepika Padukone became 1st Indian brand ambassador of Louis Vuitton
- Deepika Padukone has been appointed as Louis Vuitton’s first-ever Indian brand ambassador.
- She was unveiled as part of a new handbag campaign with Emma Stone and Chinese actor Zhou Dongyu in a series of promotional shots.
- Recently, she has been named as a part of an eight-member jury presided by French actor Vincent Lindon at 75th Cannes Film Festival. She has also received the first Time 100 Impact Awards for creating awareness about mental health.
Note: List of brand ambassador
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance: Vidya Balan
- Lupin Limited’s Shakti campaign: Mary Kom
- My11Circle by Games24x7: Shubman Gill and Ruturaj Gaikwad
- PharmEasy: Amir Khan
- Karnataka’s Brain Health Initiative: Robin Uthappa
- Lloyd’s eastern Indian markets: Sourav Ganguly
Royal Gold Medal 2022 for Architecture awarded to Balkrishna Doshi
- Indian Architect Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi was bestowed with the prestigious Royal Gold Medal 2022, one of the world’s highest honours for architecture, by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), London, United Kingdom (UK).
- The Royal Gold Medal is approved personally by Queen Elizabeth II of UK and the award is given to a person or group of people who have had a significant influence either directly or indirectly on the advancement of architecture.
- B V Doshi had a vivid work experience with noted Architect Le Corbusier as a Senior Designer (1951-54) in Paris, France and supervised projects in Ahmedabad, Gujarat for four more years. Doshi also worked with Louis Kahn as an associate to build the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad.
- He won Pritzker Architecture Prize in 2018 which is considered as Nobel Prize in Architecture and he will be the only Indian Architect to hold both the Pritzker Architecture Prize and Royal Gold Medal.
- He was honoured with Padma Shri in 1976 for science and engineering and Padma Bhushan, India’s third-highest Civilian in 2020 for his contribution to the field of architecture.
Jyothi Yarraji won gold medal in 100m hurdles in Cyprus International Athletics Meeting 2022
- Andhra Pradesh’s Jyothi Yarraji has smashed the national record to clinch a gold medal in the women’s 100m hurdles at Limassol in Cyprus International Athletics Meeting 2022 with a timing of 13.23 seconds.
- She break the 20-year-old national record (13.38 seconds) in the name of Anuradha Biswal in 2002.
- Another Indian athlete Lili Das has also won gold in the women’s 1500 meter race and Amlan Borgohain won the bronze medal in the men’s 200m.
India won 14 medals – eight golds, four silvers and two bronze, in Archery Asia Cup 2022 Stage 2
- Indian archers wrapped up a highly successful Asia Cup 2022 Stage-2 campaign in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq with a total of 14 medals – eight golds, four silvers and two bronze.
- The Indian team of women archers Parneet Kaur, Aditi Swami, and Sakshi Chaudhary has won India’s first gold medal of the continental meet after defeating Kazakhstan in Iraq.
- The men’s team of Prathamesh Fuge, Rishabh Yadav, and Jawkar Samadhan has won the second gold for India. The compound mixed duo of Prathmesh Fuge & Parneet Kaur won the third Gold Medal at Asia Archery Cup.
Archery Asia Cup 2022 Stage 2 Iraq: India medal winners
- Women’s team compound – gold (Sakshi Chaudhary, Parneet Kaur, and Aditi Gopichand Swami)
- Men’s team compound – gold (Rishabh Yadav, Prathamesh Fuge, and Prathamesh Jawkar)
- Mixed team compound – gold (Prathamesh Fuge and Parneet Kaur)
- Men’s individual compound – Prathmesh Fuge (gold); Rishabh Yadav (silver); Jawkar Samadhan (bronze)
- Women’s individual compound – Sakshi Chaudhary (gold); Parneet Kaur (silver)
- Women’s team recurve – gold (Avani, Bhajan Kaur and Laxmi Hembrom)
- Men’s team recurve – gold (Mrinal Chauhan, Parth Salunkhe and Juyel Sarkar)
- Mixed team recurve – silver (Parth Salunkhe and Bhajan Kaur)
- Men’s individual recurve – Mrinal Chauhan (gold); Parth Salunke (bronze)
- Women’s individual recurve – Bhajan Kaur (silver)
12 May: International Nurses Day
- Every year International Nurses Day is celebrated on the 12th May to commemorate the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing.
- This day also honours the contributions of nurses to society around the world. The International Council of Nurses began commemorating International Nurses Day in 1965.
- Theme 2022: “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Invest in Nursing and respect rights to secure global health”.
12 May: International Day of Plant Health
- United Nations designated 12 May as the International Day of Plant Health (IDPH) to raise global awareness on how protecting plant health can help end hunger, reduce poverty, protect biodiversity and the environment, and boost economic development.
- The day was promoted by Zambia and was taken into action by the UN General Assembly. The United Nations declared 2020 as the International Year of Plant Health (IYPH).
- The Year was extended until 1 July 2021 due to the postponement of some key initiatives caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
1st president of independent Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk passed away
- Leonid Kravchuk, a former communist who helped sign the Soviet Union’s death warrant and then served as the first president of independent Ukraine, died at the age of 88.
- Kravchuk was known as the “wily fox” as he rose through the ranks of Ukraine’s Communist Party and take over as head of the parliament in 1990.
- He signed the Belovezha accords with Russian President Boris Yeltsin and Belarusian leader Stanislav Shushkevich in December 1991 which effectively triggered the Soviet Union’s collapse.
- Capital: Kyiv
- Currency: Ukrainian hryvnia
- President: Volodymyr Zelenskyy
- Prime minister: Denys Shmyhal
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs