The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional organization comprising of seven member states in South Asia and Southeast Asia lying in littoral and adjacent areas of Bay of Bengal constituting a contiguous regional unity.
Members of BIMSTEC
It comprises of seven member countries:
-Five deriving from South Asia — including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka.
-Two from Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand
This sub-regional organisation came into being on June 6, 1997, through the Bangkok Declaration.
It is headquartered in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Objective of BIMSTEC
Technological and economic cooperation among South Asian and Southeast Asian countries along the coast of the Bay of Bengal is its main objective.
Theme of BIMSTEC summit 2018
The theme of the fourth BIMSTEC summit is ‘Towards a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable Bay of Bengal region’.
BIMSTEC 4TH SUMMIT WAS HELD IN KATHMANDU , NEPAL
BIMSTEC 5TH SUMMIT
The 5th BIMSTEC Summit will be held in Sri Lanka.
List of Guests PM Modi Oath Ceremony.
Leaders of all BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) countries have confirmed their participation in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s swearing-in ceremony. Member countries of BIMSTEC include Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand besides India.
- President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid,
- Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena
- Prime Minister of Nepal KP Sharma Oli
- President of Myanmar U Win Myint
- Bhutanese Prime Minister Lotay Tshering.
- From Thailand, Kumar said, its Special Envoy Grisada Boonrach will represent the country at the ceremony.
- Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
- Kyrgyzstan President Sooronbay Jeenbekov.