Computer Security is the process of preventing and detecting unauthorized use of your computer.
Internet Security Threats
1)Virus is a type of malicious software program (malware) that, when executed, replicates by reproducing itself (copying its own source code) or infecting other computer programs by modifying them
Ex: Code Red, Nimba, SirCam, Melisa, Ripper, MDMA, One _Half
2) Spyware: It is a software that secretly collects user information while on the internet. Spyware can capture information like web browsing habits, email messages, usernames and passwords, and credit card information.
3) Adware: This program launches the advertisements in the form of pop ups. Usually the add words are based on the internet behavior of the user.
4) Spam: These are unwanted emails. In other words we can call them as unsolicited promotional mail.
5) Pharming: More advance method of Phishing in which the attackers create duplicate or similar looking website of other companies, to attract the customers and steal the data.
6) Cookies: These are program or information secretly stored in a computer especially the internet browser, which allows other users to monitor the internet activities of a person. These programs usually monitor the browsing nature of person so that the companies can create better marketing strategies.
7) Mail Bomb: An excessively large email (typically many thousands of messages) or one large message sent to a user’s email account. This is done to crash the system and prevent genuine messages from being received.
8) Scareware: A common trick cyber criminals use to make users think that their computer has become infected with malware to get them to purchase a fake application.
9) Sniffers: A software program used to monitor the traffic in a network. The hackers may use the sniffed data to access important confidential data.
10) Rootkit: A program designed to hide objects such as processes, files or Windows registry entries (often including its own).
11) Phishing: This is acquiring the personal and sensitive information of a person through official looking emails. Users of online banking and e-commerce websites are more prone to this attack.
12) Spoofing : It is a type of scam where an intruder attempts to gain unauthorized access to a user’s system or information by pretending to be the user.
Firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules.
Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package that automatically renders advertisements in order to generate revenue for its author.
Anti-virus software is a program or set of programs that are designed to prevent, search for, detect, and remove software viruses, and other malicious software like worms, trojans, adware