Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 18th April 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for LIC AAO, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
Current Affairs (National)
♦ India drops down on World Press Freedom Index
- India has dropped two places on a global press freedom index to be ranked 140th out of 180 countries in the annual Reporters Without Borders analysis released on Thursday, with the lead up to the ongoing Indian general elections flagged as a particularly dangerous time for journalists.
- The World Press Freedom Index 2019′, topped by Norway, finds an increased sense of hostility towards journalists across the world, with violent attacks in India leading to at least six Indian journalists being killed in the line of their work last year.
♦ TIME’s 100 most influential people 2019: Here are 10 people who made news recently
- Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani and public-interest litigators Arundhati Katju and Menaka Guruswamy, who spearheaded a historic legal battle for LGBTQ rights in India, are among the Indians who have been named by TIME magazine in its prestigious list of the 100 most influential people in the world.
♦ The first G20 meeting in the Arab world will be held in November 2020
- Saudi Arabia announced it will host the G20 summit in November next year in the capital Riyadh, Al Arabiya TV reported on Wednesday.
- The first G20 meeting in the Arab world will be held in November 2020, according to the final communique of the G20 summit last year in Buenos Aires, Argentina, which confirmed that the summit will be held in Japan in 2019, and in Saudi Arabia in 2020, Xinhua reported.
- Saudi Arabia confirmed that it looks forward to hosting the event.
- G20 world leaders met for the first time in 2008 with focus on rescuing the global economy from the worst financial crisis in more than 70 years.
♦ India to host informal ministerial of WTO on May 13-14
- Amid a global trade war, India will hold an informal ministerial of the World Trade Organization (WTO) for a second time in just over a year, starting May 13, a source told FE.
- The two-day mini-ministerial is aimed at reaffirming commitment to preserving a rule-based, multilateral trading system and will likely discuss key issues such as reforms at WTO, special and differential treatment to developing countries, e-commerce and certain other topics relating to the Doha agenda.
- The move comes at a critical time when growing unilateral protectionist policies by the US and some others, and a trade war involving the world’s top two economies have put to test the multilateral trading system represented by WTO.
♦ Ravinder Kumar Passi appointed chairman of EPCH
- Ravinder Kumar Passi has been elevated to the post of chairman of the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH), the body said on Wednesday.
- Passi, who was previously the vice chairman of EPCH, has taken charge as the chairman from his predecessor O P Prahladka.
- Passi has been associated with EPCH since its inception and had earlier served as its chairman during 2001 and 2002.
- Handicraft exports rose 15.46 per cent to Rs 26,590.25 crore during 2018-19 (provisional) from Rs 23,029.36 crore in 2017-18.
♦ China Develops World’s First Armed Amphibious Drone Attack Boat
- A division of state-owned China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC) has delivered the world’s first unmanned, armed amphibious combat vessel, dubbed the “Marine Lizard.” Its builder claims that it is capable of autonomous navigation.
- CSIC first unveiled a prototype last year, but the unit revealed last week reportedly passed all factory checks for delivery, according to state-owned Global Times. However, Janes Defense reports that only the hull was completed, and that the partially-finished craft was transferred to a systems integrator for further fitting out and development.
- The Marine Lizard’s aluminum trimaran hull form and its waterjet propulsion give the vessel a claimed speed of 50 knots at sea. Four sets of tracks are fitted in the bottom of the hull fore and aft and are deployed for beach landings. Diesel-electric power gives it a claimed top speed of about 12 miles per hour on land.
♦ Bajrang regains top spot in world wrestling rankings
- Top Indian grappler Bajrang Punia regained the world number one spot in the men’s 65kg freestyle category in the rankings issued by United World Wrestling on Wednesday.
- The 25-year-old Indian, who won gold in the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games as well as a silver in the World Championships last year, secured 58 ranking points ahead of Akhmed Chakaev of Russia, who has 21 points.
♦ World Heritage Day 2019
- World Heritage Day 2019 I The World Heritage Day is observed every year on April 18 to celebrate and promote cultural heritage across the world. UNESCO defines a World Heritage Site as a “natural or man-made area or a structure that is of international importance, and space which requires special protection.” 55 of the 1,092 UNESCO World Heritage Sites have been declared endangered.
- The top five countries with most world heritage sites are Italy (54), China (53), Spain (47), Germany (44) and France (44). We suggest you add at least these five heritage wonders to your travel bucket list.
Theme 2019- Rural Landscapes
♦ Peru’s Former President kills himself ahead of arrest
- Garcia, 69, fatally shot himself in the head on Wednesday at his home in Lima as police waited in another room to arrest him in the Odebrecht case, which has ensnared three other former Peruvian presidents.
- Garcia had denied the corruption allegations that had long dogged him until the end, saying he was victim of political persecution.
- “Others might sell out, not me,” he told journalists in some of his last public comments on Tuesday, repeating a phrase he used often as his foes became ensnared in the bribery investigation into Brazilian builder Odebrecht in recent years.
- The son of an accountant and a schoolteacher, Garcia became one of Latin America’s greatest orators and governed Peru as a firebrand leftist from 1985-1990. He remade himself as a champion of foreign investment and free trade to win another five-year term in 2006.
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|
- WhatsApp Group Join here
- Telegram Group:- Click Here
- Telegram Channel: Click here
- Like & Follow our Facebook Page:- Click here
- Join our Facebook Group:- Click Here