Current Affairs 1st February 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
Spituk Gustor Festival celebrated in Ladakh
- Spituk Gustor Festival, a two-day annual celebration of Ladakhi culture and traditional heritage celebrated on 30th & 31st January 2022 in Leh and Ladakh Union Territory.
- On the same day, the Geluk Pa Order of Tibetan Buddhism founded by Je Tsongkhapa (1357-1419) is also commemorated, an annual winter festival that aims at increasing brotherhood and friendship among believers.
- It is a celebration of peace and prosperity that is celebrated at the Spituk Monastery in Leh and Ladakh UT. The two-day festival is observed during the 28th and 29th days of the 11th month of the Tibetan Calendar.
Famous festivals of Ladakh:
- Spituk Gustor
- Ladakh Festival
- Diskit Gustor Festival
- Chemrey Wangchok Festival
- Galdan Namchot Festival
- Losar Festival
India’s first geological park will be built in Lamheta, Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI), Ministry of Mines, approved the setting up of India’s first geological park at Lamheta village, on the banks of the Narmada River in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- The GSI has sanctioned 1.30 crore for the formation of Geopark in 5 acres of land at the Lamheta village which is located 20 km away from the Jabalpur district headquarters.
- The estimated cost of this project is Rs 35 crore and any additional funds can be sanctioned if required.
- This geopark to be formed in MP is already in the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) geo-heritage tentative list for the conservation of the natural heritage. In 1828, the 1st dinosaur fossil was collected from the Lameta Bed by Indian Civil Service (ICS) officer William Sleeman.
- MP will also establish a science centre at the cost of Rs 15.20 crore, shared by the Centre and the state (Rs 8.65 crore will be financed by state government and remaining Rs 6.55 crore will be provided by National Science Museum, Kolkata) at Bhedaghat, Jabalpur, MP that is known for white marble rock formations and also a famous tourist hotspot.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Capital: Bhopal
- Governor: Mangubhai C. Patel
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Punjab Chief Electoral Officer unveiled its elections mascot named ‘Shera’
- Chief Electoral Officer’s office of Punjab unveiled its election mascot, “Shera” (Lion).
- It aims to increase voter awareness, participation and promote ethical voting in the Punjab Assembly polls that is scheduled on 20 February 2022. The mascot “Shera”, depicting a lion. It represents the rich cultural heritage of Punjab.
- It is promoted under the Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) project of the Election Commission of India (ECI). SVEEP project was started in 2009, as the flagship program of the ECI for voter education.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief minister: Charanjit Singh Channi
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Gandhi Mandiram, Smruthi Vanam built at Srikakulam in Andhra Pradesh
- Social activists have built a temple for Mahatma Gandhi and freedom fighters’ Smrithi Vanam at the Municipal Park in Srikakulam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Aim: to inculcate patriotism among the youth by remembering the sacrifices of freedom fighters.
- Statues of freedom fighters and social activists were erected in the park with the help of donors.
- Arrangements have been made to unveil the Gandhi temple as well as Smrithi Vanam on the eve of Gandhiji’s death anniversary.
About Andhra Pradesh:
- Capitals: Visakhapatnam (executive capital), Kurnool (judicial capital), Amaravati (legislative capital.)
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
- Chief minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
11th meeting of India-Oman Joint Military Cooperation Committee held
- 11th meeting of India-Oman Joint Military Cooperation Committee (JMCC) was held in New Delhi.
- The meeting was co-chaired by Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar and Mohammed Bin Nasser Bin Ali AL Zaabi, Secretary-General of the Ministry of Defence of Oman.
- The JMCC is the highest forum of engagement between India and Oman in the field of defence. It evaluates and provides guidance to the overall framework of defence exchanges between the two sides.
- Capital: Muscat
- Currency: Omani rial
- Sultan: Haitham bin Tariq
Banking and Financial
Union Budget 2022-23 presented by FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- On 1st February 2022, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman presented her fourth Budget in Parliament.
- A digital-first approach took priority as the finance minister announced proposal to launch Digital currency by the RBI, and setting up of a Digital University.
- Expansions under PM Gati Shakti project were also emphasised upon with National Highways to be expanded by 25,000 km in the next fiscal. This is the second consecutive year that a paperless budget was presented. Read more here.
Government collected Rs 1.38 lakh crores as GST of January 2022
- The monthly GST collections in January 2022 crossed Rs 1.30 lakh crore for the fourth time in the history of GST.
- The collections in January 2022 till 3 pm on 31 January 2022 was at Rs 1,38,394 crore. January 2022 collections were 15 percent higher than collections in the same month last year and 25 percent higher than the GST revenues in January 2020.
- Of the Rs 1,38,394 crore, CGST accounted for Rs 24,674 crore, SGST Rs 32,016 crore, IGST Rs 72,030 crore (including Rs 35,181 crore collected on import of goods) and compensation cess accounted for Rs 9,674 crore (including Rs 517 crore collected on import of goods).
- The highest monthly GST collection has been Rs 1,39,708 crore in the month of April 2021.
Note: List of previous months GST Collection
- December 2021: Rs 1.29 Lakh crores
- November 2021: Rs 1.31 lakh crores
- October 2021: Rs 1.30 lakh crores
- September 2021: Rs. 1,17,010 crores
- August 2021: Rs. 1.12 lakh crores
- July 2021: Rs. 1,16,393 crores
- June 2021: Rs. 92,849 crores
- May 2021: Rs. 1,02,709 crores
- April 2021: Rs.1,39,708 crores (All time Highest)
- March 2021: Rs. 1.24 lakh crores
- February 2021: Rs 1,13,143 crores
- January 2021: Rs. 1,19,847 crores
Tata Group chose SBI, BoB & HDFC Bank to finance Air India’s old debt
- Tata Group has chosen State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, and HDFC Bank as preferred bankers for Air India.
- Recently Tata Group has taken over Air India from the government. Air India is the largest international carrier out of India with an 18.6% market share. Tata Sons have availed of a Rs 10,000-crore loan from SBI and a Rs 5,000-crore loan from BoB. The loan from HDFC Bank is not known yet. The loans are unrated, unsecured, and pegged at 4.25% [interest rate] annually.
- Tata Sons-promoted Talace has acquired Air India, offering Rs 18,000 crore that include Rs 15,300 crore for the carrier’s existing debt and Rs 2,700 crore cash to be paid to the government. The new debt availed by the Tata Group will be used to refinance Air India’s debt availed at over 10%.
About Tata group:
- Founder: Jamsetji Tata
- Founded: 1868, Mumbai
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Owner: Ratan Tata
- Chairman: Natarajan Chandrasekaran
PR Sreejesh won the World Games Athlete of the Year 2021 Award
- India hockey goalkeeper PR Sreejesh won the prestigious World Games Athlete of the Year 2021.
- He became the first Indian man and only the second Indian to receive the accolade. In 2020, Indian women’s hockey captain Rani Rampal became the first Indian to win the honour.
- Sreejesh was part of the Tokyo Olympics-bronze medal-winning side. In the FIH Stars Awards in October 2021, Sreejesh was named the goalkeeper of the year for 2021.
Magnus Carlsen won the Tata Steel Masters chess 2022
- World No. 1 Magnus Carlsen won the Tata Steel Masters chess 2022 after beating Fabiano Caruana.
- Indian Grandmaster Vidit Gujrathi lost to Shakhriyar Mamedyarov of Azerbaijan in the 12th and penultimate round of the tournament.
- The Norwegian, who will get a win by forfeit (over Daniil Dubov) in the final round, is a full point ahead of his closest competitors — Richard Rapport and Mamedyarov. While Gujrathi lost to Mamedyarov and remains on six points.
Chennai Super Kings became India’s 1st unicorn sports enterprise
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) have become the first-ever sports Unicorn in the country to have a market share of Rs 7,600 crores and its share in the grey market trading in the Rs 210-225 price band.
- CSK is four-time Indian Premier League (IPL) MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings (CSK) defeated mighty Kolkata Knight Riders last year to win their record-extending fourth IPL title in Dubai
- The market value of Chennai Super Kings has become higher than that of its parent entity India Cements. On January 29, 2022, India Cements’ market cap stood at Rs 6,869 crores.
- Unicorns are privately held start-up companies having a valuation of more than USD 1 billion.
Book and Author
A new book “Fearless Governance’ authored by Kiran Bedi released
- 24th Lt Governor of Puducherry, Kiran Bedi has penned down her journey of governance in the book ‘Fearless Governance’.
- It was launched by Indra Nooyi (former chairperson & CEO of PepsiCo) and Prof Debashis Chatterjee (director, IIM Kozhikode).
- The book captures Bedi’s ‘fearless’ moments, administrative acumen, and innovative initiatives in Puducherry.
1 February 2022: Indian Coast Guard 46th Raising Day
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) celebrated its 46th Raising Day on 1 February 2022. The fourth-largest Coast Guard in the world, the ICG has saved over 10,000 lives since its establishment in 1977.
- The Indian Coast Guard was inaugurated with just seven surface platforms in 1978. Since then, the organisation has increased its inventory to 156 ships and 62 aircraft.
- The mission of the Indian Coast Guard is offshore security, marine safety, and coastal security. It has also been given the task of securing India’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). The ICG is responsible for the protection of the marine environment and providing scientific assistance.
- Motto: “Vayam Rakshamah” or “We Protect”.
About Indian Coast Guard:
- Founded: 1 February 1977
- Headquarters: Ministry of Defence, New Delhi
- Director-General: Virender Singh Pathania
NPCI announced UPI safety and awareness week from Feb 1 to 7
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and the UPI ecosystem (comprising of leading banks and fintechs) have announced the UPI Safety and Awareness initiative to create awareness amongst consumers.
- NPCI and the ecosystem comprising leading banks and fintech will observe February 1 to 7 as UPI Safety and Awareness Week. Whole month of February will be UPI Safety and Awareness Month.
- Under this programme, NPCI urges all the customers to follow the concept of UPI Safety Shield, which the company has derived to educate customers all about UPI payments.
About National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
- Founded: 2008
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
30 January 2022: Anti-Untouchability Day
- The Government of Tamil Nadu observed the Anti-Untouchability Day on 30th January 2022 to mark the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- MK Stalin, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu administered the pledge against untouchability to Ministers, Senior officials and staff at the Secretariat in Fort St George in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- The All India Anti Untouchability League was founded by Mahatma Gandhi on 30th September 1932 to eradicate untouchability in India, working for Harijan or Dalit people and upliftment of Depressed Class of India. The society was renamed Harijan Sevak Sangh (‘Servants of Harijan Society’).
Senior advocate & Additional Solicitor General Rupinder Singh Suri passed away
- Senior advocate and Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Rupinder Singh Suri passed away. Suri was appointed the ASG in June 2020.
- Suri was designated as a senior advocate in 2009 and also served as the President of the Supreme Court Bar Association and the Supreme Court Advocates on Record Association.
- He served as standing counsel in the Supreme Court for Punjab for about 15 years.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs