Current Affairs 21st March 2022, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
35th Surajkund International Crafts Mela inaugurated in Haryana
- Governor of Haryana, Bandaru Dattatraya and Chief Minister of Haryana, Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the 35th edition of Surajkund International Crafts Mela at Surajkund in Faridabad district of Haryana.
- The event is organized jointly by the Surajkund Mela Authority & Haryana Tourism in collaboration with Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs.
- In 2022, Jammu & Kashmir is the ‘Theme State’ and Uzbekistan is the partner nation. The Fair was first organized in 1987.
- Aim: It is a platform for the artisans from India to showcase their talent and encourages to preserve our rich heritage & culture.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
- Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
N Biren Singh took oath as Manipur CM for the second term
- N Biren Singh took oath as Manipur’s chief minister for a second straight term. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) came back to power with a landslide victory in the recently concluded assembly election.
- Singh was unanimously elected as leader of the legislature party of the BJP during a meeting. Prior to entering politics, Singh was a footballer and also had a career in journalism.
- He had successfully contested his 1st election in 2002 from the Heingang constituency.
- Capital: Imphal
- Chief minister: Biren Singh
- Governor: La Ganesan
Banking and Financial
Govt extended timeline to 10 years for startups to convert debt investments into equity
- According to DPIIT, the government has extended the timeline up to 10 years for startups to convert debt investments made in the company into equity shares.
- Previously, convertible notes may be converted into equity shares for up to five years after the initial convertible note was issued. That time frame has now been increased to ten years. A convertible note is a kind of debt/loan instrument.
- This decision is likely to give relief to budding entrepreneurs to deal with the impact of Covid-19 Extending this flexibility to ten years will make it easier for businesses to show their concept to early-stage investors (especially in highly inventive cases that require more gestation time to create scale) without having to make required pre-mature exits.
Appointment and Resignation
UN appointed Jayati Ghosh to high-level advisory board on multilateralism
- Indian economist Jayati Ghosh has been appointed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to a new high-level advisory board on effective multilateralism.
- Ghosh has been named to the 12-member board, which will be supported in its work by the Centre for Policy Research of the United Nations University in close coordination with the Executive Office of the Secretary-General.
- She is a Professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She was previously a professor of economics and chairperson of the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University. She is also a member of the UN’s high-level Advisory Board on Economic and Social Affairs.
About United Nations (UN):
- Founded: 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California, United States
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- Secretary general: António Guterres
Rajesh Gopinathan re-appointed as MD and CEO of TCS
- The board of IT major, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has announced the re-appointment of Rajesh Gopinathan as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company for five years.
- His second term will begin from February 21, 2022, to February 20, 2027. Rajesh Gopinathan was first appointed as the CEO and MD of TCS in 2017.
- The company has also re-appointed N Ganapathy Subramaniam as the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director from February 21, 2022, to May 19, 2024, as per the retirement age policy of the Company.
About Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Limited:
- Founded: 1 April 1968
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Rajesh Gopinathan
Jay Shah re-appointed as the President of Asian Cricket Council for 1 year
- Jay Shah has been re-appointed as the President of Asian Cricket Council (ACC) for a period of 1 year.
- He has been unanimously given an extension of the tenure during the annual general meeting of ACC. Shah’s extension was proposed by Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) president Shammi Silva and the nomination was backed unanimously by all the members of the ACC.
- He was appointed as the President of ACC in January 2021, replacing Nazmul Hassan, (President of Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB)). Jay Shah is also the Secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) since 2019.
About Asian Cricket Council:
- Founded: 19 September 1983
- Headquarters: Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Chairman: Amitabh Choudhary
- Membership: 25 associations
Suresh Raina awarded ‘Sports Icon’ award at Maldives Sports Awards
- Former Indian cricketer, Suresh Raina has been awarded the prestigious ‘Sports Icon’ award at the Maldives Sports Awards 2022. The Maldives government felicitated Raina for his various achievements throughout his career.
- He was nominated alongside 16 international sportspersons, including former Real Madrid player Roberto Carlos, Jamaican Sprinter Asafa Powell, former Sri Lankan captain and cricketer Sanath Jayasuriya and Dutch football legend Edgar Davids among others.
- He is the first Indian player to score 6000 as well as 8000 runs in a Twenty20 career and the first-ever cricketer to reach 5,000 runs in IPL. He also holds the record for scoring the most fifties in Champions League T20 history.
- Capital: Male
- Currency: Rufiyaa
- President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
9th India-Seychelles joint military exercise LAMITIYE- 2022 conducted in Seychelles
- The Indian Army and the Seychelles Defence Forces (SDF) are holding the 9th Joint Military Exercise LAMITIYE-2022 at the Seychelles Defence Academy in Seychelles from March 22 to March 31, 2022.
- This exercise will see the participation of an Infantry Platoon strength from both the Indian Army and the Seychelles Defence Forces (SDF), as well as Company Headquarters.
- The contingent of the Indian Army comprises troops from the 2/3 GORKHA RIFLES group (PIRKANTHI Battalion). Since 2001, Seychelles has hosted Exercise LAMITIYE which is a biennial training exercise.
Note: Some Important Exercise:
- Red Flag-India and US
- Al Nagah-India and Oman
- ‘Naseem-Al-Bahr’-India and Oman
- Ekuverin-India and Maldives
- Garuda Shakti-India and Indonesia
- Desert Warrior- India and Egypt
Fifth in the series of Offshore Patrol Vessels “ICGS Saksham” commissioned in Goa
- Defence Secretary of India Dr Ajay Kumar has commissioned the Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Saksham, the fifth in the series of 105-metre Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) class, at Goa.
- Goa Shipyard Limited designed and built the 105-meter OPV, which is equipped with advanced technology, navigation and communication systems, sensors, and machinery.
- The ship will be based in Kochi once it joins the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) force. Ship will be used extensively for surveillance in Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs) and other missions mandated by the Coast Guard charter.
- The Indigenous Offshore Patrol Vessel Project was launched by the Prime Minister of India in 2016 under which five Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV) for the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) were planned to be launched.
- The first four of the five ICGS which have already been commissioned in 2020 are ICGS Sachet (1st); ICGS Sujeet (2nd); ICGS Sarthak (3rd); and ICGS Sajag (4th) in 2021.
About Indian Coast Guard (ICG):
- Formed: August 18, 1978
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Director-General: Virender Singh Pathania
- Motto: Vayam Rakṣāmaḥ (We protect)
NATO military exercise ‘Cold Response 2022’ began in Norway
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has organised the massive military drill ‘Cold Response 2022’ in Norway from March 14, 2022, and will continue till April 01, 2022.
- The exercise is held in Norway every second year, for NATO Allies and partners. Cold Response is a long-planned and defensive exercise where Norway and its allies exercise in defending Norway against external threats.
- The Norwegian-led exercise provides an opportunity to train together in cold weather conditions over challenging terrain and demonstrates NATO’s ability to respond decisively to any threat, from any direction.
- Around 30,000 troops from 27 nations are taking part in the 2022 edition of the exercise, with about 220 aircraft and more than 50 vessels. This is the largest ‘Cold Response’ being exercise conducted in Norway since the 1980s.
About North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO):
- Founded: 4 April 1949
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
- Secretary-General: Jens Stoltenberg
- Chairman of the NATO Military Committee: Admiral Rob Bauer
- Member countries: 30
NMDC signed MoU with IIT Kharagpur for Drone-Based Mineral Exploration
- India’s largest iron ore manufacturer National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd. (NMDC) has signed MoU with IIT Kharagpur for ‘Drone-Based Mineral Exploration’ on a virtual platform.
- After this, NMDC will be the first Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) in India to conduct Drone-based Geophysical Surveys and Hyperspectral Studies for Mineral Exploration in the country.
- This partnership will produce spectral products, methodologies, and algorithms for mining exploration employing drones (UAVs), which will lead to the development of software spectral tools for mineral excavation and mining technology capacity-building programmes.
About National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) Limited:
- Founded: 15 November 1958
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Chairman & Managing Director: Sumit Deb
Pankaj Advani won Asian Billiards Championship for the 8th time
- Ace Indian cueist, Pankaj Advani won 19th Asian 100 UP Billiards Championship 2022 in Doha, Qatar after defeating compatriot Dhruv Sitwala by 6-2.
- It was his eighth title at the Asian Billiards Championship and 24th international title. Earlier, he defeated Myanmar’s Pauk Sa in the semi-final to enter finals.
- Asian Billiards Championship is organized by the Asian Confederation of Billiard Sports, since 1984. 2019 edition of the championship was also won by Pankaj Advani.
Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc won 2022 F1 Bahrain Grand Prix
- Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc (Monaco) has won the Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix 2022 at the Bahrain International Circuit, a motor racing circuit in the west of Bahrain. It was his first victory since the 2019 Italian Grand Prix.
- He was followed by Carlos Sainz Jr. (Ferrari – Spain), who came second, and Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) came third.
- This was the first Formula One race of 2022 and was the eighteenth edition of the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Note: List of 2021 F1 Race
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) Emilia Romagna GP, Monaco GP, French GP, Styrian GP, Austrian GP, Dutch GP, Belgian GP, United States GP, Mexican GP, Abu Dhabi GP
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes – UK), Bahrain GP, British GP, Portuguese GP, Spanish GP, Russian GP, Brazilian (Sao Paulo) GP, Qatar GP, Saudi Arabian GP
- Sergio Perez (Red Bull – Mexico): Azerbaijan GP
- Esteban Ocon (Alpine-Renault – France): Hungarian GP
- Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren – Australia) : Italian GP
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes – Finland): Turkish GP
Book and Author
Autobiography of former cricketer G.R. Viswanath titled “Wrist Assured: An Autobiography”, co-authored by R Kaushik
- Former Indian cricket captain Gundappa Ranganatha Vishwanath has penned his autobiography titled “Wrist Assured: An Autobiography”, co-authored by senior journalist R Kaushik.
- The book traces the cricketing journey of Gundappa Vishwanath who played Test Cricket for India between 1969 and 1986, making 91 appearances and scoring more than 6000 runs.
- Former Indian cricketers Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar released the book at the ceremony held on the first day of the 2nd day/night Test between India and Sri Lanka in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
21 March: World Down Syndrome Day
- World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD) is observed every year on 21 March. It is a global campaign that is observed annually to spread awareness about Down Syndrome.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), in 2011, declared 21 March as World Down Syndrome Day. It was celebrated for the first time in the year 2012.
- Down syndrome occurs when an individual has an extra partial (or whole) copy of chromosome 21. It is not yet known why this syndrome occurs, but Down syndrome has always been a part of the human condition.
- Theme 2022: ‘#InclusionMeans’.
21 March: International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on 21 March to remind people about the negative consequences of racial discrimination.
- The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on the day the police in Sharpeville, South Africa, opened fire and killed 69 people at a peaceful demonstration against apartheid “pass laws” in 1960.
- The UN General Assembly resolution 2142 (XXI), adopted on 26 October 1966, proclaimed 21 March as the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination to be commemorated annually. On that day, in 1960, police opened fire and killed 69 people at a peaceful demonstration in Sharpeville, South Africa, against the apartheid “pass laws”. Proclaiming the Day in 1966 which signifies the struggle to end the policy of apartheid in South Africa.
- Theme 2022: “VOICES FOR ACTION AGAINST RACISM”.
21 March: World Poetry Day
- On 21st March, World Poetry Day is celebrated every year to recognise the unique ability of poetry to capture the creative spirit of the human mind.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) adopted this day during UNESCO’s 30th session in Paris in 1999 with the aim of supporting linguistic diversity through poetic expression and increasing the opportunity for endangered languages to be heard.
- Some countries also celebrate World Poetry Day on October 15 to mark the birthday of Virgil, a Roman poet who is famous for his epic Aeneid.
21 March: International Day of Forests or World Forestry Day
- The International Day of Forests, also known as World Forestry Day, is celebrated every year on 21 March with the aim to increase awareness about the unprecedented role forests plays in sustaining lives on this planet.
- The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 21 March the International Day of Forests (IDF) in 2012. The Day celebrates and raises awareness of the importance of all types of forests.
- According to the United Nations, forests are home to about 80 per cent of the world’s terrestrial biodiversity, with more than 60,000 tree species. Yet, we are losing 10 million hectares of forest — about the size of Iceland — each year.
- Theme 2022: “Forests and sustainable production and consumption.”
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs