Current Affairs 21th July 2022 Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2022: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 5-6 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2022.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2022, Daily GK Update 2022. All the important updates based on current affairs 2022 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2022 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2022 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2022 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2022.
India signed an MoU with Namibia for wildlife conservation
- India and the Republic of Namibia has signed an MoU on wildlife conservation and sustainable biodiversity utilization for the restoration of cheetah into the historical range in India.
- The signing of the MoU took place between Vice President of Namibia, Nangolo Mbumba and Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Bhupender Yadav.
- The main thrust areas of MoU include biodiversity conservation with a specific focus on conservation and restoration of cheetah in their former range areas from which they went extinct and sharing and exchange of expertise and capacities aimed at promoting cheetah conservation in two countries.
- Cheetah has a very special significance for the national conservation ethic and ethos. Bringing the cheetah back to India would have equally important conservation ramifications. Cheetah restoration will be part of a prototype for the restoration of original cheetah habitats and their biodiversity, helping to stem the degradation and rapid loss of biodiversity.
- Capital – Windhoek
- Currency – Namibian dollar, South African rand
- President – Hage Geingob
- JSW Steel partnered with BCG to accelerate decarbonization journey
- Telangana government partnered with UNDP for Data in Climate Resilient Agriculture (DiCRA)
- The Telangana government has joined hands with the United Nations Development
- NASSCOM partnered with Google for DigiVaani Call Center
- RBI and Bank Indonesia signed an MoU to improve mutual cooperation
- RIL partnered with Athletics Federation of India to support Indian Athlete.
Assam CM launched ‘Swanirbhar Naari’ scheme to empower weavers
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has launched ‘Swanirbhar Naari’, a scheme to empower indigenous weavers in Assam’s Guwahati.
- Under the scheme, the state government will procure handloom items directly from the indigenous weavers via a web portal.
- Government has also urged the Handloom & Textiles department to promote Assamese gamosa (traditional scarf or towel), which is a unique handloom product, across the country.
- Capital – Dispur
- Chief Minister –Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Governor – Prof Jagdish Mukhi
List of Assam Government Scheme
- Ayushman CAPF scheme
- Uttaran scheme
- Dhanwantari Scheme
- Arundhati scheme
- Aponar Apon Ghar Scheme
- Abhinandan Scheme
- Pragyan Bharti
- Bhasha Gourab
- Sneha Sparsha Scheme
- Orunodoi Scheme
- Atal Amrit Abhiyan Health Insurance Scheme
- Silpi Sambardhana
- Gyan Deepika Scheme
- Assam Deen Dayal Divyangjan Sahajya Scheme
Microsoft launched Workplace social app ‘Viva Engage’
- Microsoft has introduced Viva Engage, a new app in Teams that helps build community and connection, along with providing tools for personal expression.
- On this app, leaders can share news and insights, answer questions, and facilitate two-way conversations.
- With Storyline and Stories features, employees can connect with co-workers, and share their thoughts, expertise, passions, and ideas.
- Microsoft Viva is designed to give employees across multiple roles and functions what they need to feel connected — no matter when or where they work.
- The social app for digital communities, conversations, and self-expression tools builds on the existing capabilities of the Communities app for Teams and Microsoft 365.
- Founded – 1975
- Founders – Bill Gates and Paul Allen
- Headquarters – Washington DC
- Chairman – Satya Nadella
- CEO – Satya Nadella
- President – Brad Smith
Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index June 2022: India ranks 118, topped by Norway
- India’s rankings fell by three spots in the median mobile speeds, according to Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index. India has at the number 115th spot in May this year, but it dropped down to 118th in June.
- In April and May, India’s mobile broadband speeds improved. But the month of June 2022, saw the median mobile download speeds in India decrease from 14.28 Mbps in May to 14.00 Mbps, according to the data.
- India’s median download speeds on fixed broadband marked an improvement at 48.11 Mbps in June 2022, from 47.86 Mbps in the previous month. This pushed country’s global ranking three notches higher, to 72nd spot in June 2022 from 75th in May 2022.
- According to the June Speedtest Global Index, Norway continues to be at the No.1 spot for overall global median mobile speeds, while Chile has reclaimed its No.1 position from Singapore, which landed at the No.2 spot for overall global fixed broadband speeds.
- For the month of June, Norway ranks first at 126.96 Mbps in the median mobile download speed index and Chile ranks first at 213.73 Mbps in the median broadband download speed index.
- Papua New Guinea and Gabon registered the highest growth for mobile download speeds and fixed broadband speeds respectively in June 2022.
- Ookla’s index compares speedtest data from around the world each month.
Henley Passport Index 2022: India ranks 87th, topped by Japan
- The Henley Passport Index has recently released the list of the World’s Most Powerful Passports for the year 2022.
- Indian passport has ranked at 87th in the Henley Passport Index among 199 passports.
- Japan, Singapore and South Korea have the most powerful passports in the world, according to the latest rankings released by Henley Passport Index.
- The Henley Passport Index is the original, authoritative ranking of all the world’s passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa. The index is based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) – the largest, most accurate travel information database and enhanced by Henley & Partners’ research team.
Henley Passport Index 2022
- Rank 1 – Japan
- Rank 2 – Singapore & South Korea
- Rank 3 – Germany & Spain
- Rank 4 – Finland, Italy & Luxemburg
- Rank 5 – Austria, Denmark, Netherlands & Sweden
- Rank 69 – China & Bolivia
- Rank 87 – India, Mauritania & Tajikistan
- Rank 109 – Pakistan
- Rank 110 – Syria
- Rank 111 – Iraq
- Rank 112 – Afghanista
List of India’s Rank in Different Index 2022
- World Happiness Report 2022: 136th; Finland topped
- World Press Freedom Index 2022: India ranked 150th; Norway topped
- Global Environmental Performance Index 2022: 180th; Denmark topped
- IMD’s World Competitiveness Index 2022: 37th; Denmark topped
- Global Gender Gap Index 2022: 135th, Iceland Topped
Banking and Financial
Bajaj Allianz partnered with DBS Bank India to offer life insurance products
- Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance and DBS Bank India have announced a strategic partnership to offer life insurance solutions to the bank’s customers.
- New and existing customers across the 550+ branches of DBS Bank can now choose from Bajaj Allianz Life’s retail products including term, savings, retirement, and investment products.
- DBS is a leading financial services group in Asia with 18 markets. Recognized for its global leadership, DBS has been named “World’s Best Bank” by Euromoney,
- In addition, DBS has been accorded the “Safest Bank in Asia” award by Global Finance for 13 consecutive years from 2009 to 2021. DBS was also ranked No. 1 on Forbes’ list of the World’s Best Banks in India for two consecutive years.
- DBS Bank has been present in India for 28 years, opening its first office in Mumbai in 1994. DBS Bank India Limited is among the first foreign banks in India to start operating as a wholly owned, locally incorporated subsidiary of a leading global bank.
- Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance is one of India’s leading and fastest-growing private life insurers. The company is a partnership between two powerful and successful entities in their own right – Bajaj FinServ Limited, one of India’s most diversified non-banking financial institution and Allianz SE, one of the world’s leading asset manager and insurer.
About Development Bank of Singapore (DBS) Bank
- Founded – 1968
- Headquarters – Singapore
- Chairman – Peter Seah
- CEO – Piyush Gupta
RBI restricted three cooperative banks from conducting banking activity
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced severe restrictions on three cooperative banks.
- These include two banks from Maharashtra, the Nashik Zilla Girna Sahakari Bank Limited and the Raigad Sahakari Bank besides Karnatka-based Sri Mallikarjuna Pattana Sahakari Bank.
- Considering their poor liquidity position, the Reserve Bank has prohibited these three banks from conducting any banking activity.
- Depositors of Nashik Zilla Girna Sahakari Bank and Sri Mallikarjuna Pattana Sahakari Bank will not be allowed to withdraw any money from their savings, current, or any other account.
- They will however be allowed to set off loans against deposits. While 99.87 percent of all the depositors of Nashik Zilla Girna Sahakari Bank are fully covered by the DICGC insurance scheme, close to 99.5 percent of depositors of Sri Mallikarjuna Pattana Sahakari Bank are covered by the scheme.
- The depositors of Raigad Sahakari Bank to withdraw a sum not exceeding fifteen thousand rupees out of the total balance across all savings or current accounts or any other account.
- These banks will not be able to grant or renew any loans and advances, make any investment, borrow funds or accept fresh deposits, disburse any payment, enter into any compromise or arrangement and sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of any of its properties or assets.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Founded – 1 April 1935
- RBI Nationalized – 1 January 1949
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- RBI set up – Hilton Young Commission
- 1st Governor – Sir Osborne Smith (Australia)
- 1st Indian Governor – CD Deshmukh
- 25th Governor – Shaktikanta Das
- RBI Deputy Governor (4) – 1. Tavarna Rabi Sankar
- Mukesh Kumar Jain
- Michael D Patra
- M Rajeshwar Rao
- Five Subsidiaries of RBI
- Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation of India (DICGC)
- Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Private Limited (BRBNMPL)
- Reserve Bank Information Technology Private Limited (ReBIT)
- Indian Financial Technology and Allied Services (IFTAS)
- Reserve Bank Innovation Hub
- Four currencies note printing presses
- Nashik in Maharashtra owned by govt of India
- Dewas in Madhya Pradesh owned by govt of India
- Mysuru in Karnataka owned by RBI
- Salboni in West Bengal owned by RBI
- Four mints owned by the Government of India
Mumbai, Hyderabad, Calcutta and Noida
RBI hiked Capital Adequacy Ratio for Urban Cooperative Banks to 12%
- RBI has hiked the minimum Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR) for Urban Cooperative Banks (UCBs) with deposits above Rs 100 crore to 12 percent from 9.0 percent.
- RBI has allowed till March 2026 to meet revised CAR norm in phases for UCBs that don’t meet it currently.
- RBI has decided to adopt a simple four-tiered regulatory framework with differentiated regulatory prescriptions to strengthen the financial soundness of the existing UCBs. This is based on recommendations of a panel headed by N S Vishwanathan, former Deputy Governor set up in February 2021
- It has retained the norm of a minimum CAR of 9 per cent for tier-1 banks (those with deposits up to Rs 100 crore).
- The Tier-2 banks are UCBs with deposits of more than Rs 100 crore and up to Rs 1,000 crore; Tier-3 are UCBs with deposits of more than Rs 1,000 crore and up to Rs 10,000 crore. The final layer, Tier-4. consists of banks with deposits exceeding Rs 10,000 crore.
- RBI said in statement to boost business opportunities for housing loans, risk weights will now be assigned on the basis of loan-to-value (LTV) ratio alone. This is expected to bring capital savings, and will apply to all UCB tiers.
- RBI added that revaluation reserves will be considered for inclusion in Tier-I capital subject to applicable discounts on the lines of scheduled commercial banks.
SBI launched WhatsApp Banking Services for its customers
- India’s largest public sector lender, State Bank of India has launched its WhatsApp Banking services to make banking easier for its customers.
- Customers of the SBI can access their Account Balance and view Mini Statement on WhatsApp.
- You must first register to use this service through SBI WhatsApp Banking. Send an SMS to 7208933148 with the text WAREG, your account number, and a space between them. One thing you must remember is to send this SMS from the same phone number that is linked to your SBI account.
- This WhatsApp Banking services can available to customers when they send a message saying ‘Hi’ on the number 919022690226.
- Bank is working to offer WhatsApp-based services to its credit card holders through the platform under the name of SBI Card WhatsApp connect.
About State Bank of India (SBI)
- Founded – 1 July 1955
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman – Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Managing Director – (4) Alok Kumar Choudhary, Swaminathan Janakiraman, Challa Sreenivasulu Setty, and Ashwini Kumar Tewari
- Imperial Bank of India was previous name of SBI.
- The presidency Banks of Bengal, Bombay and Madras with merged in 1921 to Imperial Bank of India.
- Tagline – (1) Pure Banking Nothing Else
(2) With you all the way
(3) A bank of the common man
(4) The banker to every Indian
(5) The Nation banks on us
Appointment and Resignation
Rajarshi Gupta appointed as Managing Director of ONGC Videsh
- Rajarshi Gupta has taken over as Managing Director of ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL), the overseas investment arm of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
- He replaces Alok Gupta who superannuated last month.
- Prior to this, he was Executive Director – Chief of Corporate Strategy & Planning in ONGC.
- Rajarshi Gupta has more than 33 years of wide-ranging experience in supervisory, managerial and strategic planning capacities in domestic and international operations of ONGC and ONGC Videsh.
- Member of UPSC – Lt. Gen. Raj Shukla
- MD of RattanIndia Power – Brijesh Gupta
- Director (Technical) of REC – VK Singh
- MD & CEO of NSE – Ashish Kumar Chauhan
- Non-independent non-executive director of IndiGo – M Damodaran
Ranil Wickremesinghe sworn-in as new President of Sri Lanka
- Ranil Wickremesinghe took oath as the eighth president of Sri Lanka at the parliament premises before Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya.
- Wickremesinghe has secured 134 votes in the 225-member House while his rival Dullas Alahapperuma got 82.
- He had taken over as the Acting President after ex-President Gotabaya Rajapksa fled the country.
- Wickremesinghe will complete the tenure of Rajapaksa’s term, which ends in November 2024.
- Sri Lanka currency: Sri Lankan rupee
About Sri Lanka
- Legislative capital – Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Executive and Judicial capital – Colombo
- Currency – Sri Lankan rupee
- President – Ranil Wickremesinghe
Denesh Ramdin, Lendl Simmons announced retirement from international cricket
- West Indies cricketers in Denesh Ramdin and Lendl Simmons have announced retirement from international cricket.
- Ramdin played his last match for West Indies in a T20I in December 2019. However, he will continue to play franchise cricket. He has played 74 Tests, 139 ODIs and 71 T20Is. He started out in Test cricket, making his debut against Sri Lanka in Colombo in July 2005.
- Simmons made his international debut way back in 2008 in an ODI against Pakistan at Faisalabad. Thereafter, he made his T20 and Test debuts in 2007 and 2009 respectively. In 8 Tests, 68 ODIs and 68 T20Is, the right-handed batter scored 278, 1958 and 1527 runs respectively.
Los Angeles to host 2028 Summer Olympic Games in July 2028
- The 2028 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games will be hosted in Los Angeles, United States.
- The opening ceremony for the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics will take place on July 14, 2028, and continue till July 30.
- Los Angeles has previously hosted the Olympics in 1984 and 1932.
- The Los Angeles 2028 Games will feature more than 3,000 hours of live sport across 800 events in more than 40 sports. 15,000 athletes are expected to compete in the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles, according to Los Angeles 2028.
- The Paralympic Games will begin in Los Angeles on August 15, 2028, and end on August 27.
- This will be the first time that Los Angeles will be hosting the Paralympic Games.
- 2024 Summer Olympic Games will be held in Paris, France.
Summer Olympics Games
- 2021 – Tokyo, Japan
- 2024 – Paris, France
- 2028 – Los Angeles, US
- 2032 – Brisbane, Australia
- 2048 – New Delhi, India
Winter Olympics Games
- 2022 – Beijing, China
- 2026 – Milan & Cortina, Italy
Summer Youth Olympics Games
- 2026 – Dakar, Senegal
International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- Established – 23 June, 1894
- President – Thomas Bach
- Headquarters – Lausanne, Switzerland
- Founders- Pierre de Coubertin, Demetrios Vikelas
20 July – International Moon Day
- The General Assembly declared International Moon Day, a United Nations-designated international day to be observed annually on 20 July.
- Objective – To educate and promote awareness on the status and prospects for humanity.
- The astronomical community is celebrating International Moon Day on July 20 to commemorate the anniversary of NASA’s Apollo 11 mission which landed the first humans on the Moon.
- On this day in 1969, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin conducted their Moonwalk, becoming the first batch of astronauts to ever step foot on the lunar surface. This day was declared International Moon Day by the United Nations (UN) in its resolution 76/76 on ‘International cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space’ in 2021.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs