Current Affairs 9th December 2021, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2021: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 4-5 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2021.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2021, Daily GK Update 2021. All the important updates based on current affairs 2021 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2021 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2020 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2021 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2021.
Olaf Scholz appointed as Germany’s new chancellor
- Social Democratic Party of Germany leader, Olaf Scholz has sworn as the new Chancellor of Germany, replacing Angela Merkel’s 16-year reign.
- Scholz, 63, Germany’s vice-chancellor and finance minister since 2018, brings a wealth of experience and discipline to an untried coalition of his centre-left Social Democrats, the environmentalist Greens and the pro-business Free Democrats.
- Capital: Berlin
- Currency: Euro
- President: Frank-Walter Steinmeier
Asia Power Index 2021: India ranked as 4th most Powerful Country in Asia
- As per the Lowy Institute Asia Power Index 2021, India Ranked 4th most powerful country in Asia for comprehensive power out of 26 countries, with an overall score of 37.7 out of 100.
- The top 10 countries for overall power in the Asia-Pacific region are the US, China, Japan, India, Russia, Australia, South Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand.
- India’s overall score declined by 2 points compared to 2020. India again falls short of the major power threshold in 2021. India is one of 18 countries in Asia to trend downward in its overall score in 2021.
Lowy Institute Asia Power Index 2021:
|Rank||Country||Score out of 100|
|1||United States (US)||82.2|
Forbes’ 2021 World’s 100 Most Powerful Women: FM Nirmala Sitharaman ranked 37th; Nykaa’s Falguni Nayar ranked 88th
- Finance Minister of India, Nirmala Sitharaman has ranked 37th on the Forbes’ list of the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women 2021 or 18th Edition of Forbes’ list of the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women.
- She has been featured on the list for the 3rd year in a row. She was ranked 41st on the list in 2020 and 34th in 2019.
- India’s seventh woman billionaire and the wealthiest self-made billionaire, Falguni Nayar, founder and CEO, Nykaa was ranked 88th on the list. Only 4 Indian Women ranked in Forbes 2021 World’s 100 Most Powerful Women List.
Other Indian women on the list:
- Roshni Nadar Malhotra, Chairperson of the HCL Technology, was ranked 52nd on the list.
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, executive chairperson and founder of Biocon was ranked 72nd.
|1||MacKenzie Scott||United States|
|2||Kamala Harris||United States|
|4||Mary Barra||United States|
|5||Melinda French Gates||United States|
Banking and Financial
Fitch Ratings slashed India’s FY22 GDP growth forecast to 8.4%
- On 8th December 2021, Fitch Ratings slashed India’s economic growth forecast in the financial year 2021-22 (FY22) to 8.4 percent and raised the growth projection to 10.3 percent for FY23, compared to October 2021 rating projections of 8.7 percent (FY22) and 10 percent (FY23).
- In the December report, India’s GDP grew 11.4 percent in the Q2 FY22 over April-June quarter of FY22 on a seasonally adjusted basis. The economy has contracted 4 percent in the April-June quarter in FY22 over the fourth quarter of FY21.
- Indian economy had contracted by 7.3 percent in FY21 due to COVID-19. The rating agency has expected the headline inflation to average 4.9 percent in 2022 and 2 percent in 2023, from 5 percent in 2021.
Note: India GDP projected FY22 (2021-2022)
- Word Bank-3%
- Brickwork Ratings: 10-10.5%
- Goldman Sachs: 9.1%
SBI signed MoU with Kendriya Sainik Board
- State Bank of India (SBI) will sign an MoU with Kendriya Sainik Board to support and educate the children of war veterans, ex-servicemen, and war widows.
- India’s largest bank said it will provide a grant of ₹1,000 per month to 8,333 war veterans’. The bank has contributed ₹10 crores to the Armed Forces Flag Day Fund. The Armed Forces Flag Day is celebrated on December 7.
About State Bank of India (SBI):
- Founded: 1 July 1955
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara
- SBI MDs: Ashwani Bhatia, C.S. Setty, Swaminathan Janakiraman, and Ashwini Kumar Tewari
City Union Bank & NPCI launched ‘On-the-Go’ wearable keychain
- City Union Bank (CUB), in collaboration with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and its manufacturing partner Seshaasai, has announced the launch of RuPay On-the-Go contactless wearable keychain for its debit card customers.
- This contactless wearable keychain will be part of their daily lifestyle and enable customers to tap and make cashless payments securely.
- This On-the-Go solution allows the bank’s customers to carry payment cards on their keychains, making for fast and convenient payments up to ₹5,000 at all Rupay-enabled point of sale devices (PoS) without entering a PIN.
About City Union Bank:
- Founded: 1904
- Headquarters: Kumbakonam
- CEO: N. Kamakodi
Appointment and Resignation
Sunil Arora joined Advisory board of international democracy body IDEA
- Former chief election commissioner (CEC) of India, Sunil Arora, has joined the board of advisers of the International Institute for Democracy & Electoral Assistance (IDEA).
- Sunil Arora was the 23rd chief election commissioner of India. His tenure was from December 2, 2018, to April 12, 2021. IDEA is an inter-governmental organization, based in Stockholm.
- IDEA has a 15-member board of advisers, all of whom are eminent personalities from a wide variety of backgrounds.
About International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance:
- Founded:27 February 1995
- Headquarters: Stockholm, Sweden
- Secretary-General:Kevin Casas-Zamora
Farhan Akhtar appointed brand ambassador of Piramal Realty
- Piramal Realty, the real estate arm of the Piramal Group, has roped in actor Farhan Akhtar as a brand ambassador for its portfolio of residential projects in Mumbai and Thane.
- In September, the company had appointed cricketer Rahul Dravid as a brand ambassador for its portfolio of residential projects.
Note: List of brand ambassador
- Century LED’s Magik range: Sourav Ganguly
- GUVI, an IIT-M incubated startup: Smriti Mandhana
- 50th year Celebrations of Arunachal Pradesh: Sanjay Dutt
- UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador for Cultural and Creative Industries: Naomi Kawase
- Kinara Capital: Ravindra Jadeja
- Unix: Jasprit Bumrah
Ashleigh Barty won the WTA Player of the Year award 2021 at WTA Award 2021
- Women’s Tennis Association’s World No.1 Ashleigh Barty, Australian professional tennis player, has won the 2021 WTA Player of the Year Award.
- She won the award for the 2nd Time, previously she won the WTA Player of the year in 2019.
- Emma Raducanu, British professional tennis player who made her Grand Slam main draw debut at 2021 Wimbledon has been named the WTA Newcomer of the Year 2021.
Winners of the 2021 WTA Awards:
|WTA Player of the Year||Ashleigh Barty(Australia)|
|WTA Doubles Team of the Year||Barbora Krejcikova (Czech Republic)
Katerina Siniakova (Czech Republic)
|WTA Most Improved Player of the Year||Barbora Krejcikova (Czech Republic)|
|WTA Newcomer of the Year||Emma Raducanu (United Kingdom)|
|WTA Comeback Player of the Year||Carla Suárez Navarro (Spain)|
About Women’s Tennis Association (WTA):
- Founded: 1973
- Headquarters: Florida, United States of America (USA)
- Chairman & CEO: Steve Simon
- President: Micky Lawler
DRDO test-fired air version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Sukhoi 30 MK-I aircraft
- India successfully test-fired the air version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from the integrated test range of Chandipur, off the coast of Odisha. The air version of the missile was test-fired from supersonic fighter aircraft Sukhoi 30 MK-I.
- BrahMos is a joint venture between DRDO (India) and NPO Mashinostroyeniya (Russia) for the development, production, and marketing of the supersonic cruise missile which has been inducted into the Indian Armed Forces.
- The missile derives its name from the rivers of Brahmaputra in India and Moskva in Russia.
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
- Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
- Chairman:G Satheesh Reddy
Launch Missile with range by DRDO IN NEWS
- “Prithvi II”-350 Km
- “K-4 nuclear”-3500Km
- “Nirbhay”: 1500Km
- Agni P Ballistic Missile: 1000 to 2000KM
- ‘Akash-NG’: 60 KM
- Agni-5: 5000 KM
A joint military exercise PANEX-21 with BIMSTEC countries will be held in Pune
- The Indian Army is organising a multi-nation Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Exercise with a special focus on relief in the backdrop of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The exercise has been called PANEX 21 and will involve Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, and India—BIMSTEC countries.
- The aim of the exercise is to foster joint planning and build regional cooperation for responding to natural disasters. PANEX 21 is planned to be conducted at Pune from Dec 20-22.
Note: Some Important Exercise:
- KAZIND: India and Kazakhstan
- Dharma Guardian: India and Japan
- Shinyu Maitri: India and Japan
- JIMEX: Indian and Japanese
- Dustlik: India-Uzbekistan
Book and Author
Bala Krishna Madhur’s Autobiography titled ‘At Home In The Universe’ released
- An autobiography titled ‘At Home In The Universe’ by Bala Krishna Madhur was released by R.C. Sinha, IAS (Rtd), advisor to the Ministry of Road Development in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
The book is the autobiography of B K Madhur, a former Chief Executive Officer at DHFL Property Services Ltd, and one of the key personalities in establishing Dewan Housing.
- The book offers an inside view into the policy environment in the 1980s and 1990s in the Housing Finance Sector. The book consists of early life hardships, experience and life lessons of the author.
9 December: International Anti-Corruption Day
- International Anti-Corruption Day is observed on December 9 every year to raise awareness on the importance of getting rid of corruption.
- Corruption affects every area in our society and preventing corruption unlocks progress towards sustainable development goals.
- The United Nations took its first step to fight against International Corruption in December 2003. The UNCAC United Nations Convention Against Corruption was drafted on October 31, 2003.
- Theme 2021: “Your right, your role: say no to corruption”
9 December: International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime
- The International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime is observed annually on December 9.
- It is observed to raise awareness about genocide and the role of the United Nations’ Genocide Convention in preventing it.
- On 9 December 1948, the UN General Assembly adopted the Convention on Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, also known as the Genocide Convention.
World’s Oldest Test Cricketer, Eileen Ash passed away
- World’s oldest Test Cricketer, former English legend, Eileen Ash passed away at the age of
- The right-arm seamer made her debut to the national side in 1937 against Australia and in a career spanning till 1949, she took 10 wickets in the seven matches she played.
- Eileen Ash was given the honour of ringing the bell at Lord’s in the Finals of the 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup where the host, England have crowned the champions after beating India in a thrilling Finals.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs