Daily Current Affairs 15th February 2023 Daily GK Update
Daily current affairs are extremely important for competitive exams because they help candidates stay updated on the latest events and developments in the world. This knowledge is essential for answering questions in the general awareness or current affairs section of the exam, which is often included in many competitive exams such as UPSC, SSC, Bank Exams, etc. Additionally, having a good understanding of current affairs can also help candidates in other sections of the exam, such as reasoning, English, and quantitative aptitude. In short, staying updated on current affairs is crucial for performing well in competitive exams and increasing the chances of success.
India’s 1st National Metro Rail Knowledge Centre to be built in Delhi
- A leading infrastructure company in India, GA Infra Pvt Ltd has been awarded the contract for designing and constructing the country’s first National Metro Rail Knowledge Centre.
- Near a projected cost of Rs 460 million, the centre will be built under a public-private partnership (PPP) model and would be located at the Vishwavidyalaya Metro Station in Delhi.
- The building is intended to serve as a hub for information and innovation for the Indian Metro train networks. It will give all parties involved a platform for dialogue and collaboration.
Four pilgrim centres in Karnataka selected under PRASHAD Scheme
- The Union government has identified four pilgrim centers for development under the Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASHAD) Scheme in Karnataka.
- Chamundeshwari temple in Mysuru, Sri Madhwa Vana in Udupi district, Papnash temple in Bidar district, and Sri Renuka Yallamma Temple in Saundatti in Belagavi district have been selected under the scheme.
- The heritage sites of Hampi and Mysuru have already been selected under Swadesh Darshan Scheme.
- Capital – Bengaluru
- Chief Minister –Basavaraj Bommai
- Governor – Thawar Chand Gehlot
PM Modi inaugurated Aero India 2023 in Bengaluru
- PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 14th edition of the Aero India show in Bengaluru (Karnataka).
- Aero India 2023 is being organized by the Indian Department of Defense Production from February 13 to 17 at the Yelahanka Air Force Station in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Theme 2023 – The Runway to a Billion Opportunities
- The main objective of the event is to promote indigenous production and exports of aerial platforms and attract foreign investment.
- 98 countries are participating in the event and MoUs worth Rs 75,000 crore are expected to be signed during the event.
- LCA Tejas Mark 1 is the main attraction of these products.
PM Modi in News
- PM Modi inaugurated the first phase of the 1,400 kilometres long Delhi-Mumbai expressway in Rajasthan’s Dausa.
- PM Modi inaugurated first phase of Delhi-Mumbai Expressway
- PM Modi inaugurated Dayanand Saraswati’s 200th birth anniversary eventin New Delhi.
- PM Modi flagged off 2 Vande Bharat Express trains from Mumbai
- PM Modi inaugurated Arabic Academy in Mumbai
Banking and Financial
Paytm launched G20-theme QR Code to celebrate India’s G20 presidency
- Paytm has launched a special G20-theme QR Code to celebrate India’s G20 presidency and the country’s leadership in mobile payments.
- It was launched by Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw during the ‘Digital Payments Utsav’ 2023.
- Under the ‘Digital Payments Utsav’, Paytm is organizing a special drive wherein a branded vehicle will cover various localities across Delhi that have a heavy public presence.
- Paytm has played an important role in the mobile payments revolution in India, as the pioneer of QR code payments.
- The special commemorative QR Code features logos of MeitY’s ‘DigiDhan Mission’, along with those of the G20 2023 and the 75th year of India’s independence.
- Founded – August 2010
- Headquarters – Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Owner – One97 Communications Ltd.
- Founder(s) – Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Appointment and Resignation
Mohammad Shahabuddin elected as new President of Bangladesh
- Awami League party nominee, Mohammad Shahabuddin has been elected as the 22nd president of Bangladesh.
- He will replace incumbent President Mohammad Abdul Hamid, the longest-serving president of the country.
- Hamid was elected Bangladesh President in the last two elections. He was sworn in for his second term on April 24, 2018. According to Bangladesh’s constitution, an individual cannot hold a third term as president.
- He was the only candidate to file his nomination after the time for nomination and withdrawal was over.
- Capital– Dhaka
- Currency – Taka
- President – Mohammad Shahabuddin
- Prime Minister – Sheikh Hasina
Newly Appointed Prime Minister & President
- President of Cyprus – Nikos Christodoulides
- First female PM of Equatorial Guinea – Manuela Roka Botey
- President of the Czech Republic – Petr Pavel (Former Chairman of NATO)
- Prime Minister of New Zealand – Chris Hipkins
- Deputy Prime Minister of New Zealand – Carmel Sepuloni
Angela Merkel awarded UNESCO Peace Prize in Ivory Coast
- Former German chancellor Angela Merkel has been awarded the Felix Houphouet-Boigny UNESCO Peace Prize in Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast.
- Merkel is a German former politician and scientist who served as Chancellor of Germany from 2005 to 2021.
- Her selfless choice in 2015 to accept more than 1.2 million refugees, particularly those from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Eritrea, moved every jury member.
- She implemented a “open-door” refugee policy in Germany by allowing more than 1.2 million migrants to enter in Germany between 2015-2016.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Award – Journalist A.B.K. Prasad
- Golden Book Awards 2023 – Rakhi Kapoor (For – Now You Breathe)
- Hurun India award 2023 – VP Nandakumar (MD & CEO of Manappuram Finance Ltd.)
- Mathrubhumi Book of The Year’ award 2023 – Peggy Mohan
- Lifetime Achievement Honour in UK – Former Indian PM Manmohan Singh
- FIH President’s Award 2023 – V Karthikeyan Pandian (Odisha)
Subhash Chandran won Kerala’s Akbar Kakkattil award for ‘Samudrasila’
- Writer Subhash Chandran’s novel Samudrashila has been chosen for the Akbar Kakkattil Award instituted by a trust in the memory of the short story writer and novelist from Kozhikode.
- The novel was selected by a three-member jury from among the literary works published in the last five years.
- The award consisting of Rs 50,000 and a sculpture will be presented to Subhash Chandran by writer M. Mukundan at an event on 17 February.
- Akbar Kakkattil was an Indian short-story writer and novelist from Kerala state and has received the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award twice.
- FIH President’s Award 2023 – V Karthikeyan Pandian (Odisha)
- First Asian to bag Oscar nomination for Best Actress – Michelle Yeoh (Film – Everything Everywhere All at Once)
- Subhash Chandra Bose Disaster Management Award 2023 – Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) & Lunglei Fire Station (LFS)
- Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr. Prabha Atre
- Gaja Capital Business Book Prize 2022 – Harish Damodaran
Haryana Police received Prestigious President’s Colour Award
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah has presented the President’s Colour award to Haryana Police in recognition of its exceptional service.
- Shah presents the President’s Colour on behalf of President Droupadi Murmu.
- The President’s Colour is a special flag given to a military, paramilitary or police unit as a mark of recognition for its services.
- A replica of the flag presented to the unit can be worn as an insignia by all officers and ranks of the force on their uniform.
- Uttar Pradesh Police was the first state police force to receive the award from then-Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in 1952.
- Capital – Chandigarh
- Chief Minister – Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor – Bandaru Dattatreya
Real Madrid defeated Al Hilal to win record fifth Club World Cup title
- Real Madrid has won the Club World Cup 2023 for a record-extending fifth time in the final held in the Abdellah stadium, Rabat, Morocco.
- Real Madrid has defeated Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal by 5-3.
- It won the tournament in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Madrid also won three Intercontinental Cups in 1960, 1998 and 2002; a match between European and South American champions, which merged with the Club World Cup in 2005.
Eoin Morgan announced his retirement from all forms of cricket
- Former England captain Eoin Morgan has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- Morgan captained the ODI World Cup played in England in the year 2019 and won his team the title. He also became the first captain to win the ODI World Cup for England.
- He is England’s leading run-scorer with 6957 runs in 225 ODIs with 13 hundred and the most successful captain in ODIs, with 76 wins from 126 matches.
- Previously, he retired from international cricket in July 2022.
- Born in Dublin, Morgan made his ODI debut for England in 2009 at the age of 16 against Ireland.
Recently Retired Players
- Kamran Akmal – All forms of professional cricket – Pakistan
- Aaron Finch – International Cricket – Australia
- Raphael Varane – International football – France
- Joginder Sharma – All forms of cricket – India
- Murali Vijay – All forms of international cricket – India
- Hashim Amla – – International Cricket – South Africa
- Hugo Lloris – International football – France
- Gareth Bale – International football – Wales
- Sania Mirza – International Tennis – India
- Farhaan Behardien – International Cricket – South African
Shubman Gill named ICC Players of the Month for January 2023
- India batter Shubman Gill has been named ICC Men’s Player of the Month for January 2023.
- Gill was the top contender in the shortlist With 567 runs during January, which included three century-plus scores, and the 23-year-old batter expectedly won the award.
- While England’s U-19 skipper Grace Scrivens was named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month and became the youngest player to be named for the women’s honor.
- She was named for her performance in the ICC U-19 Women’s T20 World Cup 2023.
ICC Men’s Player of the Month
- August 2022- Sikandar Raza (Zimbabwe)
- September 2022- Mohammed Rizwan (Pakistan)
- October 2022– Virat Kohli (India)
- November 2022 – Jos Buttler (England)
- December 2022 – Harry Brook (England)
- January 2023 – Shubman Gill (India)
ICC Women’s Player of the Month
- August 2022- Tahlia McGrath (Australia)
- September 2022- Harmanpreet Kaur (India)
- October 2022 – Nida Dar (Pakistan)
- November 2022 – Sidra Ameen (Pakistan)
- December 2022 – Ashleigh Gardner (Australia)
- January 2023 – Grace Scrivens (England)
13 February 2023 – International Epilepsy Day
- International Epilepsy Day is observed every year on the second Monday of February and this year day falls on the 13 February.
- Objective – To raise awareness of Epilepsy and its impact on individuals & communities around the world.
- International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE) and the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) to raise awareness about epilepsy.
- Epilepsy is a nervous disorder that affects brain activity.
Noted painter Lalitha Lajmi passed away
- Noted painter Lalitha Lajmi passed away at the age of 90.
- She was sister of late actor-filmmaker Guru Dutt
- She has held several exhibitions in international art galleries in Paris, London and the Netherlands.
- Lalita made a small appearance in the 2007 film Taare Zameen Par, starring Aamir Khan, in which she played an art teacher.
- She was also fond of classical dance.