Daily Current Affairs 21st February 2023 Daily GK Update
Daily current affairs are extremely important for competitive exams because they help candidates stay updated on the latest events and developments in the world. This knowledge is essential for answering questions in the general awareness or current affairs section of the exam, which is often included in many competitive exams such as UPSC, SSC, Bank Exams, etc. Additionally, having a good understanding of current affairs can also help candidates in other sections of the exam, such as reasoning, English, and quantitative aptitude. In short, staying updated on current affairs is crucial for performing well in competitive exams and increasing the chances of success.
LG Manoj Sinha inaugurated 33rd Police-Public Mela in Jammu
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has inaugurated the 33rd Police-Public Mela at Jammu.
- The Police-Public Mela has emerged as a powerful platform for police officers and public to interact and celebrate the shared heritage.
- The fair is being organised by the Jammu and Kashmir Police Wives Welfare Association (JKPWWA).
- The LG also paid tributes to the martyrs of J&K Police who devoted their lives to serving and protecting the nation.
UAE and India launch the UAE Chapter of the Business Council
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and India have launched the UAE India Business Council – UAE Chapter (UIBCUC) to strengthen economic ties and support their joint mission to increase bilateral trade and investment.
- His Excellency Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, UAE Minister of State for Foreign Trade, launched the UAE India Business Council – UAE Chapter (UIBC-UC) in Dubai.
- It was launched on the first anniversary of the signing of the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) by Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, UAE Minister of State for Foreign Trade in Dubai.
About United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Capital – Abu Dhabi
- Currency – Dirham
- President – Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Prime Minister – Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
North India’s first nuclear power plant to be set up in Gorakhpur, Haryana
- Union Minister of Science and Technology, Jitendra Singh has announced that North India’s first nuclear power plant would be set up in Gorakhpur in Fatehabad district, Haryana.
- The first phase will be completed by 2025 and the second by 2028.
- As the second phase completes, the plant will be fully operational to generate 2800 MW.
- The project will be built at an estimated cost of Rs 20,594 crores.
- Capital – Chandigarh
- Chief Minister – Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor – Bandaru Dattatreya
MEA launched ‘mPassport Police App’ to expedite police verification
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has launched the ‘mPassport Police App’ to expedite the process of police verification of passport issuance.
- It was launched by Union Home Minister Amit Shah during the 76th Raising Day Parade of Delhi Police.
- Shah also dedicated 350 mobile tablets to the personnel of the Special Branch of Delhi Police.
- The process of verification using tablets is slated to reduce the verification time from 15 days to five days, which will be a great step towards improving citizen services. This would effectively reduce the passport issuance timeline by 10 days.
Parshottam Rupala launched Sagar Parikrama Phase-III from Hazira Port
- Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying Parshottam Rupala launched the Sagar Parikrama Phase-Ill from Hazira Port, Gujarat.
- The importance of fisheries sector in rural and marine economy, the government has accorded top priority for the development of fisheries sector.
- The exports of the fisheries and allied sector have increased to 57 thousand crore rupees.
- It started towards the coastal line of Maharashtra at Satpati, Vasai, Versova, and Parikrama and ended at Sasson Dock, Mumbai.
- It also aimed to promote responsible fisheries and protect marine ecosystems.
First PMGati Shakti Workshop for Western & Central Zone held in Goa
- The first PM Gati Shakti regional workshop for the Western and Central Zone was held in Goa.
- The workshop featured discussions on use cases of National Master Plan (NMP) adoption by Central Ministries & State Departments for planning and acted as a platform for mutual learning among the States and Central Ministries/Departments.
- The scheme incorporates the infrastructure schemes of various Ministries and State Governments and was launched on 13 October 2021 by PM Modi.
- Capital – Panaji
- Chief Minister – Pramod Sawant
- Governor – S. Sreedharan Pillai
Appointment and Resignation
Ayushmann Khurrana named UNICEF’s National Ambassador for Child Rights
- Bollywood Actor Ayushmann Khurrana has been appointed as the National Ambassador of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) India.
- The 38-year-old actor had earlier served as UNICEF India’s Celebrity Advocate for ending violence against children and the broader child rights agenda.
- Khurrana will support UNICEF in ensuring rights of every child “to survive, thrive, be protected as well as promoting their voice and agency in decisions that concern them.
About United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Founded – 1946
- Headquarters – New York City, USA
- Director General – Catherine M. Russell
- Membership – 192
Recent Brand Ambassador
- Yastika Bhatia & Renuka Singh Thakur – Hyundai Motor India Ltd
- Harmanpreet Kaur – Puma India
- Nikhat Zareen – NMDC (National miner company)
- Smriti Mandhana – Herbalife Nutrition
- Sourav Ganguly – Jahaan Bandhan, Wahaan Trust campaign (Bandhan Bank)
- Anushka Sharma – Puma India
BVR Subrahmanyam appointed new CEO of NITI Aayog
- The Appointment Committee of the Union Cabinet has approved the appointment of BVR Subrahmanyam, IAS (Retd.) as the new Chief Executive Officer of NITI Aayog.
- Subrahmanyam will replace Parameswaran Iyer who is appointed as Executive Director, World Bank Headquarters, Washington DC, USA.
- Subrahmanyam is a 1987-batch IAS officer of the Chhattisgarh cadre and hails from Andhra Pradesh. The officer was appointed as private secretary between 2004 and 2008 to then-Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India)
- Founded – 1st January 2015
- Preceding – Planning Commission (15th March 1950)
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Chairperson – Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairperson – Suman K Bery
- CEO – BVR Subrahmanyam
- NITI Aayog comes under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- MD of Jaguar Land Rover India – VP Rajan Amba
- Vice Chief of Army -MV Suchindra Kumar
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of YouTube – Indian-American Neil Mohan
- President of the Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) – Aniket Sunil Talati
- World’s Brightest’ student – Indian-American student Natasha Perianayagam
- Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) – Dr. Rajeev Singh
Karthik Subramaniam won National Geographic’s ‘pictures of the year’
- Indian-origin photographer Karthik Subramaniam has topped National Geographic’s ‘Photo of the Year’ contest 2023 beating over 5000 entries.
- His photograph, titled “Dance of the Eagles”, was taken at the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve in Alaska and will be the cover page of the May edition of National Geographic.
- The award was presented to him for a striking picture of an eagle struggling to settle on a tree branch.
- The title of the picture is inspired by RRR Martin’s popular novel ‘A Dance with Dragons’.
- Hurun India award 2023 – VP Nandakumar (MD & CEO of Manappuram Finance Ltd.)
- Mathrubhumi Book of The Year’ award 2023 – Peggy Mohan
- Lifetime Achievement Honour in UK – Former Indian PM Manmohan Singh
- FIH President’s Award 2023 – V Karthikeyan Pandian (Odisha)
- First Asian to bag Oscar nomination for Best Actress – Michelle Yeoh (Film – Everything Everywhere All at Once)
Poet V Madhusoodanan Nair received Jnanappana Award 2023
- A noted writer V Madhusoodanan Nair has been received for Jnanappana Puraskaram 2023 for his contribution to the field of literature.
- The award consists of a Rs 50,001 cash prize, 10-gram gold locket with an image of Sree Guruvayoorappan, a citation, and a memento.
- The award will be presented on February 24, when the devaswom celebrates the birthday of Poonthanam.
- This award was instituted by Guruvayur Devaswom in memory of ‘Poonthanam Namboothiri’, the ardent devotee of Guruvayoorappan, who wrote Jnanappana.
- First Shane Warne Men’s Test Player of the Year award – Usman Khawaja
- Kerala’s Akbar Kakkattil award – Subhash Chandran (for Samudrasila novel)
- UNESCO Peace Prize in Ivory Coast – Angela Merkel
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Award – Journalist A.B.K. Prasad
- Golden Book Awards 2023 – Rakhi Kapoor (For – Now You Breathe)
Austin Butler won the Best Actor award at the 76th BAFTA Awards
- The 76th British Academy Film Awards, BAFTA Awards, were announced at an event held in London’s Royal Festival Hall.
- Austin Butler won the 76th British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) Awards 2023 in the Best Leading Actor category for Elvis.
- Cate Blanchett won the Best Leading Actress Award for her performance in TAR.
- A German anti-war drama, ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ won a maximum of seven awards including Best Film and Director.
- This movie is a screen adaptation of the 1928 novel by Erich Maria Remarque.
- The Banshees of Inisherin’ and ‘Elvis’ both movies won four BAFTA awards.
India & Japan’s joint military exercise ‘Dharma Guardian’ begins
- India – Japan joint training exercise “Dharma Guardian” will be conducted at Camp Imazu in the Shiga province of Japan from 17 February – 2 March.
- It is the 4th edition of the joint military exercise “Dharma Guardian” between India and Japan.
- Soldiers from the Garhwal Rifles Regiment of the Indian Army and an infantry regiment from the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) are participating in the exercise.
- 6th edition of the joint exercise TARKASH’ concluded in Chennai by the National Security Guard (NSG) and the US Special Operations Force (SOF).
- Indan Army, IAF, and CAPFs conducted joint training exercise “Exercise Trishakti Prahar” in North Bengal.
- The Indian Navy organized mega biennial tri-services amphibious ‘exercise AMPHEX 2023’ near Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh.
- Indian Army and Egyptian Army have commenced Exercise Cyclone-I, the first-ever joint exercise between their special forces at Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.
- The 21st edition of the bilateral naval exercise between India and France titled ‘Varuna’ began on the western seaboard.
19th February – Soil Health Card Day
- India celebrated the 8th edition of Soil Health Card Day on 19 February 2023 to commemorate the launch of the Soil Health Card Scheme
- Objective – To remember the beginning of the Soil Health Card (SHC) Scheme and to raise awareness of its advantages.
- Every two years, all farmers are to receive soil health cards as part of the programme.
- The Soil Health Card (SHC) Scheme was introduced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 19, 2015, at Suratgarh, Rajasthan.
- It provides information to farmers on the nutrient status of their soil along with recommendations on appropriate dosages of nutrients to be applied for improving soil health.