Daily Current Affairs 25th and 26th February 2023 Daily GK Update
Daily current affairs are extremely important for competitive exams because they help candidates stay updated on the latest events and developments in the world. This knowledge is essential for answering questions in the general awareness or current affairs section of the exam, which is often included in many competitive exams such as UPSC, SSC, Bank Exams, etc. Additionally, having a good understanding of current affairs can also help candidates in other sections of the exam, such as reasoning, English, and quantitative aptitude. In short, staying updated on current affairs is crucial for performing well in competitive exams and increasing the chances of success.
The Maharaja Sayajirao University to host Youth 20 India Summit
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University hosted the Y20 India Summit under the aegis of India’s G20 Presidency, focusing on the theme of climate change and environmental conservation.
- The conference, which was to be inaugurated by Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel, saw only incumbent Sayajigunj MLA and Mayor Keyur Rokadia in attendance, stirring controversy in the university.
- More than 600 delegates from 62 countries participated to discuss ‘Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction: Making sustainability a Way of Life’.
G20 in News (Note – All Meetings are Under the Presidency of G20 by India)
- First meeting of Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) – Bengaluru (24 -25 February 2023)
- G20 Global Tech Summit (GTS) – Visakhapatnam (16 – 17 February 2023)
- First G20 Culture Working Group Meeting – Khajuraho, MP (22 – 25 February 2023).
- First Agriculture Deputies Meeting of the Agriculture Working Group – Indore (14 February 2023)
- Digital economy working group meeting – Lucknow (13 February 2023)
IRCTC to operate Baba Saheb Ambedkar Yatra tour package in April 2023
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) will be operating Baba Saheb Ambedkar Yatra tour pack–age under “Dekho Apna Desh” initiative, covering some of the prominent sites associated with the life of Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar.
- The First Journey of the Baba Saheb Ambedkar Yatra will be from New Delhi in April 2023.
- Under “Dekho Apna Desh” initiative, the Ministry of Railways along with the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), is operating Bharat Gaurav Tourist Trains on various theme-based circuits across India.
- Baba Saheb Ambedkar, fondly referred to as “Baba Saheb”, was the main architect of the Indian Constitution. Besides he was also an eminent jurist, political activist, anthropologist, author, orator, historian, writer, economist and scholar.
- Ambedkar, throughout his life, fought to eradicate social evils like untouchability and stood up for the rights of the socially backward classes. The tour, Baba Saheb Ambedkar Yatra, designed by IRCTC, aims to highlight the places and destinations, connected with the life of Ambedkar.
Auckland University signed MoU with Tata Memorial Hospital for cancer care
- The University of Auckland has signed an MoU with Tata Memorial Hospital (TMH) Mumbai to engage in long-term cooperation in cancer care.
- Tata Memorial Hospital is the largest and the most renowned cancer care hospital and research centre in India.
- The MoU aims to include a digital platform for clinical trials to track study-related activities for patients, investigators, and regulators in cancer treatment care.
- India signed MoU with South Africa for cooperation in the Disability Sector
- India signed MoU with Chile for cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied sectors.
- India & South Africa signed MoU to introduce 12 African Cheetahs
- India’s Ministry of Culture signed MoU with the Government of Egypt to strengthen cultural ties.
- Indian High Commission signed MoU to establish Hindi Chair at Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
PM Modi praised Healthy Baby show campaign being organized across Secunderabad Parliament Constituency
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has praised the “Healthy Baby” show campaign being organized across Secunderabad Parliament Constituency.
- The programme was initiated with the distribution of enrollment forms for the “Healthy Baby Show” in every basti, every colony and society of Secunderabad Parliament Constituency.
- The healthy children and their families are being felicitated with certificates and ‘Poshan Kits’.
PM Modi in News
- PM Modi inaugurated ‘Barisu Kannada Dim Dimava’ cultural festival at Talkatora Stadium, New Delhi.
- PM Modi chaired the 41st edition PRAGATI Interaction meeting
- PM Modi virtually inaugurated the Jal Jan Abhiyan in Abu Road in Sirohi district of Rajasthan.
- PM Modi inaugurated national 15th edition of Aadi Mahotsa in New Delhi
- PM Modi inaugurated the 14th edition of the Aero India show in Bengaluru, Karnataka
Gujarat Assembly passed a bill to stop paper leak in recruitment exams
- With the objective of curbing paper leaks in government recruitment exams, the Gujarat Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed a Bill that provides for up to 10 years in prison for such malpractices.
- As per the provisions of the bill, the accused shall also be liable for fine which shall not be less than Rs 10 lakh, which may extend to Rs 1 crore.
- The bill is aimed at curbing “unfair means” which include to leak or attempt to leak a question paper, procure a question paper in an unauthorized manner, and to solve such a paper in an unauthorized manner.
- Unfair means also include an act of assisting an examinee during examination for monetary gains.
- Any examinee (candidate appearing for an exam) indulging in unfair means shall be punished with imprisonment up to three years, and shall also be liable for a fine of not less than Rs one lakh.
- The Gujarat Public Examination (Prevention of Unfair Means) Bill, 2023, was tabled by state home minister Harsh Sanghavi.
- Capital- Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister- Bhupendra Rajnikant Patel
- Governor- Acharya Devvrat
Amit Shah addressed ‘Kol Janjati Mahakumbh’ at Satna, Madhya Pradesh
- Union Home Minister and Minister of Cooperation, Amit Shah addressed the ‘Kol Janjati Mahakumbh’ organized on the occasion of Shabri Mata Janm Jayanti at Satna, Madhya Pradesh.
- He also laid the foundation stone of 70 development works worth Rs 507 crore in Satna.
- The Kol tribes mainly inhabit the Bundelkhand and Baghelkhand regions of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. Kol community had very significant contribution in the freedom movement.
- The government led by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is establishing tribal freedom fighters museum across the country at a cost of Rs 200 crore, the bravery of 1831’s Kol rebel is engraved in all the museums.
Om Birla inaugurated 19th Annual Zone III CPA Conference in Sikkim
- Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla has inaugurated the 19th Annual Zone III Conference of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) India Region in Gangtok, Sikkim.
- The Zone III of the CPA India region is an important platform where legislators of the North Eastern region discuss many subjects and issues and arrive at common solutions.
- The joint effort of legislatures of the North Eastern Region has led to a huge change in the economic and social life of the region.
World Book Fair 2023 begins in New Delhi
- The 9-day mega book fair will be held from 25th February to 5th March 2023 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- It is being organized by the National Book Trust, an autonomous organization of the Government of India under the Ministry of Education, in collaboration with India Trade Promotion Organization.
- The book display will also include titles on topics such as history, art, and culture.
- The theme for this year’s NDWBF 2023 is ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- It is dedicated to the people of India for creating a platform that promotes progressive ideas about the country’s socio-cultural, political, and economic identity.
Union government approved renaming of Aurangabad & Osmanabad
- The Union government has approved the renaming of Maharashtra’s Aurangabad city as ‘Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar’ and that of Osmanabad city as Dharashiv.
- Aurangabad derives its name from the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, while Osmanabad was named for a 20th-century ruler of the princely state of Hyderabad.
- Chhatrapati Sambhaji, the eldest son of warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, was the second ruler of the Maratha state founded by his father. Sambhaji Maharaj was executed on Aurangzeb’s orders in 1689.
- Dharashiv, the name of a cave complex near Osmanabad, dates back to the 8th century as per some scholars.
- Capital – Mumbai
- Chief Minister – Eknath Sindhe
- Governor – Ramesh Bais
Banking and Financial
Saraswat Bank partnered with Tagit to deploy omnichannel banking
- Saraswat Bank has partnered with Singapore-based digital banking solutions provider Tagit to implement omnichannel digital banking solutions for its retail and corporate customers.
- Under the agreement, the bank will use Tagit’s Mobeix Digital Banking platform to enhance customer experience by offering a comprehensive set of digital services securely, anytime, anywhere.
- This will increase the market reach, faster time-to-market and enhance customer engagement.
Recent MoUs Signed in Banking Sector
- ICICI Bank signed MoU with BNP Paribas for providing financial service
- HDFC Bank partnered with NIIT Limited for building pipeline of High-Quality
- SBI General Insurance partnered with HP Police and Doers NGO to reduce the number of traffic accidents
- South Indian Bank partnered with SAIL to provide financial assistance to the dealers of SAIL
- Axis Bank signed MoU with IISc Bengaluru to set up Centre for Mathematics and Computing
Appointment and Resignation
Aramane Giridhar gets extension as Defence Secretary
- Defence Secretary Aramane Giridhar has been given extension in service till October 2024.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved his extension in service as Secretary, Department of Defence, beyond the age of superannuation for a period upto 31st of October, 2024.
- Giridhar is a 1988-batch Indian Administrative Service officer of the Andhra Pradesh cadre.
- Secretary of Department of School Education – Sanjay Kumar
- Road and Transport Secretary- Alka Upadhyay
- Corporate Affairs Secretary- Manoj Govil
- Revenue Secretary – Sanjay Malhotra
- National Security Advisors – Ajit Doval
- Cabinet Secretary- Rajiv Gauba
- Principal Secretary to PM – Pramod Kumar Mishra
- Home Secretary- Ajay Kumar Bhalaa
Justice S. Abdul Nazeer sworn-in as Governor of Andhra Pradesh
- Justice (Retd) S Abdul Nazeer was sworn in as the new 24th Governor of Andhra Pradesh.
- Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court Justice Prasanth Kumar Mishra administered the oath office to Nazeer at the Raj Bhavan.
- He succeeded Biswa Bhusan Harichandan, who has been given charge of Chhattisgarh state.
- He is a former judge of the Supreme Court.
- He is also a former judge of the Karnataka High Court.
- Governor of Bihar – Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar (41st)
- Governor of Meghalaya – Phagu Chauhan
- Governor of Arunachal Pradesh – Lt Gen Kaiwalya Trivikram Parnaik (20th)
- Governor of Ladakh – Dr. B D Mishra
- Governor of Jharkhand – C.P. Radhakrishnan (11th)
- Governor of Maharashtra – Ramesh Bais (22nd)
Spain’s Sergio Ramos announced international football retirement
- Spain’s most capped player Sergio Ramos has announced his retirement from international football.
- Ramos, who was part of Spain’s World Cup and Euro winning teams had represented Real Madrid in La Liga and now plays for PSG in Ligue 1.
- Ramos made his Spain debut in 2005.
- He went on to play 180 times for his country, and was part of the squad which won the World Cup in 2010 and the European Championships in 2008 and 2012.
Recently Retired Players
- Eoin Morgan – All forms of cricket – England
- Kamran Akmal – All forms of professional cricket – Pakistan
- Aaron Finch – International Cricket – Australia
- Raphael Varane – International football – France
- Joginder Sharma – All forms of cricket – India
- Murali Vijay – All forms of international cricket – India
- Hashim Amla – – International Cricket – South Africa
- Hugo Lloris – International football – France