Daily Current Affairs 4th and 5th February 2023 Daily GK Update
Daily current affairs are extremely important for competitive exams because they help candidates stay updated on the latest events and developments in the world. This knowledge is essential for answering questions in the general awareness or current affairs section of the exam, which is often included in many competitive exams such as UPSC, SSC, Bank Exams, etc. Additionally, having a good understanding of current affairs can also help candidates in other sections of the exam, such as reasoning, English, and quantitative aptitude. In short, staying updated on current affairs is crucial for performing well in competitive exams and increasing the chances of success.
First tourism working group meeting to be held in Gujarat
- The first Tourism Working Group (TWG) meeting will be held at Dhordo in Rann of Kutch in Gujarat from 7 to 9 February 2023 as part of the G-20.
- Union Minister of Tourism G. Kishan Reddy, Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Parshottam Rupala, and Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel will attend the inaugural session of the meeting on the 8th of February.
- It will focus on Green Tourism, Digitalization, Skills, Tourism MSMEs, and Destination Management.
- The meeting will be attended by officials from G-20 Countries, invited countries, and representatives of various international organizations.
G20 in News (Note – All Meetings are Under the Presidency of G20 by India)
- First G-20 Environment Meeting – Bengaluru (9 -11 February 2023)
- First Meeting of the Youth-20 Group – Guwahati (6 – 8 February 2023)
- First Employment Working Group Meeting – Jodhpur (2 – 4 February 2023)
- First G20 Education Working Group meeting – IIT Madras (1 -2 February 2023)
- First International Financial Architecture Working Group Meeting – Chandigarh (30 – 31 January 2023)
Madhya Pradesh renames Bhopal’s Islam Nagar as Jagdishpur
- Madhya Pradesh government has announced that Islam Nagar village located in the Bhopal district has been renamed as Jagdishpur.
- Islam Nagar village is located at a distance of around 12 km from Bhopal and is famous for forts.
- According to certain accounts, the name of Islam Nagar used to be Jagdishpur 308 years ago.
- The iconic Mughal Gardens at the Rashtrapati Bhavan was renamed Amrit Udyan recently.
- According to the Madhya Pradesh Raj Bhavan website, Bhopal was founded in 1724 by Dost Mohammad Khan, an Afghan soldier.
- Dost Mohammad Khan established his capital at Jagdishpur, 10 km from modern Bhopal and named it Islam Nagar (City of Islam).
About Madhya Pradesh
- Capital – Bhopal
- Chief Minister – Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor – Mangubhai C. Patel
India welcomes Congo into International Solar Alliance
- India has welcomed Congo into the International Solar Alliance.
- According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement was signed by Raymond Serge Bell, Ambassador of the Republic of Congo in the presence of the Joint Secretary (Economic Diplomacy).
About International Solar Alliance
- It is a treaty-based intergovernmental organization whose primary function is to promote solar development by reducing the cost of financing and technology.
- It is the nodal agency to implement ‘One Sun, One World, One Grid’.
- It aims to transfer the solar energy generated in a specific region to meet the electricity demand of another region.
- Headquarters – Gurugram, India
About Democratic Republic of Congo
- Capital – Kinshasa
- Currency – Congo franc
Cooperation Ministry signs MoU to enable Primary Agricultural Credit Societies
- The Ministry of Cooperation has signed an MoU with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, NABARD, and CSC e-Governance Services India Limited to enable Primary Agricultural Credit Societies (PACS) to provide services offered by Common Service Centers.
- Union Home Minister and Minister of Cooperation Amit Shah described this agreement as a win-win situation for all.
- He mentioned that this will not only help fulfill Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of ‘Sahkar Se Samridhi’ but also strengthen both cooperatives and farmers.
- This will help in advancing the concept of Common Service Centres to the smallest unit of the country very easily.
- This agreement will enhance the business activities of PACS and help them to become a self-sustaining economic entity.
Anurag Singh Thakur launched mascot, theme song for 3rd edition of Khelo India Winter Games
- Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur and the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Manoj Sinha launched the Mascot, Theme Song, and Jersey for the 3rd edition of Khelo India Winter Games at Raj Bhawan, Jammu.
- The third edition of Khelo India Winter Games is scheduled to be held from February 10 to 14 and is supported by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- It is being organized by the Jammu and Kashmir Sports Council as well as the Winter Games Association of Jammu and Kashmir.
- About one thousand 500 athletes from all over the country will participate in these games.
- The Khelo India Winter Games is a part of the Khelo India campaign, a vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to encourage youth towards sports and make India an emerging soft sports power on the global stage.
- The first edition of the Khelo India Winter Games took place in 2020 and hosts Jammu and Kashmir have topped both editions of the Games so far.
Recent Inauguration by Anurag Thakur
- Anurag Thakur launched the themes of the Y20 summit, logo, and website
- Anurag Singh Thakur inaugurated the Sports Science Centre in Udupi, Karnataka.
- Anurag Singh Thakur launched new dashboard for Khelo India
- Anurag Thakur inaugurated the National Level Kabaddi Championship in Udupi in Karnataka.
- Anurag Thakur unveiled FIH Hockey World Cup 2023 trophy in New Delhi
Government approved conversion of Rs 16,133 crore interest dues of Vodafone Idea into equity
- The government has approved the conversion of ₹16,133 crore interest dues of Vodafone Idea into equity.
- The relief for the company comes as part of the reforms package announced by the government in September 2021.
- With this conversion, the government is expected to become the largest shareholder in the loss-making telecom company with 33.14 percent stake.
- Vodafone Idea will issue equity shares at face value of Rs 10 each to the government.
PM Modi emerged as world’s most popular leader, with approval rating of 78%
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emerged as the world’s most popular leader with an approval rating of 78 percent.
- This was revealed in a Global Leader Approval Ratings released by a US-based consulting firm Morning Consult.
- Prime Minister Modi has left behind world leaders in terms of popularity as per the latest rating. These leaders include US President Joe Biden, French President Emmanuel Macron and UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.
Banking and Financial
HDFC Bank partnered with NIIT for building pipeline of High-Quality
- HDFC Bank has partnered with NIIT Limited for the training of skilled Virtual Relationship Management professionals for the banking industry.
- The program is designed to build in-demand and advanced sales skills among the learners which will enable them to acquire new customers for multiple services and products.
- The immersive program is designed to develop a ready-to-deploy pool of skilled Virtual Relationship Managers. The extensive practice on real-life scenarios will equip the new professionals with the advanced sales skills and the confidence required for their job roles in the banking sector.
- Any Graduate/Postgraduate with 0-2 years of experience will be eligible for the program.
- The training will take place virtually using various online collaborative platforms.
- The Post Graduate Program in Virtual Relationship Management will empower learners to start an assured banking career with HDFC Bank and have an opportunity for consistent career growth.
About HDFC Bank
- Founded – August 1994
- Founder – Hasmukhbhai Parekh
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO – Sashidhar Jagdishan
- Tagline – We understand your world
Recent MoUs Signed in Banking Sector
- SBI General Insurance partnered with HP Police and Doers NGO to reduce the number of traffic accidents
- South Indian Bank partnered with SAIL to provide financial assistance to the dealers of SAIL
- Axis Bank signed MoU with IISc Bengaluru to set up Centre for Mathematics and Computing
- Hockey Wali Sarpanch signed an agreement with NABARD to strengthen farmers
- Axis Bank partnered with OPEN to launch a fully digital current account
Appointment and Resignation
V Ramachandra appointed by RBI as member of Advisory Committee of SIFL, SEFL
- The Reserve Bank of India has appointed V Ramachandra (former chief general manager of Canara Bank) as a member of the Advisory Committee of Srei Infrastructure Finance Limited (SIFL) and Srei Equipment Finance Limited (SEFL).
- Consequent upon the resignation of Farokh N Subedar from the Advisory Committee with effect from January 31, 2023, it has been decided to appoint V Ramachandra as a member of the Advisory Committee with immediate effect.
- After superseding the boards of SIFL and SEFL in October 2021, the RBI had appointed a three-member advisory committee to assist the administrator of the two crisis-ridden firms.
- The other two members of the committee are — Venkat Nageshwar Chalasani, former deputy managing director, State Bank of India; and T T Srinivasaraghavan, former managing director, Sundaram Finance Limited.
- The Advisory Committee shall advise the Administrator in the operations of SIFL and SEFL during the corporate insolvency resolution process.
Recent Appointment in Banking Sector
- CEO of JP Morgan Chase & Co (India) – Prabdev Singh
- RBI Deputy Governor – Michael Patra (reappointment)
- MD & CEO of Paytm Payments Bank Limited (PPBL) – Surinder Chawla
- Interim CEO of BharatPe – Nalin Negi
- CEO of Bank of Singapore – Jason Moo
- MD and CEO of the Indian Overseas Bank – Ajay Kumar Srivastava
Sai Sanjay won Indian National Car Racing Championship 2023
- Sai Sanjay has won the National champion in the MRF Formula 2000 class, in the MMSC FMSCI Indian National Car Racing Championship.
- He made his motorsports debut in 2015 and became the Rotax Senior Max UAE vice-champion in 2018.
- In the other championship classes, Viswas Vijayraj won the LGB F1300 National title while veteran Arjun Balu bagged the ITC crown, his 11th National title.
Indian wrestler Aman Sehrawat won bronze medal at Zagreb Open 2023
- Under-23 world champion Aman Sehrawat of India won a bronze medal in the men’s 57kg at the Zagreb Open 2023 Ranking Series in Croatia.
- He defeated USA’s Zane Raye Rhodes Richards 10-4 to win India’s first medal at wrestling competition in 2023.
- Sehrawat had earlier lost in the semi-finals to Japan’s Yuto Nishiuchi 15-5 after overcoming China’s Minghu Liu 8-2 and Georgia’s Roberti Dingashvili 11-8 in the qualification round and quarter-finals, respectively.
Kerala won first National Beach Soccer Championship 2023
- Kerala has won the inaugural National Beach Soccer Championships held at Dumas Beach, Surat.
- Kerala’s goalkeeper Santhosh Kasmeer was awarded the best goalkeeper of the tournament.
- Rajasthan’s Amit Godara was the highest goalscorer, with 27 goals.
- The best player of the tournament was awarded to Kerala’s Siju S.
Joginder Sharma announced his retirement from all forms of cricket
- Former Indian fast bowler, Joginder Sharma has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- The cricketer is known for his exceptional bowling in the T20 World Cup 2007 Final, where India defeated Pakistan to grab the prestigious trophy.
- Joginder Sharma played his first international match in an ODI against Bangladesh in Chattogram in 2004.
- He played eight matches for India, including four ODIs and four T20Is.
- He also played for Chennai Super Kings from 2008 to 2012
- He currently serves as a Deputy superintendent of police in the Haryana Police.
Recently Retired Players
- Murali Vijay – All forms of international cricket – India
- Hashim Amla – – International Cricket – South Africa
- Hugo Lloris – International football – France
- Gareth Bale – International football – Wales
- Sania Mirza – International Tennis – India
- Farhaan Behardien – International Cricket – South African
- Karim Benzema – International football – France
- Ben Stokes – One Day International Cricket – England
- Dinesh Ramdin – International Cricket – West Indies
- Tamim Iqbal – T20 International – Bangladesh
4 February – International Day of Human Fraternity
- International Day of Human Fraternity is observed every year on 4 February.
- The International Day of Human Fraternity recognizes the importance of compassion, religious tolerance, and respect for one another. These values promote peace and bring the human community together.
- International Day of Human Fraternity was instituted to celebrate the historic document titled “Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together”, being signed by the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmad Al-Tayyeb, and Pope Francis on February 4, 2019.
- It was established by the United Nations General Assembly on December 21, 2020.
- Motto: Harmony in difference
Former Law Minister Shanti Bhushan passed away
- Former law minister and veteran lawyer Shanti Bhushan passed away recently at the age of 97.
- He served as the law minister in the Morarji Desai-led Janata Party government from 1977 to 1979, which came to power after the Emergency.
- He was also a founding member of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) which was formed in 2012.
- He was known for his activism and strong stance against corruption.
- Leopoldo Roberto Garcia Pelaez Benitez (Polo Polo) – Mexican comedian
- B.V. Doshi – Renowned Architect
- Ronald E Ashe – A British linguist and educator specializing in Dravidian languages
- Sharad Yadav – Politician
- Tehemton Erach Udwadia – Father of Laparoscopic Surgery in India
- Rehman Rahi – Renowned poet and Kashmir’s first Jnanpith awardee
- Padma Shri awardee Prabhaben Sobhagchand Shah – Social Worker