Daily Current Affairs 5th May 2023 Daily GK Update
Current Affairs quiz 2022, Daily gk updates and Current affairs is playing a major role in any competitive exam. so here we are providing the current affairs quiz on daily basis for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Competitive Examinations.
Here you can find Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB PO Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for IBPS RRB Clerk Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Assistant Mains, Current Affairs Quiz for RBI Grade B, Current Affairs Quiz for SSC.
UGC launches ‘CU-Chayan’ portal for faculty recruitment
- The University Grants Commission has launched a unified recruitment portal, CU-Chayan, for the recruitment of faculty in central universities.
- The portal will provide a single platform for candidates seeking jobs in central universities.
- They will register themselves on the portal and create a personalized dashboard for themselves. They will be able to track their applications in real-time, also can keep updating their application and transfer that to any CU which has advertised faculty positions.
- Registered applicants will also get an auto email informing them about the new vacancies advertised by any CU.
- The platform also enables universities to track applications in real time. The portal will also provide real-time analysis and insights into the application process.
- The screening committee of the university concerned can view details of the applicants, and check the uploaded document against each entry.
- It is a completely user-friendly portal and caters to the needs of all the stakeholders in the recruitment process.
- UGC Chairman – M Jagadesh Kumar
India’s domestic coal production rises by over 22 % during last 5 years
- India’s domestic coal production has risen by over 22 percent during the last five years.
- The country’s overall coal production has seen a quantum jump to 893.08 million tonnes in the Financial Year 2022-23 as compared to 728.72 million tonnes in the Financial Year 2018-2019 with a growth of about 22.6 percent.
- The priority of the Ministry is to enhance domestic coal production to reduce the dependence on substitutable coal imports.
- The production of Coal India Limited (CIL) has increased by 703.21 million tonnes as compared to 606.89 million tonnes in the Financial Year 2018-2019 with a growth of 15.9 percent in the last five years.
Microsoft Launches Two New Initiatives to Support Indian SMBs
- Microsoft India has introduced two new initiatives namely an SMB-focused website and a dedicated helpline.
- The SMB-focused website – Microsoft for Small and Medium Businesses, aims at bringing together business owners and entrepreneurs in India to network with peers, enhance their skills and achieve holistic growth.
- While the Digital Transformation helpline offers dedicated support to help SMBs navigate their technological adoption and deployment journey.
Microsoft for Small and Medium Businesses–
- This website is a repository of skills, resources and tools to cater to every requirement of a business.
- It offers an SMB Academy to gain valuable digital skills and improve workforce productivity with access to Microsoft’s top curated business and technology courses, as well as inspiring stories of businesses from around the country.
Digital Transformation Helpline –
- Available at 1800-102-1147, this helpline offers SMBs dedicated support to navigate their digital transformation journey seamlessly.
- The helpline provides expert guidance and assistance in leveraging technology solutions that best address their business challenges, improve operations, increase efficiency and drive growth.
Telangana Govt Implement Insurance Scheme for Toddy Tappers
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has introduced the ‘Geetha Karmikula Bhima’ (insurance for toddy tappers) on the lines of Rythu Bhima for farmers.
- Insurance money of Rs five lakh would be deposited directly in the bank account of the respective family members in case any toddy tapper dies accidentally while collecting toddy from palm trees in the fields.
- The insurance amount will be disbursed within a week of the accident, which is much faster than the current ex-gratia process.
- Established – 2 June 2014
- Capital – Hyderabad
- Chief Minister – K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor – Tamilisai Soundararajan
Recent schemes/apps/portals launched by Telangana government
- Arogya Mahila health programme
- Rythu Bandh Scheme
- Aasara’ pension Scheme
- Urban Forest Park’ Mobile App
- Mana Ooru Mana Badi programme
- Nethanna Bima scheme
- Nethanna Ku Bima Scheme
Anurag Thakur launches logo, mascot of Khelo India University Games 2022
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Thakur has launched the Logo, jersey, mascot, torch, and anthem of the Khelo India University Games 2022 (KIUG 2022) in Lucknow, UP.
- The 3rd edition of the Khelo India University Games will take place from May 23 to June 3. The opening ceremony is scheduled for May 25 at the Babu Banarasi Das University in Lucknow.
- The upcoming edition of the KIUG is expected to have participation of more than 4700 athletes from more than 200 universities across the country, with total participation reaching to over 7000.
About Uttar Pradesh
- Capital – Lucknow
- Chief Minister – Yogi Adityanath
- Governor – Anandiben Patel
UAE launches ‘Machines Can See 2023’ Summit
- The UAE government has launched the ‘Machines Can See 2023’ Summit.
- It is one of the international conferences in Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the whole region, taking place at the Museum of the Future in Dubai, in partnership between Artificial Intelligence, Digital Economy, and Remote Work Applications Office and ‘Machines Can See’ company.
- The conference aims to bring together experts from around the world to discuss the future of AI and its potential in contributing to the UAE’s vision of creating the next Silicon Valley.
- The event was hosted in collaboration with Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism and the Dubai Future Foundation. The summit featured presentations and panel discussions from various experts in the field of AI.
About United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Capital – Abu Dhabi
- Currency – Dirham
- President – Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Prime Minister – Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Official language -Arabic
Banking and Financial
Airtel Payments Bank Introduces Face Authentication for Aadhaar-enabled Payment System
- Airtel Payments Bank collaborated with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to roll out Face Authentication for AePS (Aadhaar-enabled Payment System) at its 500,000 banking points.
- Airtel Payments Bank is amongst the first four banks to offer Face Authentication for AePS in the country.
- NPCI’s AePS allows customers to carry out financial and non-financial transactions at any banking point using their Aadhaar number or virtual ID to access their Aadhaar-linked bank account.
- Until now, transactions were being authenticated using the customer’s Aadhaar number and fingerprint or Iris match in the UIDAI records.
- The new facility will enable customers to validate the transaction by undertaking face authentication along with the Aadhaar number.
- The authentication is processed using the Face Authentication RD Application by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
Recent Facilities Launched in Banks & Insurance Sector
- HDFC Bank introduced a digital distribution platform HDFC Bank Smart Sarthi
- Canara Bank launched Digitalized Submission of Form 15G/15H with Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH)
- South Indian Bank debuts 2 flexible savings accounts SIB SEAFARER and SIB PULSE for NRIs
- AU Small Finance Bank launches bill payments via video banking
- City Union Bank launches India’s 1st Voice Biometric Authentication Banking App
RBI, BIS launch global technology competition ‘G20 TechSprint’
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Bank for International Settlements (BIS) have launched G20 TechSprint, a global technology competition.
- RBI and the BIS Innovation Hub have jointly announced the fourth edition of the G20 TechSprint.
- TechSprint 2023 will focus on developing innovative technology solutions for cross-border payments.
- The competition is open for developers around the world for submitting application from today to 4th June. The results will be announced at a final event in August or September this year.
- Shortlisted teams will be invited to develop their solutions over a six-week period and each team will be eligible for a stipend of eight lakh rupees approximately 10,000 US dollar.
- The winners for each problem statement will receive an award of forty lakh rupees approximately 50,000 US dollar.
Appointment and Resignation
PM Prasad to be next Coal India chief
- The Public Enterprises Selection Board (PSEB) has recommended Central Coalfields CMD Polavarapu Mallikharjuna Prasad as the next Chairman and Managing Director of Coal India (CIL).
- Prasad is expected to take charge of India’s largest coal miner accounting for almost 80 percent of the mined commodity from July 1.
- A mining engineer from Osmania University, Prasad took over as the CCL CMD on September 2020, and has more than three decades of experience in the mining sector.
- He is credited for the diversion of Nallah at Hingula opencast area to unlock coal reserve of 26 million tonnes (MT) in FY15 and the commencement of a new railway siding at the Talcher Coalfields.
- In 2015, he joined NTPC as Executive Director (Coal Mining) and Northern Coalfields Limited (NCL) in 2018 as Director of Technical (P&P).
- CEO of Qantas Airline – Vanessa Hudson
- Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission – Dr. Ajit Kumar Mohanty
- CEO of Vodafone – Margherita Della Valle
- Chief Operating Officer of SpiceJet – Arun Kashyap
- President of Indian Cycling Federation – Pankaj Singh
Luca Brecel wins World Snooker Championship
- Belgium’s Luca Brecel became the first player from continental Europe to win World Snooker Championship.
- He beat four-time champion Mark Selby 18-15.
- The 28-year-old, who had never won a match at the World Championship before this year’s edition.
- The World Snooker Championship is the longest-running and most prestigious tournament in professional snooker.
- First held in 1927, it is now one of the three tournaments that make up snooker’s Triple Crown Series.
South Africa fast bowler Shabnim Ismail announced her retirement
- South African fast bowler Shabnim Ismail has announced her retirement from international cricket.
- Ismail, the quickest bowler in the women’s game, played a total of 241 international matches and took 317 wickets across all formats.
- Ismail (34) claimed 191 wickets in ODIs which is second only to India’s Jhulan Goswami (255) on the all-time list.
- Ismail played in 241 international matches across one-day Internationals, Twenty20s and tests, and last appeared in February’s World Cup final loss to Australia at Newlands.
Recently Retired Players
- Gary Ballance – All forms of cricket – England
- Shaun Marsh – First-class cricket – Australia
- Sergio Ramos – International football – Spain
- Eoin Morgan – All forms of cricket – England
- Kamran Akmal – All forms of professional cricket – Pakistan
5 May – World Portuguese Language Day
- World Portuguese Language Day is celebrated every year on May 5.
- It is dedicated to highlighting the Portuguese language. It plays a role in bringing the Portuguese people together and in preserving their culture and identity Portuguese is one of the most widespread languages in the world.
- It has more than 265 million speakers across the globe and is the most widely spoken language in the Southern Hemisphere.
- This makes the Portuguese language the sixth most spoken language in the world.
- The language evolved over time, and around the 14th century, Portuguese emerged as its descendant. People who speak Portuguese are referred to as Lusophones. The preponderance of Lusophones currently resides in Brazil.
5 May – World Hand Hygiene Day
- World Hand Hygiene Day is observed on the 5th of May every year.
- Objective – To promote the importance of hand hygiene in preventing the spread of infection and promoting good health.
- Theme 2023 – Together, we can accelerate action to prevent infections and antimicrobial resistance in health care and build a culture of safety and quality in which hand hygiene improvement is given high priority.
- The focus this year is to cultivate actions towards hygiene that will further reduce risk of infections, etc.
- The history of World Hand Hygiene Day can be traced back to the year 2009 when the World Health Organization (WHO) launched the first Global Patient Safety Challenge, which called for a worldwide commitment to improving the safety of healthcare workers and patients.
5 May 2023 – Buddha Purnima
- Buddha Purnima, also known as Buddha Jayanti, is being celebrated on 5 May 2023.
- The day marks the birth anniversary of Lord Gautam Buddha, revered as the founding figure of Buddhism.
- The day is celebrated in a grand manner by Buddhists around the world, who organise charitable activities, and processions and visit temples on the occasion.
- Buddha Purnima is marked on a full moon day in the month of Vaisakh. This year, it falls on May 5. The date coincides with Penumbral Lunar Eclipse.
- While the precise dates of Buddha’s birth and death are unknown, historians typically estimate his lifespan to be between 563-483 BC.
- This year marks the 2585th birth anniversary of Gautam Buddha.
- Buddha was born in Lumbini, Nepal. He attained Nirvana at the age of 35.
Tamil actor Manobala passes away
- Popular Tamil actor, comedian, director, and producer Manobala passed away at the age of 69.
- Starting his career working under legendary filmmaker Bharathirajaa, Manobala had eventually made his directorial debut with Agaya Gangai in 1982.
- Over the years he would go on to make movies with top stars including Rajinikanth, Vijayakanth and Sathyaraj. He had also played supporting roles in a slew of Tamil-language films.
Download Online Mock Test Mobile APP
Recommended PDF’s for 2023:
- Computer Capsule 2023 : Download PDF
- Banking Awareness (Theory+MCQs) Complete PDF : Download Now
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS , RBI, SBI, LIC AAO , LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
2023 Preparation Kit PDF
Most important PDF’s for Bank, SSC, Railway and Other Government Exam : Download PDF Now
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Static GK/Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Banking Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|Computer Awareness Capsule 2.O||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise PDF 2020||Get PDF here|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2.O E-book||Get PDF here|