Pingali Venkayya 144th birth anniversary
Born on August 2, 1876 in Machilipatnam, Andhra Pradesh, Pingali Venkayya was a Gandhian ideologist, a linguist, geolist and a writer. On his 144th birth anniversary, let’s take a look at some lesser-known facts about the man who designed India’s national flag.
- Pingali Venkayya was an Indian freedom fighter who also designed the national flag.
- Venkayya was born near Machilipatnam (now in Andhra Pradesh), and followed the Gandhian ideologies. He was also a linguist, geologist and a writer.
- In 1913, he delivered a full-length speech in Japanese. Such a feat earned him the titles like ‘Japan Venkayya’, ‘Patti (cotton) Venkayya’ and ‘Jhanda Venkayya’.
More about him:
- It was during his stint with the British Army that the 19-year-old met Mahatma Gandhi in Africa. Venkayya’s association with Mahatma Gandhi lasted over 50 years.
- He also published a book in 1916 offering thirty designs of what could make the Indian flag.
- Throughout all Congress sessions between 1918 and 1921, he relentlessly put forward the idea of having a flag of our own. Venkayya’s design for the National Flag was finally approved by Mahatma Gandhi in a Congress meeting in Vijayawada in 1921.
- The flag had the saffron, white and green stripes with the spinning wheel placed in the white section.
- It was hoisted on April 13, 1923 in Nagpur during an event commemorating the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre.
- It was named the Swaraj Flag and became the symbol of India’s demand for self-rule led by the Indian National Congress.
- The resolution to adopt the tricolor as the National Flag of India was passed in 1931.
- On July 22, 1947, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Swaraj Flag as the National Flag of Sovereign India with the Ashok Chakra replacing the spinning wheel.
- The Flag Code India (2002), Prevention of Improper Use of Emblems and Names Act (1950), and the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act (1971) govern the display, representation and handling of the Indian National Flag.
Telegram Group: Join
2020 Preparation Kit PDF
|I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION (DI) 2020 E-book||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK||Get PDF here|