Superstar India at Common Wealth Games 2022
India finally reached at the 4th spot in the table tally of the 2022 Commonwealth Games with 61 medals. The Indian contingent of athletes has successfully won 22 gold, 16 silver and 23 bronze medals at concluded Commonwealth Games 2022.
Indian athletes won total 61 medals across 12 different sports in which a historic gold medal in lawn bowls is also included while wrestlers made India proud once again.
About Common Wealth Games 2022:
The Common Wealth Games 2022 is also officially known as Birmingham Games 2022 because it is organized in Birmingham, England.
All 72 common Wealth Games associations had participated in Birmingham Games 2022.
Opening Ceremony: The opening ceremony of the 2022 Commonwealth Games was organized at Alexander Stadium on 28 July 2022.
Indian badminton player PV Sindhu was the flag bearer at the opening ceremony after Neeraj Chopra’s injury.
Closing Ceremony: The closing ceremony is also held at Alexander Stadium on 8 August 2022. The closing ceremony event included the formal handover to Victoria which is the host of the 2026 Commonwealth Games.
Star paddler Sharath Kamal and world champion boxer Nikhat Zareen have been selected for the flag bearer of India in closing ceremony.
First time included games:
In Birmingham 2022 3×3 basketball and its wheelchair counterpart games are included for the first time.
Important medals won by India:
India’s campaign in Birmingham completed with gold medals for PV Sindhu, Lakshya Sen and Satwiksairaj-Chirag Shetty in badminton and Sharath Kamal in table tennis. Sathiyan G won bronze in Table Tennis. The men’s hockey team clinched silver medal after losing in the final.
Weightlifters Sanket Sargar, Gururaja Poojary, Bindyarani Devi and Mirabai Chanu won medal for India.
In the individual discipline India topped medal tally in wrestling, weightlifting, badminton, table tennis and para table tennis.
The Indian wrestlers won medals in all events for the second time in a row. Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat made record for winning hat-trick of gold medals.
For the first time in the history of the Commonwealth Games, India’s both the men’s and women’s hockey team won medals in event in the same edition. Men’s team won silver medal while women’s team won bronze medal.
Indian women’s lawn ball team created history:
The women’s fours lawn bowls fours team made the history by winning India’s first medal in the sport after claiming for gold. The men’s team has also won a silver medal.
Table tally of Birmingham Games 2022:
The list of 22 Gold medals by India:
- Mirabai Chanu : Weightlifting : 49kg : Manipur
- Jeremy Lairinnunga : Weightlifting : 67kg : Mizoram
- Achinta Sheuli : Weightlifting : 73kg : West Bengal
- Sudhir : Heavyweight [Para Powerlifting] : Haryana
- Deepak Punia : Wrestling : 68kg : Haryana
- Ravi Dahiya : Wrestling : 57kg : Haryana
- Bajrang Punia : Wrestling : 65kg : Haryana
- Sakshi Malik : Freestyle Wrestling : 62kg : Haryana.
- Vinesh Phogat : Wrestling : 53kg : Haryana.
- Naveen Kumar : Wrestling : 74kg.
- Bhavina Patel : Table Tennis [Para] : Gujarat.
- Amit Panghal : Boxing : 51kg : Haryana.
- Nitu Ghanghas : Boxing : 48kg : Haryana.
- Eldhose Paul : Triple Jump : Kerala.
- Nikhat Zareen : Boxing : Andhra Pradesh.
- V. Sindhu : Badminton : Women’s Single : Telangana
- Sharath Kamal [Tamil Nadu] & Sreeja Akula [Telangana]. Table Tennis : Mixed Double :
- Lakshya Sen : Badminton : Men’s Single : Uttrakhand
- Satwikraj Ranireddy [ Andhra Pradesh] & Chirag Shetty [Maharashtra] : Badminton : Men’s Double
- Achanta Sharath Kamal : Table Tennis : Men’s Single : Tamil Nadu
- Lovely Choubey, Rupa Rani, Nayanmoni Saikia & Pinki : Lawn Bowls
- Sunil Chetri, Sharath Kamal, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran & Harmeet Desai : Table Tennis
The list of 16 Silver medals by India:
- Sanket Sarkar : Weightlifting : 55kg : West Bengal.
- Bidyarani Devi : Weightlifting : 55kg : Manipur.
- Likmabam S Devi : Judo : 48kg : Manipur.
- Vikas Thakur : Weightlifting : 96kg : Punjab.
- Tulika Maan : Judo : 78kg : Delhi.
- Murali Sreeshankar : Long Jump : Kerala.
- Anshu Malik : Wrestling : 57kg : Haryana.
- Avinash Sable : Steeplechase : Maharashtra.
- Priyanka Goswami : Walk : Uttar Pradesh.
- Aboobacker : Triple Jump : Kerala.
- Sagar Ahlawat : Boxing : 92+kg : Haryana
- Indian Women’s Cricket Team
- Indian Men’s Hockey Team
- Sharath & Sathiyan : Double Table Tennis : Both Tamil Nadu
- Indian Badminton Mix Team
- Men’s Four Lawn Bowl Team
The list of 23 Bronze medals by India:
- Gururaja Poojary : Weightlifting : 61kg
- Vijay K. Yadav : Judo : 60kg
- Harjinder Kaur : Weightlifting : 71kg
- Tejaswin Shankar : High Jump
- Lovepreet Singh : Weightlifting : 109kg
- Gurdeep Singh : Weightlifting : 109kg+
- Sourav Ghosal : Squash
- Divya Kakran : Wrestling : 68kg
- Mohit Grewal : Wrestling : 125kg.
- Pooja Gehlot : Wrestling : 50kg.
- Pooja Sihag : Wrestling : 76kg.
- Deepak Nehra : Wrestling : 97kg.
- Jasmine Lamboria : Boxing : 60kg.
- Rohit Tokas : Boxing : 67kg.
- Mohammad Hussamddin : Boxing : 57kg.
- Sonalben Monubhai Patel : Table Tennis [Para].
- Annu Rani : Juvelin Throw
- Sourav Ghosal & Dipika Pallikal : Squash : Mixed Double
- Srikanth Kidambi : Badminton : Men’s Single
- Treesa Jolly & Gayatri Gopichand : Badminton : Women’s Double
- Sathiyan Gnanasekaran : Table Tennis : Men’s Single
- India women’s hockey Team
Some interesting and important points in the event:
- India’s flag Bearer at the Opening Ceremony : P. V Sindhu & Manpreet Singh.
- India’s Youngest Athlete : Anahat Singh : 14th Years Old : Squash : Delhi.
- MiraBai Chanu got 1st Gold Medal in Commonwealth Games 2022.
- Sanket Mahadev Sargar got 1st Medal in Commonwealth Games 2022.
Question & Answer:
Q1. Recently concluded Commonwealth Games 2022 has organized at which place?
Ans. Birmingham in United Kingdom
Q2. Which country topped the table tally of Birmingham Games 2022?
Q3. Who is the opening ceremony flag bearer for India?
Ans. PV Sindhu
Q4. Who is the flag bearer of closing ceremony from India?
Ans. Sharath Kamal and Nikhat Zareen
Q5. What is the rank of India in the table tally of Birmingham Games 2022?
Ans. 4th (G-22, S-16, B-23 and Total-61)