The Hindu Editorial Analysis:
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
Status beyond faith
- The centre has appointed a commission of three members for checking the sensitive issue of extending scheduled castes status to all those who have historically suffered untouchability and discrimination.
- It is a task fraught with difficulty for the panel headed by former Chief justice of India ,K.G Balakrishna as it has to grapple with both social realities and ideological objections while addressing the core questions.
- It is a seminal and historical complex sociological and constitutional question described by the government.
- The panel’s appointment comes in the wake of a court asking the centre to clarify its position on the issue.This is not the first time that the issue comes after the supreme court.
- In 1985,the supreme court agreed that the historical discrimination may continue even after members of the SCs convert to other religions.
- It is to be welcomed that the Balakrishna commission has been asked specifically to check the changes that Dalits face after conversion in terms of their social status and the discrimination they may face.
- National commission for religious and linguistic minorities,headed by retired Chief justice Ranganath Swami also examined the issue.
- In 2007,the panel made a recommendation in favour of giving the SC status to Dalits belonging to all religions.
- It found the caste system a social phenomenon in India shared by almost all communities.
- While the tenets of religion does not allow the discrimination but the ground reality is different.
- Discrimination and deprivation being the consequences of the caste based Hindus and the sc status should be extend to those who converted into Christianity and Islam.
- The share of reservation to Dalits may shrink if any new sections are included ,it becomes another objection.
- The commission will have to come up with a definitive study of this complex issue.
- For whom the SC status should not be extended?
- Explain the matter for which the three member Commission had made.
- What recommendation was made by the panel in 2007?
- By whom is the national commission for religious and linguistic minorities,headed by?
- Why has the centre appointed a commission of three members?
- Tenets- principles or beliefs
- Fraught- filled with something unpleasant.
- Linguistic- the study of language.
- Grapple- to get a hold of something and fight with or try to control it.
- Deprivation- the state of being kept from possessing enjoyment.
- Shrink- to become smaller or make something smaller.