Table of Contents
The Hindu Editorial Analysis
The Importance of Reading The Hindu Editorial: Reading The Hindu newspaper has several benefits, including improving reading skills, facilitating comprehension, staying informed of current events, enhancing essay writing, and more. For individuals aiming for a career in banking, reading editorials is crucial for vocabulary building. In this article, we will examine today’s editorials, provide practice questions, and highlight important vocabulary words.
Time and remains.
- Sporadically but surely, paleontologists report intriguing discoveries from India. In January, a team discovered 92 dinosaur nesting sites with 256 fossilized eggs of the titanosaurus — among the largest of its kind, from 100-66 million years ago, when ‘India’ was a continent and yet to merge into the Eurasian land mass.
- Similarly, the deserts of Kutch, Gujarat and the Deccan traps in Maharashtra bear witness to the forces that shaped the diverse geography, and tangentially the history of the most populous country.
- Unlike the quest to preserve cultural history and man-made artifacts from archaeology, there has been limited effort to preserve and communicate at large this natural ‘geo-history’ such as rock formations, sediment and fossils.
- For decades now, researchers have been warning that this neglect is leading to an erasure of this history from the public mind and a destruction as well as appropriation of this natural wealth.
- To that end, the draft Geo-heritage Sites and Geo-relics (Preservation and Maintenance) Bill, 2022, piloted by the Ministry of Mines, is seen as a step to give the process of such conservation firmer footing.
- The Bill’s provisions give the Director General of the Geological Survey of India (GSI), a subordinate body of the Ministry of Mines, the power to declare sites as having ‘geo-heritage’ value, take possession of relics (fossils, rocks) that rest in private hands, prohibit construction 100 meters around such a site.
- penalize — with fines of up to ₹5 lakh and possibly imprisonment — vandalism,defacement, and violations of directives by the
- Director General of the GSI.This has rankled experts who work outside the GSI-fold in central and State universities, institutes of national importance and private organizations who fear that such absolute vesting of powers in the GSI alone may impede palaeontological research.
- They demand a more inclusive body, on the lines of a National Geoheritage Authority, that can, more democratically, decide on declaring sites as being of ‘geohistorical’ importance and how best to preserve artifacts and finds.
- How many dinosaur nesting and fossilized eggs were discovered in January ?
- Why has the penalty of Rs. 5 lakh been applied by the Director General of GSI?
- Artifacts– an object that is made by a person
- Paleontology– the scientific study of fossils
- Impede– to make it difficult for somebody
- Intriguing– puzzled like
- Sporadically– irregular