The Hindu Editorial Analysis:
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
Examine the EWS Quota:
- Currently there is a steaming debate circulating across the country and at the highest court in India.
- Chief Justice of India Uday Umesh Lalit is evaluating the controversial EWS Quota.
- According to the system of this quota 10 percent of government vacancies and seats in the government and government aided educational institutions are preserved for economically weaker sections in which only the general category is eligible.
- If a person who belongs to the general category has income of not above 8 lakh rupees is eligible for EWS Quota.
- Now this Quota is being examined by the bench of supreme court led by chief justice Uday Umesh Lalit.
- There are several issues that are against this EWS Quota.
- Among those issues only three issues have been selected by the bench for debate.
- The first one is whether this special quota is breaching the basic structure of the constitution because of its nature of special quota.
- Second is whether it is related to private educational institutions means private educational institutions could provide this quota.
- Third is whether the exclusion of other categories from this EWS Quota is constitutionally right or not.
- These above mentioned three issues are important and debatable according to the other party who filed a plea against this.
- The definition of economically weaker sections is also in apprehensions.
- This legislation of this special reservation was done in 2019 ,now it is a valid question whether the implementation of this reservation has been done without proper details, transparency and without being constitutionally right.
- The definition of being economically weak if the income is below 8 lakh per annum does not correspond to any government data and survey.
- According to the NSSO survey, there are many people who come to this EWS Quota because of its eligibility criteria of having income below 8 lakh per annum.
- It is also seen that in many superior exams and entrances like UPSC,the cut off for the EWS category is lower than the OBC category.
- In this scenario it becomes a little doubtful to exclude other categories from this Quota.
- Now the bench led by chief justice of India Uday Umesh Lalit will decide whether this reservation needs an amendment or not.
- Give a brief description about EWS reservation in government jobs and entrance exams.
- Give your reasons to prove that EWS Quota needs new definitions.
- What are the main issues of EWS Quota that have come before the supreme court ?
Exclusion: the process of keeping out
Explicitly: in a clear manner
Discriminatory: showing an unfair distinction
Chunk: connect items or things so that they can act like a single entity
Permit: officially allow
Diligence: careful and persistent efforts