The Hindu Editorial Analysis:
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
The halting side.
- The United States of America and China have agreed to more “responsibly”manage their increasingly fractious relations , following a meeting between President Joe Biden and Xi Jinping .
- In their first face to face meeting, since, Mr. Biden assumed the U.S presidency, in Bali on November 14,2022 ahead of the G-20 summit , they appeared to agree that the downward side in relations, especially in the wake of US house speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan in August, suited neither side.
- The biggest takeaway is the agreement that “competition should not veer into conflict” and that both must, as the white House put it in a statement, “manage the competition responsibly and maintain open lines of communication”.
- Xi echoed that sentiment by saying “relations should not be a zero sum game where one side out competes or thrives at the expense of the other”.
- To that end both sides have reopened dialogues that remained frozen since Ms Pelosi’s Taiwan visit , starting with working together on climate change,a key challenge that cannot be addressed without the world’s two biggest polluters.
- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken will now travel to China, while other suspended joint working groups, including on global economic stability, debt relief, food security and health security.
- While the resumption in contact is certainly significant,it is, however only a first and tentative step towards stabilizing an increasingly fraught relationship, nice of the substantive differences had been resolved.
- Biden “raised concerns” about Xi Jinping Tibet ,and Hong Kong,while Mr.Xi retorted that “no country has a perfect democratic system”.
- Should Ms.Pelosi, likely successor to Republican leader Kevin McCarthy , go ahead with his already declared plan to visit Taiwan , relations may yet again be plunged into crisis.
- While the thaw in ties between the world’s two biggest powers will be welcomed in most Asian capitals that are wary of a brewing cold war, the respite may yet turn out to be belief.
- What did the US and China agree to?
- What was the agreement between Joe Biden and Xi Jinping?
- Why did Mr Biden raise concerns about Xi Jinping?
- Thaw- to become or to make something soft
- Plunged- to jump,drop or fall
- Retort- to reply quickly to what somebody says
- Resumption- beginning again or continuing after pause
- Thrive- to grow or develop well