The Hindu Editorial Analysis 19th Sep 2022
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
Clash in Caucasus.
- The fear of the next war in the Caucasus has been raised by the violent border clash between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
- In 2020,both the countries had fought a disastrous war over the disputed region Nagorno-Karabakh.
- After the 2020 clash, tension remained the same between the two countries,but Tuesday’s clash was the deadliest since 2020.
- Armenia and Azerbaijan blamed each other ,but according to the reports fighting took on the Armenian side and Armenia took heavier casualties.
- This all happened when Russia -Armenia’s security ally has been struggling to hold his command in Ukraine.
- Nagorno-Karabakh dispute goes back to the pre-soviet era.When USSR was formed,then the Armenian majority became part of the Azerbaijan Soviet republic.But after some years when USSR collapsed and Azerbaijan and Armenia became independent then the clashes evolved.
- The Armenian rebels in Nagorno-Karabakh joined Armenia and fought off with the Azeri forces.Both the countries did not reached to any peace treaty till now.
- In the 2020 conflict, Azerbaijan got military and diplomatic support from Turkey and Armenia got support from Russia.
- Europe had stopped the import of gas supplies from Russia after the Russia-Ukraine war.
- Now on the other hand ,gas rich Azerbaijan is being courted by Europe for increased gas supplies.
- These regional developments seem to have emboldened Azerbaijan but it could be costly for everyone.
- Russia will find it difficult to gain its influence over Central Asia and at the same time getting dragged into another battle would be challenging for Russia.
- A conflict in the Caucasus would further shook the energy markets,giving hurt to all economies especially energy starved Europe
- On the other ,for Turkey another war in its neighborhood would further complicate it’s foreign policy choices
- Explain the Nagorno-Karabakh dispute over Armenia and Azerbaijan.
- Discuss the consequences faced by Turkey and Russia if they will get dragged into the Armenia-Azerbaijan war.
- Discussion the points that why Azerbaijan is one step ahead then Armenia.
- Emboldened – give someone the confidence to do something.
- Clash– to argue or fight over something.
- Courted – plead,beg
- Casualty- someone injured or killed.