The Hindu Editorial Analysis
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
- The unanimous decision by the house committee investigating the January 6 attack on the US Capitol to refer Donald Trump to the Justice department for potential criminal charges is a setback for the former President ,who has announced his re-election bid for 2024 , and could turn US politics more turbulent.
- The committee appointed by the outgoing democrats controlled house and made up of seven democrats and two republicans,alleges that Mr.Trump disseminated false allegations about the 2020 election results and provoked his supporters to launch violence.
- It recommended Mr. Trump prosecution for incitement of an insurrection , conspiracy to defraud the country, obstruction of an official proceeding of Congress and conspiracy to make false statements.
- Trump’s troubles are only growing, earlier this month, the Trump organization his family business was convicted of criminal tax fraud.
- The FBI is probing Mr.Trump’s handling of classified documents.
- In Georgia,Mr.Trump and his aides are under investigation for allegedly trying to overturn election results.
- Besides, the justice department has appointed a special counsel,Jack Smith, to investigate the January 6 riots and Mr Trump’s alleged role in it.
- The house committee criminal referral does not have any legal weight as Congress cannot interfere with the Justice department’s decision.
- Attorney-general Merrick Garland can make an independent assessment of the referral and the evidence cited in the panel’s report and then take a decision.
- There is no doubt that Mr.Trump’s response to the January 6 riots was utterly unpresidential and gravely irresponsible.
- The committee found that he was in the oval office watching the riots on TV ,and refused to issue a statement asking his supporters to disperse .
- While this behavior along with the refusal to immediately accept the election results, makes him morally incapacitated to hold the high office again, the question before Mr.Garland is of having enough evidence to prosecute Mr.Trump.
- On the other side , the former President, who still commands a loyal base,would use the criminal referral by a democrats majority committee.
- What happened on January 6 and why Mr.Trump had charged for this?
- What did the committee find after discussion?
- What does the attorney general Merrick Garland could make?
- Disperse- to separate and go in different directions
- Utterly- something similar to completely
- Animous- a feeling of hate or anger towards someone or something
- Insurrection- violent action against the rulers of a country
- Provoke- to cause a particular feeling