Table of Contents
The Hindu Editorial Analysis
The Importance of Reading The Hindu Editorial: Reading The Hindu newspaper has several benefits, including improving reading skills, facilitating comprehension, staying informed of current events, enhancing essay writing, and more. For individuals aiming for a career in banking, reading editorials is crucial for vocabulary building. In this article, we will examine today’s editorials, provide practice questions, and highlight important vocabulary words.
- Two notable aspects of the southwest monsoon (June-September) were evident. After four years, we experienced a monsoon slightly below the average, with cumulative rainfall measuring 82 cm, which was equivalent to 94.4% of the long-term average.
- Within this overall statistic, what stood out were the significant monthly fluctuations in rainfall. While July and September saw rainfall at 113% of the long-term average, August witnessed a meager 64%.
- One consequence of climate change is the increased frequency and intensity of heavy rainfall events. The IPCC had projected that extreme daily precipitation events would intensify by 7% for every 1°C of global warming.
- This necessitates a shift in India’s agricultural policy, particularly concerning the cornerstone of the procurement system for rice and wheat.
- This system secures the supply for approximately 800 million people targeted by the Public Distribution System (PDS).
- The combination of the minimum support price and subsequent procurement guarantee forms the basis of a consistent supply, reducing operational risks for farmers.
- Consequently, several states like Telangana, Odisha, and Chhattisgarh have made concerted efforts to procure rice.
- However, a consequence of this trend is that India’s agricultural policy is not aligned with emerging climate risks.
- Rice, known for its high water requirements, is increasingly supported by tube wells, exacerbating water stress and hindering electricity reforms.
- The solution to break free from this predicament is to incentivize farmers to transition from paddy and wheat to millets. In 2023, the United Nations declared it the year of millets due to their nutritional and environmental benefits.
- Among cereals, millets not only require less water but are also more resilient to climate changes.
- Although India is the world’s largest producer of millets and the government encourages their cultivation, the reality is different.
- The area under millet cultivation has steadily decreased over the past decade, covering only 21.2 million hectares in 2022-23, which is barely half the area devoted to rice.
- To reverse this trend, the Indian government needs to support its intentions with a revised policy that places a higher priority on millet procurement.
- Farmers respond to both price and demand, and currently, the minimum support price lacks adequate procurement support.
- India’s climate adaptation strategy should aim to reduce economic risks associated with millet cultivation for farmers, and this can be achieved with relative ease.
- The way to break out of this logam is to incentivise farmers to shift from paddy and wheat to millets.Discuss
- Why do the combination of both minimum support price and a subsequent guarantee of procurement is the foundation of regular supply?
- Consent– to agree to something
- Compensatory– intended to recompense someone who has experienced loss
- Interoperable– able to exchange and make use of information
- Mandates– the power that is officially given to a group of people to do something,
- Castigate– to criticize, strongly oppose or punish somebody
Recommended PDF’s for 2023:
- Computer Capsule 2022 : Download PDF
- Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise Online Test Series 2022
- Banking Awareness (Theory+MCQ’s) Complete PDF : Download Now
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS , RBI, SBI, LIC AAO , LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
2023 Preparation Kit PDF
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Static GK/Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series- Banking Awareness Practice Ebook PDF||Get PDF here|
|Computer Awareness Capsule 2.O||Get PDF here|
|AATMA-NIRBHAR Series Quantitative Aptitude Topic-Wise PDF 2020||Get PDF here|
|Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered||Get PDF here|
|Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions||Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)||Get PDF here|
|ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2.O E-book||Get PDF here|